Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Probably alluding to the fact that video games journalism is just a press-release distribution network; is wholly reliant on the industry it reports on for its revenue and infamously reluctant to bite the hand that feeds it. Remember that whole Kane & Lynch/Gamespot fiasco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

thats what video game press has always been though, same as all hobby press, theres no process of dismantling the once effective old system like we're seeing with journalism - i suppose you could say a press as compliant as a hobby press is the end goal of the very wealthy but it just seems a weird parallel to draw

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Guavanaut posted:

Apparently it's better in the original Norwegian.

The author of Nemi has said that, because very few people speak Norwegian, foreign publishers often take her strips and add their own dialogue in and often their jokes are better than hers.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Actually it's about ethics in games journalism...

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

This is wicked. Hope they excavate the poo poo out of these stones.

If they can't excavate them they should recreate them, then see if some stone age mad poo poo/Cthulhu summoning happens at the summer solstice.

Actually, someone ought to create a modern, brutalist Megahenge. Perhaps on the greenbelt somewhere to annoy the Mail.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...
Stonehenge was in the past only one component of a large temple complex - the modern grassy fields really don't do it justice. When it was originally built the whole landscape surrounding it would have been stripped barrows of white chalk.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Actually it's about ethics in games journalism...

NO. Bad dog! Don't curse us with that poo poo.
It'll be worse than Nuke Chat and Cooking Chat put together.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

No, don't go! I have some hastily MS Paint-edited charts proving that woman are awful!

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

stonehenge isnt a real henge according to the archaeological definition which just proves whoever wrote that definition was a contrary motherfucker

E: excerpt from my stand up set about henges

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of games anybody playing Metal Gear Solid 5? Nothing like poasting about lefty poo poo on the internet before playing a game as a super-capitalist PMC loving up the Soviets left, right and centre.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

stonehenge isnt a real henge according to the archaeological definition which just proves whoever wrote that definition was a contrary motherfucker

E: excerpt from my stand up set about henges
Earth is actually a giant plutoid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tesseraction posted:

Speaking of games anybody playing Metal Gear Solid 5? Nothing like poasting about lefty poo poo on the internet before playing a game as a super-capitalist PMC loving up the Soviets left, right and centre.

I've done very little else the past few days.

I love me some dramatized bullshit Cold War geopolitics.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

It's so good. Yesterday I attached a balloon to a bear and air lifted it back to my base, then defeated a boss by calling in a supply drop and landing a cargo crate on her head.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Video games. Cool.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I love ballooning poo poo. When I first rescued Kaz and saw my D-Horse suddenly get ballooned into the sky I burst out laughing.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I'm basically did nothing else this weekend. My Mother Base is exclusively populated with soviet troops. :getin:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Niric posted:

I know that a lot of the media is terrible, but this sentiment come up quite often in lefty circles (most notably in the Scottish Indy ref), and I think it's really misguided. The main issues is the most obvious one: what replaces papers? Not to defend them as Guardians (pun intended) of truth and investigative reporting, but the notion that the death of papers will result in a better journalistic landscape seems fundamentally flawed. The oft-cited alternative - "social media" - is as distressingly vague as it is utterly inadequate. The belief that somehow opinionated blogs or occasional snap shots on twitter or whatever can, will and should become the primary source of news seems to me to reflect the problem, rather than be the solution. It relies on a strange and unfounded faith that the death of papers somehow increases rather than diminishes the plurality of media sources, when it will almost certainly increase reliance on a smaller set of news wires, along with a similar belief that people sharing things on facebook or twitter or whatever somehow produces a radical cultural shift towards expansive knowledge, rather than simply encouraging a repetition which reinforces already existing prejudices.

There's the BBC, which manages to be not as bad as everything else.

Tesseraction posted:

Wait MGSV is set in the cold war? :aaaaa:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

spectralent posted:

MGS3, Peace Walker, Ground Zeroes and 5 are set in '64, '74, '75, and '84 respectively. 5 is actually set in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

StoneOfShame posted:

Private Eye is the only decent piece of journalism left in this country.

I disagree. Fortean Times also meets the acceptable standard.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

spectralent posted:

There's the BBC, which manages to be not as bad as everything else.

1983 specifically. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and some civil war on the Zaire border.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Cool lets just post about video games while literally millions of people live in a food desert.

croc suit
Nov 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
communize stuff and make sure you deliver the videogames ON TIME

- Thread Nomenklatura

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Cool lets just post about video games while literally millions of people live in a food desert.

whats youre favourite video game

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MGSV has finally combined my love of Metal Gear with my obsessive video game compulsion to collect everything in a given level, in the most hilarious way possible.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

Sensible World of Soccer.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I thought food deserts were an American phenomenon because of their lovely public transport and aversion to designing anything to be walkable?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

:unsmigghh:

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

In the way that the whole industry was always about keeping publishers happy with overly glowing reviews of lovely content, like how TOS talked about public news sources not being overly critical of their information suppliers so that they'd be able to continue providing easily attainable content to low costs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

I thought food deserts were an American phenomenon because of their lovely public transport and aversion to designing anything to be walkable?
They're due to people playing video games on their flatscreens instead of preparing asparagus by hand. :wankah:

Moving big supermarkets to out of town commercial estates doesn't help either.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Oberleutnant posted:

Pissflaps favourite game is peggle

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I prefer PES tbh

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think this week the Tories will get their message together on the refugee crisis and we'll see

1. A relatively small increase in refugees to be accepted trumpeted as a great humanitarian response
2. Lots of tories talking about taking refugees isn't solving the problem and suggesting bombing syria more asap
3. Using the focus on terrorism and Syria to push further erosion of civil liberties, the encryption ban etc

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

1983 specifically. The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan and some civil war on the Zaire border.

MGR is the only good MG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsmb-x2PU6s&t=479s

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

Good choice. Football games got worse when they started to have more than one action button and removed the ability to replace all the players' names with the names of your friends/rude words IMO.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

couldn't get into it, probs because I only have a PC and tried playing with m&kb when it was obviously designed for a controller.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Jedit posted:

I disagree. Fortean Times also meets the acceptable standard.

I miss the Fortean Times TV show. It's a shame the website is absolute poo poo, they'd probably actually make some money if they moved it online.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
sorry to interrupt video game chat but apparently the dup has decided that the NI executive won't regularly meet anymore and have threatened to resign if they don't get a "satisfactory outcome" from talks, whatever that means. Dunno exactly how bad this is, but it sounds like something significant...

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

In Northern Ireland, the DUP have announced their "unilateral action" today and that they signposted last week.

They are boycotting the executive until the conclusion of cross party talks that begin tomorrow, they aren't pulling out just yet but it formalises the paralysis of the executive. They've made it clear that unless a "satisfactory conclusion" is reached they will pull out completely, triggering new elections and collapsing the executive - most likely leading to a reintroduction of direct rule as the resulting elections will still not produce a workable executive.

What exactly is a satisfactory conclusion remains to be seen, the DUP reacted very positively to noises the Northern Ireland Office made over the weekend that they are prepared to take back welfare powers and directly implement cuts from Whitehall - something the DUP are rather keen on.

This is going to drag on for a few more weeks yet.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

sorry to interrupt video game chat but apparently the dup has decided that the NI executive won't regularly meet anymore and have threatened to resign if they don't get a "satisfactory outcome" from talks, whatever that means. Dunno exactly how bad this is, but it sounds like something significant...

Just as I was typing :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oberleutnant posted:

I prefer PES tbh

well you're wrong, Sensible Soccer owns

• Locked thread