Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

vOv posted:

If you buy it through Steam, you have to buy all your upgrades through Steam, which means you can't get the physical collector's editions.

no difference other than that, though? I'm not really that big on CEs

I like the convenience of buying stuff on steam (and have some extra steambux atm) so I'd prefer to buy it there, but I'm just making sure there's nothing that will hurt me game-wise.

e: like if I can't redeem a friend invite or something

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

IcePhoenix posted:

You can pay via Steam Wallet, if you're into that sort of thing, but you lose out on the ability to buy expansions at the 20-40% discount that other online retailers often offer. That's the only real difference.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

HiKaizer posted:

Aside from what was mentioned, you used to be able to have the main tank step into the conflags to cause the Death Sentence to do no damage to them being invulnerable. Later they changed it so that Twintania would switch to the next target if you did that.

Or at least I think it was something like that. This was patched out before I actually got to do T5 so I wasn't present for that particular exploit.

It was a common strategy that if one healer was targeted by the conflag, and the other healer was targeted by the fireball, the tank would duck into the conflag with them and be invincible as Twintania just hit them for 0 but continuing her normal routine, avoiding the problem of both healers being incapacitated for the duration. Eventually they made Twin just target the second highest on the list, but they didn't stop both healers from being taken out of the fight. By then though it usually wasn't a big problem since DPS had gotten a lot higher across the board and the gimmick was handled much quicker.

Also, just the fact that the mechanic could force both healers to be out of the fight for 5-10 seconds at all which is pretty telling for how well thought out the encounter planning was at the time, especially considering that each time this gimmick took place there was a very high chance that the boss was winding up to do a tank buster. It's gotten better, but there's still a lot of these types of mechanics that target people at random without discrimination of their role that make fights seem a lot more hectic than they can be if the RNG plays nice.

Male of the Century fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 7, 2015

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

IcePhoenix posted:

I like the convenience of buying stuff on steam (and have some extra steambux atm) so I'd prefer to buy it there, but I'm just making sure there's nothing that will hurt me game-wise.

e: like if I can't redeem a friend invite or something

Pretty much it'll just force you to boot up the steam client whenever you want to run it, and in the future all expansions will need to be bought through Steam. The boxed copies are not compatible with the Steam versions of the game.

That's the only real difference. Friend invites and collector's edition content and cash shop stuff are bought through Mogstation, as usual. If you need a friend invite, there's a goon list in the server forum.

Edit: I went with the non-Steam version, since I managed to find ARR on sale for 10 dollars and Heavensward on sale for 30 elsewhere. I'm not sure how often or even if Steam does sales on FF14 at current, but I know Greenmangaming has had a number of discounts apply to it lately.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

HiKaizer posted:

Aside from what was mentioned, you used to be able to have the main tank step into the conflags to cause the Death Sentence to do no damage to them being invulnerable. Later they changed it so that Twintania would switch to the next target if you did that.

Or at least I think it was something like that. This was patched out before I actually got to do T5 so I wasn't present for that particular exploit.

I thought you could still dodge death sentence by running in the conflag, or at least I remember doing it late 2.0x well after the fixes and adjustments. It was risky though, as if you weren't healed up and the conflag died before DS procced, you'd have no cooldowns up, couldn't be healed while in conflag, and you'd get gibbed hard. I remember causing a few wipes that way :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ironslave posted:

Pretty much it'll just force you to boot up the steam client whenever you want to run it, and in the future all expansions will need to be bought through Steam. The boxed copies are not compatible with the Steam versions of the game.

You are not forced to boot Steam to run the game. You can create a shortcut to the launcher for the Steam version, and it will bypass Steam entirely. Alternatively, you can also download the pc client from the website and use that, also bypassing launching Steam.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

I thought you could still dodge death sentence by running in the conflag, or at least I remember doing it late 2.0x well after the fixes and adjustments. It was risky though, as if you weren't healed up and the conflag died before DS procced, you'd have no cooldowns up, couldn't be healed while in conflag, and you'd get gibbed hard. I remember causing a few wipes that way :v:

they did a second wave of adjustments that made ds switch to the second aggro target if the tank was getting saucy with conflags

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

kharaa posted:

they did a second wave of adjustments that made ds switch to the second aggro target if the tank was getting saucy with conflags

Ah that was probably soon after I was kind of done running it. It's almost too bad, even if unintentional, it was an interesting mechanic that still had plenty of risk.

But I also think the bug with that crit-from-side-and-behind war ability where heals would crit too was an interesting mechanic that the devs seemed to disagree with me on :v: Maybe it was a little op, but it's actually not terribly easy to heal tanks from the side/rear without significant risk in like, most fights. It was hard to get pubbies to understand it while it was a thing, and it was patched long before alex normal was even out where that'd potentially be very heavily abused and probably waaaay too powerful. I hope a future tank ability does something kind of like that but balanced, though.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

Breaking apart mechanics is fun, but mechanics having their punishing element being trivialized and not causing an instant wipe - in the final battle of a raid tier - is bullshit. So far T5, T9 and T13 all have had poo poo that, if you didn't deal with it correctly, bye bye raid. They don't cancel all of those mechanics out, but two of the major ones are just gone from anyone's concern. It would be like removing the death walls of the previous tiers and making it possible to just soak divebombs. Not cool.

I have no idea where you are up to in A4S, but these "exploits" have been known to at least a few raid groups I know and they have been practicing them for weeks and still can't do it. The absolute last word I would use to describe anything in this fight is trivial, even with unintended solutions. Some were just doing half-nisi carries, choosing to drop the debuff after first royal pentacle and just sac the rest because even that was so hard they couldn't imagine not using nisi at all. They probably didn't imagine you could skip the second royal pentacle though.

Letting the dolls self-destruct is a dps gain but it shouldn't be overstated. Normally the doll should be almost dead when it is fed anyway, almost all the gained dps is from diverting one DPS from that to the leg and the off tank, as the others still need to dps down their adds. The majority of that DPS should be credited to the absurd skill of the players and it's that which makes this strategy possible foremost, even with this they are seconds away from missing the skip on royal pentacle. I don't anticipate there to be more than a single figure number of groups who can reach this number at this point, but with max i210 it seems like you could outgear the need for nisi.

It's a trade off at the very least between comparable ball-busting difficulty and I don't anticipate a surge in clears. I anticipate a surge of people who are going to call this easy though despite the massive drop of raid groups that are going to be able to do this before echo.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

From watching both videos I appreciate the varying strategies, and I'm disappointed some people are so quick to call exploit. The big doll mechanic has a clear cost to failing it, and they found a way to deal with that (coincidentally it lines up with a lot of mana mechanics, almost as if...). If they want judgment nisi to be more punishing they'll tweak it or hotfix some aspect of it, especially since they undoubtedly already knew how the encounters were handled on the first few kills.

Grats again to both groups.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

nuru posted:

The big doll mechanic has a clear cost to failing it, and they found a way to deal with that (coincidentally it lines up with a lot of mana mechanics, almost as if...)

yeah, like, hmm! i wonder why failing the dps check does mana damage instead of wiping the group instantly? it obviously can't be that there are multiple options available to the party here

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Honestly even if it was just a straight up cheesy exploit up there with T2 enrage good riddance. Nisi is an awful loving mechanic and makes me want to go back to the easy days of doing T7S in i110 gear.

If people think that is too much of a cheese then I await their clear before the next reset. It's not like the difficulty of Alex hadn't jumped the shark without it.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010
Does anyone have a recruitment code I can use to try this game out again? I bought it when it first came out and want to give it another crack. I'm in AU if it matters for server choice etc. Also, what class is both fun and very powerful solo? I usually like to heal in group situations

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Burt Gherkin posted:

Does anyone have a recruitment code I can use to try this game out again? I bought it when it first came out and want to give it another crack. I'm in AU if it matters for server choice etc. Also, what class is both fun and very powerful solo? I usually like to heal in group situations
Sure thing
RS99U6M2
As far as recommending fun classes I can't tell you too much, I'm a bit too enarmored with Dragoon to branch out atm but I'll vouch for that being a fun time.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Burt Gherkin posted:

Scholar is a great healer and their pet makes them arguably the best solo class as well.

Burt Gherkin
Feb 8, 2010

Other posted:

Sure thing
RS99U6M2
As far as recommending fun classes I can't tell you too much, I'm a bit too enarmored with Dragoon to branch out atm but I'll vouch for that being a fun time.

Thanks for that. I put in the code, do I still have to put in CC details to get this going?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Klungar posted:

Scholar is a great healer and their pet makes them arguably the best solo class as well.

Also you get a free DPS class out of the deal as long as you get your requisites for Summoner done.

I actually levelled my SCH so I could play SMN at 60 then fell in love with it around the level before Brayflox. Then brayflox taught me about idiots standing in the bad. Then I got Leeches, Succor, and Lustrate :v:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Fishious posted:

I have no idea where you are up to in A4S

Ilifin's group is still on A3S.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Some people just hate fun.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Both GLA and MRD are also great soloers, especially once GLA picks up cross-class stuff like Bloodbath/Cure and MRD gets Inner Beast. Their only flaw is they have to close in to enemies but that's not too horrible of a deal.

Fluegel
Apr 7, 2007

Klungar posted:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Both GLA and MRD are also great soloers, especially once GLA picks up cross-class stuff like Bloodbath/Cure and MRD gets Inner Beast. Their only flaw is they have to close in to enemies but that's not too horrible of a deal.

Scholar Is a good bet if you want to go solo and heal. But I can also recommend to just roll a tank if you plan on doing most content solo. Tanking is very straightforward in this game - the real challenge is pushing out as much damage as you can get away with - and you mostly don't have to deal with long queues when doing dungeons or story trials.

Be advised however that PLD is in a weird spot right now. It might be better to start off as a MRD although you'll have to get GLA to 22 anyway.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Fluegel posted:

Tanking is very straightforward in this game -

Addendum for anyone that might be starting as a tank: for the first ~30 levels, when you do group content and need to actually keep threat on things, your AoE threat generator (Flash, Overpower) is significantly better than your single target ones until you get the third step in your combo. Once you get past that though tanking is very straightforward through much of the game.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Advice for all tanks: Get used to using the time between your gcds to check other targets and monitor your threat lead. Don't tunnel vision on one target. Your healer generates threat against all targets and the DPS might have a different idea of which mob should be burned down first. Threat generation is crazy bonkers enough in this game that you should almost always be able to keep threat with similarly geared DPS, even if they're attacking different targets or going balls out with AoE.

(Please note that threat generation is significantly less crazy bonkers at the levels before you get your #3 move in your threat combo.)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I just unlocked DREx as an i148 PLD, and finding keeping up with DPS who have 50 ilvls on me a difficult proposition. I see I'm getting i160 gear from running the dungeons, but that will only get me so far. So far people have kept the impatience at my small pulls to a minimum, but I know I'm causing the dreaded 40-50 minute DREx. Do I have better options besides just Flashing for all I can to try and hold hate on the bigger packs? Are there any shortcuts to getting my ilvl up besides farming my Law/Eso gear? What ilvl should I be shooting for to get carried through Alex Normal? Assuming PLD doesn't get any buffs soon, I'm reluctant to throw any tomes at it when I'm certainly starting to feel the lack of AoE options and damage in general after getting WAR to 50 and working on getting DRK there as well. In the meantime, I have to keep running DREx every day to start catching up on tome farming, so it's PLD for the next couple of weeks. I know I'm rambling, but any advice would be appreciated so I don't have a neurotic break from my poor play.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Klungar posted:

I just unlocked DREx as an i148 PLD, and finding keeping up with DPS who have 50 ilvls on me a difficult proposition. I see I'm getting i160 gear from running the dungeons, but that will only get me so far. So far people have kept the impatience at my small pulls to a minimum, but I know I'm causing the dreaded 40-50 minute DREx. Do I have better options besides just Flashing for all I can to try and hold hate on the bigger packs? Are there any shortcuts to getting my ilvl up besides farming my Law/Eso gear? What ilvl should I be shooting for to get carried through Alex Normal? Assuming PLD doesn't get any buffs soon, I'm reluctant to throw any tomes at it when I'm certainly starting to feel the lack of AoE options and damage in general after getting WAR to 50 and working on getting DRK there as well. In the meantime, I have to keep running DREx every day to start catching up on tome farming, so it's PLD for the next couple of weeks. I know I'm rambling, but any advice would be appreciated so I don't have a neurotic break from my poor play.

You need i170 minimum to get into Alex, but that level is also fine to start running it. i160 EX Dungeon gear is all you can really get at the moment until you've grinded enough up to start buying your pieces. You may also consider running Frontlines Roulette for extra tomes, it's an easy 100.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

When you're undergeared or inexperienced it does wonders to just say so at the beginning of the run. You'll probably find most people are ok with taking the extra five minutes.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Klungar posted:

People complaining about PLD being underpowered are talking about serious cutting edge progression content. In everything but Alex Savage you'll be more than fine, and even then by the time you're geared enough to take on Savage (assuming you even want to) being a PLD won't be an issue.

The only tomes you need to worry about spending "correctly" are Eso tomes. You are showered with Law tomes through roulettes, so don't worry about "wasting" them on the wrong tank class. Buy your PLD law weapon asap, as weapon damage is the single biggest contributor to damage and threat generation.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When I would run my daily EXDR as a healer while leveling up PLD on the side, I would roll greed on the tank gear, and eventually got a full set of valerian terror knight gear. But by the time I hit 60 on my PLD, I had enough law tomes to buy a full set of Yasha gear so v:shobon:v

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

You may also consider running Frontlines Roulette for extra tomes, it's an easy 100.

Even if you hate PVP this is worth a shot. The first time you do it each day nets 40 eso/100 law then you can repeat Seal Rock for 20/50 as long as you can tolerate the boredom. The tomes are guaranteed and if you really can't stand PVP all you have to do is move once every couple minutes while reading a book/website/watching porn.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

BGrifter posted:

Even if you hate PVP this is worth a shot. The first time you do it each day nets 40 eso/100 law then you can repeat Seal Rock for 20/50 as long as you can tolerate the boredom. The tomes are guaranteed and if you really can't stand PVP all you have to do is move once every couple minutes while reading a book/website/watching porn.

Please don't do anything in Seal Rock that you wouldn't be okay with an Alex pug doing to you. Just follow the group and heal/kill people, or sit at nodes pretending to defend them.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Niton posted:

Please don't do anything in Seal Rock that you wouldn't be okay with an Alex pug doing to you. Just follow the group and heal/kill people, or sit at nodes pretending to defend them.

What Niton is trying to politely point out is that dying has a very real cost to your team.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Niton posted:

Or you could auto run blindly into mobs of the other team and remind everyone in alliance chat that "we still get the same amount of tomes win or lose". They love it when you do that.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TooManyUzukis posted:

Advice for all tanks: Get used to using the time between your gcds to check other targets and monitor your threat lead. Don't tunnel vision on one target. Your healer generates threat against all targets and the DPS might have a different idea of which mob should be burned down first. Threat generation is crazy bonkers enough in this game that you should almost always be able to keep threat with similarly geared DPS, even if they're attacking different targets or going balls out with AoE.

(Please note that threat generation is significantly less crazy bonkers at the levels before you get your #3 move in your threat combo.)

I've basically imported my habit of tabbing through enemies from Vanilla WoW. It might not be the most dps-efficient, but I almost never lose enmity.

EDIT:

BGrifter posted:

It's worth trying pvp once just to get the "___ Puppy" title.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Was thinking about adding one-time code security to my account but first I'd like to know- will the client on my computer remember that it's authorized, or will i have to check my phone for an authenticator code every time i start up FFXIV?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Remy Marathe posted:

Was thinking about adding one-time code security to my account but first I'd like to know- will the client on my computer remember that it's authorized, or will i have to check my phone for an authenticator code every time i start up FFXIV?

Every time.

It's for the best, though.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
And if you reset or replace your phone you need to unlink it first.

That's an argument for the physical token, they last forever. Mine's probably ten years old.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Just save the emergency code to Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive/Evernote/whatever and you're fine.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
It's a bit of a pain but it's way more secure. Considering the time and money people sink into MMO accounts, it's well worth it. You don't even need a real phone, just get an android emulator or something.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

It's completely worth it and the phone app opens up to the code. Also, you get to set a location in game as a free teleport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I just started the trial for this so let me get this straight: I can be any class/job on my character and switch whenever I want??

• Locked thread