Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing I ever read in school, by far, was The Stone Angel.

The best was Fifth Business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I actually really liked the Wheel of Time series and still like it a lot, even if it drags quite a lot towards the middle of the series.

Other books I really liked:

Pretty much anything Discworld (of course).

The Abhorsen series by Garth Nix.

The Book of Joby.

Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion series.

The Passage

and a whole lot of other books that are failing to come to mind.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

Magnus Gallant posted:

when I was in middle school I hated dickens cause his prose was boring. I now appreciate it.

Same. It is cool being able to appreciate things you used to hate.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

DuckHuntDog posted:

Yeah it's a good thing to learn that just because you dislike something now doesn't mean you won't enjoy it in the future.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Magnus Gallant posted:

when I was in middle school I hated dickens cause his prose was boring. I now appreciate it.

Dickens is one of the best classical writers so I'm glad you appreciate it. Tale of two cities was like an ancient discworld novel tbh

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

DuckHuntDog posted:

It is more fun to hate everything, until you a ball of pure vileness, spittjng acid as you go.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I was homeschooled for most of my life and while that totally let me down in some pretty huge ways (like math fundamentals and all "science" falling in the bunk category due to purchasing curriculum from a company that was really into creationism) it was really awesome in some ways. The greatest gift my mom gave me as a kid was a love of books. She'd wake me and my sister up at 6 AM and we'd go lay on the couch while she read to us. She has a complete list of books that she read to us between the ages of 7 and like 15, and it's totally insane how many books we tore through. We read Anne of Green Gables and Watership Down and The Hiding Place and The Secret Garden and A Cricket in Times Square and The Hobbit, which was our least favorite due to long passages where loving nothing happens and my mom having chronic sinus infections all the way through that winter...that was a dark time. There are over a hundred novels on that list that she read out loud to us.

There was a pretty strong fundie Christian bent to a lot of what she read, and for some reason we read a poo poo ton of books about world war 2 and the holocaust, interspersed with "girl has a best friend who is an animal" books like Misty of Chincoteague. I'm amazed at some of the selections, though -- like, The Good Earth is one of my favorites, she read that to us when I was eight. That is not a book you read to an eight year old. But she explained the parts that were buried in subtext, and that taught me to look more deeply into books than just the story you read on the surface.

She still reads to her kids. Last I heard, she'd just finished reading Ender's Game to my ten year old brother. "We loved it, but some of the violence was a bit much. I liked that it had a strong theme about not complying with corruption." She's the best.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't read much at all. But I recently read The Martian by Andy Weir. That was pretty great.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The only book I've read multiple times is The House of Leaves so by that metric, it is probably my favorite book. I just love how dense and nigh on incomprehensible it is, almost Brechtian in the way you are forced to think about the text, not just diagetically but as a text in and of itself.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
the only book i've read

is homestuck

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Best: Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart
Worst: Bradley, Arthur - The Survivalist (Frontier Justice)

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Honorable mentions:
Cline, Ernest - Ready Player One
Puzo, Mario - The Godfather
King, Stephen - The Gunslinger
King, Stephen - The Stand
McCarthy, Cormac - The Road

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance

Meinberg posted:

The only book I've read multiple times is The House of Leaves so by that metric, it is probably my favorite book. I just love how dense and nigh on incomprehensible it is, almost Brechtian in the way you are forced to think about the text, not just diagetically but as a text in and of itself.
I love love love this book.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

merk posted:

Honorable mentions:
Cline, Ernest - Ready Player One

This my new favorite book. I basically devoured it in one sitting.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CapitalistPig posted:

This my new favorite book. I basically devoured it in one sitting.

There are a couple :rolleyes: moments but overall very good.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Merk we all know your favorite thing to read. It's other players in a game of high content mafia!

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

Merk we all know your favorite thing to read. It's other players in a game of high content mafia!

Probably true

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Meinberg posted:

I need you to read S. and tell me what you think of it.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
House of Leaves is good, but I feel like it sacrifices the story to maintain the ridiculousness of its form.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

My favorite part of House of Leaves is The Whalestoe Letters, though the semi-deleted scene where the House goes nuts is cool too.

"Perhaps I will alter the whole thing. Kill both children. Murder is a better word. Chad scrambling to escape, almost making it to the front door where Karen waits, until a corner in the foyer suddenly leaps forward and hews the boy in half. At the same time Navidson, by the kitchen, reaches for Daisy, only to arrive a fraction of a second too late, his fingers finding air, his eyes scratching after Daisy as she falls do her death. Let both parents experience that. Let their narcissisms find a new object to wither by. Douse them in infanticide. Drown them in blood."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 6, 2015

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

My favorite King book is On Writing. If you enjoy writing even a little, I can't recommend it enough.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
My state gets some things right.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/kansas-state-band-formation-is-nsfw-1728983145

I'm a KU fan but this is hilarious, not because it's high comedy but because they are still trying to say it's the Starship Enterprise.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My favourite book is probably Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my favorite book is the 2010-2011 Township of Keyport, NJ Phone Book

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

minoru suzuki posted:

my favorite book is the 2010-2011 Township of Keyport, NJ Phone Book

I can confirm that this is an excellent read.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eh, it's no 2006-2007

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've now managed to sprain the same ankle two nights in a row. What's wrong with me? :negative:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Little Mac posted:

My favorite King book is On Writing. If you enjoy writing even a little, I can't recommend it enough.

King needs to do more non-fiction - Danse Macabre is also fantastic, if quite a bit outdated by this point, thanks to 30-odd years of films.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

I generally select books to read that I know I'll enjoy, but the only book I've tried to read but couldn't finish was Norwegian Wood. It was just so boring.

I really like Murakami, and I do think he's a better short story writer than novelist because his novels tend to have good idea but he takes too long to get to them. My least favorite novel of his is Kafka on the Shore for that very reason.

Magnus Gallant posted:

I should re-read a Dickens, but it was so poorly done in school that I just can't get past the overly detailed 19th century style. I think if I start with some French writers I may have more success with them before moving on to Dickens again.

merk posted:

Best: Chinua Achebe - Things Fall Apart

Oh man I forgot about reading this. It's SUCH a good book. In high school my english teachers knew I was a pretty voracious reader and would regularly give me books to read that we weren't going to do in the curriculum. This was one of them. At the end of that year they let me into the English book depository and let me take any of the old books that weren't regularly taught. It was really pretty awesome.

DuckHuntDog posted:

I really like it but it definitely doesn't resonate with everyone and it is amusing you feel like you should like it.

I think it's because it is impeccably written and I can tell it's good. Also I'm sure there's some some sunk-cost fallacy involved, because it's so long and it took me nearly 2.5 months to read (I almost never take longer than 2 weeks on books and I only read 1 book at a time) that I want to feel like I wisely invested my time.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Draft set for Tueday 9 PM EST

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tremendous Taste posted:

Draft set for Tueday 9 PM EST

excellent

now to learn how the gently caress to fantasy because holy poo poo I'm going to get murdered out there

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

Bookregrets...

The Wheel of time series, seriously, gently caress that garbage I couldn't make it past the third book.

lol the main character was in a poly relationship and one character pulled on her own hair a lot

also one dude was a furry and his wife sucked

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

lol the main character was in a poly relationship and one character pulled on her own hair a lot

also one dude was a furry and his wife sucked

I red a book called the dungeon and it involves a scene where a cyborg has to gently caress a giant anthropomorphic spider that is sending horny brain waves to everyone in the group of adventurers because she was creating eggs or something lol.

That book was loving insane

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

I red a book called the dungeon and it involves a scene where a cyborg has to gently caress a giant anthropomorphic spider that is sending horny brain waves to everyone in the group of adventurers because she was creating eggs or something lol.

That book was loving insane

That book was my autobiography.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CCKeane posted:

That book was my autobiography.

Are you the cyborg, the spider or an egg? Because if you're an egg then you're a pretty serious cannibal.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyone else play world of warcraft

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It had to be the cyborg who hosed the spider because the spider would have ripped any of the other characters in half.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

imgay posted:

is that like hots

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

imgay posted:

Regretfully after not playing it for over four years, I did go back to it.

DuckHuntDog fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

imgay posted:

No we're too cool here