Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

King Burgundy posted:

Why do you do this?

I (and most of mafia pre-votefinder) did doublevoters by having them just revote their new player without unvoting, since we as a community all unvoted before revoting with our single votes (it just wasn't done).

With votefinder people vote willy-nilly, but doublevoters don't get their second vote recorded by the bot itself, so they can only use their power if the mod intercedes (like if the vote must be PM'd to the mod, which is super clunky for everyone involved, especially if the votecount is constantly changing because it's near the end of the game day). If we want the player to be able to use their vote freely and immediately without what is essentially mod bureaucracy tying their hands, then they need to mask their power by constantly unvoting before revoting (since if they just voted like everyone else on day 1 they'd wind up revealing their second vote almost immediately). But if they are the only players in a game that do this, then that's essentially the same as roleclaiming that they have a double vote.

And so in my games I mandate unvotes before revotes.

I also think there's a responsibility issue, where if someone doesn't unvote before revoting it implies their vote is made whimsically, maybe even recklessly, without care for who they may currently be voting for, or where their vote ultimately lies. But the main reason is the doublevoting thing, especially since I love playing around with how votes work and votefinder allows no leeway for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I get around that by not using doublevoters.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think it's silly to completely dismiss an entire category of role just because a robot says it's inconvenient.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

I (and most of mafia pre-votefinder) did doublevoters by having them just revote their new player without unvoting, since we as a community all unvoted before revoting with our single votes (it just wasn't done).

With votefinder people vote willy-nilly, but doublevoters don't get their second vote recorded by the bot itself, so they can only use their power if the mod intercedes (like if the vote must be PM'd to the mod, which is super clunky for everyone involved, especially if the votecount is constantly changing because it's near the end of the game day). If we want the player to be able to use their vote freely and immediately without what is essentially mod bureaucracy tying their hands, then they need to mask their power by constantly unvoting before revoting (since if they just voted like everyone else on day 1 they'd wind up revealing their second vote almost immediately). But if they are the only players in a game that do this, then that's essentially the same as roleclaiming that they have a double vote.

And so in my games I mandate unvotes before revotes.

I also think there's a responsibility issue, where if someone doesn't unvote before revoting it implies their vote is made whimsically, maybe even recklessly, without care for who they may currently be voting for, or where their vote ultimately lies. But the main reason is the doublevoting thing, especially since I love playing around with how votes work and votefinder allows no leeway for it.

That's super interesting actually. But doesn't that mean that in your games double voters are revealed immediately to anyone paying attention? Or am I misunderstanding how they work mechanically in your games?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Votefinder having baked-in support for some new functions would be cool (double votes, thunderdomes, vote restrictions, etc.)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Epsilon Plus posted:

Votefinder having baked-in support for some new functions would be cool (double votes, thunderdomes, vote restrictions, etc.)

And yes, agreed with all of this regardless.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

ljtrigirl posted:

Dude. I did a workout muscle thing like 2 days ago and still hurt.

Working out sucks.

I'm inbetween seasons for a lot of my sports, and I need something to stay in shape.

One of the things that stinks, though, is that sports tend to mean your body develops a little unevenly, it is kind of hard to work into a routine when one side is STRONG AND HEWN FROM SOLID OAK and one side is basically a bunch of spaghetti flailing around wildly.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

King Burgundy posted:

That's super interesting actually. But doesn't that mean that in your games double voters are revealed immediately to anyone paying attention? Or am I misunderstanding how they work mechanically in your games?

The way I typically do doublevoters, yeah, anyone paying attention can discover who it is once they use their power. But that's why everyone unvotes - it makes it not weird that the doublevoter is constantly unvoting.

I sometimes use anonymous doublevoters but personally I don't see much of the purpose; scum anonymous doublevoters are very powerful, and town anonymous doublevoters are like... what are they hiding? They can pretend they're vanilla until they have to awkwardly claim the vote? idk.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EccoRaven posted:

I think it's silly to completely dismiss an entire category of role just because a robot says it's inconvenient.

I think it's inconvenient. As you said, I can be there to be very inconvenienced by it or I can be a little inconvenient to the players.

...or I can find something else to do.

I don't use lots of different types of roles because I think they're unfun garbage. But it'd be fine if there was built in support for vote manipulating roles.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
It would be pretty trivial to require votefinder to ignore votes without unvotes -- it's just removing code. But really tracking doublevoters is annoying and has edge cases that are tricky to get right. It also means you have to ##unvote <name> instead of a plain unvote; otherwise it's ambiguous. You would probably have to rewrite a good-sized chunk of the vote tracking stuff, because currently it uses a map of player -> vote, and that breaks if a player has multiple votes.

The main reason I never did it is probably just that I think doublevoting is a bad role and against the spirit of mafia, but who cares what I think. Someone should do it if it's a feature the community wants. But just because MMM is running the site doesn't mean others can't contribute code. And others could have contributed when I was running it too, but they didn't, so I don't have high hopes.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

soru posted:

And others could have contributed when I was running it too, but they didn't, so I don't have high hopes.

Yeah me neither but I figure this is a new day let's see what dawns!!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I SEE

RISING IN THE SKY

A GIANT BUTT

SPREADING ITS FARTY CHEEKS ACROSS THE HORIZON

BUTTS AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
As an aside some of my favorite games I've modded were my Marxism games, where (among other things) everyone had three votes to dole out as they pleased. I think it was very liberating for the players but it was frustrating to hand-count all of them, so if I had robot support I'd love to expand the idea to future games.

I believe in liberation mafiology.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

Mafia thread I started working out again.

Mafia thread I really dislike working out because I am very lazy.

Working out is the bomb diggity

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Working out is the bomb diggity

I would much rather eat a lot of food, and magically my body is super fit and capable.

This would be my preferred option. It is a failure of science that this is not on the table.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Jesus didn't eat much, he was literally made of bread andbhis blood was like 20 proof and every statue I've seen of him, he's ripped.

I think religion is the way to go for physical well-being IMO.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CCKeane posted:

I would much rather eat a lot of food, and magically my body is super fit and capable.

This would be my preferred option. It is a failure of science that this is not on the table.

But then there's no achievement or sense of personal growth!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

But then there's no achievement or sense of personal growth!

Um steam has those now SMH

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
mmm is going to be controlling all the votes... just like

...the patriots

oh my god...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Happy Labor Day mafia thread, tonight I won a game of Dominion and I'm on a weird benadryl buzz

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

Happy Labor Day mafia thread, tonight I won a game of Dominion and I'm on a weird benadryl buzz

Happy labor day Pecota. I am having trouble sleeping. This is my exciting labor day story.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ecco are you still awake? I am still awake.

I think I will be awake...forever!!!

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
We don't have a day to celebrate labour... Because labour is still owned by the bourgeoisie and until that day, I will never celebrate doing anything.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

busb posted:

We don't have a day to celebrate labour... Because labour is still owned by the bourgeoisie and until that day, I will never celebrate doing anything.

On one hand, my well being is directly related to my ability to serve the interests of people with money, who do not place any value on the inherent worth of any human life, on the other hand I get a day off so pretty even deal imo.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Adus posted:

mmm is going to be controlling all the votes... just like

...the patriots

oh my god...

MMM is part of the la li lu le lo?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Mar 27, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I went to A Walk in the Woods with a friend last night.

Neither of us enjoyed it, but the audience seemed to think it was hilarious.

It is a very elderly movie.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

QuoProQuid posted:

My dad loved it. I don't think he's ever disliked a movie he went to see. I wish I could enjoy things like my dad.

I didn't see this one, though. It looked pretty bad in the commercials.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

QuoProQuid posted:

My mom and sister both raved about the book. What did you dislike about the movie?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BottleKnight posted:

My dad loved it. I don't think he's ever disliked a movie he went to see. I wish I could enjoy things like my dad.

I didn't see this one, though. It looked pretty bad in the commercials.

Look Under The Rock posted:

My mom and sister both raved about the book. What did you dislike about the movie?

There's a certain genre of movies that's become increasingly common over the last decade, probably spurred by changing demographics, that I call "Bucket List Movies." These movies focus on a once-successful protagonist, now constantly under assault because of his age. He has well-meaning, but oblivious children and grandchildren, too focused on modern technology to really appreciate life, and a wife who nags him about his physical frailty. At some point, he is reminded of his idealized youth, where he was cool and rebellious, and is inspired to do "one last great adventure." Cue his family saying, "That's crazy, Dad" and the protagonist shouting, "It's just something that I have to do!" Enter the gimmick companion who has very little in common with the protagonist beyond a fear of his mortality but offers hidden wisdom. Roll the laugh track as the two struggle on a seemingly impossible task, only for a young person to walk by and do it effortlessly. You could insert a trombone going "womp-womp" at every joke, because the humor is usually restricted to slapstick and sit-com style "crazy characters."

A Walk in the Woods is not the worst movie in the genre. It never gets preachy like Clint Eastwood's Trouble with the Curve or mind-numbingly sentimental like The Bucket List, but it is blunt and pedestrian. Bryson is portrayed as a stubborn and grumpy old man who copes with his sit-com life through jokes and wacky catch-phrases. Early on, Bryson attends a funeral and tells the grieving widow that it's his pleasure to be there ("womp-womp") before joking about how much he wants to leave. Later on, Bryson and his son look at camping equipment. Before meeting with the rugged shop-owner (played by Nick Offerman), the son tells Bryson, "Now, don't make any jokes and whatever you do, don't say 'you gotta be making GBS threads me' when he tells you the price." Offerman shows him some equipment, tells him the price, and Bryson says, "You gotta be making GBS threads me" while his son rolls his eyes ("womp-womp"). Bryson's gimmick companion is just what you might expect. He's a loud-mouthed, reformed alcoholic whose physical condition is completely unfit for the long hike ahead. He has seizures if he doesn't eat every hour. The first twenty minutes of the hike includes the companion eating too many pancakes and barely being able to walk along the trail. "How many miles do you think that was," the companion asks. "Oh, about a quarter of a mile," says Bryson ("womp-womp").

Unfortunately, the characters don't progress much from there. There are a few startling revelations, promises of a new relationship, but neither grows or develops as a person. Bryson never abandons his vaguely insulting attitude, nor is he left any more appreciative of his life. There is no self-discovery. Like Trouble with the Curve, the point of this movie is not to show individuals growing but to show that the characters aren't too old to do something meaningful. I wouldn't have a problem with this message if it weren't for the extremely abrupt ending where the characters realize they can't finish the trail, making the whole struggle moot. There's actually a scene where Bryson screams that he isn't going to give up. He gives up ten minutes later.

Even worse is that the movie never focuses on its own setting. Besides Bryson listing off facts like a robot, the movie rarely gives the audience an opportunity to appreciate the Appalachian Trail. Instead of focusing on the majesty of the titular woods, the movie focuses on the sit-com characters that Bryson runs into. Kristen Schaal from the Daily Show plays an obnoxious, know-it-all who screams Daft Punk songs at the top of her lungs while other people are trying to sleep. Bryson later hitchhikes with a redneck and her boyfriend, who have oral sex while driving. "Oh, what I wouldn't give to be twenty again" ("womp-womp"). I really would love to watch a movie that shows the trail and the various sights on it. To my frustration, however, the movie is really bored by nature.

A Walk in the Woods is not a terrible movie, but it is a bad one. It really never tries to do anything interesting and is content wallowing in the lowest types of humor. I just felt myself getting bored thirty minutes into the film and left feeling vaguely agitated that I didn't see The Man from U.N.C.L.E. instead.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 7, 2015

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

CCKeane posted:

Just have a baby! It slowly increases in size just like a good weight regimen should. My puny arms have like doubled in size from carrying around a baby for hours a day, and I'm pretty sure my shoulders have broadened under the crushing weight of responsibility.

Plus if you breastfeed you can apparently eat like anything you want and still lose weight because it's like you're excreting pure calories all day every day.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

kaschei posted:

Just have a baby! It slowly increases in size just like a good weight regimen should. My puny arms have like doubled in size from carrying around a baby for hours a day, and I'm pretty sure my shoulders have broadened under the crushing weight of responsibility.

Plus if you breastfeed you can apparently eat like anything you want and still lose weight because it's like you're excreting pure calories all day every day.

I don't think the baby would increase in size much if I tried breast feeding.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My girlfriend and I have watched 2 episodes of Steven Universe and it's already amazing~

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I moved my stuff into my new flat but it hasn't been cleaned, there is no hot water or electricity and I had to pay £40 to pick up the keys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dugong posted:

I moved my stuff into my new flat but it hasn't been cleaned, there is no hot water or electricity and I had to pay £40 to pick up the keys.

Congrats, welcome to renting in the UK :v:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Quidnose posted:

My girlfriend and I have watched 2 episodes of Steven Universe and it's already amazing~

yeah it's pretty good! be sure to watch it with the correct viewing order; the latter half of season 1 (also known as 1-B) is significantly different from the aired order.

http://steven-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Episode_Guide

(though as a personal recommendation I like Episode 48 - "Story for Steven" - right after "Political Power"/before "The Return".)

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The agency is making my previous landlord in Liverpool look like a dream (apart from not fixing anything ever and ignoring my texts about my deposit).

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Someday I will move to a new place.

Maybe I will even get a closet. *sighs heavily*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip