Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Colombians are Americans dude. It's not their fault the word's used throughout the anglosphere to describe folks from the United States, rather than folks from the Americas.

...or he's a liar. The above still applies, though. Anyone from the Americas can correctly call themselves American, whether US citizen or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PerpetualSelf posted:

Also the United States biggest mistake in Syria was their failure to commit to Assad and propup one of the few remaining Secular states in the Middle East. Secular Democracy which in 90s seemed inevitable in the middle east is now a pipe dream. They committed the same mistake in taking out Saddam Hussein. The only hope for secular states in the Middle East post-bush is via dictatorship whether you like that or not. The final result of the Syrian war will be a Secular Dictatorship or Sharia law of some form. There is zero hope for secular democracy in the Middle East.

MIGF parachute account spotted.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

my dad posted:

8/10

Taking 2 point off because your second post made the troll too obvious.

nah they lost me with "pissant little Europeans".

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Chomskyan posted:

Weren't you pretending to be Colombian just like a day ago in the Venezuelan thread?

Colombo-American.

See the great thing about america is we are a melting pot of various cultures and everyone can call us home. I mean yes racism is bad but it's nothing compared to what is about to go down in Europe. Most people are pretty cool to immigrants here all things considering.

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin

PerpetualSelf posted:

hate, and hate crimes for the far forseeable future and the effects of those people, and their political policies will ensure any kind of proper cultural fusion is impossible.

Obvious trolling aside has anyone really addressed this issue?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-34138127 This article is just saying that Islamophobic crime is on the rise in London, but I'm going to extrapolate and say that its probably on the rise in all of Europe. There seems to be a lot of pro-immigration support while just kind of ignoring the reality of the situation that there is a not insignificant amount of Europeans who would rather not have immigrants in their communities. I feel like even in a best case scenario with the refugees being settled, anything other than a flawless plan and execution will just lead to more strife and conflict for the refugees.

There was a post from a Danish person about how they settled immigrants in Denmark and then extraneous circumstances lead to a rise in ostracization and racism etc. and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what ill happen in Germany and elsewhere.(apologies if i misrepresented what you were saying)

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Arglebargle III posted:

OTOH not only are these solutions expensive, but there will be violence and crime associated with the refugee communities. There would be violence and crime in any area full of displaced people whatever their race, and to be frank Levant Arab culture is notorious for its toxic ideas of masculinity, rampant misogyny, and a weak sense of rule of law. Not lumping it in with Pashto or Gulf Arab culture which is inarguably worse in many respects but it's a reality. Acting like bending over backwards to be welcoming, lavishing money on model communities, and scrupulous political correctness will eliminate those problems is a mistake is the only salient point these blood-and-fatherland people make. Even with good policy, this is a humanitarian crisis that is going to leave everybody materially worse off than they were at least in the short term, because it is a disaster and requires resources to manage. Except for the people in states that close their borders.

So these arguments that "we can just do X Y and very-expensive Z and it will be better" are all very nice but this is best looked at as a disaster-response situation. There are going to be costs, and everybody's going to be worse off for it in the short term. Those costs whether they are first-order resource-distribution or second-order law order and assimilation costs are real and won't simply disappear in a blinding flash of liberal policy.

People fleeing war are usually a lot better behaved towards their host countries than their home countries. I get that you have issues with arabs (but lol if you think white european culture doesn't have toxic masculinity, rampant misogyny and lack of respect for the rule of law), but we're not going to be importing a homogenous horde of culturally toxic savages, get over yourself.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

PerpetualSelf posted:

Colombo-American.

See the great thing about america is we are a melting pot of various cultures and everyone can call us home.

Except, of course, for muslims. We're talking what, less than 1%?

Pathetic.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

United States ceiling for number of refugees admitted this year: 70,000
Number of people expected to be received by Germany this year: 800,000

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
You're not going to get to america very fast on an overcrowded rubber raft.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Sure, but for the prices that refugees are paying the smugglers, many of them could probably afford plane tickets - if, you know, their destination country was actually willing to receive them.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

PerpetualSelf posted:

I don't think Europe or England understand what true Diversity, Tolerance, or Common Sense means anymore and that this whole endeavor is going to fail miserably.

But not that I care. I'm a American. gently caress the pissant little Europeons. Seen so many people compare this event to the growth in France from immigrants and people pointing to that failure as a reason it can never worked all while ignoring how loving insular French society is in the first place and how loving xenephobic their culture is from the outset.

Diversity sure as gently caress isn't going to mean accepting every little cultural standard or tradition - these things are supposed to meld: the best traits of one, the best traits of another, into a overall national identity.

Europeans like to treat it completely differently. They are so drat insular and cling so much to their antiquated meaningless kings, queens, old rulers, tea time, lovely languages, nude broads in their loving newspapers, sports traditions, food, drink, and so on that they'd never give a chance for that to happen. So things will be segregated from the get-go. Which means it simply will not work.

I mean I'd love this to happen for all the refugees to settle down, integrate into society, the national identity and culture to meld to where Hummus, Tabbouleh, and Shawarma became part of the standard national cuisine. But the rise of the european right means there is only going to be violence, discrimination, hate, and hate crimes for the far forseeable future and the effects of those people, and their political policies will ensure any kind of proper cultural fusion is impossible. Any Muslim thinking of going to Europe in this day and age should think twice about the likelihood of having his whole family hacked down with an axe by a neo-nazi crazy.

I don't understand why we can't just do massive airlifts of refugees to the richer arab states and laugh at them if they try to stop us.

PerpetualSelf posted:

Colombo-American.

See the great thing about america is we are a melting pot of various cultures and everyone can call us home. I mean yes racism is bad but it's nothing compared to what is about to go down in Europe. Most people are pretty cool to immigrants here all things considering.

lol at both "Europe or England" and calling women "broads" when trying to make a feminist point.

Your argument in any case seems to be "America is so much better to refugees than Europe so let's airlift them all to... The Gulf :dance:". Even if we leave the premise unchallenged (we shouldn't), do you not think a better plan suggests itself here? A way you guys can actually improve the situation rather than gibbering impotently about Racist Tea Time and its effects on migration?

(Just so you know, Arab states won't treat refugees more pleasantly or integrate them more effectively just because 'lol, same race!'. Ask the Palestinians.)

lmaoboy1998 fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 7, 2015

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot
I have heard it said that Islam needs to go through an enlightenment like Europe did. The truth is, that one is in progress but it is violent just like Europe's enlightenment was violent, sometimes imposed by dictators and sometimes imposed by mobs. Remember the French Revolution? Remember all the other wars? Liberal Muslims absolutely exist. LGBT Muslims and allies exist. And it greater numbers than you might realize. They abhor this violence. The abhor groups like ISIS that seem to be getting colossal amounts of money from somewhere. Early on it was from the US funding Syrian rebels, now its from human trafficking, oil, artifacts, and gems. Its not other terrorists buying those things. Its not always other Muslims manufacturing and selling them guns. There have got to be quite a few rich fucks out there who have enslaved domestic workers dusting their looted Roman vases, and they are either Western or do a lot of business with the west to get so rich.

What I do not like to see is Western powers sticking their dicks in the situation and "helping" for completely selfish reasons. It means that those liberal Muslims get painted as agents of America. And stop giving shady people money and being surprised when they do appalling things.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Its almost like ISIS is intentionally creating a refugee crisis as a weapon to destabilize europe.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

Its almost like ISIS is intentionally creating a refugee crisis as a weapon to destabilize europe.

The dead hand of Colonel Qaddafi is at work too.

The real crisis is globalization, though.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Sword and Sceptre posted:

There was a post from a Danish person about how they settled immigrants in Denmark and then extraneous circumstances lead to a rise in ostracization and racism etc. and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what ill happen in Germany and elsewhere.(apologies if i misrepresented what you were saying)
Today, the Danish government bought ads in Lebanese newspapers, telling refugees to stay away from Denmark.

http://www.thelocal.dk/20150907/denmarks-anti-refugee-ads-published-in-foreign-papers

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but dubstep.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What would be some reputable organizations to donate to that are involved in helping refugees at this time?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

What would be some reputable organizations to donate to that are involved in helping refugees at this time?

You could donate to the International Committee of the Red Cross.

e: You can read more about their role, and other potential organizations to donate to here.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 7, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tias posted:

People fleeing war are usually a lot better behaved towards their host countries than their home countries. I get that you have issues with arabs (but lol if you think white european culture doesn't have toxic masculinity, rampant misogyny and lack of respect for the rule of law), but we're not going to be importing a homogenous horde of culturally toxic savages, get over yourself.

See, this is the sort of handwaving that the blood-and-soil folks complain about and it's like the only thing they say that's halfway right. Accepting refugees from Syria is not the same as accepting vacationers from Surrey.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

MSF (Doctor's Without Borders). They're the kind of organization that tells people to stop donating, when they think they've reached a saturation point.

Red Cross has a very spotty history in places like the US and Haiti.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

MothraAttack posted:

drat look at all em darkies about to soil our women.

This is genuinely why attitudes to immigration in the UK are hardening as there's been a string of cases of mass sexual abuse by men of predominantly south asian origin
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_sex_gang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_sex_gang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_sex_gang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telford_sex_gang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_sex_abuse_case
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banbury_sex_gang
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylesbury_sex_gang

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

That's it? It seems like there are lots of other reasons too. Nigel Farage doesn't really hammer on about rape gangs (I guess he has more taste and restraint than you).

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

SedanChair posted:

Nigel Farage doesn't really hammer on about rape gangs (I guess he has more taste and restraint than you).

:iceburn:

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

ufarn posted:

MSF (Doctor's Without Borders). They're the kind of organization that tells people to stop donating, when they think they've reached a saturation point.

Red Cross has a very spotty history in places like the US and Haiti.

Red Cross depends hugely on who you donate to. If you donate to the ICRC, your money will be dealt with very differently than if you donate to, say, the American Red Cross.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SedanChair posted:

That's it? It seems like there are lots of other reasons too. Nigel Farage doesn't really hammer on about rape gangs (I guess he has more taste and restraint than you).

I think certainly one of the reasons given the amount of media coverage those cases have gotten and there's now a white only mini cab company. I don't agree with it btw

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Inferior Third Season posted:

Today, the Danish government bought ads in Lebanese newspapers, telling refugees to stay away from Denmark.

http://www.thelocal.dk/20150907/denmarks-anti-refugee-ads-published-in-foreign-papers

Our government is literal racist scum. I pray this does not kick off another round of diplomatic crises :sigh:

Arglebargle III posted:

See, this is the sort of handwaving that the blood-and-soil folks complain about and it's like the only thing they say that's halfway right. Accepting refugees from Syria is not the same as accepting vacationers from Surrey.

No, unless I'm much mistaken, it would be a hell of lot more pleasant. :frogout:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Tias posted:

Our government is literal racist scum. I pray this does not kick off another round of diplomatic crises.

I think Leicester tried that in the 80s and Africans. It either didn't work or encouraged people to emigrate there because they knew its name and figured that it had to be good there if they're trying to stop people coming.

We're also in the process of unwinding a massive decades long paedo ring involving white British Christian/atheists who were famous entertainers and politicians potentially including a prime minister so it's more likely that being in the UK with our lovely and corrupt police lets you be a paedo rather than anything to do with ethnicity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Nige blames the problems with our healthcare service on HIV infected foreigners coming here on holiday and getting free operations while giving people AIDS.

I don't think there is anyone less tasteful than Nigel.

namesake posted:

We're also in the process of unwinding a massive decades long paedo ring involving white British Christian/atheists who were famous entertainers and politicians potentially including a prime minister so it's more likely that being in the UK with our lovely and corrupt police lets you be a paedo rather than anything to do with ethnicity.

Entirely true but people will jump on the minority incidents and use them as fuel for the pre-existing conclusion that foreigners are evil.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Imapanda posted:

You're not going to get to america very fast on an overcrowded rubber raft.

It's not like the Vietnamese boat people had to cross the Pacific on their own for the US to take them in. The logistics of transportation is probably going to be the simplest obstacle to overcome if you want to bring hundreds of thousands of refugees to the US.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It's not like the Vietnamese boat people had to cross the Pacific on their own for the US to take them in. The logistics of transportation is probably going to be the simplest obstacle to overcome if you want to bring hundreds of thousands of refugees to the US.

And has been pointed out already, a lot of these people are paying upwards of $10k for a boat to Europe. For that money, they could easily grab a plane ticket to the US, provided we'd actually grant them refugee status and let them stay. Which we almost certainly wouldn't.

Chemtrail
Dec 29, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Sydin posted:

And has been pointed out already, a lot of these people are paying upwards of $10k for a boat to Europe. For that money, they could easily grab a plane ticket to the US, provided we'd actually grant them refugee status and let them stay. Which we almost certainly wouldn't.

From my experience airlines won't even let you board US flights if you don't have a valid visa.

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

lmaoboy1998 posted:

lol at both "Europe or England" and calling women "broads" when trying to make a feminist point.

England really isn't Europe. It's a whole different ballgame. As for the latter I guess you don't understand tongue in cheek sarcasm.

lmaoboy1998 posted:

Your argument in any case seems to be "America is so much better to refugees than Europe so let's airlift them all to... The Gulf :dance:". Even if we leave the premise unchallenged (we shouldn't), do you not think a better plan suggests itself here? A way you guys can actually improve the situation rather than gibbering impotently about Racist Tea Time and its effects on migration?

(Just so you know, Arab states won't treat refugees more pleasantly or integrate them more effectively just because 'lol, same race!'. Ask the Palestinians.)

I fear that allowing Arabs into the European nations is not only not going to make the situation for them any better, but make them worse.

Also if ISIS and AQ or any extremist group are smart in any way or form they are going to be using this to their advantage to place terror cells within Europe with the goal of setting of attacks that will cause further cultural friction and alienation.

This cultural friction is not something that the terrorist groups do not desire. They want it. That was their very goal from the beginning. Because it helps them recruit. It leads to isolation of communities and radicalization of local muslim populations.

This whole thing screams metastrategy. Osama Bin Laden will probably go down as the smartest man in Middle Eastern history for how he basically singlehandedly, with a very small group of crazies, caused the western world hundreds of trillions of dollars in costs.

The whole situation is very, very, dangerous and the rise of global warming ensures that this is not going to be a single incident. I could see mass refugee crisises occurring regularly for the next 50 to 100 years and the entire western populations being supplanted.

If the refugees are less educated, poorer, and the institutions and infrastructure of the european countries they are entering are incapable of educating and bringing so many people up to date with the level of basic understanding of science that the west has how does education not slide backwards in these countries? They've escaped the anti-evolution nonsense and superstition. Massive immigration could completely change that trend amongst many, many others. No matter how much you love immigrants how do you deal with that? Because there is one major difference between the mass immigrations of the central american and mexican populations in the United States, where both cultures are informed by european traditions, and share similar values and education levels, and there's something very different with having a bunch of people who share very different values at such a massive level entering.

We should be focusing on colonizing space at this point as a species. How do you ensure that those important things remain funded in the face of such a event horizon as the collapse of modern society due to mass immigrations caused by global warming and overpopulation?

PerpetualSelf fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 8, 2015

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

PerpetualSelf posted:

We should be focusing on colonizing space at this point as a species. How do you ensure that those important things remain funded in the face of such a event horizon as the collapse of modern society due to mass immigrations caused by global warming and overpopulation?

You had me up to this point :laffo:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Space detour from nowhere!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
lol we can't accept migrants because nations supposedly can't stop terror cells or assimilate a refugee population composing a fraction of their population, ergo, colonize space.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would support colonising space if we could convince Capital to leave the planet.

Capital [space]Flight

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

OwlFancier posted:

I would support colonising space if we could convince Capital to leave the planet.

Capital [space]Flight

why would you want to give capital the high ground?

Unknown Dyne
Aug 23, 2010

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ernie Muppari posted:

why would you want to give capital the high ground?

So I can push them off it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Newt Gingrich knows the peril of allowing Muslims to conqueror the moon.

• Locked thread