Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Evil Canadian posted:

So Chumbucket is the greatest marksman in the history of gaming right? He can hit a target pixel perfectly while you and it are both going 100 mph in opposite directions.

Chum is a fuckin' wasteland wizard. Oh sure sure thing Saint lemme cobble together a large caliber rifle out of scrap. How's a laser accurate folding barrel grab ya? Praised be!

Also couple things:

1) New game+ please
2) Mod or patched option that repopulates camps and convoys. Or keeps them refilling over time. Just because some kamicrazy drifter fresh off the dunes wandered into town and hosed everyone's action up, doesn't mean the bad dudes are gonna stay gone. This is the Mad Max world, nobody gets a happy ever after.

For a game that aped Ubisoft's camp and radio tower mechanic, I'm surprised the whole "refill wasteland" option is nowhere to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

VulgarandStupid posted:

What do these codes do? How do I redeem one?

It's likely too late to redeem one of those, since they've been disappearing pretty quick after I post them. I'll try to post some more, though.

You can use them to redeem a special hood ornament (at least I think it is) by going to https://www.madmax.rockstarenergy.com and inputting one of these codes. It will ask which platform you are redeeming it for, and I believe you can currently redeem them for Xbox and PS, but I still don't think there's any menu to input the code on PC (although there should be if they're actually fixing the problem). So if you're on PC, just hold onto the code Rockstar gives you if you really want the ornament.

Getting all Torgue up in here...

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Chum seems to be insanely good at harpooning drivers especially. I thought that was something you had to upgrade to later or something but nope, he was yanking War Boys out of their hoopty rides almost immediately after installing the harpoon.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I want an unlockable top hat for Chum :tipshat:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It's likely too late to redeem one of those, since they've been disappearing pretty quick after I post them. I'll try to post some more, though.

You can use them to redeem a special hood ornament (at least I think it is) by going to https://www.madmax.rockstarenergy.com and inputting one of these codes. It will ask which platform you are redeeming it for, and I believe you can currently redeem them for Xbox and PS, but I still don't think there's any menu to input the code on PC (although there should be if they're actually fixing the problem). So if you're on PC, just hold onto the code Rockstar gives you if you really want the ornament.

Thanks man, I used the last one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Beat the game, took me 50 hours ( I wasn't mainlining the plot at all and worked to unlock every part for the car) and the only part that felt like a chore was the minefields with Chum's buggy and the dog. Why can't I take the dog INSTEAD of Chum in the Magnum Opus? Driving that stupid buggy around when I have a golden supercharged V8 hellbeast of a rig is a crime. For those of you that would say 'ignore the minefields' you need to get to zero percent Scrotus influence in some territories to unlock cool things for your car and minefields count toward that percentage.

A few things feel like they weren't developed and changed partway through the development. Mostly the buggy, the dog, fuel as a resource and the other vehicles. And to echo what lots of other people are sating, a New Game+ or endless convoys or *something* because while you can play after you beat the game there isn't much else to do. Unlocking things for your car means clearing out enemies which mean less of them around which to use your car against.

This game was fatastic and I enjoyed it very much, and I didn't expect to.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I really like this game but some things are starting to really piss me off.

1. GIVE ME THE loving V8! I do NOT want bait mission after loving bait mission. "Yeah lets get the V8! But first lets do this. Oh wait, before THAT we need to do this. Now we're so close, right after we do THIS. Oh so you tought that mission you spent 2 hours working up to was the final one? Hahahaha. No. Have a boss fight over 3 rounds for which you get poo poo all first."

2. Random patrols are part of the game but starting to clear out a base and suddenly having some junk heap crashing into you going HONK HONK is infuriating. This is propably a conscious design decision though.

3. Some missions do not work well with the car physics. The car is pretty clunky (more or less realistic compared to some games) but drat, having a race through some derelict tunnels in which you get bombarded, random cars fight you AND you can get stuck in some dumb girder is not a lot of fun.

4. Scrap is too hard to get for the amount of upgrades you can get. Storms are fine, and when you start clearing bases you get a nice amount over time, but the random scrap you find is a joke. "Yeah I cleared this base out, took me 10 minutes, got 30 scraps plus 4 bonus, jackpot!"

5. bases are dumb and convulted, whats wrong with a central hub instead of almost labyrinths.

Other than that, awesome game.

e: another one: Fist fights are great fun and all, but when you get blindsided a bunch of time from guys that you can't even see it can get quite fristrating.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 7, 2015

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Rodney posted:

I really like this game but some things are starting to really piss me off.

1. GIVE ME THE loving V8! I do NOT want bait mission after loving bait mission. "Yeah lets get the V8! But first lets do this. Oh wait, before THAT we need to do this. Now we're so close, right after we do THIS. Oh so you tought that mission you spent 2 hours working up to was the final one? Hahahaha. No. Have a boss fight over 3 rounds for which you get poo poo all first."

2. Random patrols are part of the game but starting to clear out a base and suddenly having some junk heap crashing into you going HONK HONK is infuriating. This is propably a conscious design decision though.

3. Some missions do not work well with the car physics. The car is pretty clunky (more or less realistic compared to some games) but drat, having a race through some derelict tunnels in which you get bombarded, random cars fight you AND you can get stuck in some dumb girder is not a lot of fun.

4. Scrap is too hard to get for the amount of upgrades you can get. Storms are fine, and when you start clearing bases you get a nice amount over time, but the random scrap you find is a joke. "Yeah I cleared this base out, took me 10 minutes, got 30 scraps plus 4 bonus, jackpot!"

5. bases are dumb and convulted, whats wrong with a central hub instead of almost labyrinths.

Other than that, awesome game.

e: another one: Fist fights are great fun and all, but when you get blindsided a bunch of time from guys that you can't even see it can get quite fristrating.

1. It's like the Macguffin in the Mad Max world. You need to find fuel once you have one, but once you've got one it elevates your machine to a War Chariot of Pain rather than another bucket of bolts. A Star Wars game will give you a long and never-ending string of quests to get your lightsaber, actually finding the Elder Scroll in Skyrim took alot of loving around. It's the main tie in to the franchise. I get you, but I understand and appreciate that if anything is going to be long and involved.. getting the V8 should be it. Particularly when the 6 is so capable anyway. I actually played through this today, did the Underdune and found my wasted fighter chick (lol wtf was that) and then they dropped the 'now go and unlock some other specific poo poo for you car to advance this'. I turned it off and made dinner.. I'll play later. I'm happy there is more to play.. but yeah at that moment after doing all that other poo poo I needed a break. That's totally fine.

2. I've got all Thunderpoon upgrades except the last one (100% damage upgrade), but it's unlocked and it's already NUTS. 2 or 3 armour on a car? gently caress that, Thunderpoon blasts straight through and lights up the gas tank everytime. Any other car is just fodder for my rocket launcher..

3. I dunno, if you're referring to what happened in the airport, that longass tunnel and the ambush. I thought all of that was loving great. You've been driving in open areas for so many hours before this, it's the first time the car is really confined. Again my Thunderpoon just loving exploded anything annoying and the fist fight in the shop with the lighties was epic. Maybe if you rock up here with a less capable car and Max it's a chore.. but it's endgame content. Use the endgame tools and it's a blast (literally!).

4. Yeah, gathering scrap from the scavenging points is a fraction of what you'll collect harvesting the Scrap-special cars (whatever they're called) and motherloot boxes in storms. I'm actually realizing that I like that I don't have to clear everything like a sperg, you can do story missions, wasteland ones, random poo poo you find along the road or whatever you feel like. None of these will make you bad at collecting scrap and are 'playing the game wrong'.

5. Wait.. you want every base to be a central hub? That would be so incredibly boring after the 3rd base.. the bases are all handcrafted content. But again, I don't give a poo poo if I can't find that last scrap piece.. it's scrap, I can find it anywhere.. I'm outa here to do something better than searching for something I don't even need. If you ignore finding all the scrap and even insignias if you're really getting sick of it, the main actual point of each base is usually pretty straightforward (and explody and fun!).

6. People are continually complaining the combat ends up too easy and it's not challenging.

edit: my gripe is that if you've spent much time around real V8s you'll know no six sounds like Max's. It's the sound effect of a V8 but apparently there is a six under the hood. Hrm. Keep the awesome burble and V8 effects for the unlock..

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Sep 7, 2015

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Hey Ladies :cool:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So is the game good?

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

So is the game good?

The game is pretty and fun.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Kurtofan posted:

So is the game good?

The OP is pretty comprehensive. If you think that looks interesting, lots of us picked it up for around $20.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It’s an amazing screenshot button that also happens to have a pretty fun game attached.

If you like the idea of smashing cars into things and then taking pictures of the explosions and flying bodies this is the game for you.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I really am the worst person for the wanderers; I just sent a flaming wreck into the whole group when my intention was to kill the car so they wouldn't get run over.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

2. Random patrols are part of the game but starting to clear out a base and suddenly having some junk heap crashing into you going HONK HONK is
...basically every mad max movie. I'm pretty sure "Suddenly ASSHOLES from NOWHERE" was written in every script at least 100 times.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Uh how do you use the screen shot feature everyone is talking about. The game hasn't mentioned it once.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Bum the Sad posted:

Uh how do you use the screen shot feature everyone is talking about. The game hasn't mentioned it once.

It's called capture mode. Accessed from menu or press both thumbsticks in.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Bum the Sad posted:

"C" + "X"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Bum the Sad posted:

C+X or Both Thumbsticks on the Gamepad.

It's the best feature of the game, mentions it in the loading menus sometimes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

loving incredible.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So after a good 30 hours of playing I'd just like to reiterate that IGN's PS4 team are literally the only game critics anyone should ever listen to.

This is like the original film reviews for Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho all over again.

This game is so much god drat fun and some twerp on metacritic who beats off to ponies gave it a 40/100.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Just discovered the harpoon can pull down ladders. Which has made for some utterly broken base raids as you aggro everyone then sit outside the entrance and cook them with your side burners.

Also re-watching Fury Road, it kind of looks like WB threw at them the scene with the Buzzard attack and told them to make a game with it. Nux's car has a harpoon that wrenches off parts of a car, you have thundersticks, Buzzard buggies and War Boys along with the Immortan Joe branding - so beyond the obligatory tie-in elements they then had to build up everything else.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The harpoon is on the back of the War Rig actually. Morsov shoots it before he gets two crossbow bolts in the face and chest and does his thunderpoon leap on the Buzzard car.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Griffa's final words to Max are, "What is broken is healed by love only." This is from the Art of Fury Road, spoken by one of the screenwriters, Nico Lathouris.

quote:

“It’s about a man running away from his better self, and his better self catches up to him. It’s about a man that is ‘apart from’ at the beginning; he becomes a part of at the end. For the character of Max we had a little slogan which said, ‘Engage to heal,’ which means, as you become engaged, healing can happen, emotionally and spiritually.”

Given that Max has made such a powerful connection with Furiosa, why does he leave? [Co-screenwriter Nick] Lathouris says he believes Max has a repetition compulsion. ‘It’s a condition with an unresolved trauma, [where] you create or choose situations in your life that recreate the same trauma as an attempt to resolve it. In Mad Max 1, Max loses his wife and child and responded in an inappropriate way to their deaths. Instead of grieving, it’s too painful to really acknowledge that loss, so you turn and you blame somebody for it and then you kill them. And that cycle of revenge goes on and on and on. That’s why I think Mad Max might be such an important story to tell, and that’s why what’s broken is healed by love only. So that’s the lesson Max has to learn. At the end of Fury Road, he’s not ready yet to love. I think Furiosa is.’

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Perfect!

:perfect:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Very much enjoying this game. The first time a storm hit was loving amazing, never thought it would be as intense as it is. I was meaning to play this for a couple of hours while my friend borrowed MGSV for an evening but ended up playing this all weekend instead and ignoring MGSV. The world is gorgeous and the car combat is so loving satisfying, and I LOVE how good it runs on the PC. It really hits that compulsive - gotta collect all the poo poo - itch.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhj9CYy_UqA

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bit confused here: did a bunch of bases to get my scrap counter up, however suddenly it says "friendly bases added 133 scrap" when last time it was way over 300. Is this different bases at different times, a bug, or what?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

FuSchnick posted:

I want an unlockable top hat for Chum :tipshat:

I want an unlockable yashmak for the ugly wee fucker.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

gently caress yeah! :black101:

Incidentally, I snagged the second code in the latest batch. Thanks for the hood ornament! I've been looking in local convenience stores for the cans, but there's only the regular RockStar swill, no Mad Max cans. :(

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

what do people prefer control wise? Im using mouse and keybaord but wondering if driving is any better otherwise?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've been using a controller exactly because it's mostly a driving game

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Aint that typical; first muthaloot box i find is when im faffing about defusing minefields with chums buggy. How much loot are there in these boxes anyways?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

GyverMac posted:

Aint that typical; first muthaloot box i find is when im faffing about defusing minefields with chums buggy. How much loot are there in these boxes anyways?
I looted a couple last night (pretty early on in the game, my first ones ever) and they contained a total of 300 scrap each.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I'm stuck on the Gastown car race. I can't seem to find the best setup to give me good handling and survivability.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Picked this up and it's not working. The key was accepted by Steam, everything is downloaded and installed and I definitely meet or exceed the minimum spec in all areas. However, clicking on the desktop icon or the Play button in Steam does nothing at all. Anyone else had problems like this and know how to fix them?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

GyverMac posted:

100 scrap basic and up to an extra 50 scrap with a nearly fully upgraded extra scrap Griff perk. Every box has three pieces of super scrap and every storm can bring about maybe 3-7 Muthaloot boxes making them incredibly lucrative if you can manage to find a safe spot to smash the box and take the loot from.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

JFC posted:

I'm stuck on the Gastown car race. I can't seem to find the best setup to give me good handling and survivability.

Honestly? Get one of the high level V6 upgrades, dual grooved tires and decent suspension, then sink all your scrap into upgrading the Thunderpoon and just focus on Thunderpooning the Big Chief. I managed to finish it in like a minute or two, tops, because I just ignored everyone and chucked explosive spears at the dude as fast as possible.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Just finished the last storyline mission, and while the game itself was largely incredibly fun, there's a lot of stuff that's just not fun. The V8 being gated till the very last few missions is dumb as hell - the only story mission where you really get to use it is just convoy with no extra bells or whistles attached, and the upgrades are ridiculously expensive - I can only guess to eke out more playtime, since it's well over 10k scrap to fully upgrade the thing. Oh and for the last upgrade you have to get 0 threat in the largest zone. It's just a dumb case of the game hyping up an upgrade throughout the course of the entire game and then it's really not all that great and you barely get to play with it before the game's over, because at that point there's tons of implied urgency in the storyline. It's also never really displayed why you'd even want the V8 except that the game keeps telling you that you do. Show, you assholes, don't tell - a single mission earlier on where you got to gently caress around in a powerful V8-mobile would've been nice, but instead we just get told over and over that we just gotta have a V8 man it's so good!

Mission hubs were sort of nice and flavorful, but going around to the various upgrades is dumb and you could have easily gotten the same upgrading pieces of the base look by just turning the parts in to a central location instead of looking for ghostly outlines. It's also pretty stupid how you can only actively mark a single upgrade's parts at a time. Cars are fun as hell, but goddamn nothing destroys me faster than barely touching the wrong rock and just losing half my health while doing a good impression of a top. The thunderpoon is also way too overpowered and makes a joke out of every car-based challenge. Scrap locations are usually sort of neat looking but worthless gameplay-wise because the scrap in them scales up very poorly and you're better off just driving around to get the periodic scrap from the strongholds, since that does scale pretty well. Archangels and the alternate vehicles also serve no purpose that I can tell other than being forced on you for a couple missions, which is lovely for the Archangels because they require specific upgrades levels that you may have already exceeded, but gently caress you, you use these lovely shocks/engine/whatever instead.

The game doesn't expand at all on the things they introduce early on except to make things have bigger health bars or require upgrades to interact with. This means that there's way too much repetition as you move forward in the game - I've only completed Jeet's territory and the thought of trying the others just saps my will to play, because it'd be hours of repetitious bullshit to get an incremental upgrade or two. The third stronghold is especially bad, and the fourth is obviously the one where they ran out of dev time so it's the least padded out. Filler is also overused - Max comes to a full stop and runs through canned animations to eat, drink, refill his canteen, and refuel things. None of this stuff adds to the gameplay beyond maybe the first grossout moment where he's eating dog food or maggots or whatever, after that I don't give a poo poo, Max, just wash the drat corpsemaggots down while moving. Minefields are another really stupid filler example. They can't be marked on the map - because, I dunno, apparently it's impossible to detect the goddamn car graveyard around each one without a dog or getting really close with Chum - and they're required for reducing threat and the only way to defuse them is to bring out an optional vehicle that can't fast travel and listen to the same few barking sound loops ad nauseam. This stuff isn't huge, but it breaks the flow of the game and just generally doesn't seem to serve a positive purpose.

Regardless of all this it's a really fun game, I just wish they'd learned a few more lessons from other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Jedit posted:

Picked this up and it's not working. The key was accepted by Steam, everything is downloaded and installed and I definitely meet or exceed the minimum spec in all areas. However, clicking on the desktop icon or the Play button in Steam does nothing at all. Anyone else had problems like this and know how to fix them?

Verify your files.

• Locked thread