Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hardflip posted:

yeah kojima dressing up in bandages cost a few million

seriously dude you're trying to figure out how they budgeted the development when you have zero information

Wasn't the head transplant stuff a publicity stunt? Like I said, I'd rather not have had licensed music or Keifer Sutherland's voice acting if it meant the game was more fleshed out.

blackguy32 posted:

GTA V also is part of a more popular franchise that made its budget back 3 or 4 times over. $1 billion in revenue is a shitload of money, especially since it made that in 3 days.

True enough. Though I read Max Payne 3 actually didn't sell too hot given the large budget it had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wasn't the head transplant stuff a publicity stunt? Like I said, I'd rather not have had licensed music or Keifer Sutherland's voice acting if it meant the game was more fleshed out.

True enough. Though I read Max Payne 3 actually didn't sell too hot given the large budget it had.

Every one is denying that the head transplant stuff is for publicity, but it isn't really medical science either since most people in the field are calling him quite crazy and unethical about the procedure.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
TPP's systems layer on each other in a really interesting way and it's thematically linked with the story in a lot of cool ways, calling it feature bloat is silly imo. Feature bloat is when a game is crippled by its need to do too much, MGSV is instead invigorated by it. It's a great loving game, regardless of story missteps.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 6, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

cat doter posted:

TPP's systems layer on each other in a really interesting way and it's thematically linked with the story in a lot of cool ways, calling it feature bloat is silly imo. Feature bloat is when a game is when a game is crippled by its need to do too much, MGSV is instead invigorated by it. It's a great loving game, regardless of story missteps.

I think people are more upset that the game had such a lengthy development and the game pretty much takes a dump during the 2nd half.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What if Mr Fortitude is actually very happy with the game's story and we've being played like a drat fiddle?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm glad most of the budget went into stuff that you actually play with, instead of most of it going into a massive building falling over in CoD or a bunch of fancy QTEs like Uncharted.

D-horse alone probably cost multiple millions.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

blackguy32 posted:

I think people are more upset that the game had such a lengthy development and the game pretty much takes a dump during the 2nd half.

People forget that the first few years of development were fox engine R&D, the game's last act was cut and left hanging and I sympathise with people being bummed, I mean eli loving stole a metal gear and flies of with psycho mantis and it's not brought up again? What the gently caress.

If delaying TPP by 5 months got that last act in it would've been worth it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

What if Mr Fortitude is actually very happy with the game's story and we've being played like a drat fiddle?

You got me. You're pretty good! :ocelot:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think it's just important to put it all in perspective.

There are games that cost as much as TPP did that never even make it out of development, or that are completely mediocre. This game did more with $80 million than any other game I can think of. Could the story have been more fleshed out? Yeah, but at the end of the day this is a game and what I want is good gameplay, which this absolutely delivers. I can read a book or watch a movie if I want a good story. This wasn't even a bad story - it just wasn't the story that people were expecting. There are parts missing, and that sucks, but the game itself is still incredibly deep and fun.

RDR is a good example, I think, because this game feels like it in a lot of ways. Did RDR have a "neater" story? Sure, but it was also a self-contained storyline. TPP has the baggage that comes with being the capstone to a 25-year-old series with an incredibly difficult-to-please fanbase (people going apeshit over even the smallest retcons, people sending Kojima death threats when he said he wouldn't make another MGS, etc.). What other franchise has built up the kind of mythology that MGS has? Nothing else I can think of even comes close, and it's trying to juggle half a dozen semi-contradictory storylines, half of which are from games that were released before a good chunk of TPPs playerbase were even born. I think TPP's gameplay is a hell of a lot deeper and more satisfying that RDR's, too.

RDR was "only" $20 million more to develop, but keep in mind, that's a full 25% of TPP's budget. Could $20 million more have fixed the issues with TPP? Who knows. Possibly. I think the cut Chapter 51 stuff could have easily been included if they'd had the time and compromised on scaling down the boss battle.

A lot of GTAV's cost did come from licensing and marketing, but TPP had its fair share of licensed songs too, and on top of that it has Kiefer. And you can't tell me you've ever seen a better trailer for a game than the promotional material that TPP had. It's honestly kind of amazing what they were able to accomplish with the budget they had. Storyline aside, this is flat-out one of the best games I have ever played. The Fox Engine is a goddamn technical marvel in every way. The sheer amount of things you can do in this game is staggering.

It's why I really hope Kojima gets picked up by some western developer who is content to let him do what he needs to do to make the game he wants to make. Could you imagine Kojima working with Rockstar Games or something?

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 6, 2015

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

cat doter posted:

TPP's systems layer on each other in a really interesting way and it's thematically linked with the story in a lot of cool ways, calling it feature bloat is silly imo. Feature bloat is when a game is crippled by its need to do too much, MGSV is instead invigorated by it. It's a great loving game, regardless of story missteps.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I'm glad most of the budget went into stuff that you actually play with, instead of most of it going into a massive building falling over in CoD or a bunch of fancy QTEs like Uncharted.

Two really good points. I didn't like the story at all, it might be the worst MGS in terms of plot but at the same time I think the problems with writing came from the open world design. In that angry long post the dude said Mantis appeared at random points but KJP would have to make entirely new locales for most of the important plot points. That's why mission 51 got cut. Making two big areas and then doing QA on that is difficult enough. Still could use some polishing because Snake really hates going up steeper hills in this game.

Edit: Also its really funny that after the Garbage trailer most people were like "it's the medic" and it turned out to be true.

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 6, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

How do I unlock the security stuff to put in my FOB? Trip wires and security cameras and stuff.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

a cop posted:

How do I unlock the security stuff to put in my FOB? Trip wires and security cameras and stuff.

Upgrade your security team level. You will find the items under the Development window, but only if you are connected online.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

a cop posted:

Locate the targets in your iDroid

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's why I really hope Kojima gets picked up by some western developer who is content to let him do what he needs to do to make the game he wants to make. Could you imagine Kojima working with Rockstar Games or something?
Alpha Protocol 2: A Hideo Kojima Game

also known as "Hideo Kojima is forced to budget a game responsibly"

It's pretty funny that Konami will do literally nothing with a $50 million engine, and if they hold all the IPs to the rendering and software, it's 50 million they'll never make back. That's the biggest waste here.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They were expecting Max Payne 1 sales numbers, but instead they just made back what they spent on it.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 7, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wanted to repeat two questions-

1. is it possible to kick all your Kikongo-speaking staff out before the game triggers the language infection? If so, what happens?
2. Can you take on the Metal Gear during Hellbound?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Alpha Protocol 2: A Hideo Kojima Game

also known as "Hideo Kojima is forced to budget a game responsibly"

It's pretty funny that Konami will do literally nothing with a $50 million engine, and if they hold all the IPs to the rendering and software, it's 50 million they'll never make back. That's the biggest waste here.

We're all screwed if he turns to KS after this

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

1. is it possible to kick all your Kikongo-speaking staff out before the game triggers the language infection? If so, what happens?

Hopefully a lawsuit for wrongful termination :getin:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Broseph Brostar posted:

We're all screwed if he turns to KS after this
Can't be worse than Star Citizen

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I wanted to repeat two questions-

2. Can you take on the Metal Gear during Hellbound?

The infection will happen eventually anyway, through volunteers. Just progress through the story until it's no longer an issue. And to my knowledge, no. But I haven't really tried.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

While that does sound remarkably Kojima-esque, it's probably this tendency to go massively over budget, miss deadlines by years, and continuously court controversy that got Konami to rethink videogame development generally. Imagine what the metal gear series budgeting process must look like for a company that's diversified into fitness centers and gambling machines.
Konami's been wasting money outside of Kojima. The past five years for Konami has been a sterling example of "How to spend $200 million on fifth-rate developers and getting lovely to below average games" and Kojima had absolutely nothing to do with those failures.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Was this posted yet?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9JbUfSICGiU

Edit: I kind of wish the game had battles between opposing factions. It'd be cool sneaking past a Soviet outpost in Afghanistan while Mujahedeen assault it, creating a distraction. Or lots more people to fulton.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 7, 2015

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
So has Konami just been totally silent on whether MGSV is the hill on which their videogame production dies? I feel like MGS without Kojima isn't going to automatically suck, but if Konami develops it, it'll probably be terrible since I can't think of any good games that Konami has put out recently.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Konami's been wasting money outside of Kojima. The past five years for Konami has been a sterling example of "How to spend $200 million on fifth-rate developers and getting lovely to below average games" and Kojima had absolutely nothing to do with those failures.

Konami has also been making a lot of money elsewhere and none of it is related to MGS. So its understandable why they would shift focus, specially when Kojima has a habit of going over budget over very frugal things.

The engine will still be used for their sport games, you might see it in some Yugioh game too! And one day phones will be strong enough to render MGSVI Auschwitz Bugaloo starting The Boss as The Joy. :v:

vvv
Without proper documentation and support I cant see them licensing or selling the engine. UE4 covers a lot of the ground the Fox Engine has while being extremely well documented in japan and also having stellar support. Its one of the reasons so many developers are using it over there

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 7, 2015

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

With MGS done and Silent Hills gone, Konami's game development is dead, yeah.

If the rumors are true, they might be in talks to sell off the engine and IP. I'd believe the former before the latter - the engine itself is basically worthless to them if they aren't developing any more games, but I have a hard time believing they'd give up by far their biggest IP for any sane amount of money.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Konami has also been making a lot of money elsewhere and none of it is related to MGS. So its understandable why they would shift focus, specially when Kojima has a habit of going over budget over very frugal things.

The engine will still be used for their sport games, you might see it in some Yugioh game too! And one day phones will be strong enough to render MGSVI Auschwitz Bugaloo starting The Boss as The Joy. :v:
Fitness clubs and pachinko maybe, but they're awkwardly trying to enter the already-at-saturation mobile market and their slot machine business is getting bossed around by the companies over here.

If things don't look up for either of those cases (and they most likely won't) Konami will basically end up being SNK with fitness clubs

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If the rumors are true, they might be in talks to sell off the engine and IP. I'd believe the former before the latter - the engine itself is basically worthless to them if they aren't developing any more games, but I have a hard time believing they'd give up by far their biggest IP for any sane amount of money.
Zenimax should buy the engine and then force it down Bethesda's throat, while purchasing the rights to Alpha Protocol from Sega in a fire sale, and then hire Kojima and his band of not-so-merry people to finally make Alpha Protocol 2: A Hideo Kojima Game

Cao Ni Ma posted:

vvv
Without proper documentation and support I cant see them licensing or selling the engine. UE4 covers a lot of the ground the Fox Engine has while being extremely well documented in japan and also having stellar support. Its one of the reasons so many developers are using it over there
It is about three times faster right now though and it's not like the people who worked on it and with it are going to continue working at Konami for much more than a month longer.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 7, 2015

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
I think Omega was going to be a psuedo-historical recreation of the end of MG1. That's big enough to possibly fit the bill of never done in a video game before, letting you play out the new version of what happened.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lovely Wizard posted:

I think Omega was going to be a psuedo-historical recreation of the end of MG1. That's big enough to possibly fit the bill of never done in a video game before, letting you play out the new version of what happened.
Like the intro sequence of Symphony of the Night?

...oh.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Like the intro sequence of Symphony of the Night?

...oh.

Well poo poo you got me, I was going to say it was pretty much just a recreation of the scene but then I remembered they actually changed Dracula's hearty laughs into a bit of actual dialogue between the two.

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I have now seen the end credits 3 times. Quiet is gone, I played the prologue Truth thing, and I have all 50 missions unlocked. Not all side ops completed yet.
Is that it? Next mission, watch that cut epilogue thing?

How do we find out what happens to our Big Boss? Or is this the guy that dies in the first Metal Gear while the real one runs around in the background?

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Spy Fiction 2: Swery's revenge

A Hideo Kojima game

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Legacy of Kain: A Hideo Kojima Game

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Eternal Darkness 2

Make it happen nintendo

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
Also at one point Code Talker was all WATCH KAZ and Snake went Bwuh? and he went THE PARASITES TOLD ME TO TELL YOU. What happened with that? It feels like they got 75 percent done with this game and got told to wrap it up.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Dohaeris posted:

Also at one point Code Talker was all WATCH KAZ and Snake went Bwuh? and he went THE PARASITES TOLD ME TO TELL YOU. What happened with that? It feels like they got 75 percent done with this game and got told to wrap it up.

I think Code Talker was keeping an eye on the base for Kaz. He said eyes for Kaz and when snake was all buuuh? He laid it out.

Though the game was like 80% complete and konami said get it done. Episode 51 makes that clear enough.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Dohaeris posted:

Code Talker catches Kaz making calls to Cipher, which sets up his eventual turn against the real Big Boss. He was a "business partner" of Cipher's before GZ, as well.

And yeah, Venom Snake is the one that gets killed during MG1, while the real Big Boss gets killed in MG2, then brought back for MGS4.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Dohaeris posted:

If Eli's the kingdom of the flies was comparable in size to the other places (I assume they'd have side-ops there and stuff) It may be closer to 2/3's finished.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Deadly Premonition 2: directed by Hideo Kojima

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"These two whole wheat bread slices have been toasted to perfection, and the turkey has been cured to a mirror sheen."

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So how did Ocelot meet up with Liquid for MGS1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Anyone know where you get the mist parasites?

• Locked thread