Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Benne posted:

:siren: Terrance West traded to Titans, David Cobb placed on IR/designated to return

What does this do for Crowell? Is he still in RB3 territory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

BigFactory posted:

What does this do for Crowell? Is he still in RB3 territory?

It's possible, though it's likely the Brown are considering bringing in somebody else.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Should I drop Ty Montgomery for James Jones with his signing, or stand pat?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Gandalf21 posted:

Stand pat probably. Jones was never very good, and he hasn't gotten better.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Counterpoint, he had like 70/700/6 last year with the Oakland goddamn Raiders and the last time he was on the Packers, he was a solid 60/700 #3/4 receiver every year. In 2012, when Jordy was hurt for 1/3 of the year and he got primarily used as a #2/3, he led the league in TDs with 14. I'm not saying he's going to give more than low-end WR3 numbers, but I would definitely roster him over Montgomery/Janis until proven otherwise.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
gently caress, Jonas Gray got cut. My week one RB situation is hosed.

Should I hang on to him to see if he signs with someone else? Right now there are really no good free agents RBs in my league. I'm looking at David Johnson or Roy Helu...

Edit: Is James White worth a closer look during Blount's suspension?

Gandalf21 posted:

I made the switch quickly as soon as I heard the news, but I'm wishing I would have thought it over a bit more, but he was pretty good in GB. Regardless, they were just going to occupy a bench spot anyway for me.

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 7, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

gently caress, Jonas Gray got cut. My week one RB situation is hosed.

Should I hang on to him to see if he signs with someone else? Right now there are really no good free agents RBs in my league. I'm looking at David Johnson or Roy Helu...

I made the switch quickly as soon as I heard the news, but I'm wishing I would have thought it over a bit more. Regardless, they were just going to occupy a bench spot anyway for me.
I would rather have David Johnson who will get plenty of work when Ellington goes down with his inevitable injury.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

cheese posted:

I would rather have David Johnson who will get plenty of work when Ellington goes down with his inevitable injury.

Yeah, it's just that I have Bell and Spiller, so I should be set for most of the season. Just not the first 2 weeks (or so depending on when Spiller is healthy)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Yeah, it's just that I have Bell and Spiller, so I should be set for most of the season. Just not the first 2 weeks (or so depending on when Spiller is healthy)
If you are counting on Spiller as your RB2 then you are not set my friend :ohdear:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I took a late round flyer on Dion Lewis in NE. Not too happy about it because I hate Belichicanery but whatever.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
One of my leagues drafted the first week of August and has barred free agency until tonight. Of course there's now an overwhelming number of options available on waivers.

How much of your FAAB would you spend on these jokers? Budget is $1000
Zach Zenner
Christine Michael
Matt Jones
Brandon Coleman
Devin Funchess
Ty Montgomery
Dion Lewis

I have two roster spots available and I'm having a bit of trouble prioritizing.

RBs: Forte, L. Murray, CJ Spiller, D. McFadden
WRs: Julio, Cooks, C. Johnson, E. Royal, J. Brown

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Zypher posted:

One of my leagues drafted the first week of August and has barred free agency until tonight. Of course there's now an overwhelming number of options available on waivers.

How much of your FAAB would you spend on these jokers? Budget is $1000
Zach Zenner
Christine Michael
Matt Jones
Brandon Coleman
Devin Funchess
Ty Montgomery
Dion Lewis

I have two roster spots available and I'm having a bit of trouble prioritizing.

RBs: Forte, L. Murray, CJ Spiller, D. McFadden
WRs: Julio, Cooks, C. Johnson, E. Royal, J. Brown

Matt Jones is very likely to at least get passing down work, with a chance for more. Neither Zenner nor Michael is likely to be startable this year. Dion Lewis shouldn't even be in consideration, haha. For the WRs, I would definitely take either Coleman or Funchess ahead of Montgomery. Funchess is a great bet for tons of targets, while Coleman is much less sure but might soak up a lot of the red zone targets Graham left behind (unless you really think Benjamin Watson is going to be the primary rz target). I'd probably go for Funchess, as I'm just not confident Coleman will get enough volume to be more than bye week filler once Cooks, Colston, and Spiller get their share.

You need some help at both RB and WR, so I'd bid on Jones and Funchess. No idea how much is reasonable, though. No one drafted them, so they shouldn't need too big a bid to be yours, yeah? Whether that means $1 or $10 or $30 or what, I have no idea.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Forever_Peace posted:

Motherfucker. They just took him OFF pup like a few days ago. Lol.

You had me going because you made the observation that he was not placed on PUP last week. I should have asked "what is the deadline for NE to do that?"

I'm not going to pretend I'm some genius savant because unless someone works in their training room, we never truly know, but I am sure glad I dropped LaFell last week. It just didn't sit right with me that I saw zero out of him in the preseason and that we were dealing with a foot injury with zero actionable updates.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Because news is slow at the moment and I've been thinking way too much about football, here are 15 way-too-bold predictions for 2015.

1. Stevie Johnson breaks 65/850/7 this year and has a chance at a thousand-yard season.
2. The top 4 ppr rookies this year end up being Cooper, Perriman, Agholor, and Abdullah, in that order.
3. Scott Chandler has at least 2 weeks as a top-10 TE (my money is on NYJ).
4. Chris Ivory has per-game performances that put him squarely into the top 20 among RBs in standard, maybe the top 15.
5. Zach Zenner starts at least one game.
6. CJ Fiedorowicz will score an athletic touchdown and somebody in this thread will go "what is a CJ Fiedorowicz?"
7. Wheaton has more yards and catches in the first 8 games than Martavis.
8. Buck Allen and Zo each post 80 yard games at some point this year.
9. TWest starts the season as the browns RB1 and has at least one 100-yard game.
10. Julio Jones is the WR1 this year. OBJ doesn't finish in the top 5.
11. Fitzgerald has a better season than Allen Robinson
12. Kendall Wright finishes top-30 in ppr.
13. Ahmad Bradshaw scores a touchdown this year. I have no idea with what team.
14. Ryan Mathews finishes the year as the most valuable handcuff.
15. Spiller finishes top 15 among RBs in ppr.

Off to a rip roarin' start this year.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Finished our draft and somehow ate 6 pieces of a 6 foot Italian sub. This is the best day of the year.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

LmaoTheKid posted:

Finished our draft and somehow ate 6 pieces of a 6 foot Italian sub. This is the best day of the year.

you ate 36 feet of sandwich jesus christ

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

you ate 36 feet of sandwich jesus christ

:lol: I'm so bloated I can't form thoughts right now.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

LmaoTheKid posted:

Over two drafts I had an entire medium pizza hut pie.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

ZIGfried posted:

Oof Foster in the sixth? That's a missed opportunity right there.

This was me a month ago, and now today I drafted Foster with the first pick in the fourth in my 12 man keeper league.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
HalfPPR, 12 teams, 2xRB, 2xWR, 1xRB/WR flex. Standard everything else.

Right now my bench is:
WR: Brandon Marshall, Anquan Boldin, Stevie Johnson, Devin Funchess.
RB: Arian Foster, Devonta Freeman, and Bishop Sankey.

I need to drop one of these guys to grab a kicker for Week 1. With preseason games and cuts done, I feel like no new information will be coming about any of these players and their situations until kickoff. WR Devante Adams is my flex right now, so just looking at my team in a vacuum I'd say WR is less of a need than RB. And I'm definitely keeping Arian Foster and Brandon Marshall.

So who the hell do I throw out on the waiver wire? I need to see Sankey and Freeman do nothing in Week 1 before I drop either/both of them, and I actually think Anquan Boldin will be a viable player all season long in a half/ppr format.

tl;dr So, the question is this: Who is the less attractive lottery ticket: Stevie Johnson or Devin Funchess? Ugh. Fretting over RB4/5 and WR6, football is coming!

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

RVProfootballer posted:

You need some help at both RB and WR, so I'd bid on Jones and Funchess. No idea how much is reasonable, though. No one drafted them, so they shouldn't need too big a bid to be yours, yeah? Whether that means $1 or $10 or $30 or what, I have no idea.

No one drafted them because the draft was a couple weeks ago before Kelvin was injured or other roster moves. Funchess in particular will probably have a bid submitted by every owner in the league. A couple might bid on Jones. So it's a little tough to balance competitive bids vs bidding on backup options if someone (very likely) overpays.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

so james jones is available in my ppr league. is it worth dropping stevie Johnson, kendall wright, danny woodhead or isiah crowell for him?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

nrr posted:

so james jones is available in my ppr league. is it worth dropping stevie Johnson, kendall wright, danny woodhead or isiah crowell for him?

I'd probably drop Woodhead, but I'm not 100% sure.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

nrr posted:

Nope those are all better players than him.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Don't drop Stevie Johnson

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Is Minnesota's defence being underrated for a week 1 play? They play a very depleted 49ers squad, who lost their coaching staff from last year as well as many key defensive and offensive players, and their mistake-prone QB has failed to improve much since he took over the starting job. The Vikings have AP back, drafted some stud defensive players, and have an improving secondary.

I can easily see Kaepernick throwing more INTs than TDs against the Vikings. I'd play the Vikings D over Indy week 1, which is a DST that has gotten a lot of hype recently, despite not being a very good real life football defence.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Sep 7, 2015

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

Vikings will be a top 15 D. CB play will be shaky but their line is beastly. Lots of sacks and they will play some tough rear end run D this year.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ZIGfried posted:

Vikings will be a top 15 D. CB play will be shaky but their line is beastly. Lots of sacks and they will play some tough rear end run D this year.

top 15 D lol.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm pretty sure they were a top-15 D the second half of the season. They have a complete starting LB corp for the first time in, probably ever? They have playmakers at every level, and an offense that could potentially keep them off the field for decent stretches. I also wouldn't bet against Zimmer, he inherited a few pretty shoddy defenses in his time and turned them around on a similar trajectory as the Vikings.

I would absolutely consider them a better play and IND. Streaming against a bad offense is always a viable strategy, but a bad defense will always be a bad defense. Streaming a bad D against a bad offense is just as likely to throw a dud. Everyone scores points eventually. Don't stream bad defenses.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 7, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I would absolutely consider them a better play and IND. Streaming against a bad offense is always a viable strategy, but a bad defense will always be a bad defense. Streaming a bad D against a bad offense is just as likely to throw a dud. Everyone scores points eventually. Don't stream bad defenses.

Vikings over Indy the first week is fine, but Indy is a much better multi-week play to start the year. And I don't know why everyone thinks bad real life defenses can't score well in fantasy. According to fftoday using ESPN scoring, last year the Colts put up 16 and 8 against Jax, 9 and 6 against Tennessee, and 14 against Washington, which were their only obvious streaming weeks. On average last year, Jax gave up 9.7, Tennessee gave up 7.6, and Washington gave up 9.8, so even a bad Indy defense can take advantage of awful offenses as well as the rest of the league. Dallas is an awful real life defense, yet were 8th best overall last year in DST scoring. Philly gives up a million yards and points, but they destroyed as a DST last year. Falcons had monster games against TB (25 and 10) and a passable game against Cleveland (7), which again were the only games you'd consider streaming them for. The Bears put up 13 against TB and 15 against NYJ. On the flip side, the Seahawks, Chiefs, and Jets all have great real life defenses, and finished 22nd, 25th, and 30th in DST scoring. If you think bad defenses are not viable to stream against bad offenses, you're just wrong :shrug:

Obviously a good defense against a bad offense is best, but 10/10 times you should take a bad defense against a bad offense rather than a good defense against a good offense. Never play a DST against GB or Denver or NE. You should easily prefer Tampa Bay against Tennessee than Buffalo against New England in week 1.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

What I'm seeing from that is that aside from one decent week, the Colts either barely beat, or failed to beat, the average score against a bad offense.

e: Philly was a great D/ST last year because of (a probably unsustainable amount of) turnovers and excellent special teams, and I'm pretty sure they weren't all that great come playoff time but I could be remembering that wrong.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 7, 2015

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Need to pick up a kicker. Drop Decker or Quick? 0.5 PPR

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Bellmaker posted:

Need to pick up a kicker. Drop Decker or Quick? 0.5 PPR

Neither. But if you have to, drop Quick.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

CompeAnansi posted:

Neither. But if you have to, drop Quick.

Is there someone else? Team's pretty full, think Quick has to go alas

QB: Stafford
RB: J.Hill/L.Miller/C.Ivory/A.Abdullah/M.Gordon
WR: A.Brown/J.Matthews/G.Tate/M.Bryant/Quick/Decker
TE: J. Cameron
D:Panthers

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nope. Quick is the drop IMO.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

What I'm seeing from that is that aside from one decent week, the Colts either barely beat, or failed to beat, the average score against a bad offense.

e: Philly was a great D/ST last year because of (a probably unsustainable amount of) turnovers and excellent special teams, and I'm pretty sure they weren't all that great come playoff time but I could be remembering that wrong.

If that's what you took away from it, then I don't think I can say anything to convince you, haha. You said a bad defense will always be a bad defense, so you shouldn't stream bad defenses. I pointed out that consensus bad defenses did well against bad offenses, and that consensus good defenses did poorly as DSTs. Seattle averaged 6.2 points per week, or roughly 3.5 points less per week than if you streamed literally any DST that played Was, Jax, or St. Louis last year (they each gave up ~9.7 per week).

Against Washington, what teams scored double digit points against? Giants (bad D), Cardinals (good D), TB (bad D), Colts (bad D), Rams (mediocre D), and Cowboys (bad D). Seahawks scored 1 point :toot: Everyone beat up on Jax, so it isn't as clear as against Was, but Eagles, Redskins, Colts, Steelers, Titans, Dolphins, Cowboys, and Ravens put up double digits; you don't have to be a good defense to score a ton against a good offense. And to be fair and for completeness, St. Louis actually were not consistently awful (i.e., good to stream against), but they gave up big games: Vikings, Cowboys, Eagles, Niners, Chiefs, Cardinals, Chargers, and Seahawks all had double digits against them, and five of those were 15 or more points. However, the Seahawks also put up a donut against them, and Cardinals only took 6 points off them later in the year. St. Louis also didn't get to play against nearly as many bad defenses as the other two also, fwiw.

You're right about Philly. I don't expect them to repeat this year, but they were a bad NFL defense that was the best fantasy defense. That's the only reason I mentioned them.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 7, 2015

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think re: Seattle, the thing to glean there is that you should never waste a pick outside of the last two rounds on a defense. As far as Washington goes, they were a special kind of bad last year, and even then, divisional games throw all convention out of the window, so I'm going to say that the Giants may be an outlier. As far as the Colts and Cowboys go, the game scripts could've predicted those. You know that Luck/Romo would have them up early forcing one of the most disfucntional passing offenses and questionable O-Lines to have to air it out for 45 minutes. I don't think correlation equals causation there, either.

If you look at what made Philly a good defense last year: an offense that can sustain drives, an NFL-high 36 turnovers, and a great return game.

If you look at the Vikings this year, with their (better than Philly) pass rush, revamped 2nd level, and Patterson/Sherels/Diggs return game; they actually share a lot of characteristics with last-year's Philly team, with the added benefit of actually being good at stopping other teams (14th in Y/G, compared to 28th for PHI; 7th in passing defense; 5th in sacks; 4th in INT) they could very easily be this year's surprise #1 fantasy D save for maybe three games: vs. GB, on the road in CHI (though I remain unconvinced about CHI's prospects against this new MIN D), and on the road vs. DET. They also get ARI on a Thursday game (Palmer is going to get sacked 4+ times) and the Bears at home for the first two weeks of the playoffs (could be a non-start again the Giants in championship week, but they could give up 28 points and still come out on top if Eli is funsligning and they can grab a few INT).

If they play up to potential, DEN week 4 and GB week 11 are the only absolute benchable games. You can make an argument for KC in week 6 if their run D isn't strong again, but I don't see Smith having too much success against them and the Vikings will be coming off of a bye. Same goes for @ ATL on week 12, but looking at ATL's schedule, that might be the toughest defense they face all season.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 7, 2015

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
james jones is going to be the week 1 wr3 for green bay, almost guaranteed. he's not going to put up big numbers (see image), but is a solid wr2 / wr3 option if you need one.

if you have montgomery i would stash him but see if you can drop someone to pick up jones.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I should probably start Sam Bradford over Cam Newton at least the first week or two right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I drafted Antonio Gates and need a TE for the first four weeks. Should Gates be the drop or what are people thinking he'll do when he's back.

• Locked thread