Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Monogatari?
This poll is closed.
Deishuu "Dilbert as gently caress" Kaiki 133 84.18%
Some other dope, who cares 25 15.82%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is this dude gonna explain the Gundam Fights to me every episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I like light novels, and wish the people who fan translate them had access to a proof reader

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

The optimal outcome of my getting reported by him a lot

He even stopped posting in other parts of the forums.

Maybe he had to make those overly long posts to stay alive :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NotALizardman posted:

Penis hair girl is just the worst. Absolutely terrible.

Yeah.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

And now for more Patlabor

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

I like light novels, and wish the people who fan translate them had access to a proof reader

As far as I could tell when looking into that stuff, the problem is less about access to that, and more that they believe editors to be glorified spell checkers??

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

fwiw i also heard the spice and wolf lns are good so its obvious there are exceptions, but i figure most aren't going to be good and if they are the people translating them aren't going to give us a translation worth reading

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Why do I like anime, but hate anime conventions?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ah man i got spoiled on the ending (or at least lategame plot) for the spicy wolf books cause i googled them. why would you autosuggest that google

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Davincie posted:

fwiw i also heard the spice and wolf lns are good so its obvious there are exceptions, but i figure most aren't going to be good and if they are the people translating them aren't going to give us a translation worth reading

Spice and Wolf also has an official release so I assume they have a guy who tells them to make it read like something resembling the English language.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

other peoples bo smells bad

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice posted:

As far as I could tell when looking into that stuff, the problem is less about access to that, and more that they believe editors to be glorified spell checkers??

When I say proof reader, I also mean editor. Someone who makes sentences flow in English based on what the translator creates

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Shinjobi posted:

Anime isn't shot in smellovision.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like how Domon cuts these monks off half-way through their explanation because he knows everything about kung fu

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

And now for more Patlabor

Good!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

When I say proof reader, I also mean editor. Someone who makes sentences flow in English based on what the translator creates

Yah I meant that too

I've heard stories about how in a lot of those groups the translators have the final say in how a line should be written, instead of the person who should be fixing it up.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm hoping I don't finish the movies tonight because I want to use the pun I thought up this morning.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Now, to eat some carrots and play some more Phantom Pain.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

PatLabor Day

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Erg posted:

PatLabor Day

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcZAsLekb9c

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Erg posted:

PatLabor Day

To me, every day is PatLabor day.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Someone mentioned the Hyouka novels. Do Oreki and Chitanda kiss in them?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Sai Saici is the shittiest kid

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice posted:

Yah I meant that too

I've heard stories about how in a lot of those groups the translators have the final say in how a line should be written, instead of the person who should be fixing it up.

I'm pretty on baka tsuki the translator is king

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I got so many books at the Half Price Books labor day sale.

No anime VHSs tho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

quote:

Editor Conventions
Types of Edits
1). Editors are NOT REQUIRED to contact the Project Staff for Minor Edits
Minor Edits include typos, grammar mistakes, misspellings, etc.
2). Editors are ENCOURAGED but not required to contact the Project Staff for Stylistic Edits
Stylistic Edits include re-wording sentences, changing tenses, and modifying sentence structure to improve fluency, flow, and general style.
3). Editors are REQUIRED to contact the Project Staff for Major Edits
Major Edits include any edits that change the interpretable meaning of the sentence.
Editors should contact Project Staff to have a translator check over the new sentence.
If in doubt (when it's ambiguous), contact a translator just to be safe.
General Editor Rules
4). Editors MAY NOT change terminology or nouns without first consulting translators
All terminology should follow the conventions dictated in the Project-Specific Guidelines Page.
The Project-Specific Guidelines Page can be modified by editors only after obtaining permission from the Project Manager.
5). DO NOT change the meaning of the sentences unless you are a valid proofreader.
Translation Reviewers (TLR) who can read the source language are encouraged to negotiate a special arrangement with the original translator.
6). A summary of the edits MUST be included in the summary section while editing a page.
This is for moderation and accountability purposes.
Dedicated Project Editor Registration
7). Editors are REQUIRED to Contact the Project Manager if they would like to officially join the Project Staff as a Dedicated Editor
The Editors listed under Project Staff are exclusively reserved for editors who have made major contributions (e.g. >10,000 characters of changes).
8). Editors may not add themselves to the Project Staff list on the Project Overview Page
The Project Manager will do it for you. The Project Staff area is exclusively reserved for individuals who have made major contributions.
Conflicts and Disagreements
9). In the case of a disagreement, all editors are REQUIRED to defer to the opinion of the original translator
Baka-Tsuki generally holds the stance that the original translator figuratively "owns" the translation, so editors should respect the opinion of the original translator.
If there is a major disagreement, members are encouraged to incorporate the Project Manager (or third-party translators) in the discussion.
10). A translator IS ALLOWED to ask a specific editor to stop making revisions to his/her translations. Editors should respect that sentiment.
It's nothing personal, but translators and editors often need to work intimately on a Project. If the chemistry isn't good, no one ends up happy. Unfortunately, unhappy translators lead to quitting translators, so please understand why this rule is in place.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1). Editors are NOT REQUIRED to contact the Project Staff for Minor Edits
Minor Edits include typos, grammar mistakes, misspellings, etc.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
There's a comic shop that has a bunch of old anime VHS tapes, including Garzey's Wing, but they still charge three goddamn bucks a tape

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baka-Tsuki generally holds the stance that the original translator figuratively "owns" the translation, so editors should respect the opinion of the original translator.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It makes a little sense because translators are a little rarer, but they should foster a culture where translators have to work with proof readers rather than worrying about sparing egos

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hahahaha it was just in the loving mountain, Domon is extremely prepared for all situations

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
They also have a bunch of anime DVDs, the prices of which have not changed since they stopped getting in new ones ten years ago. If you want volume 4 of Burst Angel, or volume 2 of Gasaraki, they can hook you up. Thirty bucks each.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Davincie posted:

Yeah I have the S&W books they're not bad. I'm not really well versed in the quality of literature to discern how "bad" it is compared to regular old novels but I don't think it comes off as any worse than other young adult sort of thing. If you've watched the show it's pretty much that, in text form.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Lol at Patlabor with the owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
little orb

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

It makes a little sense because translators are a little rarer, but they should foster a culture where translators have to work with proof readers rather than worrying about sparing egos

Yeah

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This hand of mine glows with an awesome power! Its burning grip tells me to defeat you!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

:anime:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Tbh I try to buy light novels where I can so that real publishers can translate theme with pro standards

• Locked thread