Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

LingcodKilla posted:

May as well learn from the pros. I got an old 4s i want to give to my 5yr old to play apps. Is there a way to lock everything except the apps I want him to use? I'm not finding anything super obvious.

Settings -> general -> restrictions. Not sure you can lock it down to quite that level or if maybe iPhone configurator would let you do that but if neither of those work I'm out of ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I have googled this a bit and Apple has some solutions for it but I'm just too stupid to understand what they mean.

Basically, I just want to import all the photos/videos on my iCloud to my Mac, and then delete them from my iCloud because it's basically full at this point. How do I go about it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Wulfolme posted:

Will there be any real way to play h.265 video on a 6S? Every google result I see for HEVC iphone app looks like a Belorussian scam, and I thought that phones depended on a hardware decoder for that anyway. The only thing really pushing me to get a 64 over a 16 is that I have a couple dozen hours of video I would like to have available on my phone at any time, and if h.265 playback will be possible on it then it may not be worth the extra $100.

It seems like most people who got a 16 gig 6 on here wound up regretting it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thank you.

One follow-up question: I am the one currently on ATT. My work has 3G repeaters inside the building, so I don't get LTE when I'm here. If I get a Verizon phone, will it also be able to use ATT's 3G bands?

And just to clear up the why-the-hell-are-you-buying-a-Verizon-phone question, my girlfriend is on Verizon. She has a piece of poo poo 4S with a dying battery and needs a new one badly. I'd buy a 6S using her Verizon account, then give her my 6 and do the SIM swapping. I am on ATT unlimited data, so I still have to wait 2 years to upgrade my line.

So I guess my ATT 6 would have to work on Verizon, and the Verizon 6S would have to work on ATT.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't check this thread for a day or two.

So there are a few different things that just make this slightly complicated for you:

1a. When the Verizon phone has an ATT SIM, it basically ceases to be a Verizon phone. It just works on ATT's network, so you should expect ATT network performance as usual.

1b. As an aside, ATT and Verizon use different 3G everything, the newer iPhones just happen to have both bands, which is why they can work on both networks. Basically, the only thing ATT and Verizon have that is impossible is LTE. That's good for the future, but LTE only phones are still just not anytime soon.

2. The Verizon 6S would be fine on ATT. Point #3b is an issue.

3a. So, until a month ago, Verizon just didn't take non Verizon phones. You were just poo poo out of luck. What's changed is that Verizon now takes most iPhone 6 and 6+ models (some of the European ones won't provision for whatever reason). So that WOULD mean your 6 will work on your girlfriend's Verizon account. Except that....

3b. Your iPhone is most certainly locked to ATT. Nothing Verizon can do about it, it just will only accept an ATT SIM. ATT does unlock phones, which would solve your issue. However, they almost definitely will not unlock your phone until your two year contract is over. the phone has "to be paid off" for them to unlock it.

So basically, I think you're hosed on your phone swapping plan. On the upside, only having an iPhone 6 isn't the worst thing in the world, right?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dogen posted:

It seems like most people who got a 16 gig 6 on here wound up regretting it.

nah im fine with mine

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

nah im fine with mine

Same. I get around it by living in the 21st century and streaming most things (even photos) and not hoarding apps and games.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Early reports that 265 offered a 2:1 gain on 264 were placebo ridden, and more empirical tests suggest the improvement is about 25-30%

Getting a 16Gb phone with the expectation of keeping "dozens" of hours of video on it is going to leave you very frustrated. Even at excessively low bitrates you just won't have room to use your phone for anything else without constantly being tied up managing space.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Khablam posted:

Early reports that 265 offered a 2:1 gain on 264 were placebo ridden, and more empirical tests suggest the improvement is about 25-30%

Getting a 16Gb phone with the expectation of keeping "dozens" of hours of video on it is going to leave you very frustrated. Even at excessively low bitrates you just won't have room to use your phone for anything else without constantly being tied up managing space.

Yeah 16GB is real dumb in the year of our lord 2015. So what if you anecdotally can make it work, it's still dumb and you still need to think about being a storage janitor once in a while. It's nice to be able to keep things without thinking.

What's even more annoying, though, is that the extra 48GB costs $100, which is like 1995 prices.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

A 16 gb user here. Don't make the mistake I did. Next phone will be 64gb at least.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sorry for the delay, I didn't check this thread for a day or two.

So there are a few different things that just make this slightly complicated for you:

1a. When the Verizon phone has an ATT SIM, it basically ceases to be a Verizon phone. It just works on ATT's network, so you should expect ATT network performance as usual.

1b. As an aside, ATT and Verizon use different 3G everything, the newer iPhones just happen to have both bands, which is why they can work on both networks. Basically, the only thing ATT and Verizon have that is impossible is LTE. That's good for the future, but LTE only phones are still just not anytime soon.

2. The Verizon 6S would be fine on ATT. Point #3b is an issue.

3a. So, until a month ago, Verizon just didn't take non Verizon phones. You were just poo poo out of luck. What's changed is that Verizon now takes most iPhone 6 and 6+ models (some of the European ones won't provision for whatever reason). So that WOULD mean your 6 will work on your girlfriend's Verizon account. Except that....

3b. Your iPhone is most certainly locked to ATT. Nothing Verizon can do about it, it just will only accept an ATT SIM. ATT does unlock phones, which would solve your issue. However, they almost definitely will not unlock your phone until your two year contract is over. the phone has "to be paid off" for them to unlock it.

So basically, I think you're hosed on your phone swapping plan. On the upside, only having an iPhone 6 isn't the worst thing in the world, right?

Thank you this made total sense.

I'll probably just have her switch to ATT if she wants one then, just to avoid all the hassle. I totally forgot about the carrier lock on ATT phones. Bummer.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah 16GB is real dumb in the year of our lord 2015. So what if you anecdotally can make it work, it's still dumb and you still need to think about being a storage janitor once in a while. It's nice to be able to keep things without thinking.

What's even more annoying, though, is that the extra 48GB costs $100, which is like 1995 prices.

Counterpoint: I can't even find anecdotal evidence of an iPhone SSD breaking down in a meaningful way; it's ridiculously reliable memory. It's also fast, exceeding the UHS-3 spec by a wide margin on writes and 2-3x faster than any MicroSD I can find listed anywhere on read performance.
It's not really a fair comparison to compare it to cheap MicroSD card prices the android fans quote, given their performance and reliability issues.

It's relatively more expensive than the better MicroSD cards but not by a huge margin if you're looking at one that can get near iPhone 6 read/write benchmarks.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I came from an android that used micro SD and it was shockingly unreliable. Constantly failing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Yeah, it sucks paying like $4 per month for the life of a device I use literally every day that will also increase resale value by roughly the difference in cost.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Thank you this made total sense.

I'll probably just have her switch to ATT if she wants one then, just to avoid all the hassle. I totally forgot about the carrier lock on ATT phones. Bummer.

Not to keep raining on your parade, but two things if you do that:

1. ATT's system (at least at Corp retail) doesn't allow for grandfathered plans to change from individual to family plans. So the question is how many lines do you have currently? If the answer is "One," then while you can be under one name/billing account, you can't make a family plan. Not the end of the world, but here is what you would look at:

Your line: individual unlimited: $80-90 depending on your text plan. Whatever you are paying now.

Her line: $70 for 2GB or $90 for 5GB, plus cost of phone on two year contract.

Two line family plans have been pretty consistent at around $160-180, so you would be paying a slight premium for two lines keeping your unlimited, but probably similar to one line on ATT, one line on Verizon currently.

I guess it is possible phone care does have the ability to generate a grandfathered family plan from what you have, but i would give it a roll of the dice at best.

2. ATT will Axe contracts sooner rather than later. Hasn't happened yet, but i was hearing rumblings when i left the company last month.

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, it sucks paying like $4 per month for the life of a device I use literally every day that will also increase resale value by roughly the difference in cost.

Eh, I get why Apple keeps having the base model be 16GB ($$$$$) but that it's still a bummer they don't throw a bone to customers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I just got a message saying there was an iOS 9 update available and to update from the iOS 9 beta. But if I go into software updates nothing is there. Doing this on my iPhone and iPad. What's going on/what do I have to do?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

TheJoker138 posted:

I just got a message saying there was an iOS 9 update available and to update from the iOS 9 beta. But if I go into software updates nothing is there. Doing this on my iPhone and iPad. What's going on/what do I have to do?

Got it too. Figured it was a test since it's early as dicks in the morning.

Also, does anyone have experience with swapping carriers for new phone plans? My ETF would be $200 and given how new phone plans work, it's tempting to just pay the $200 then pay $20 every month to pay off a new phone on Verizon.

Could I just sell my phone, then when the new phone comes in, take it to Verizon to try and get my number ported and see if they have any promotion to pay off my ETF?

Would it even be worth it to switch to Verizon if AT&T also has their Next plans? I could pay off the rest of another phone on the line then take the new phone to AT&T (or swap SIMs) to get the numbers on the right phones etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can do any of the above, and Verizon is running a new account promo right now: $300 ($100 credit + $200 trade-in gift card) with a phone trade-in. Given your AT&T ETF and the cost of a beater to trade-in, you'd barely come out ahead. AT&T's really only marginally worse than Verizon at this point and cost is about the same, so, personally, I wouldn't make the effort, but that's up to you. Granted, relative carrier quality will vary by area, and maybe Verizon is significantly better where you live. Switching to NEXT is going to be a lot less painless.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I just found out to take advantage of the iPhone upgrade thing, I'll have to pay off the remainder of the other phone before attempting to upgrade. So what I'll probably do is pay off the other phone preorder/upgrade that one and then take the phone to AT&T to get the numbers switched back to their right phones. Paying off the phone only costs $300 something, so I can sell my iPhone for $600 or something (I dunno, it's unlocked, so I'll get to it later) and then just have $300 extra bones in my pocket aside from the activation fee costs and whatever else they throw at me.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So who here has consolidated and went from an iPhone + iPad to just an iPhone 6 Plus?

I really don't use my iPad a lot but every once in a while I still need the extra screen space. Pros? Cons?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

So who here has consolidated and went from an iPhone + iPad to just an iPhone 6 Plus?

I really don't use my iPad a lot but every once in a while I still need the extra screen space. Pros? Cons?

Me. Don't miss the iPad except for the occasional game that is iPad only.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had, and then PDFs reentered my life at a frequency never seen before.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I haven't ditched the iPad but I find myself neglecting the poo poo out of it since I got my 6+. I just never have that urge to grab a bigger screen like I did when I had the prior phones.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

You can do any of the above, and Verizon is running a new account promo right now: $300 ($100 credit + $200 trade-in gift card) with a phone trade-in. Given your AT&T ETF and the cost of a beater to trade-in, you'd barely come out ahead. AT&T's really only marginally worse than Verizon at this point and cost is about the same, so, personally, I wouldn't make the effort, but that's up to you. Granted, relative carrier quality will vary by area, and maybe Verizon is significantly better where you live. Switching to NEXT is going to be a lot less painless.

Do you have to sign up through verizon for this? Or can you preorder a 6s through apple and still get the credit?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flipoff posted:

Do you have to sign up through verizon for this? Or can you preorder a 6s through apple and still get the credit?
I have no idea, but I'd imagine that you'd have to go through Verizon for it. Do note that you can preorder form Verizon, though maybe not as a new account.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, I'm not really sure how I'll take heed of many promotions when I'll already have Verizon when i decide to do anything with my AT&T account where I to use that option.

Also, I talked about it for a lil bit earlier, but if you have an AT&T Next hone, you need to pay it off *before* you buy a phone through Apple. Either through My AT&T or at a store.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Riven posted:

Me. Don't miss the iPad except for the occasional game that is iPad only.

Kaizoku posted:

I had, and then PDFs reentered my life at a frequency never seen before.

Same. I only miss it for the occasional PDF and XCOM. Reading PDFs on either iPhone 6+ or a MacBook just doesn't cut it. If given the choice I'd probably switch back to a regular 6/s and get a new iPad come Wednesday.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

What's the most painless way to turn a clip, video, or whatever into a short 4-5 second .gif or .gifv

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What's the most painless way to turn a clip, video, or whatever into a short 4-5 second .gif or .gifv

If you've got a Mac, you're probably best off using GIFBrewery.

Alternatively, if you're wanting to do it on iOS, there are plenty of apps that can make vine-length GIFs.

idempodunk
May 12, 2001
Toilet Rascal
If I set up Apple Pay in the US with US-based accounts, will it work seamlessly in the UK? Also, does the device need to have cellular data access for everything to work (I wouldn't have this)?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

FLOOR_MASTER posted:

If I set up Apple Pay in the US with US-based accounts, will it work seamlessly in the UK? Also, does the device need to have cellular data access for everything to work (I wouldn't have this)?

Yes, and no.

It's actually how Transport for London got leaked as a launch partner – American tourists were using their Apple Pay devices on the Underground, which accepts contactless EMV.

As far as the terminals are concerned, at worst, your Apple Pay device is treated as just another contactless EMV card. This explains why Apple Pay has such fast adoption among retailers in the UK – a lot of them already accept contactless EMV. If the terminal is updated to accept authenticated contactless EMV (i.e. Apple Pay), you get handy stuff like the transaction limit being waived.

Someone with more knowledge of contactless EMV may be able to elucidate more on Apple Pay vs. Contactless EMV.

Regardless, It's always a good idea to let your bank know if you're going abroad, so the fraud department won't be too worried.

sneakymango
Apr 28, 2004

BLAMMO
When will the new one be available? I have a 5s, ready to upgrade to a used 6+ and switch to cricket, don't care about any of the new (6s/7) features but do care about spending more than necessary on my 6+. Make sense at this point to wait until the new one is out so that prices on the 6+ drop or will it be a while?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sneakymango posted:

When will the new one be available? I have a 5s, ready to upgrade to a used 6+ and switch to cricket, don't care about any of the new (6s/7) features but do care about spending more than necessary on my 6+. Make sense at this point to wait until the new one is out so that prices on the 6+ drop or will it be a while?
They're being announced tomorrow and will likely be launched a week from Friday. Apple will drop prices on older models that day and resellers (Best Buy, etc.) will likely do so as soon as the announcement ends.

EDIT: Buying used, prices will probably start dropping tomorrow afternoon.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Someone please feel free to post an event thread(s) for tomorrow/preordering bonanza in the coming weeks. I won't really be around much for the next couple of weeks.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Which thread is best for posting my receipt or shipment confirmation email?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Which thread is best for posting my receipt or shipment confirmation email?
The Gas Chamber.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Someone please feel free to post an event thread(s) for tomorrow/preordering bonanza in the coming weeks. I won't really be around much for the next couple of weeks.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3740764

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

awesome, thanks. I'll go ahead and stick this through tomorrow.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Don't know if this is the right place to put it but here goooes.

I have an iPhone 4 and over the last month or so its battery seems to be pretty out of whack. More often that not it seems to drain battery very quickly (I've had it go down to 30% within a few hours of it fully charging), and it will now just randomly turn off at random percentages, even when I turn off all the apps. Right now even connected to a charger, it seems to be random whether or not it will turn itself on (sometimes it'll stay plugged for hours before turning on, and when unplugged even with high life, it would just keep giving the low battery sign).

It's not more than a few years old (I think I got it around 2012?) and the warranty's expired. I might try to upgrade around Christmas but I want to see if this one can even survive til then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah that battery's bound to be shot by now. Honestly, battery replacement on the 4/4S series wasn't too bad at all. You should be able to get a kit from iFixit for like $20 if you just want to keep it limping along for a few more months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

Don't know if this is the right place to put it but here goooes.

I have an iPhone 4 and over the last month or so its battery seems to be pretty out of whack. More often that not it seems to drain battery very quickly (I've had it go down to 30% within a few hours of it fully charging), and it will now just randomly turn off at random percentages, even when I turn off all the apps. Right now even connected to a charger, it seems to be random whether or not it will turn itself on (sometimes it'll stay plugged for hours before turning on, and when unplugged even with high life, it would just keep giving the low battery sign).

It's not more than a few years old (I think I got it around 2012?) and the warranty's expired. I might try to upgrade around Christmas but I want to see if this one can even survive til then.

You can replace the battery for cheap and see how that goes. You've done well to last this long.