Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I wanna say thank you to the guy the other night at 11pm that ordered a double don Julio Blanco bloody Maria and didn't drink any of it because you're used to patron ("its crazy that you guys don't carry patron!") and thought it tasted too strong. Thank you. Also thank you to your date who said "whatever" when I asked what kind of vodka for her bloody and got a grey goose bloody Mary as a result and also didn't drink any of it. Love those drunks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

The Maestro posted:

I wanna say thank you to the guy the other night at 11pm that ordered a double don Julio Blanco bloody Maria and didn't drink any of it because you're used to patron ("its crazy that you guys don't carry patron!") and thought it tasted too strong. Thank you. Also thank you to your date who said "whatever" when I asked what kind of vodka for her bloody and got a grey goose bloody Mary as a result and also didn't drink any of it. Love those drunks

I can't imagine picking Patron over anything, really. It's both expensive and absolutely loving terrible.

Same for Pyrat XO, the unbelievably disgusting rum produced by the same complete morons!

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Hahah lookit this fuckin chump who doesn't base his liquor selections on rap songs

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

nrr posted:

Hahah lookit this fuckin chump who doesn't base his liquor selections on rap songs

Haha right???

*orders Hennessy neat*

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

I can't imagine picking Patron over anything, really. It's both expensive and absolutely loving terrible.

Same for Pyrat XO, the unbelievably disgusting rum produced by the same complete morons!
The best thing about Pyrat was/is the tacky "saint of bartenders" little charm that comes/came round the bottle.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Patron truly is the tequila for people who actually want vodka.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Patron is currently rocking a pool party for the campers and for that alone, I cannot be mad at it.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I am so sad I had to cancel going I actually cried about it

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

One of my bartenders is going in September and I am so painfully jealous.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
The what? I've never heard of this thing. Links?

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Camp Runamok. It's basically summer camp for bartenders, held down in Kentucky. Distillery tours, spirits education, camp activities (trying to make drinks on a paintball course while under fire), working to improve the camp for the kids that use it the rest of the time and hanging out with other bartenders from around the country for a week. Veg can obviously explain it in greater detail, I've never been, just heard about it from people that have.

They don't really seem to have much of a website for information aside from their Facebook page but here's a link to the Camp Runamok Handbook for this year.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I just got a barbacking job on campus. I work Monday and Tuesday nights. Monday nights is dead, but Tuesdays has a $1 Bud Light, so last night (my second day of work) it was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with kids. The bartenders did quite well, but at the end of the night they didn't tip me out. I calmly asked if I was getting tipped out, and the bartender blew me off as if I was a piece of poo poo

How do I get this 22-yo girl to tip me out at the end of the night? I know this is a college bar, but gently caress. They made good money last night and I saw none of it, despite working my rear end off.

e; The bartender that works Monday's even tipped me $10 for barely any work.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 2, 2015

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Imma name my next cocktail the Fly By, so whenever anyone requests a Fly By I can say, Negative Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Grump posted:

I just got a barbacking job on campus. I work Monday and Tuesday nights. Monday nights is dead, but Tuesdays has a $1 Bud Light, so last night (my second day of work) it was packed shoulder-to-shoulder with kids. The bartenders did quite well, but at the end of the night they didn't tip me out. I calmly asked if I was getting tipped out, and the bartender blew me off as if I was a piece of poo poo

How do I get this 22-yo girl to tip me out at the end of the night? I know this is a college bar, but gently caress. They made good money last night and I saw none of it, despite working my rear end off.

e; The bartender that works Monday's even tipped me $10 for barely any work.

you talk with your manager about your compensation. gently caress her, get paid.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

First things first, that's lovely dude, I'm sorry. Barbacks are an integral part of a busy bar and deserve to be treated with as much, if not more respect than the bartenders - good barbacks are goddamn hard to find.

A - is there an established tipout, or is it voluntary? Were you told on hiring to expect tipout?
B - did every bartender blow you off, or just the one?

If every bartender stiffed you, find the one who did it the nicest and ask them about it. Ask if it was a problem with your work, if they felt you cost them sales, etc. - you just started, maybe they had expectations that you weren't aware of. Who knows.

it could also just be standard practice on Tuesdays there but that's bizarre, my barbacks always got 25%, busy or not. Personally, I'd give it a week or two and see what happens - for all you know, they may have had a barback they all really loved on Tuesdays and you're the new guy. Maybe you're getting hazed. Bars are a weird business, so don't rush into it. If you were told to expect a tipout or there is an established one, you can bring it up with the manager, but this is a last resort as you will likely piss off every bartender there. Instead, slow down your work for anyone who doesn't tip you out. Eventually one of them will get the hint and give you something, show them the love and gently caress everyone else.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I never signed a contract and I'm getting paid cash, so my manager just told me, "yeah. The bartenders will most likely tip you out." she was explaining the job really willy nilly when she hired me because she either never hired a barback or very rarely hires them. When she gave me my hourly rate, she kinda just made a number up in her head

So going to the manager seems silly with that it mind. I do think that I may be getting hazed, but this girl is pretty young and I think that she just doesn't want to part with money she's come to expect from busy Tuesday nights

Point is, I think I'm just getting hosed because it's a small college town bar and this bartender doesn't know how tipping works in a more professional environment.

Also, I understand that this place sounds ridiculous, but all I'm really looking for is some spending money during my last year of college. But I still bust my rear end in any job I do, this one included. I've been a server. I understand the value of good service. I'd honestly be happy if this girl threw me $15.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 3, 2015

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

If my bartender just flat out refused to tip me out after a packed night, someone would be getting talked to about it. Doubly so if they treated me like a piece of poo poo while doing it. Either go to the manager about it, or if you can talk to the bartender herself when you're not both tired after a long shift of lovely college kids and ask her why she felt you didn't deserve a tipout. Especially if it happens again and you get the feeling its going to be routine because if you let it slide that's exactly what it's going to be.

Stories like that make me glad for my guaranteed 2% total sales+whatever my bartenders and servers want to give on top of that.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Personally, I'm straightforward. I don't know how many bartenders there are there, but I'd go to the half that didn't treat you like an rear end in a top hat for asking for a tipout and just be honest: "My job is to help you make more money. If you want me to do that, tell me how, and I'm all ears - but help me out at the end of the night and spread the wealth."

If they tell you to gently caress off, keep them stocked, but don't bother rushing for them or doing anything above and beyond - if they ask you for something, sorry dude, can't hear you. If they seem confused, tell them to google "tipout" and hopefully they're smart enough to figure it out?

Edit: And for the record, I'm going off the (probably) naive presumption that these bartenders have no idea that a tipout is expected for a barback. If it's their first job, and the place doesn't usually have a barback - they haven't been trained properly and they don't understand the system. That isn't their fault, but they need to get in line quickly or risk getting hosed over. Good barbacks are like goddamn gold, in general I would have rather fired my best bartender rather than let my best barback go.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 3, 2015

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Tips for a first timer? After12ish years working in bars, it appears I'll finally be getting my turn pouring the spirits. I've always helped out with barback stuff (ice, fruit, booze, etc) and helping with shots, drafts, simple cocktails etc when the bartender was slammed, but the actual title of "bartender" hasn't ever been mine. It's a semi fancy bar at a very fancy venue, and I want to make sure I avoid any "new guy" pitfalls. By fancy I mean they asked me what the difference between a manhattan and a perfect manhattan was, how to traditionally garnish an old fashioned, etc, which I knew but apparently people with many years experience got these questions wrong. I want to avoid being the know it all new guy, but also be a good part of the team.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

Tips for a first timer? After12ish years working in bars, it appears I'll finally be getting my turn pouring the spirits. I've always helped out with barback stuff (ice, fruit, booze, etc) and helping with shots, drafts, simple cocktails etc when the bartender was slammed, but the actual title of "bartender" hasn't ever been mine. It's a semi fancy bar at a very fancy venue, and I want to make sure I avoid any "new guy" pitfalls. By fancy I mean they asked me what the difference between a manhattan and a perfect manhattan was, how to traditionally garnish an old fashioned, etc, which I knew but apparently people with many years experience got these questions wrong. I want to avoid being the know it all new guy, but also be a good part of the team.

Hey, congrats!! PM me the spot and I'll come in and harass you! Do your share of the cleaning +10%. Remember that there's a right way, a wrong way, and the bar's way of doing things, and nobody cares how they did things other places you've worked.

Mostly put money in the tills and tips in the jar and you'll be fine!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Old Man Pants posted:

Don't put Worcestershire in the Old Fashioneds. I saw that the other day (I even confirmed that it was on purpose!), and my brain had a spontaneous short circuit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PT6A posted:

Don't put Worcestershire in the Old Fashioneds.

What the gently caress

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

PT6A posted:

Don't put Worcestershire in the Old Fashioneds. I saw that the other day (I even confirmed that it was on purpose!), and my brain had a spontaneous short circuit.

How loving drunk and/or hungover was the person that did that?

Also,

death .cab for qt posted:

What the gently caress

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

:pirate:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

How loving drunk and/or hungover was the person that did that?

Neither drunk nor hungover. He's actually a decent chef, he just should've stayed right the gently caress away from front-of-house (he didn't because he was also acting as general manager, and was trying to save on staff costs during low-traffic periods).

The place has since closed down, due to a combination of poor management and a rotation of fairly awful staff. Who's responsible for staff not being able to open a bottle of wine with a wine key? The idiot, or the idiot that hired that idiot in the first place?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

That sounds loving disgusting.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I tried a Worcestershire old fashioned tonight

it was a salty, bitter train wreck

0/10, I recommend you all try it with your own take on what bourbon should be used for it and report back

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

navyjack posted:

Hey, congrats!! PM me the spot and I'll come in and harass you! Do your share of the cleaning +10%. Remember that there's a right way, a wrong way, and the bar's way of doing things, and nobody cares how they did things other places you've worked.

Mostly put money in the tills and tips in the jar and you'll be fine!

This is the best advice hands down. Do the new guy poo poo, never complain, say thanks. You'll go miles.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Bartending, akin to waiting tables, should never be hard enough to gently caress up, but you'll be amazed at how people manage it. After that long, you know the do's and don't.s Get in there, kick rear end, shut up and take your money. Before you know it someone else is cleaning the bathrooms and asking you the way things should happen.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Also this may not apply in wherever the gently caress you are but the phrase "that's not my job" puts you on a short rear end list of being sent to the minors. If I catch you telling a kitchen guy stocking beer after a brutal night why you get a beer before him with that nonsense, you better believe you're pegged. You make the big bucks, everyone's in it together. Nobody gets a shiftie before anyone else.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Shooting Blanks posted:

Personally, I'm straightforward. I don't know how many bartenders there are there, but I'd go to the half that didn't treat you like an rear end in a top hat for asking for a tipout and just be honest: "My job is to help you make more money. If you want me to do that, tell me how, and I'm all ears - but help me out at the end of the night and spread the wealth."

If they tell you to gently caress off, keep them stocked, but don't bother rushing for them or doing anything above and beyond - if they ask you for something, sorry dude, can't hear you. If they seem confused, tell them to google "tipout" and hopefully they're smart enough to figure it out?

Edit: And for the record, I'm going off the (probably) naive presumption that these bartenders have no idea that a tipout is expected for a barback. If it's their first job, and the place doesn't usually have a barback - they haven't been trained properly and they don't understand the system. That isn't their fault, but they need to get in line quickly or risk getting hosed over. Good barbacks are like goddamn gold, in general I would have rather fired my best bartender rather than let my best barback go.

I've had manager-comped meals where we were expected to tip the newbie server well, that I've directly tipped the barback, a bit, because the manager talked up her barbacks and told us how hard is is to find good ones and how hard they work. Mostly just made me feel bad about FOH servers getting so much directly and bartenders the FOH staff were ordering from splitting tips with the barbacks. Then again, I'm the douche that took forever to realize not to stand in the FOH ordering station...

Still, I try to spread the $ around to the "tertiary" bars and dudes lugging ice on their shoulders.

Old Man Pants posted:

Tips for a first timer?

WHAT?!? First timer? You?!? Jesus, I mean, like you mention below, you've never held the title "bartender" but you've been in the industry for a long, long while, haven't you?

quote:

After12ish years working in bars, it appears I'll finally be getting my turn pouring the spirits. I've always helped out with barback stuff (ice, fruit, booze, etc) and helping with shots, drafts, simple cocktails etc when the bartender was slammed, but the actual title of "bartender" hasn't ever been mine. It's a semi fancy bar at a very fancy venue, and I want to make sure I avoid any "new guy" pitfalls. By fancy I mean they asked me what the difference between a manhattan and a perfect manhattan was, how to traditionally garnish an old fashioned, etc, which I knew but apparently people with many years experience got these questions wrong. I want to avoid being the know it all new guy, but also be a good part of the team.

You've gotta know all about any sort of internal "politics" by now, right? You've been in a super "politic-y" place for basically forever now right? I'm really kinda surprised your DJ position required you to act as a barback, but, no, not really actually surprised. You know?
Yeah, I've basically got nothing.
I'm not really sure if that's a good move for you, but you're getting to that age a unionized hotel job where you can just sling liquor all day is looking attractive right?

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

WHAT?!? First timer? You?!? Jesus, I mean, like you mention below, you've never held the title "bartender" but you've been in the industry for a long, long while, haven't you?

You've gotta know all about any sort of internal "politics" by now, right? You've been in a super "politic-y" place for basically forever now right? I'm really kinda surprised your DJ position required you to act as a barback, but, no, not really actually surprised. You know?
Yeah, I've basically got nothing.
I'm not really sure if that's a good move for you, but you're getting to that age a unionized hotel job where you can just sling liquor all day is looking attractive right?

Well aware of all the politics, that's easy to navigate. My DJ position never "required" me to barback or sling shots or drinks, I did it because I could see fellow employees struggling, and I wanted to help. Slinging drinks is actually something I enjoy as well as DJing, so being able to do both and being able to expand my resume skillset is actually a large portion of the reason why I'm making the move into doing both.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

That sounds loving disgusting.

It is! Absolutely godawful. Presumably, if you really want a bit of that flavour, you can find someone who's made tamarind bitters and then it wouldn't taste like complete rear end!

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

PT6A posted:

It is! Absolutely godawful. Presumably, if you really want a bit of that flavour, you can find someone who's made tamarind bitters and then it wouldn't taste like complete rear end!

Mountain Dew was originally creaated as a mixer for whiskey. I've never been brave enough to try it though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Old Man Pants posted:

Mountain Dew was originally creaated as a mixer for whiskey. I've never been brave enough to try it though.

Not bad, it's just soda and liquor. Not that great either.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

I've done that :iia:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Ok bartender goons, I need some drink ideas for a Rocky Horror Picture Show thing going on this weekend. Doesn't need to be wildly original, just repurposed drinks with a twist that can make them Rocky related. Half dozen is probably enough, and I have 3 already:

Damnit Janet - a red headed slut with a smashed cherry in it
Oh Rocky - a blowjob shot with a splash of Goldschlager on top
Absolute Pleasure - prosecco or champagne with a shot of St Germain

It's a full-service bar so it will have most things and the crowd will most likely be unsophisticated so we don't have to get too fancy either :v:

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Time warp - 2oz shot, half 151, half absinthe

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am not a bartender in any way. But I am an RHPS fan.

Dr. Scott! - just a shot of some random German sounding liquor or beer.
Sins of the Flesh - Fireball & Hard Cider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

nrr posted:

Time warp - 2oz shot, half 151, half absinthe
:gonk: Have... have you actually had this?

Manuel Calavera posted:

I am not a bartender in any way. But I am an RHPS fan.
Sins of the Flesh - Fireball & Hard Cider
Thought about doing something like this because the bar has Sinnfire, which is a knockoff Fireball.

• Locked thread