Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Ooo, subs. That things is going to be tiny, I suspect. I just built this 1/350 U-boot for a break, and was not expecting it to be so... dainty.

I only grabbed it on a whim as I needed some rigging elastic (which I got to test out on it). I thought a 40-odd man boat would still have some heft in 1/350, but drat. Those things must have been a barrel of laughs when away for a month at sea. (I may have had das boot on while slapping this together)

Please excuse the horrible hand-writing on the base, I managed to destroy the decals that are meant to go there. I'll get back to it one day..

For interests' sake, have it on the back of the tirpitz.

If that doesn't make you think of the Hunt for Red October, then sorry. You need to re-watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I did some models a long time ago with my father and was maybe thinking about getting a kit. What would be a recommended newbie plane model?

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015

Le0 posted:

I did some models a long time ago with my father and was maybe thinking about getting a kit. What would be a recommended newbie plane model?

Somethingsomething Tamiya somethingsomething

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

wtfbacon posted:

Somethingsomething Tamiya somethingsomething

Yeah, I haven't tried their planes but I am yet to be disappointed by a Tamiya kit. I also think they do pretty good instructions, which is important if you are a beginner.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I've been meaning to do this for ages and it might be helpful for a couple of people; this is my list of actually good Airfix 1/72nd aircraft kits. They're relatively cheap (small fighters are about :10bux:) and these should have pretty good fit and detailing, especially for the price. I've only built about half a dozen of these but I've checked out reviews for the rest and they're all new tool and shouldn't have the shiteness associated with older Airfix kits.

code:

Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 1:72   A02069
North American P-51D Mustang 1:72  A01004
Vickers Valiant BK.Mk.1 1:72 A11001
Avro Lancaster BI(F.E.)/BIII 1:72 A08013
Avro Lancaster BII 1:72 A08001
Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambusters 1:72 A09007
Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72 A01010
De Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth 1:72 A01025
Bristol Blenheim MkIV Fighter 1:72 A04017
Bristol Blenheim MkI Bomber 1:72A04016
English Electric Lightning F6 1:72 A05042
English Electric Lightning F.2A 1:72 A04054
Douglas Dakota C-47 Skytrain 1:72 A08014
Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72 A02067
Folland Gnat T.1 1:72 A01006
Supermarine Spitfire MkIa 1:72 A01071A
Supermarine Spitfire MkI/MkIIa 1:72 A02010
Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX 1:72 A02017
Hawker Typhoon Ib 1:72 A02041
North American F-51D Mustang 1:72 A02047
De Havilland Vampire T.11 1:72 A02058
Gloster Gladiator MkI 1:72 A02052
Gloster Gladiator J-8A/Gladiator Mk.II 1:72 A02063
Focke Wulf Fw190 F-8/A-8 1:72 A02066
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR1 1:72 A03003
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 1:72 A04055
Messerschmitt Bf110C-2/C-4 1:72 A03080
Fairey Swordfish Mk.1 1:72 A04053
Fairey Swordfish Mk.I Floatplane 1:72 A05006
Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 1:72 A01003
Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 1:72 A01005
Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72 A01008
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-7/Trop 1:72 A02062
Focke Wulf Fw190A-8 1:72 A01020
Douglas A-4B/4P Skyhawk 1:72 A03029
Messerschmitt BF110E/E-2 Trop 1:72 A03081
Supermarine Swift F.R. Mk5 1:72 A04003
Dornier Do17z 1:72 A05010

I'll get round to doing 1/48th later.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Le0 posted:

What kind of plane (military or civilian? Prop? Jet?) Do you have a scale in mind?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Unkempt posted:

I've been meaning to do this for ages and it might be helpful for a couple of people; this is my list of actually good Airfix 1/72nd aircraft kits. They're relatively cheap (small fighters are about :10bux:) and these should have pretty good fit and detailing, especially for the price. I've only built about half a dozen of these but I've checked out reviews for the rest and they're all new tool and shouldn't have the shiteness associated with older Airfix kits.

code:

Boulton Paul Defiant Mk.1 1:72   A02069
North American P-51D Mustang 1:72  A01004
Vickers Valiant BK.Mk.1 1:72 A11001
Avro Lancaster BI(F.E.)/BIII 1:72 A08013
Avro Lancaster BII 1:72 A08001
Avro Lancaster B.III (Special) The Dambusters 1:72 A09007
Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72 A01010
De Havilland DH.82a Tiger Moth 1:72 A01025
Bristol Blenheim MkIV Fighter 1:72 A04017
Bristol Blenheim MkI Bomber 1:72A04016
English Electric Lightning F6 1:72 A05042
English Electric Lightning F.2A 1:72 A04054
Douglas Dakota C-47 Skytrain 1:72 A08014
Hawker Hurricane MkI 1:72 A02067
Folland Gnat T.1 1:72 A01006
Supermarine Spitfire MkIa 1:72 A01071A
Supermarine Spitfire MkI/MkIIa 1:72 A02010
Supermarine Spitfire PRXIX 1:72 A02017
Hawker Typhoon Ib 1:72 A02041
North American F-51D Mustang 1:72 A02047
De Havilland Vampire T.11 1:72 A02058
Gloster Gladiator MkI 1:72 A02052
Gloster Gladiator J-8A/Gladiator Mk.II 1:72 A02063
Focke Wulf Fw190 F-8/A-8 1:72 A02066
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR1 1:72 A03003
Hawker Siddeley Harrier GR3 1:72 A04055
Messerschmitt Bf110C-2/C-4 1:72 A03080
Fairey Swordfish Mk.1 1:72 A04053
Fairey Swordfish Mk.I Floatplane 1:72 A05006
Curtiss Hawk 81-A-2 1:72 A01003
Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero 1:72 A01005
Messerschmitt Bf109E-4 1:72 A01008
Messerschmitt Bf 109E-7/Trop 1:72 A02062
Focke Wulf Fw190A-8 1:72 A01020
Douglas A-4B/4P Skyhawk 1:72 A03029
Messerschmitt BF110E/E-2 Trop 1:72 A03081
Supermarine Swift F.R. Mk5 1:72 A04003
Dornier Do17z 1:72 A05010

I'll get round to doing 1/48th later.

I have the F-86 (The new one with John Glenn's MiG Mad Marine) and the MiG-15 kits and they're pretty decent except for some weird design decisions and probably some missing/wrong details. But for the price, I'd say they're "Good enough".

I really need to finish putting the decals on them...

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sanguine posted:

Ooo, subs. That things is going to be tiny, I suspect. I just built this 1/350 U-boot for a break, and was not expecting it to be so... dainty.

I only grabbed it on a whim as I needed some rigging elastic (which I got to test out on it). I thought a 40-odd man boat would still have some heft in 1/350, but drat. Those things must have been a barrel of laughs when away for a month at sea. (I may have had das boot on while slapping this together)

Please excuse the horrible hand-writing on the base, I managed to destroy the decals that are meant to go there. I'll get back to it one day..

For interests' sake, have it on the back of the tirpitz.

If that doesn't make you think of the Hunt for Red October, then sorry. You need to re-watch it.

I made that kit a year ago. I like the rust highlights you did! How do you does such thing

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Jonny Nox posted:

What kind of plane (military or civilian? Prop? Jet?) Do you have a scale in mind?

I like ww2 stuff mainly. Not sure about the scale actually, what would be good for a beginner?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
1:72 is great. It's cheap but detailed enough to be satisfying. I really like the Gladiator kits, because they're a weird late biplane, but also because they come with Irish Air Corps decals.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

How's the Italeri SH-60B Seahawk? My dad flew one so I kind of want it to be my first model.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Le0 posted:

I like ww2 stuff mainly. Not sure about the scale actually, what would be good for a beginner?

Tamiya spitfire 1:48 / 61033

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Maybe not better for a beginner, but in terms of detail/parts bang for your buck the new Airfix 1/48 spitfires absolutely poo poo all over the Tamiya equivalents. Also their 1/48 Hawker Hurricane. New Airfix toolings are really good in general actually, it's pretty cool.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Yeah, I made one of the 1/48 airfix spits early this year, I think a mk xii? The first of the Griffon powered ones. It was a great kit to build and quite cheap from memory too.

The rust on the sub was thanks to oils, a mix of red ochre and burnt umber. What I find works is you want a little lump of the paint (like pin head sized) put where the rust starts. Not diluted paint, a small chunk of the pigment. Then use a fine moistened (but not wet) brush to drag the color down. You can control the paint amazingly well - compared to painting with acrylics it's bliss.

If any one hasn't tried oils - go get some. Just cheap stuff from a dollar store is usually ok, and use turps or pet spirits to thin and move the paint around. Streaking is super easy, and mistakes can be easily corrected our removed. I'd recommend using them after a gloss coat to protect the base paint and help them run smoothly. The main ones are burnt umber for grime and mud, and any black for oil stains. A starting kit is a good idea as you can do really nice color modulation effects on big flat panels with a bit of a selection.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

After making the little stug and armoured car, I wanted to try a plane. I chose the 1/72 Airfix Fw.190 kit that can be the A8 or F8 version, and went with the A8.

The kit went together pretty well, but there's some gaps around the nose that I didn't have the materials to fix. Next time I'll be prepared for that. Painting was heaps of fun, and I didn't do an awful job, although my masking of the yellow stripe left ridges in the paint that I couldn't get rid of (the masking process in general was awful, actually). The camouflage wasn't too hard, but it's a simple pattern. I dipped the canopy pieces in clear varnish before working on them, which helped a lot.

Two stupid things happened.

I was about halfway through putting the decals on and left the thing on the bench to dry, and my wife managed to drop a box of cookie cutters on it which snapped off the small protrusion on top of the tail (and lost the piece). I filed down the break and painted over it. The pitot tube also bent, but dind't break. I guess it's a pretty sturdy kit.

That all went fine, and I got the next gloss coats on and had done about 90% of the (poorly done) panel lines and washing when I lost my grip on the model, tried to catch it, and broke the guns off one side. I couldn't get them re-attached but decided to finish building anyway. I think I'll get a small drill and try to make guns out of wire. The tiny decals were a massive pain in the arse but I think I've got a handle on the process now.

Plenty of lessons learned, and I think my next thing will go heaps smoother. I'm thinking of doing a Mustang in the same scale.

e: How do I get the yellow to look good without doing 400 coats? I masked it off and primed white, but it still took forever and was frustrating.

e2: What's a good paint/wash/whatever for panel lines? I used an ancient pot of citadel black wash and it was pretty poo poo.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 7, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife who don't do any sort of modeling or painting grabbed an all-white building of mine and added this gray-purple to it. I was nervous as hand-painting details like this in N scale is a massive pain in the rear end but she did a good job!

It really pops now and the art-deco details actually show.

This is how it used to look

Also I caught her just sitting on the floor of my train room painting away with white paint all over her nose and face.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

My wife who don't do any sort of modeling or painting grabbed an all-white building of mine and added this gray-purple to it. I was nervous as hand-painting details like this in N scale is a massive pain in the rear end but she did a good job!

It really pops now and the art-deco details actually show.

This is how it used to look

Also I caught her just sitting on the floor of my train room painting away with white paint all over her nose and face.

Kudos to her, the building looks a lot nicer now.

My wife just saw a youtube review of my buildings, an she was completely baffled. A mixture of laughing so hard she couldn't breathe, and also being impressed since for her it's always just been that thing I do in the corner of the room, not something that has any sort of worth outside my little nerd corner.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Baronjutter posted:

My wife who don't do any sort of modeling or painting ..

:haw:

That's kinda cute.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lilljonas posted:

Kudos to her, the building looks a lot nicer now.

My wife just saw a youtube review of my buildings, an she was completely baffled. A mixture of laughing so hard she couldn't breathe, and also being impressed since for her it's always just been that thing I do in the corner of the room, not something that has any sort of worth outside my little nerd corner.

Buildings what buildings post buildings!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Buildings what buildings post buildings!

The review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHex6ufKJA
(she really laughed non-stop for the entire review, and probable just as long afterwards)

http://muraminiatures.com/

But I do a lot of buildings that I can't cast in resin as well, mostly 15mm or 28mm scale. I've been busy building Ukrainian ww2 houses for my wargaming club, like this water tower:

based on real old Russian water towers:

But the stuff I most like is to build old Japanese houses, like these:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nice! I like wargame terrain because it's ok to have an obvious base on it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

After making the little stug and armoured car, I wanted to try a plane. I chose the 1/72 Airfix Fw.190 kit that can be the A8 or F8 version, and went with the A8.

The kit went together pretty well, but there's some gaps around the nose that I didn't have the materials to fix. Next time I'll be prepared for that. Painting was heaps of fun, and I didn't do an awful job, although my masking of the yellow stripe left ridges in the paint that I couldn't get rid of (the masking process in general was awful, actually). The camouflage wasn't too hard, but it's a simple pattern. I dipped the canopy pieces in clear varnish before working on them, which helped a lot.

Two stupid things happened.

I was about halfway through putting the decals on and left the thing on the bench to dry, and my wife managed to drop a box of cookie cutters on it which snapped off the small protrusion on top of the tail (and lost the piece). I filed down the break and painted over it. The pitot tube also bent, but dind't break. I guess it's a pretty sturdy kit.

That all went fine, and I got the next gloss coats on and had done about 90% of the (poorly done) panel lines and washing when I lost my grip on the model, tried to catch it, and broke the guns off one side. I couldn't get them re-attached but decided to finish building anyway. I think I'll get a small drill and try to make guns out of wire. The tiny decals were a massive pain in the arse but I think I've got a handle on the process now.

Plenty of lessons learned, and I think my next thing will go heaps smoother. I'm thinking of doing a Mustang in the same scale.

e: How do I get the yellow to look good without doing 400 coats? I masked it off and primed white, but it still took forever and was frustrating.

e2: What's a good paint/wash/whatever for panel lines? I used an ancient pot of citadel black wash and it was pretty poo poo.

The secret to yellow is twofold. Paint white first, and use Vallejo Air colors. This applies to red as well. The Vallejo is still transparent as gently caress, but you only need a few coats, not a few dozen.

Airbrushes are also pretty useful too.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I would personally start with a base of tan brown and layer up the yellow from there. Will take a lot less coats that you think.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

AlphaDog posted:

I really like model master enamel burnt umber.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

Looking really good here, I like it a lot.

I feel like some sort of sponsor or corporate stooge for the amount I recommend this stuff but you should really check out the Flory washes for panel lining. Slap it on and wipe it off it's like magic.

http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jonny Nox posted:

The secret to yellow is twofold. Paint white first, and use Vallejo Air colors. This applies to red as well. The Vallejo is still transparent as gently caress, but you only need a few coats, not a few dozen.

Airbrushes are also pretty useful too.

Glad to hear the Air is better. I have some Game yellow that makes me beg for death.

I also have some original Vallejo yellow that's decently opaque, but has the consistency of toothpaste. It's a different kind of annoying to work with.

Meanwhile, this Tamiya kit feels the same way I do about the Germans' wheel fetish:

I started this kit ages ago right after finishing my Maus, but I couldn't handle any more goddamn wheels. Finally said gently caress it, and decided to attach all the wheels and glue them so they won't rotate so I can just spray the assembled tank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Started assembling my Revell Katyusha and it turns out there are no tires in the kit, and important parts (like axles) are missing. :smith:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Thanks everyone. I might be able to afford an airbrush towards the end of the year. The wife is thinking about getting one for cake/cookie decorating, so I guess we could share a compressor (obviously not the actual brush) which would make things a bit more affordable. It's definitely something I want to play with, but for now I'm stuck with brush painting.

I'll give the different washes a shot, and I've watched a couple of tutorials on different ways to do lines, so hopefully that improves too.

My yellow isn't Vallejo, but I do have a stack of older vallejo model air colors I used for painting D&D minis. They've kinda separated in their bottles though. What's the best way to re-mix them?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

Thanks everyone. I might be able to afford an airbrush towards the end of the year. The wife is thinking about getting one for cake/cookie decorating, so I guess we could share a compressor (obviously not the actual brush) which would make things a bit more affordable. It's definitely something I want to play with, but for now I'm stuck with brush painting.

I'll give the different washes a shot, and I've watched a couple of tutorials on different ways to do lines, so hopefully that improves too.

My yellow isn't Vallejo, but I do have a stack of older vallejo model air colors I used for painting D&D minis. They've kinda separated in their bottles though. What's the best way to re-mix them?

Shake shake shake?

(Maybe pull the nozzle, drop in a stainless steel BB?)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yellow is the loving worst colour. Modern locomotives all have yellow reflective stripes down the sides and airbrushing it took me literally about 30 coats to get it not looking like I rubbed a lovely highlighter down the side. Then I found out they sold nice yellow and white stripe decals.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Glad to hear the Air is better. I have some Game yellow that makes me beg for death.

I also have some original Vallejo yellow that's decently opaque, but has the consistency of toothpaste. It's a different kind of annoying to work with.

Meanwhile, this Tamiya kit feels the same way I do about the Germans' wheel fetish:

I started this kit ages ago right after finishing my Maus, but I couldn't handle any more goddamn wheels. Finally said gently caress it, and decided to attach all the wheels and glue them so they won't rotate so I can just spray the assembled tank.

What the hell is that in the background? The googly eyes on it are hilarious.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks like lotion dispenser? The googly eyes work well with the proboscis. Also I like the sad face on the bottom of the hull.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just taped some dark gray panels behind the windows. Might be good enough, might add more window detail later. But now that the building isn't see-through it feels much more solid.

Also added some very subtle weathering powder to the whole thing, looks much more like a building rather than perfectly painted cardboard.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

∆∆∆that looks great!

Poisonlizard posted:

What the hell is that in the background? The googly eyes on it are hilarious.

It is indeed a soap dispenser. :buddy:

I'm working on this panther while taking a break from a Matilda II that took three cycles of wash->prime->rinse off unadhered primer before a coat would stick. It got to the point where I brought my dish soap to live with my modeling crap.

I actually forgot it was back there. So basically I got photobombed by an inanimate object.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 8, 2015

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
I just made the Airfix 1/76 Panther Tank and mein gott, I think it was Hitler's answer to the Craptank.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I just made the Airfix 1/76 Panther Tank and mein gott, I think it was Hitler's answer to the Craptank.

Is that the one with Afrika Korps decals?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Today while cleaning my parents attic I found this

The 1/32 Tomcat, and the fucker is huge! My dad half finished it so after I finish my Storch I'll do it for him (so he can put the fucker on display in his study, I ran out of space a long time ago).

Today is a good day :)

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I spent the holiday weekend at the San Diego Festival of Sail, and was able to spend time sailing on 4 of the ships and took almost 2000 photo's. As I sort through the photo's I am posting them on Model Ship World forums, so if anyone is interested the thread is here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11351-san-diego-festival-of-sail-2015/

It will be a work in progress, and since these aren't scale models, I won't jam up this thread with them.

This thread was busy while I was gone!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Molentik posted:

Today while cleaning my parents attic I found this

The 1/32 Tomcat, and the fucker is huge! My dad half finished it so after I finish my Storch I'll do it for him (so he can put the fucker on display in his study, I ran out of space a long time ago).

Today is a good day :)

The F14 was my absolute favourite plane growing up. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Ensign Expendable posted:

Is that the one with Afrika Korps decals?

That's the one.