Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If Stephen Amell suddenly came back with a triangular face I'd call him a Dorito too. Please keep your dumb tumblr opinions on tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
She defo looks way different, like a 16:9 image being squashed to 4:3

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Seriously, am I the only one worried that this new guy isn't big enough?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I don't know who Mr. Terrific is because he's some lamo D-Tier DC Comics character, so I don't really care who plays him as long as it works out well within the confines of the television show.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
She's visibly changed and still a beautiful woman.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

same

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm sure people talked about her change of appearance in sexist ways, but she looked dramatically different from season 1 to season 2. Noting that alone isn't sexist.

I had to check to see if they had recast the character.
So sexist and creepy of me.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I hate the idea of trying to make Diggle into Mr. Terrific or Green Lantern or any of the other suggestions. They created an original character and trying to mash it into the mold of a pre-existing one seems silly and counterproductive. Just let Dig be Dig. If he *must* get a Superhero Name then use the codename they already wrote for him - Freelancer is pretty cool, really.

I think he works better as guy who doesn't get in a special getup to go do his thing, but that ship has evidently sailed.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
I don't think anyone is suggesting he be Mr. Terrific, considering that's Mr. Terrific running around with Felicity in the trailer.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Ville Valo posted:

I don't think anyone is suggesting he be Mr. Terrific, considering that's Mr. Terrific running around with Felicity in the trailer.

Haven't watched the trailer, but there were several posts a couple pages back suggesting the 'T' shape of the helmet visor = Mr. Terrific. V:shobon:V

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

evenworse username posted:

Haven't watched the trailer, but there were several posts a couple pages back suggesting the 'T' shape of the helmet visor = Mr. Terrific. V:shobon:V

Mr. Terrific might be a two-man identity with Diggle being the physical presence and Holt being the brains and assisting with the T-spheres.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Misters Terrific.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
it's Messrs. Terrific, you loving philistine

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I like that idea assuming Diggle doesn't take the name. He just runs around in a helmet using cool toys the other guy makes. Then Cisco comes to town to help with the spheres, bonds with the other guy, and they name him and Diggle gives them a death glare.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dig seems more like a bring a gun to a knife fight kind of guy than Fairplay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Christ, that trailer looked so bad.

I'm really upset that this show went to poo poo, now it's only a matter of time before The Flash follows suit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Flash managed to have a season where 15 of its 20-something episodes had the exact same plot and nobody seemed to mind that so I think it can get away with anything now.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Aphrodite posted:

Flash managed to have a season where 15 of its 20-something episodes had the exact same plot and nobody seemed to mind that so I think it can get away with anything now.

Flash is much more of a monster of the week kind of show. There are serialized elements, but they are downplayed compared to Arrow. I expect the longer the show runs the more the serialized elements will overtake the episodic elements.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Deakul posted:

I'm really upset that this show went to poo poo, now it's only a matter of time before The Flash follows suit.

I thought that trailer looked pretty good.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Deakul posted:

Good news! It probably won't make it that far because lolDCembargo (yes, I am still beating that dead horse; Ezra Miller may be saying all this stuff about parallel universes but you bet your loving rear end that the higher ups at DC and WB are going to can the show once the Flash film goes into production because "we can't have brand dilution").

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Scyantific posted:

Good news! It probably won't make it that far because lolDCembargo (yes, I am still beating that dead horse; Ezra Miller may be saying all this stuff about parallel universes but you bet your loving rear end that the higher ups at DC and WB are going to can the show once the Flash film goes into production because "we can't have brand dilution").

Bull loving poo poo. If you can't understand the difference between sending notes to the writing room and eradicating a revenue stream, I don't know what the gently caress to tell you. DC will poo poo on creative all day long but they aren't about to throw money out the window.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Lol "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is complaining that Amell is embarrassing the prestigious field of wrestling

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arrow-star-stephen-amell-wwe-summerslam-stone-cold-steve-austin-unhappy-actors-wrestling-stint-1518589

quote:

"…I just got a hard time seeing that kid come off with that crossbody on the top rope on two WWE guys down there. So, was it embarrassing? You're drat right it was, but for the wrong reasons, and the reasons were bad booking. It was shoot embarrassing to those guys to have to go out there and do that with the actor guy involved, but that's on a shoot level, so it was an embarrassment because of the booking, and I felt bad for those guys because they were in that role," he added.

Pretty sure everyone involved was fine with it. Neville got a major PPV match, Stardust got to bank on his insane persona, and Barret got to enjoy the ride. There was a crazy amount of free media attention for the spot and Amell clearly took a beating for the stunt. The whole joke was a Hollywood actor coming in to fight, and then not being a total pushover and taking hits.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Crunk Abortion posted:

Bull loving poo poo. If you can't understand the difference between sending notes to the writing room and eradicating a revenue stream, I don't know what the gently caress to tell you. DC will poo poo on creative all day long but they aren't about to throw money out the window.

You can't underestimate how far/stupid the DC execs will go. They banned Booster Gold from the TV shows. Who the gently caress would ever think that he'd be a movie hero accessory at best? The joke is The Flash is burning through all the iconic villains because once the movie script is written the show will get loving hammered with Flash lore they can no longer touch.

Arrow and Flash are huge hits on the CW. Which means nothing to people who calculate $ in terms of blockbuster movies and "big 4" network hits. Just look at the rapid change in tone to the Supergirl pilot. At first it was "The CW shows have nothing to do with this" then after The Flash blew up the ratings suddenly the CBS president dropped the idea of "Well maybe its possible, who knows? Don't rule it out"

Essentially, the DC franchise has no loving clue what it is doing, and its entirely possible they will cancel a wildly successful show because they have plans for movie 4 years in the future.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

pentyne posted:

Lol "Stone Cold" Steve Austin is complaining that Amell is embarrassing the prestigious field of wrestling

quote:

It was shoot embarrassing to those guys to have to go out there and do that with the actor guy involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blkANirGSbI&t=51s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4B-xwvIEgI&t=422s

:allears:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crunk Abortion posted:

I don't think they'll cancel the show.

I do think they might decide that for the season that airs when the movie comes out, maybe the Flash shouldn't be such a big part of the show, maybe for that season they call it The Flash featuring Jesse Quick! and the Flash is busy in space or whatever and doesn't show up till the season finale.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

pentyne posted:

They banned Booster Gold from the TV shows. Who the gently caress would ever think that he'd be a movie hero accessory at best?

So you hate DC for having faith in their characters and trying to develop them into series?

Okay then.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

oh jay posted:

So you hate DC for having faith in their characters and trying to develop them into series?

Okay then.

DC has a poor track record of developing successful franchises in recent years. Outside of Flash and Arrow (which are inherently limited by their medium and network) and the Nolan Batman films, DC has come nowhere close to the financial or creative success of their counterparts at Marvel.

Combined with a well documented history of heavy handed editorial interference, there isn't a lot of faith in the current leadership at DC/Time Warner/whatever the gently caress corporate structure they have. And this isn't just movies and TV, the DC comics are selling significantly worse than Marvel right now.

All this is also occurring when their IP has never been more valuable, and they don't have the same obstacles Marvel has had in losing rights to their most popular IPs.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

hi liter posted:

DC has a poor track record of developing successful franchises in recent years. Outside of Flash and Arrow (which are inherently limited by their medium and network) and the Nolan Batman films, DC has come nowhere close to the financial or creative success of their counterparts at Marvel.

Combined with a well documented history of heavy handed editorial interference, there isn't a lot of faith in the current leadership at DC/Time Warner/whatever the gently caress corporate structure they have. And this isn't just movies and TV, the DC comics are selling significantly worse than Marvel right now.

All this is also occurring when their IP has never been more valuable, and they don't have the same obstacles Marvel has had in losing rights to their most popular IPs.

TO be fair, their videogames are decent.. (Which is limited to the Arkham series)

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

pentyne posted:

You can't underestimate how far/stupid the DC execs will go. They banned Booster Gold from the TV shows. Who the gently caress would ever think that he'd be a movie hero accessory at best? The joke is The Flash is burning through all the iconic villains because once the movie script is written the show will get loving hammered with Flash lore they can no longer touch.

In the case of Booster Gold, SyFy was developing a Booster Gold series a couple years back. I don't know what happened to it, I assumed that it never left early development, but that might be the reason they aren't allowed to use him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC has literally released only 2 movies in that time and 1 was just as successful as Marvel's.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

pentyne posted:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/arrow-star-stephen-amell-wwe-summerslam-stone-cold-steve-austin-unhappy-actors-wrestling-stint-1518589

Pretty sure everyone involved was fine with it. Neville got a major PPV match, Stardust got to bank on his insane persona, and Barret got to enjoy the ride. There was a crazy amount of free media attention for the spot and Amell clearly took a beating for the stunt. The whole joke was a Hollywood actor coming in to fight, and then not being a total pushover and taking hits.

Stone Cold apparently has a track record of throwing shitfits about celebrities getting involved in matches, because he thinks it undermines the intergrity of his fake fightmans soap opera.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hi liter posted:

And this isn't just movies and TV, the DC comics are selling significantly worse than Marvel right now.

Have they actually gone down in sales since the first Iron Man movie came out, or have Marvel sales gone up? Since I'd argue this is a chicken/egg situation where the success of the Marvel movies is actually boosting the comic book sales, while the inability of DC to make the same splash on the cinematic scene is preventing DC from riding the same wave, regardless of quality.

Not saying I disagree, of course. Just picking nits about cause and effect. I'm salty as gently caress about the slow pace of DC and how they seem to be up their own asses regarding melodrama in the cinematic universe.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

hi liter posted:

Outside of Flash and Arrow (which are inherently limited by their medium and network) a

I fundamentally disagee with this and think TV is actually a better space for certain comic properties. You can develop your characters a lot better and rehab 2nd tier or re-imagine other properties.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I fundamentally disagee with this and think TV is actually a better space for certain comic properties. You can develop your characters a lot better and rehab 2nd tier or re-imagine other properties.

Most of the run-up to the Flash series was "how will they handle the special effects for his speeding" and shockingly it looks great. Even Firestorm looked amazing on the CW budget but was probably only viable in short bursts.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

pentyne posted:

Most of the run-up to the Flash series was "how will they handle the special effects for his speeding" and shockingly it looks great. Even Firestorm looked amazing on the CW budget but was probably only viable in short bursts.

Not being a DC comics guy I get the sense that Firestorm maybe weird to incorporate to not WIN EVERY FIGHT USE FIRESTORM.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Not being a DC comics guy I get the sense that Firestorm maybe weird to incorporate to not WIN EVERY FIGHT USE FIRESTORM.

Yeah that's every comic book move/tv show ever. Like why does the Flash even bother to stop moving during a fight? He could just drop them into a prison cell in a split second? Because then it would be boring.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

I agree with your point. The limitations I referred to are the smaller audience and profits, and a smaller net cultural impact (this is a debatable point).

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dc also scored with iZombie, which took a middling comic series and turned it into the CW's best show.

its goddamn great, y'all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dc also scored with iZombie, which took a middling comic series and turned it into the CW's best show.

its goddamn great, y'all.

Call me when the show introduces the gay Were-Terrier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Better look at Diggle's costume for Season 4

Magneto helmet still needs to go.

• Locked thread