Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favorite thing about The Prestige how it constantly beats you around the head with stuff like this, and then the ending monologue mocks you for not spotting them all. It's wonderful.

Still one of my favorite movies to re-watch, it was really, really well done (and David Bowie as Tesla owned)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

Pathetic characters also toe a fine line between sympathetic and intolerably unlikable. George getting bullied by Biff makes you sympathise with him as you can understand the situation. Seeing him give in to a pushy neighbour over such a meaningless thing just makes you want to slap the man. Good decision to leave that scene out.
The breaking bad pilot did a wierd thing where the full pilot had a scene that the edit one (the one on netflix) doesn't that makes you sympathise with walt more. They cut out the scene where the student is mocking him while he washes the student's camero or whatever.

Without it I noticed that it makes walt look less sympathetic and more of a dick.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

KoRMaK posted:

The breaking bad pilot did a wierd thing where the full pilot had a scene that the edit one (the one on netflix) doesn't that makes you sympathise with walt more. They cut out the scene where the student is mocking him while he washes the student's camero or whatever.

Without it I noticed that it makes walt look less sympathetic and more of a dick.

That scene is still there on Netflix. It's the same student he chastised for not being in his assigned seat in class. The kid makes fun of him and takes a picture of him while he's cleaning the tires of the students car.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

7 Days in Hell shows this photo of the Williams Sisters with their adopted brother:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

poonchasta posted:

That scene is still there on Netflix. It's the same student he chastised for not being in his assigned seat in class. The kid makes fun of him and takes a picture of him while he's cleaning the tires of the students car.
Why was he cleaning the student's car?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

He worked at a car wash as a second job.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

fetish

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Idran posted:

He worked at a car wash as a second job.
Ah. Thanks.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
In the greatest horror film ever made, John Carpenters The Thing, Kurt Russell's character is established in his first scene as someone who solves his problems with liquor. The computer chess game he's playing inadvertently reveals itself as false by making illegal moves. Russell smiles and pours a glass of whiskey into the its wiring, destroying it.

At the end of the film after Russell successfully destroys the entire outpost, the long-missing Childs returns to camp and Russell is unsure whether he's human or a Thing.

They sit facing each other, fingering their weapons and sizing each other up, when Russell offers Childs a swig of whiskey. Childs accepts. Childs has just inadvertently revealed himself. Russell smiles.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Wait, how is that supposed to reveal him as a Thing?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

Wait, how is that supposed to reveal him as a Thing?

They established pretty early on that they were all preparing their own meals to avoid contamination. You could argue that Childs basically didn't give a gently caress at that point, but carpenter has said himself they were both armed in that scene and no rational person would accept a drink from someone they didn't know for sure was a Thing.

Also the parallels between Russell's bookend scenes are pretty stark.

speshl guy has a new favorite as of 04:28 on Sep 8, 2015

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was because you can't see the dude breathing like you can with Russell.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Welp I am a dumb idiot who originally thought they might both be humans. I must rewatch it.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There's no answer to that scene. Nobody knows, and trying to determine whether or not anyone is the thing through infinitesimal clues is an exercise in futility.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Coffee And Pie posted:

There's no answer to that scene. Nobody knows, and trying to determine whether or not anyone is the thing through infinitesimal clues is an exercise in futility.

How do you know that no one knows? Hmmmmm?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The prequel ruins that theory because at the end, Childes is wearing earrings.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

well, you see, in the video game that is a direct sequel,

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Alaois posted:

Dark Horsw Comic plebe

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yes there is no definitive answer to that scene, but symbolism and motifs are legitimate things that one may take into consideration when forming assumptions in film.

As for the breathing thing, I'm sure they didn't put this much thought into it but one of the symptoms of hypothermia or lowered body temperature is that the visibility of your breath becomes less pronounced, and Childs had spent a fair amount of time wandering around the arctic before returning to camp.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe they've said that the breath wasn't intentional.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Aphrodite posted:

I believe they've said that the breath wasn't intentional.

Maybe the entire cast is made up of Things and they're just covering up their Hollywood agenda? Makes u think:tinfoil:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Also the top was totally falling over guys, its me guys, I'm the one who solved movies

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

The prequel ruins that theory because at the end, Childes is wearing earrings.

That part of the prequel was stupid because it ruins the tension by giving a tell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

speshl guy posted:

In the greatest horror film ever made, John Carpenters The Thing, Kurt Russell's character is established in his first scene as someone who solves his problems with liquor. The computer chess game he's playing inadvertently reveals itself as false by making illegal moves. Russell smiles and pours a glass of whiskey into the its wiring, destroying it.

Except the computer doesn't make an illegal move. MacReady calls the computer a cheating bitch and pours a drink into it because he's drunk and it beat him, no other reason.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Professor Shark posted:

7 Days in Hell shows this photo of the Williams Sisters with their adopted brother:

Dude just because the family is black doesn't mean he automatically is

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Frostwerks posted:

Dude just because the family is black doesn't mean he automatically is

The crease suggests that his adoptive father didn't like him (because he was a huge rear end) and folded the photo over (or ripped him out and it was put back together later) to exclude him :confused:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alaois posted:

Some pharmaceutical CEO infects himself thinking The Thing is the secret to immortality and really takes a nose dive when BlackOps-Thing-Sniper-Ninja-Assassins show up.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Jedit posted:

Except the computer doesn't make an illegal move. MacReady calls the computer a cheating bitch and pours a drink into it because he's drunk and it beat him, no other reason.

Still an establishing moment, as it demonstrates MacReady will destroy something before he lets himself be beaten.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

That part of the prequel was stupid because it ruins the tension by giving a tell.

I disagree because it leads to an intense investigation while battling paranoia. If they released a version without lovely CG laid over the fantastic prop work, I would watch it just as often as the original.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

Still an establishing moment, as it demonstrates MacReady will destroy something before he lets himself be beaten.

It definitely is an establishing moment, but he destroys it because it beats him, not before.

Both Childes and Macready would be wary of the other if they're both human, but they're also pretty much hosed. Childes taking a swig of whiskey makes sense to me.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I always thought that the bottle was petrol they had been using to blow the base up and the other guy taking a drink was proof he was infected.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I always thought which one (if either of them) was a Thing didn't matter, and MacReady giving him a drink meant he also knew it didn't matter.

Even if neither of them is a Thing, they're still in a blown-up research base in Antarctica with no way of contacting the outside world. They're both already dead. Might as well have a drink.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Parasol Prophet posted:

I always thought which one (if either of them) was a Thing didn't matter, and MacReady giving him a drink meant he also knew it didn't matter.

Even if neither of them is a Thing, they're still in a blown-up research base in Antarctica with no way of contacting the outside world. They're both already dead. Might as well have a drink.

The great thing about the ending is how perfectly ambiguous it is, and no matter what the answer is it's still the perfect ending.

If MacReady is the Thing then he has infected Childs, who stupidly drinks, and has won.

If Childs is the Thing then he has given himself away by accepting the drink, and MacReady knows that careful Childs would never accept the drink. In the audio commentary it's mentioned that Kurt Russel was wearing a flame thrower in the scene that did not end up visible in the film.

If neither is the Thing then it shows how both have in a sense given up. They've dropped all sense of paranoia and security and simply share in a drink, because gently caress it.

Also how many loving times has the ending to The Thing been brought up in this thread? It's on like the first goddamn page.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

TrixRabbi posted:

it's still the perfect ending.
yeop

TrixRabbi posted:

Also how many loving times has the ending to The Thing been brought up in this thread? It's on like the first goddamn page.

Lots of goons are seemingly constantly in a scramble to be "right" on the Internet. I FIGURED IT OUT FIRST, I WIN!

Remember the insanity that was "That's the beauty of it; it doesn't do anything?" People were quoting obscure radio dramas from the 1920's in an attempt to be the most right on an online comedy forum.

Suck it up, kids: you don't know what happened. Was one of them a Thing? Both of them? Neither of them? That's what makes it so great--you don't know. You get to guess about it and mull it over and come to your own conclusion about how things turned out. There's no being "right" here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

yeop

Lots of goons are seemingly constantly in a scramble to be "right" on the Internet. I FIGURED IT OUT FIRST, I WIN!

Remember the insanity that was "That's the beauty of it; it doesn't do anything?" People were quoting obscure radio dramas from the 1920's in an attempt to be the most right on an online comedy forum.

Suck it up, kids: you don't know what happened. Was one of them a Thing? Both of them? Neither of them? That's what makes it so great--you don't know. You get to guess about it and mull it over and come to your own conclusion about how things turned out. There's no being "right" here.

He smugly posted, knowing he was right.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Both of them are The Thing and they are sharing in a victory drink.

End.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Chichevache posted:

He smugly posted, knowing he was right.

You don't even know how smug I was while writing that, dude

:smuggo: doesn't even come close

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Was there ever any resolution of that?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Maybe we're the real Things here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

deep down, aren't we all things