Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Nah, I made it for this article. Occasionally I get requests from color-blind people to adjust my works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Nah, I made it for this article. Occasionally I get requests from color-blind people to adjust my works.

Would it hurt to fill with a pattern and a colour for the sake of universal design?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Bifford posted:

Any colorblind goons here? Can you guys distinguish the political regions on this map, which are orange and light green?

I'm not color blind and "aegean sea" is hard to read/notice

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

If you're working with Adobe products, you can test for color blindness. For example in Photoshop: View > Proof Setup > Color blindness: Protanopia/Deuteranopia type

tuyop posted:

Would it hurt to fill with a pattern and a colour for the sake of universal design?

This is what you should do.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Better?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The problem with it is not that the two colors are touching – it's the fact that you're attempting to make a visual distinction between three things by saying "thing one is purple, two is green and three is another green." This makes the distinction less obvious and harder to parse (especially on the small bits of land, who can tell what color those are when they're all a sort of hazy olive color).

Just choose some more radically different colors or use patterns. iirc WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility requirements (which I'd bet Wikipedia tries to adhere to, maybe even AAA) state that using color and color alone to define a difference between two items is not okay.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

kedo posted:

The problem with it is not that the two colors are touching – it's the fact that you're attempting to make a visual distinction between three things by saying "thing one is purple, two is green and three is another green." This makes the distinction less obvious and harder to parse (especially on the small bits of land, who can tell what color those are when they're all a sort of hazy olive color).

Just choose some more radically different colors or use patterns. iirc WCAG 2.0 AA accessibility requirements (which I'd bet Wikipedia tries to adhere to, maybe even AAA) state that using color and color alone to define a difference between two items is not okay.

Where are you seeing "another green"? There's green, purple, orange, tan/gray. And of course light blue for water.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

tuyop posted:

This is actually harder on a greater percentage of the population than color issues are.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

The top-left corner of the map is also supposed to be grey. Grey is the color code for those lands not allied to either Sparta or Athens. Can you distinguish the difference between the light green and the grey?

I'm red/green and highly colour-blind (~92%)and I can see everything fine.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I've got some houseplants that have been in the same pots for 10 years with nothing added to the soil, and they continue to flourish. A rubber plant is still growing (horizontally, not vertically) and looks like it's planning to take over the city; the others seem to have reached their size limit as I'm sure they're rootbound. I thought they'd need nutrients to survive but water seems to be enough. What's going on here? Is the original soil still providing nutrients?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Most of what goes into a plant (or a human for that matter) is carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, which they handily get from atmospheric CO2 and the water you give them. Nitrogen is going to be a little scarce with no fertilizer/compost/fresh soil but there's probably some microorganisms around to convert atmospheric N2 into something the plant can use. Trace elements in the water should provide everything else.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

HMS Boromir posted:

Most of what goes into a plant (or a human for that matter) is carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, which they handily get from atmospheric CO2 and the water you give them. Nitrogen is going to be a little scarce with no fertilizer/compost/fresh soil but there's probably some microorganisms around to convert atmospheric N2 into something the plant can use. Trace elements in the water should provide everything else.

Interesting, thanks. I've always heard about the importance of potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen so I wasn't sure if these plants didn't need it or were getting it from... somewhere. Good point about the trace elements in water, and who knows what old pipes might be adding to the mix as well I suppose.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kapalama posted:

This is actually harder on a greater percentage of the population than color issues are.

Can you go into this a little? Using patterns and colours together is the universal design best practice among teachers when these things come up. I've never heard that patterns and colours together would be worse than colours alone.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Poke around on colorbrewer for a zillion examples of map colorations that look good together. There's even a box you can check for colorblind-safe.

Also, if you like maps, the Politically-loaded map thread is a lot of fun.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

tuyop posted:

Can you go into this a little? Using patterns and colours together is the universal design best practice among teachers when these things come up. I've never heard that patterns and colours together would be worse than colours alone.

There are actually two different issues at play here. The first is background, the second is specific.

1. We still have a group of designers of whole systems thinking in a metaphor determined by the technology and what they are used to, rather than by usability. I simply don't trust people involved in computer design to think outside the box enough to be able to understand usability, on even a basic level. They have adapted themselves to the needs of the computers, and so ingrained that into their way of thinking that they simply forget that they are adapting to computer's needs. For people with differing needs this level of adaption is not possible.

The hallmark example is the layout of computer screens which never made sense for humans. The minute the technology freed end users to choose orientation, every single person chooses portrait when dealing with text. And yet if you told someone 10 years ago that portrait is the default human mode, you would have had computer people arguing with you. Because, as noted, people with the most intimate continuous interactions with the machines have so internalized the machines demands that they forget who is supposed to be making decisions about design.

2. In general there are ongoing issues in usability design because we don't yet have a generation of computer users who have suffered age-related loss of visual acuity. The typical sorts of patterns used to differentiate between different areas, on say a map, are basically invisible to someone with reduced vision, especially those with central visual acuity loss. Color acuity on the other hand remains undiminished with age. Which is why we have been using colors for maps forever.

It's also why art (and TV) is appreciated by all ages, but READER"S DIGEST LARGE PRINT EDITIONS are only needed by older people. But the illustrations don't need to be resized for the older readers, strangely enough.

Now if designers were able to work out a system that could be fully functional, with either complete loss of color differentiation, or complete loss of pattern differentiation, this would not be an issue. But the fact that it is not has something to do with how color is perceived, as playing with any number of optical illusions with a color picker, or just a white wall, will show. Colors are perceived not by dropper values on screen memory, but by the mind making sense of things.

So if choosing one is needed, we need to make sure we are not excluding a group which will only grow over time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Where did the idea that ninjas dress all in black come from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuroko

Interesting theory that it came from the traditional Japanese theatre's stagehands:

quote:

In kabuki, the kuroko serve many of the same purposes as running crew. They move scenery and props on stage, aiding in scene changes and costume changes. They will also often play the role of animals, will-o-the-wisps, or other roles which are played not by an actor in full costume, but by holding a prop. Kuroko wear all black, head to toe, in order to imply that they are invisible and not part of the action onstage.

The convention of wearing black to imply that the wearer is invisible on stage is a central element in bunraku puppet theatre as well. Kuroko will wear white or blue in order to blend in with the background in a scene set, for example, in a snowstorm, or at sea, in which case they are referred to as "Yukigo" (雪子 snow person?) or "Namigo" (波子 wave person?) respectively. As this convention was extended to kabuki actors depicting stealthy ninja, historian Stephen Turnbull suggested that the stereotypical image of a ninja dressed all in black derived from kabuki.[

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
Is there a way to get info about smokers in the US besides the CDC? Been seeing way more people lighting up in the last year or two and the every CDC hit I get is based off of a large comprehensive but outdated study from '10. I want to know if what I'm seeing is just anecdotal, city-specific, or a national trend that hasn't been recorded yet.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Rubies posted:

Is there a way to get info about smokers in the US besides the CDC? Been seeing way more people lighting up in the last year or two and the every CDC hit I get is based off of a large comprehensive but outdated study from '10. I want to know if what I'm seeing is just anecdotal, city-specific, or a national trend that hasn't been recorded yet.

A simple google search of smoking by city turns up results from 2013. http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/by_topic/adult_data/ AFAIK, the the CDC is pretty much the only publicly accountable source keeping tabs on such info. (I'm sure companies like Phillip Morris have their own marketing research, but for obvious reasons, they don't post it online.)

Since smoking rates have been dropping across the board, it is mostly likely anecdotal.

You're probably seeing a lot more people smoking because you're spending more time around people who smoke, and/or, you've started paying attention to people smoking, when you likely didn't care before. For example, if you go from working at a Starbucks to an office job, odds are the older office workers are more likely to smoke than college student barristas.

How stable has your life been over the the last two years? Any major changes in your life like a new job, new family members, or plans to get healthy? That might cloud your perception on smoking rates.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 6, 2015

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Where did the trope of ghosts residing in paintings of themselves when they were alive come from?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want to sell my 360, how do I make sure there's no longer any personal information on it?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Does anyone happen to have a link to razz's "ask me about maceration" thread? I have no idea how to find archived threads.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kurtofan posted:

I want to sell my 360, how do I make sure there's no longer any personal information on it?

Log out of your profile and then delete that profile.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking about entering a trade (electrician). I hate my white collar job and always feel like I'm screwing someone. I want to feel like I'm making something and I always enjoyed dicking around with wiring and circuits as a teen.

Are there any existing threads here or in the careers thread? Should I make one?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

There is a home wiring thread that seems to have some active real world workers in it:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3090739

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
If I wanted to play all four Metal Gear Solid games before diving into the fifth one, what's the best legal way to do that? How many individual consoles would I need?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Get the Metal Gear Solid legacy collection for ps3 or 360, play whatever you feel you want to off of that, then go hog wild. play ground zeroes if you wish.

The most important ones for 5, I would say, are 1, 3, and peace walker. 2 isn't as directly tied to knowing what's going on, but it can help contextualize some plot elements, and portable ops, which is on PSP, I believe, explains the origins of some relationships, but it's not really necessary at all, unless you're a die-hard fan, or really confused about how Big Boss met some people.

Oh and 4, of course. I forgot about it. THat's PS3 only.

So at best you only need a PS3 and a PC/PS4/Xbone, or at worst, PS3, PSP, and PC/PS4/Xbone

muike fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 6, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've got the pc covered, I just got a free copy of MGSV with a new graphics card. So a ps3 would cover me for the rest. Thanks for your response, appreciate it.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Is there a word or short phrase that means "you do what you say you're going to do, and make it clear exactly why and how you're doing it"? Or a description of this quality? Reliability doesn't seem to quite cover it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Memento posted:

I've got the pc covered, I just got a free copy of MGSV with a new graphics card. So a ps3 would cover me for the rest. Thanks for your response, appreciate it.

No problem. There's a metal gear megathread in games, I think, that can answer any small questions you have. I mean you're probably going to be confused anyway, but it's ok to just accept that when it comes to metal gear.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

bee posted:

Is there a word or short phrase that means "you do what you say you're going to do, and make it clear exactly why and how you're doing it"? Or a description of this quality? Reliability doesn't seem to quite cover it.

Depending on the context, "transparent" might fit the bill.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is there a philosophy where people only worry about things they can control (health, lifestyle, etc) and don't care about things they can't (the weather, other people's behavior, etc)?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is there a philosophy where people only worry about things they can control (health, lifestyle, etc) and don't care about things they can't (the weather, other people's behavior, etc)?

People taking it seriously also understand that health and lifestyle are also outside of one's control.

But Stoicism, or any of the Nirvana/Karma based philosophical systems probably have spent more time thinking about these things than most.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

kapalama posted:

People taking it seriously also understand that health and lifestyle are also outside of one's control.

But Stoicism, or any of the Nirvana/Karma based philosophical systems probably have spent more time thinking about these things than most.

You can control your health and lifestyle as best you can and say screw the rest.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

You can control your health and lifestyle as best you can and say screw the rest.

I think they meant that maybe there's no such thing as free will.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

dirby posted:

Depending on the context, "transparent" might fit the bill.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Mister Kingdom posted:

Pragmatism?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Sounds like it's called being a well-adjusted adult

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
My fiance has a beautiful old slide rule that his grandfather used in the early 50s. My fiance is also an engineer and the slide rule is very special to him. We think it's a shame that it's currently sitting in its case in a drawer. What's an attractive way to display the slide rule as part of the decor? My first idea was hanging it on hooks on the wall, but that seems a bit spartan, even for an engineer's home. Ideas?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Xibanya posted:

My fiance has a beautiful old slide rule that his grandfather used in the early 50s. My fiance is also an engineer and the slide rule is very special to him. We think it's a shame that it's currently sitting in its case in a drawer. What's an attractive way to display the slide rule as part of the decor? My first idea was hanging it on hooks on the wall, but that seems a bit spartan, even for an engineer's home. Ideas?

Do you happen to have any photographs of his grandfather using it? I think a framed piece with the slide rule, a picture, and maybe a sheet of his grandfather's handwritten notes on something engineering related would be really cool. Huge assumption that you would have everything needed though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

bee posted:

Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.