Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neo_Crimson posted:

We're on a forum that largely despises anime, and anime fans for good reason, so we have to try extra hard not to conform to the worst stereotypes.

Anime loving owns, you weirdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

boom boom boom posted:

my opinion about Dragonball Z Abridged is bad

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

We're on a forum that largely despises anime, and anime fans for good reason, so we have to try extra hard not to conform to the worst stereotypes.

Also, it's to be smug.

Well then go to GBS or blow your own brains about it you insufferable depressed retard.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Zorak legacy of ADTRW posters being incredibly depressive and self-loathing for liking anime is probably the only thing as bad as the 2002 lolicon threads.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Next time on Dragon Ball Z, this thread will be taking a short break.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-UFYX0gjOc

Welcome back.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I'm in #parallels on SynIRC again, and I've decided that instead of a playtest today, I'll be doing system talk and character creation. So if you want to figure out how to make your punchmans, ask questions about the system, hop on and say hi. I'll be setting up a voicechat hangout thing too and edit the details of that into this post.

edit: click here and be transported to an enchanted world of browser-based voicechat.

Fuego Fish fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 6, 2015

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Funimation dubbed Dragon Ball after Z? Huh, never knew that

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Farecoal posted:

Yeah, there were a couple of failed attempts to dub Dragonball, but until the Ocean Group dubbed DBZ, it didn't catch on in the States.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of original dragon ball

Petiso posted:

Anyways, there's someone doing a LP of the Attack of the Saiyans NDS game right now in case some of you are interested and don't usually visit the LP subforum.

This is pretty cool.
And this is amazing:

Panda with a gun is like, the most in character thing for a Dragonaball game.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Farecoal posted:

Yeah. I believe it was framed as like, the 'prequel' rather than the actual first half of the series.

Also: liked the latest episode of Super's approach to the Super Saiyan God transformation, though I find it curious how they omitted the backstory surrounding it. Unfortunately, now is where we're gonna really see how the fights will compare to the movies.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Dragonball was marketed very oddly on Toonami too. They tried to push it as more DBZ and another cool action series and really downplayed the comedy aspects in all their commercials.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

anyone else seen the new dbs episode?

goku's god transformation is grandiose as gently caress

at least it actually looks like a god is being born

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

i like that videl got to be an honorary super saiyan. i forget, did her hair go gold in BOG?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Enourmo posted:

i like that videl got to be an honorary super saiyan. i forget, did her hair go gold in BOG?

She just had a glowy pelvic area.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Her going blonde in DBS was actually pretty nice, and yeah, the transformation was extremely grandiose. Like ridiculously so. I was astounded after the SSJ Clouds had a hole and the days and seasons passed and they started vibrating the same seven shots of the characters involved for, like, six minutes.

Still, can't deny it truly felt like a god was born.

loving amazing LOL at Goku going "Maybe Gohan's kid ain't pure of heart"

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Condiv posted:

anyone else seen the new dbs episode?

goku's god transformation is grandiose as gently caress

at least it actually looks like a god is being born

I like that it seemed to blow a huge hole in the o-zone layer meaning everyone has cancer now.

e: That new dbza trailer isn't even a little funny.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Her dang embryo went super saiyan, if Pan comes out and stays dark haired her whole life I'm gonna be bummed.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nice to see I wasn't the only one who saw the moment as actually feeling like some divine nonsense was going on. It was like... the world started freaking the hell out at what was going on.

zelah posted:

Her dang embryo went super saiyan, if Pan comes out and stays dark haired her whole life I'm gonna be bummed.

Also now this oddly makes me want Videl to have pulled a Goku - being in contact with the Super Saiyans allowing her to copy their power, or something.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

sharktamer posted:

I like that it seemed to blow a huge hole in the o-zone layer meaning everyone has cancer now.

e: That new dbza trailer isn't even a little funny.

I chuckled a bit at 16's comeback, but otherwise yeah

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i kind of hope abridged doesn't cover buu. there's not much you can do with an arc that's already so goofy and they've already mined a lot of the basic jokes as much as they can.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Enourmo posted:

I wanted Vegeta to respond to her "it feels warm" with a "That's how we feel all the time ".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Watch him be written as popo's lovechild.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

i kind of hope abridged doesn't cover buu. there's not much you can do with an arc that's already so goofy and they've already mined a lot of the basic jokes as much as they can.

I dunno, I think there's still a fair bit of potential material - there'd just also be a lot more obvious stuff that they would need to work with/around. So for example, Saiyaman: In the original series, its a goofy send up of the tokusatsu genre - super sentai in particular. But one could easily run to opposite extremes of that - make Gohan an absolute weeaboo on top of a sentai nerd (perhaps even being why Tien went into isolation), or have him working for a company in some corporate hero gig, since one doesn't have to necessarily keep the secret in a gag dub.

Though yeah I really wouldn't be surprised if they tried to connect Buu and Popo - at the very least to try and tie in a Dumplin joke.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Watch him be written as popo's lovechild.

I can't wait for more use of the goku is a bad dad meme, even though it isn't actually true

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Astro Nut posted:

sentai nerd

I don't know about Sentai, but he sure does love Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills! :)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Namtab posted:

I can't wait for more use of the goku is a bad dad meme, even though it isn't actually true

Dragon Ball Super opens with Goku making Goten do his job and lets the child fall off a cliff as he eats.

Just a couple of months ago I decided to watch the first 'few' episodes of the Buu saga (ended up going all the way to the first few matches of the Martial Arts Tournament) and its got potential for sure. Goku, for example, talks to everyone via Kai when the tournament is brought up. He clearly is able to do this whenever he pleases, yet waited several years and only did it because fighting could happen. The deal with the witch lady also seemed to have been set up beforehand (as in, he knew he could ask for it and she'd be cool) and, again, he waited for years because he didn't feel like visiting his friends and family unless fighting could happen. There's some good poo poo there.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 7, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Dragon Ball Super opens with Goku making Goten do his job and lets the child fall off a cliff as he eats.

lol

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The deal with the witch lady also seemed to have been set up beforehand (as in, he knew he could ask for it and she'd be cool)

He first learned about this when he was a kid and she brought back Grandpa Gohan.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Namtab posted:

Yes bad is a bit of an understatement, he is a horrible dad.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I don't know about Sentai, but he sure does love Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters From Beverly Hills! :)

Oh my god I forgot about that. Maybe he got curious from all the names Vegeta rattled off and secretly binge watched the lot.

Also I just realised Goten will demand at least one Austin Powers reference.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I started reading the translation of Dragon Ball AF by Toyble linked in the OP. but it seems to end at chapter 4. Are there any translations past chapter 4 anywhere?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Dang, a lot of the fights during the leadup to Perfect Cell are really good.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
DBZ is a an action cartoon, in context Goku is a good dad. Now please STOP coming back to this topic over and over and over kind goons.

Instead let's have a serious conversation applying real life ideals to why Fred Flinstone is a bad dad. How could he let his baby daughter play with dinosaurs? SO irresponsible RIGHT?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

sharktamer posted:

DBZ is a an action cartoon, in context Goku is a good dad. Now please STOP coming back to this topic over and over and over kind goons.

Instead let's have a serious conversation applying real life ideals to why Fred Flinstone is a bad dad. How could he let his baby daughter play with dinosaurs? SO irresponsible RIGHT?

But he's not always the best dad...

He's not comically abusive like Abridged would have us believe, but he is not a model father

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 7, 2015

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
How could Goku be a bad dad? He loving came back from the dead to meet his son for the first time.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

My favorite part of this episode of Super is how Mr. Satan casually knocks Gohan down with one punch.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i heard that one night goku told his son that he was going out for some training at the corner dojo and then never came back

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sharktamer posted:

Fred Flintstone is in fact a real lovely dad and person. Even at the time he was made he was kinda supposed to be an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

zelah posted:

She's gonna be born with red hair and will be the successor to Gohan's potential.

• Locked thread