Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neferreth
Feb 21, 2011

Throbbing blob posted:

The vendor Serotonin linked earlier was based in the UK, so customs shouldn't be an issue from there.

Aah, that's very good to know. They even have the full warships line, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Nice! Looking good lilljonas. How is the Blitzkrieg campaign going in your club?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Throbbing blob posted:

Nice! Looking good lilljonas. How is the Blitzkrieg campaign going in your club?

We're experts at bogging down the campaign prep-work by being too ambitious. This far we're still waiting on several buildings of Stalino: the train station is built, but not painted, the roughly dozen workers' apartments are halfways built but lacking roofs, and we also plan to build at least one storage/loading dock building for the railroad.

The miniatures are mostly finished, the Soviet force recently got a ton of cavalry painted up, the Italians are close to having two full platoons painted and tons of tankettes, and we have a full company of German infantry. I'm afraid I won't finish my Gebirgsjäger platoon, though I might in case we really get bogged down with the terrain work.

Other than that, we're still fiddling with the campaign rules as well as home-brew changes to CoC. We're not happy with how AT guns work (they're constantly being run over, coincidentially, like the gun at your museum, though without harming tanks before that), and several costs are a bit unbalanced, mainly some tanks being badly costed compared to other tanks, and MMGs being too expensive for what you get.

But the most optimistic club members are still imagining a campaign start in two weeks, and we get back some missing manpower for the terrain labour camp now that summer vacation is over. It will be a glorious mess, and I look forward to it. :)

Bonus pic - I squeezed in a game after we got back from Copenhagen this Saturday, with my German's attacking a Soviet objective. Highlights inlcuded the reaction of the Cossacks when they spotted my new Pz 38(t) making it's debut on the battlefield:

It ended up pushing the entire infantry line back from the woods in the middle of the board. Then it shot and ran over the Soviet's only AT gun, sparking yet another heated debate over how worthless AT guns are compared to tanks as that pretty much ended the game.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 2, 2015

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
That's a great pic, and kudos for actually managing to find the time and energy for a game after listening to me talk for 90 minutes!

It does indeed seem like AT guns need a tweak. At least you know the tactic of running guns over with tanks has basis in historical reality now, but I'm not sure how often that actually happened ;)

Do you have any pics of the finished terrain? Sounds like you've got quite an impressive sweatshop going on over there.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I just pulled the trigger on a box of Perry plastic Desert Rats, some extra slouch hats and a Vickers Mk IVb tank. 1940/41 Australians here I come. :toot:

Early War Best War

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Throbbing blob posted:

That's a great pic, and kudos for actually managing to find the time and energy for a game after listening to me talk for 90 minutes!

It does indeed seem like AT guns need a tweak. At least you know the tactic of running guns over with tanks has basis in historical reality now, but I'm not sure how often that actually happened ;)

Do you have any pics of the finished terrain? Sounds like you've got quite an impressive sweatshop going on over there.

I don't have exact statistics, but I see photos of crushed guns and mentions of them in award orders fairly frequently. On the other hand, AT gun crew award orders are also full of sub-100-meter shots, so it could go either way.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, I guess Wargames Illustrated is really keen on pushing their digital versions.

The cover price of the print magazine is $8.50 USD. But a subscription for 12 months is $120 (and thus $10 an issue).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Huh. I didn't even notice that. It's the same for all currencies except Sterling, which gets you a £4 discount. I guess your free box of FoW toys isn't free after all. Still not a bad deal if you actually want those things I guess, but TBH I'll stick to occasionally buying interesting issues.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I think that's the route I'll be taking now. It's a shame, as I usually always enjoy SOMETHING from every issue, but an extra $1.50 adds up.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Get it and sell the box to make the difference back?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, there's an idea.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I feel that the 18 more dollars a year over the buying 12 issues in a store is worth having it delivered for "free" and on time every month.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Arquinsiel posted:

Huh. I didn't even notice that. It's the same for all currencies except Sterling, which gets you a £4 discount. I guess your free box of FoW toys isn't free after all. Still not a bad deal if you actually want those things I guess, but TBH I'll stick to occasionally buying interesting issues.

I'm glad I'm in the UK then - the (small) saving plus a load of "free" plastic tanks just as I'm about to do WWII skirmish gaming? Thanks!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

I feel that the 18 more dollars a year over the buying 12 issues in a store is worth having it delivered for "free" and on time every month.

Well it's never on time for me. And it's not delivered free if I'm paying more than the cover.

Besides which, with all the advertising, there's no reason for them to charge so much other than it's a niche magazine. $100 was fair. I'd even pay the actual cover price. $120 is bullshit.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm glad I'm in the UK then - the (small) saving plus a load of "free" plastic tanks just as I'm about to do WWII skirmish gaming? Thanks!

Free tanks?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Their current offer is actually a free box from Mantic Games, but I preferred the "14 issues for the price of 12" deal (instead of 12 for the price of 14 they have now).

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Colonial Air Force posted:

Their current offer is actually a free box from Mantic Games, but I preferred the "14 issues for the price of 12" deal (instead of 12 for the price of 14 they have now).

Battlefront tanks, but as I'm doing 15mm Skirmish, I've got 5 PzMKIV's and a advert magazine sent to my door every month.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Throbbing blob posted:

I have some pics, but we really ought to take some pictures of them in a better way. It's mostly left-overs from an old Russian Civil War campaign, and a bit too rural to really represent a Ukrainian city. That's why we want to add brick buildings to the collection.

The only finished brick building this far is a water tower that I built, based on pictures of old Russian water towers. It worked as a test-bed for making bricks out of foamboard:

A lot of the pictures from Stalino shows one-storied brick buildings of various types, which would be a great addition to break up the grey wooden houses. Like these:
(bonus Bersaglieri bikers)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 3, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I'm putting together a bersaglieri force right now, so cool.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The issue I picked up last week has tanks in it. Just quote the right code and see what happens.

Grey Hunter posted:

Better option: go to Salute or whatever and buy one of each sprue multiplied by the number of variants per sprue that PSC makes.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

I have some pics, but we really ought to take some pictures of them in a better way. It's mostly left-overs from an old Russian Civil War campaign, and a bit too rural to really represent a Ukrainian city. That's why we want to add brick buildings to the collection.

The only finished brick building this far is a water tower that I built, based on pictures of old Russian water towers. It worked as a test-bed for making bricks out of foamboard:

A lot of the pictures from Stalino shows one-storied brick buildings of various types, which would be a great addition to break up the grey wooden houses. Like these:
(bonus Bersaglieri bikers)

This is perfectly fine as the outskirts of a small Soviet town in the 1940s.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

This is perfectly fine as the outskirts of a small Soviet town in the 1940s.

True, but the idea is to have one of the industrial railyards as the centrepiece of the campaing. We like using each campaign as a poor excuse to build terrain we don't have, and paint up more miniatures and tanks (like the Bergsaglieri and Gebirgsjägers that actually took the city).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This was probably asked before, but are there any CWGH skirmish scenarios? Most of the time, it seems to be large-scale stuff, but I'm usually more satisfied with smaller-level games.

E: I suppose FoF could work.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It does work. I've played some of the scenarios from the book and they're decent. Big for FoF games though. Problem is they're not really pickup games, so you'll spend a fuckton of time and effort making mans, tanks, and terrain for it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

True, but the idea is to have one of the industrial railyards as the centrepiece of the campaing. We like using each campaign as a poor excuse to build terrain we don't have, and paint up more miniatures and tanks (like the Bergsaglieri and Gebirgsjägers that actually took the city).

In that case your houses don't match up at all, you'd need 5-storey brick "Stalinki" worker dormitories, if you're going to have any residential buildings at all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

In that case your houses don't match up at all, you'd need 5-storey brick "Stalinki" worker dormitories, if you're going to have any residential buildings at all.

Well, we're using airplane photos of the city from 1941, and there were large areas around the factories and industrial railyards that consists of blocks of smaller living houses for workers, connected by small backyard, which we're building currently as well. You can see the kind of area on this photo:

We think it will make for some interesting games, as the fences and small low buildings will break up line-of-sight.

It would have been really cool to make some large, multi-story brick buildings, but I doubt we would be able to finish any for this campaign. But sure, it's a great centerpiece to build for a later campaign, once we have a bunch of houses already.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 3, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

Man I wish I was a part of your gaming group. I love that approach.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Anyone know of a source for WW2 Belgians in 15mm? I'm trying to make a Chain of Command Belgian 1940 force, but I'm having trouble sourcing the D.B.T. launchers and SMG troops. List found here: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=1890

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Having located a copy of Fistful of TOWs, it seems fairly complex. It may be one of those things where in-play it's easier to digest, but the rulebook definitely felt dense. It does, however, model everyone from the last century, so I suspect it's a GURPS-like case of "complex, but when you're done you only need to memorise the one thing".

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

True North has a line of 15mm Belgians, but True North figures are kind of wonky. Old Glory stocks them in the US.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They aren't actually hugely different from the French forces of the day, so you could probably just get those and paint them right.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's actually a great suggestion. Check out Battlefront item FR742, it's a French platoon without their greatcoats. They'd be perfect.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

lilljonas posted:

It ended up pushing the entire infantry line back from the woods in the middle of the board. Then it shot and ran over the Soviet's only AT gun, sparking yet another heated debate over how worthless AT guns are compared to tanks as that pretty much ended the game.

I don't know about other AT guns but the Zis-3 has been incredible for me- Medium AT and a light howitzer for 80 points is nuts. Screen it with some AT rifles or infantry with AT grenades to discourage tank assaulters.

My last game it killed a heap of expensive German infantry and schwacked a STUG on a side-shot because it had rotated to try and deal with my aggressively flanking BA-10. Killed ~3x its points value. I think when I get up to 1,000 points I'm gonna take two platoons so I can bring two of them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Polikarpov posted:

I don't know about other AT guns but the Zis-3 has been incredible for me- Medium AT and a light howitzer for 80 points is nuts. Screen it with some AT rifles or infantry with AT grenades to discourage tank assaulters.

My last game it killed a heap of expensive German infantry and schwacked a STUG on a side-shot because it had rotated to try and deal with my aggressively flanking BA-10. Killed ~3x its points value. I think when I get up to 1,000 points I'm gonna take two platoons so I can bring two of them.

We play CoC, not BA. In our experience, AT guns in CoC simply give you less bang for the buck compared to tanks, for various reasons. If spending slightly more gets you a unit that has immensely better manouverability, versatility and arguably survivability, and that will win against AT guns 3 times out of 4 in a shootout (based on our games), there's just not enough reason to get the AT guns. And that's after we already decreased the cost by 1 point.

On the other hand, satchel charges have a good record in our games of blowing up tanks, and it costs 1 point to give a squad a satchel charge. This means that by the normal rules, you're far better off buying a couple of satcel charges (or even better, a flamethrower) than you are in investing in AT guns if you want to stand a chance against armour. We're not really happy with that, but we are also not sure if there are better ways to solve it than just decreasing the cost even more.

Today we wrote the first draft of our new CoC Mega-Campaign Rules, and they are looking fun. It's basically three normal CoC campaigns rolled into one simultaneous campaign, but with more rules for support options, extra mini-missions, transfers of troops etc. Still more work to be done before it's finished, though.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 5, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Speaking of CWGH (and WI, for that matter), there's an article this month about this game: 3rd Generation Warfare

It's written by the developer of the rules, so not exactly unbiased, but his goal was for quick rules that still have the feeling of combat from that era. Less charts, more playing.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Speaking of CWGH (and WI, for that matter), there's an article this month about this game: 3rd Generation Warfare

It's written by the developer of the rules, so not exactly unbiased, but his goal was for quick rules that still have the feeling of combat from that era. Less charts, more playing.

I can't believe they're using 28mm in the pics, not 15mm.

Given the scale of modern games I think 15 or 10mm is about as high as you can go unless you are having squad level skirmish.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well the rules were designed for 20mm, but he said they work well for skirmishes up through regimental and divisional warfare (which he recommends 6mm).

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Thundercloud posted:

I can't believe they're using 28mm in the pics, not 15mm.

Given the scale of modern games I think 15 or 10mm is about as high as you can go unless you are having squad level skirmish.

I've felt 15mm FoW starts looking really cramped when soviets get put down, even. What level is 3GW, anyway? Company, batallion?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

spectralent posted:

I've felt 15mm FoW starts looking really cramped when soviets get put down, even. What level is 3GW, anyway? Company, batallion?

"3rd Generation Warfare covers combined arms warfare from the end of WWII up to present day, from small company sized battle groups to battalion and larger sized formations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is there any indication we can get this in pdf soon?