Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Hazdoc posted:

This is strongly linked to torpedo reload time, with some bias to the changes in playstyle as tiers rise. Since torpedo reload time increases so dramatically with tiers, the Minekaze's weaker torpedoes are still vastly more impactful in game due to it having more chances to HIT with those torpedoes and do meaningful damage to hostile ships. Parts of the problem are also linked with higher tier BB's having phenomenally higher HP and better torpedo defenses, as well as CVs getting more dominant with faster and more aircraft to fill the skies (as well as being faster and bulkier themselves, making rushing them less impactful).

I agree. It was bad back then and is bad now. The Hatsuharu managed to singlehandedly kill my desire to play DDs simply because if you missed you had to sit around for two minutes doing absolutely nothing with awful turret traverse. You simply couldn't fill the sea with torpedoes and to get in range to guarantee a hit that wasn't around an island corner usually meant losing half your health. I switched to CAs afterwards. The Mogami and Cleveland were beautiful in comparison.

Granted, I still think DDs are probably the class that has the highest skill ceiling, but it might be artificial due to the restrictions imposed upon them as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Hazdoc posted:

This is strongly linked to torpedo reload time, with some bias to the changes in playstyle as tiers rise. Since torpedo reload time increases so dramatically with tiers, the Minekaze's weaker torpedoes are still vastly more impactful in game due to it having more chances to HIT with those torpedoes and do meaningful damage to hostile ships. Parts of the problem are also linked with higher tier BB's having phenomenally higher HP and better torpedo defenses, as well as CVs getting more dominant with faster and more aircraft to fill the skies (as well as being faster and bulkier themselves, making rushing them less impactful).

Also, to rub salt in the wound, higher tier DD's have higher detection ranges on their torpedoes, increasing the amount of time targets have to react to hostile torpedoes. Because cutting the reload speed wasn't enough, I guess.

This has been my greatest issue. Even if the Minekaze's 10k torps didn't really have the kind of murder impact one could hope for the reload time and the 3x 2 torps meant that I could pull the trigger without making a life commitment. Even when lining up perfect shots at 7-10k the chugboat torps have such a poor hit/miss ratio that having my reload murdered really feels like it takes me out of the fight. Especially when all it takes is for a BB to not make so much as a 10* change to its heading. Forget hitting cruisers outside of dead luck.

I guess I'm just not sure what my role is supposed to be anymore. Might be that I'm approaching the game improperly now. But it really just feels like a hanging end on the part of the game's overall design. Or, you know, grind more.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I've experimented in a few games with tossing off torpedo salvoes nearer to max range on people in areas of the map where they just can't maneuver as well. Sort of looking for the same types of shots I would try to line up in a CV game with torp bombers. So sort of like perpendicular to the way I'd set up an island gank, and with much lower risk/reward.

I have also been trying to stick with the main body of my team and drop torps on enemies who're engaged with another ship rather than ninjaing out from behind island cover or rushing the back line. I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, but it feels like this is more Wargaming's "intended" playstyle, if that makes sense. Although getting wrecked by a stay salvo while not spotted just cuz you were too close to an ally being shot at by an enemy who doesn't know how to lead his shots is the worst feeling.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, the other thing is a Minekaze can influence a fight a lot even if the torps don't hit because you can fire them often enough to remain a very visible threat while staying hidden and force the target to maneuver, retreat, or look for you.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

Also, to rub salt in the wound, higher tier DD's have higher detection ranges on their torpedoes, increasing the amount of time targets have to react to hostile torpedoes. Because cutting the reload speed wasn't enough, I guess.
Detection is just based on torpedo size. 457 mm torpedoes get ~7 seconds warning, 533 mm get 9 seconds and 610 mm 12 seconds. Torpedo speed is almost a meaningless number (it matters when firing at a ship moving toward or away from you, or a ship that starts maneuvering before your torpedo is spotted).
The relationship between diameter and warning time applies even though the top tier US torpedoes outperform the first oxygen torpedoes.

Green Dam posted:

Granted, I still think DDs are probably the class that has the highest skill ceiling, but it might be artificial due to the restrictions imposed upon them as a whole.

It depends on what you mean by ceiling. Outside of base capture, even a good high tier destroyer is significantly less useful than a good player in any other ship class, but the improvement over a bad destroyer is pretty big.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DDs are terrible but they're enormously fun to play, which is a shame.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I was pretty down on the Ibuki after playing the Mogami with the 6in guns + captain skills so much, but I just had a game where the Ibuki became the ultimate destroyer of ... destroyers. When one of them complained I must be hacking after having killing 4 of them so far, I proclaimed in chat "DDs are easy to kill, and imma kill one more". And lo, I hunted down and killed the last DD pretty easily. Still, I'll be happy to get the Zao in ~200k exp :/

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
Does anyone else get the sense that it was much easier to carry games in WoT than in WoWS? I've had a string of about five games in a row now where I'm in the top 1 or 2 for exp on my team but we still lost miserably.

This game hurts my soul
:negative:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

Does anyone else get the sense that it was much easier to carry games in WoT than in WoWS? I've had a string of about five games in a row now where I'm in the top 1 or 2 for exp on my team but we still lost miserably.

This game hurts my soul
:negative:
It is absolutely easier to carry in WoT than in WoWs. Proper play with the right tank and situation can result in little to no damage taken in WoT, and mobility enables mediums to effect the map much more easily.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
With WoWS you have to rely on concealment (ie. Destroyers) to hopefully shotgun stuff with torpedo, otherwise you won't be able to overturn the game due to accumulated damage on your ship. MWO has similar characteristics as well.

Aesis fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 7, 2015

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
And when you're spotted, you flop around like a fish out of water waiting 60s for your torpedo cooldown, avoiding never-ending fire from that Atlanta chasing you. I'm half-way through the Hatsuharu, yeah it's a step up from the Mutsuki, but it's really hard to consistently effect influence/change in a match on a game-to-game basis like you can in a cruiser.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

James Garfield posted:

It depends on what you mean by ceiling. Outside of base capture, even a good high tier destroyer is significantly less useful than a good player in any other ship class, but the improvement over a bad destroyer is pretty big.

I mostly meant that is is pretty hard to do well in a DD compared to any other ship class given the way the game works. As you've said, a bad destroyer is basically playing with a ship down, whereas a bad BB or CA can still affect the battle with constant shellfire and not die instantly due to minor mistakes. There's very little compensation if you miss your torpedoes (especially from tier 6 onward as your reloads get progressively longer), and you can't really angle or terrain play anywhere as much as you can in World of Tanks. As well, how long it takes to flex across the map in even a fast ship compared to how well medium tanks can influence a game is a bit unfortunate.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Meh just nerf HE damage more so it's actually better to shoot AP and try to pen instead. WoT has it right, idk why WoWS can't. Also increase AP shell penetration a bit more.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Umm, so i unlocked the New Mexico and decided to take out the New York for one final ride to get my x2 before i sold it for the New Mexico, i got thrown into a tier 8 match and immediately regretted it.

and then this happened..

Now i'm debating on if i should just hang on to this thing.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
You BB guys are making me wanna grind up BBs. I like the heavy support role of them, but I'm terrible at them it seems

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
As much I'd like to float BBs I hate low tier's slow speed :smith: waiting until Tirpitz or enough free xp to North Carolina.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Aesis posted:

As much I'd like to float BBs I hate low tier's slow speed :smith: waiting until Tirpitz or enough free xp to North Carolina.

What I was planning, wish I could just buy the loving Tirp now. I'd abuse the poo poo outta it

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Thronde posted:

You BB guys are making me wanna grind up BBs. I like the heavy support role of them, but I'm terrible at them it seems

Cruisers just feel better to me. There's something about BBs and the solidification of the "well, I guess I'm going over here this match" factor that I don't really love.

I haven't driven any of the fast(er) ones, but the lower tier ones just take the ponderous pace of the game and run with it. Slowly. You know what I mean.

Maybe they'll be more fun with the whole CV pointing at you and saying goodbye factor reduced somewhat.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Thronde posted:

What I was planning, wish I could just buy the loving Tirp now. I'd abuse the poo poo outta it
Wait till 17th on NA, it's coming out as a package.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So now I've lost my Nagato to both of the tier 4 DDs. I really underestimate those guys.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Secondaries should be murdering them as soon as they enter torp range, assuming you have the secondary mods and a properly trained captain. That is one of the fun things about the Nagato.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

grrarg posted:

Secondaries should be murdering them as soon as they enter torp range, assuming you have the secondary mods and a properly trained captain. That is one of the fun things about the Nagato.
I thought Tier 4 IJN DD has 7 km torp range. Either way getting the secondary range up is very useful, it can fend off a DD as you run away from it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It was actually a really great ambush, I congratulated him in chat right after.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Clemson is a lord of battle and I will hear no bad words against it.

Also, nerfs or no, the Minekaze is still really good.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 7, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Aesis posted:

I thought Tier 4 IJN DD has 7 km torp range. Either way getting the secondary range up is very useful, it can fend off a DD as you run away from it.
Nagato secondaries can reach 7km with the secondary range module and captain training.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

grrarg posted:

Nagato secondaries can reach 7km with the secondary range module and captain training.

The IJN tier 4 DD will not be seen at 7km though.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

grrarg posted:

My Nagato's secondaries just vaporized a cleveland in about 10 seconds, granted he was about 2km away but still :stare:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

grrarg posted:

7.2km actually. The bonuses get added subsequently. And you can reach 7.6km range by using the close quarters flag. :huh:

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
The majority of the Nagato secondaries fire AP, which just seems like a bad idea all around. Or not? :confused:

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kuntz posted:

The majority of the Nagato secondaries fire AP, which just seems like a bad idea all around. Or not? :confused:

TBH the only thing you're losing out on is some fire chance. Even with that you still stand a pretty good chance of setting things that enter your secondary range on fire, and the AP gives them more chances to do damage to things on hits where an HE shell wouldn't have started a fire.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Any EU players looking to div up stick xBurtx on contacts and give me a shout when you see me. I play all from tiers 2 to 8.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

PirateBob posted:

7.2km actually. The bonuses get added subsequently. And you can reach 7.6km range by using the close quarters flag. :huh:

This is why I can't wait to get the Izumo and have nearly 10km secondaries. :sun:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Burt posted:

Any EU players looking to div up stick xBurtx on contacts and give me a shout when you see me. I play all from tiers 2 to 8.

I will keep an eye out as Panzerblitz. Seems only very few EU goons play this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, I tried out shooting a Cleveland's AP at the less armored front and back of a battleship from close range and side on and discovered I was getting multiple penetrations for like 8000 damage a volley. :catstare:

I mean, sure, you don't actually want to get that close to a BB in a Cleveland and should annoy him by making GBS threads all over him and dancing at 14km, but when it works, it works.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/bad-advice-battleships/

I have to say while it is nice to give players an idea how to play a class, that is some horrible advice.

quote:

Sniping is definitely a great strategy, but don't be afraid to mix it up in close combat.

Have they tried to reliably hit something with sniping, let alone citadel something? :stare:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Snipe in battleships and don't berate pubbies?

That article is about as wrong as wrong gets.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

This article seems to be more of a consequence of how pubbies play battleships rather than advice on how not to play them.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Night10194 posted:

So, I tried out shooting a Cleveland's AP at the less armored front and back of a battleship from close range and side on and discovered I was getting multiple penetrations for like 8000 damage a volley. :catstare:

I mean, sure, you don't actually want to get that close to a BB in a Cleveland and should annoy him by making GBS threads all over him and dancing at 14km, but when it works, it works.

My five cents of bad player advice is stick with the pack. When you get into range where your ships have engaged then you can try to end around and dispense your special brand of pain while they are distracted. Sure you are a high priority target but good luck them getting their guns turned around to fire on you plus someone else is still going to be potentially shooting much more dangerous rounds into them. And if it's two or three Cleveland's and you can spilt the other ship firing from all sides then bonus. I always run when I see more than one Cleveland riding in a pack. gently caress that.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'm undecided wether I should keep or sell my Aoba. Selling my Cleveland was a no-brainer since I didn't like the guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pubbieswhy.jpg. This would've been my x2, too. I took out 4 T6 BBs with a Nicholas. 4.