Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Outrail posted:

I'm genuinely impressed how confidently it straddles the line between cool and dumb.

I'd have to look more when it comes out but would probably buy one when my current microfleece dies (edit: the 'sweatshirt' is cotton, if it was polartec I'd definitely get obe).

I'd end up using the pockets for the wrong things but pen/zipper, eye mask and glove things are cool. Neck brace is eh, but I think I saw him put an open coke can in it and that is A grade retard right there.

I can't tell you how many times I've been out and about with half a can of soda that I want to save for later, but I just don't have any pockets to handle that type of thing. This hoodie could save me dozens of dollars a year in beverage costs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

rhombus posted:

I can't tell you how many times I've been out and about with half a can of soda that I want to save for later, but I just don't have any pockets to handle that type of thing. This hoodie could save me dozens of dollars a year in beverage costs!

I wonder if the person who designed that clothing has ever seen the plastic screw-top bottles that carry sodas and that are ubiquitous everywhere (Edit:) in first world countries.

Actually it's odd how these are impossible to find in third world countries. Maybe that specific jacket pocket is for the savvy third world trekkers.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 8, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm not a violent man, but if I saw anyone put an open can of coke in their special can pocket I'd just start gibbering and punch the can.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

qirex posted:

e: These just came out, I've never seen them in person but Lowa is legit.
Has anybody tried these? drat it's a lot to spend for a pair of shoes but aesthetically, they look pretty perfect. Casual enough to wear with shorts but nice enough to wear "out". I'm normally not a big fan of gore-tex because it gets hot as gently caress but it looks like the sole is lined with gore-tex as well and the one review out there said it worked well at keeping the feet cool. Some sort of voodoo magic with holes in the bottoms to let air out but not water in

If they offered these in a non-gore version, I'd be all over it.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's still a sneaker and screams of travel dad but looks comfortable so who cares. I suppose black is more low key. And don't be stingy when it comes to your feet. It's like a good set of tires

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

caberham posted:

It's still a sneaker and screams of travel dad but looks comfortable so who cares. I suppose black is more low key. And don't be stingy when it comes to your feet. It's like a good set of tires

Yeah I love my travel dad shoes but I still bring backup sneakers everywhere. A lot of times if your feet are feeling really beat up just changing to other shoes even if they're not any more comfortable can help.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

caberham posted:

It's really tough to tell without seeing them in person but the leather upper and grommets for the laces make it look much less sneaker to me, while at the same time it definitely isn't a pants-only casual dress shoe like qirex's link above. Sorry but I'll never take a pair of clunkers like those on a longer trip. Not only are they pants-only but they're heavy as hell to lug around when not wearing them.

I definitely agree though, sometimes just switching into a different pair of shoes can make all the difference.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those Merrells are actually pretty light, a little bulky but I think they weighed less than my other shoes. Not a good look with shorts, though.

I think I'm going to go for the new MLC if I see it on sale, I checked it out at a Patagonia store and I really like it now that the sections both zip closed.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Anyone know anywhere you can buy floating pack lids separately?

I've got a Blaze AC60 and it is the tits. Light, easy to pack, relatively comfortable (could be a bit taller but I've done multi day hikes and it's ok) basically lived out of it for a year. The problem is the sold separately lid which is a piece of poo poo:

I used it as a daybag/shoulder bag, and with the compression straps you can fit a bit more gear on it but it's only 7L, the zip keeps popping open, and even if it didn't it's positioned perfectly to dump all your poo poo on the ground. If the zip was more towards the top it'd be ok but eh.

I want to replace it with a better one, even if it means smashing the new buckles off and sewing the old ones on, but I can't even find anywhere to buy them aside from a way over priced ($90) army thing.

Sea Monkey
Nov 20, 2008
Since we were talking about Icebreaker on the last page; everyone should know that they have their semi-annual sale going on right now and it's up to 50% off.

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/sale

I picked up some tech lite tee's and they're absolutely worth it.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Sea Monkey posted:

Since we were talking about Icebreaker on the last page; everyone should know that they have their semi-annual sale going on right now and it's up to 50% off.

http://www.icebreaker.com/en/sale

I picked up some tech lite tee's and they're absolutely worth it.

Thank you! I love traveling in those tees, and those polos are basically cut perfectly for my build.

Luckily, all the underwear inventory remaining was all XLs or else I may have broke the bank.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Welp there goes $100

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saint Fu posted:

Welp there goes $100

Go on, post the purchase. We won't judge. We're all friends here.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Outrail posted:

Go on, post the purchase. We won't judge. We're all friends here.

The key is buying two pairs of the same socks, so when one is inevitably lost you can just rotate through the three remaining socks! >_>

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Blinkman987 posted:

The key is buying two pairs of the same socks, so when one is inevitably lost you can just rotate through the three remaining socks! >_>

I have like 6 or 7 pairs of the same socks and am down to an odd number of socks again, but it'll even out again soon and I won't even notice.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

I'm really upset that I didn't immediately post a joke about "Yeah, show him the whole two items you bought" when talking about spending $100 at Icebreaker. T_T

Do any of you have generic empty bottles that you store shampoo/soap/liquids in? The issue with most bottles is that they have a screw cap (good) but then a cheap snap top (bad). The snap top breaks and basically I'm hosed.

Edit: My Icebreaker order was crazy disappointing. Both shirts had tons of stray strands. One of the shirts had the stitching on the left sleeve coming undone too. gently caress that. Returning both.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 20, 2015

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

Edit: My Icebreaker order was crazy disappointing. Both shirts had tons of stray strands. One of the shirts had the stitching on the left sleeve coming undone too. gently caress that. Returning both.

Both of my Icebreaker Sprint base layers (the original and the one they sent as a warranty replacement) had a design flaw that caused the bottom of the half-zip zipper section to become detached and jab you in the chest. Their stuff feels more durable than Smartwool, but in my experience Smartwool is superior in every other metric, from comfort to quality control.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Have an icebreaker peacoat that I like OK but the rest of their stuff has always felt super flimsy to me. I use silkweight thermals as a baselayer when it's cold.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

qirex posted:

Have an icebreaker peacoat that I like OK but the rest of their stuff has always felt super flimsy to me. I use silkweight thermals as a baselayer when it's cold.

Just like the order I received, I've found their stuff is extremely hit or miss. The transport polos are the most flattering shirts I own, but their t's don't really hold up over time. I do like the designs they have on their t's, though, so I'm kinda in on that. Mostly I'm wearing their wool shirts for defense against BO while backpacking/traveling. Otherwise I'd just wear my infinitely cheaper poly base layers.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Blinkman987 posted:

I'm really upset that I didn't immediately post a joke about "Yeah, show him the whole two items you bought" when talking about spending $100 at Icebreaker. T_T

Do any of you have generic empty bottles that you store shampoo/soap/liquids in? The issue with most bottles is that they have a screw cap (good) but then a cheap snap top (bad). The snap top breaks and basically I'm hosed.

I've always just bought travel size versions of my liquids and refilled from the big bottle. In most cases they're less flimsy at a lower cost than special travel bottles. They're also prelabeled.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leviathan Song posted:

I've always just bought travel size versions of my liquids and refilled from the big bottle. In most cases they're less flimsy at a lower cost than special travel bottles. They're also prelabeled.

Done exactly this for years.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Blinkman987 posted:

GoToob bottles are very nice, but spendy.

http://www.amazon.com/humangear-HG0187-Humangear-GoToob-Travel/dp/B003GSKT6S

If you can afford merino wool though, they're not that bad.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I will smell. Period.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Blinkman987 posted:

IKEA has some pretty durable ones. They have some nice travel gadget stuff, actually. Like packing tubes and little bags and stuff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I just take bottles of soap that other people leave behind. I lose my own so often I figure it's just the cycle of life or something,

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I put my bottles in a plastic travel bag inside my Dopp kit, just in case anything breaks.

E: The local CVS sells "trial size" toiletries, so that's what I use.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm looking for a new pair of travel headphones. Every time I leave for a trip I look around for my brand X earbuds, and I can't find them, or the earbuds are covered in bottom-of-travel bag dust, and I end up taking this massive pair of silver/black Panasonic headphones I found at Target some 6 years ago. They probably take up half a cubic foot of cargo room in my bag (I do a lot of international backpacking using just a backpack and a day pack) and the pleather ear cushions have started to flake badly.

Mainly I'm looking for a) something under $50 for if/when they get crushed/stolen and b) over the ear (no earbuds!), and c) no garish colors that will attract attention on public transit/airport (i.e. no skullcandy, 'beats by dre' etc or whatever).

I've tentatively narrowed it down to these three models

1) Sony MDR-V150 - $30

I had a pair of these in college about 10 years ago and I don't remember what happened to them they just disappeared one day. They don't fold flat

2) Sony MDRZX100 ZX - $16

Basically the same headphone but worse construction quality, however they do fold flat

3) AmazonBasics On-Ear Headphones - $15

Probably the same quality as the first pair (V150) but with the fold flat functionality. They seem fairly sturdy from photos and amazon's consumer products division seems to do a pretty good job of providing average to better than average generic versions of stuff.

I've never had fold-flat headphones before but that's an appealing idea since that means I could just jam them in whatever bag without having to make special space exemptions for my non-earbud headphones, just pack them in with the clothes or something.

I'm open to other ideas.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Koss Porta-Pros spring to mind, they're cheap [$33, $50 with iphone remote], fold and they're so ugly nobody would bother stealing them. If you look around you might be able to find Sony v6/v7506 [they're basically the same] for $75 or $80.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Koss Porta Pros are amazing for their price, but they're pretty open so they may be annoying people around you if it's quiet.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Monoprice is putting out some good, cheap headphones these days. I have their noise-cancelling earbuds and really like them for travelling. Really helps with the constant background noise on airplanes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I used to break and lose head phones all the loving time. Nowadays I just keep it in a certain pocket and got these new blue tooth ear buds where I religiously charge the batteries every night

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
On the topic of travel audio, I want to recommend the Xiami Pistons in-ear monitors (both models 2 and 3).
After destroying my 200+ euro IEM on a trip, I ordered the Pistons and the quality is pretty ridiculous for the price. I keep a fancy pair for the office/home, otherwise for travels and the gym it's 100% Pistons. At their price, replacing lost or damaged ones is pretty easy.

Best way to get ahold of them is through verified resellers, which head-fi.org does a great job of listing.

plotskee
Mar 10, 2010

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away. For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Thanks, ordered a couple of those headphones.

Anyone have anything bad to say about the Osprey Farpoint 55? Going to be traveling India for a few months and my trusty 40L Eagle Creek Explorer bag won't make it :(

Going to be doing a lot of trekking and the suspension looks better than the Porter. I had a separate daypack before so the included one is a plus. I know it's not strictly carryon legal but I'm counting on not being hassled, guess I'm shopping for anecdotes of the opposite experience, or thoughts on it vs the Tortuga Travel pack.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Unless the frame is huge you can usually compression strap the gently caress out of anything and call it carry on legal.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

rhombus posted:

Monoprice is putting out some good, cheap headphones these days. I have their noise-cancelling earbuds and really like them for travelling. Really helps with the constant background noise on airplanes.

Gonna second Monoprice. Someone pointed me in the direction of their earbuds a while back and the quality to price ratio is kinda insane.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Update I bought the "3) AmazonBasics On-Ear Headphones - $15" on a whim and they're pretty comfortable/durable, and come with their own drawstring bag which is nice. I think I am going to take them on my next trip.

Man, drawstring bags are the poo poo when it comes to traveling with electronics. I always carry two spare USB charging cables, one spare (tiny) usb wall adapter and a three way adapter (someone is always already charging their laptop on the only wall socket) and whatever else.

When I bought some sheets a while back, they came folded up in this drawstring bag which is maybe big enough to hold a cantaloupe. I just toss all my weird electronic poo poo in there, and then toss it in the bottom of my main storage compartment, and I can find it later. Like a shave kit bag for all your electronic poo poo. I loving love it, it's changed my life.

Generally the only things I need ready access to are my 1) money, 2) travel documents and 3) the ability to charge my phone on the go (Access to google maps, etc); while the money belt solved 1+2, #3 has always been a hassle

Oh right, and Tmobile has FREE 2G international data now, so I'm burning up my phone battery even faster than ever now. I bought a 5600mah battery (again from amazon) and phone charge anxiety has dissapeared forever. Knowing you can go three days between finding a wall socket, even with heavy use, is amazing. That battery pack is about the same size as a 5" phone and just lived in my day pack with a USB cord snaking out the top and in to my pocket to keep the phone perpetually charged.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've been using a gallon ziplock bag for miscellaneous cables, chargers, and batteries for several years. Makes airports easy, just pull it and my bag no longer looks like a nuclear device on x-ray.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking on advice on how large a bag I'll need for 2 weeks in Thailand next year.

Last time I went overseas I literally spent 90% of my time on a tiny tropical island SCUBA diving, and I just bought a backpack and my dive bag. Anything that didn't fit in the backpack went into the dive bag, but there wasn't a whole lot. This time I'm intending on doing 1 week SCUBA and 1 week in Phuket or Bangkok, but not taking my own dive gear.

I recently moved interstate and shed everything superfluous, meaning I've got no suitcases or backpacks, so starting afresh. I'm looking at a duffel style bag as they seem to offer more water/weatherproof options given my proximity to water, however I've got no idea how big 45, 60, 90 or 125L of space really is and how far that stretches.

So far the Patagonia Black Hole has come up a few times as decent, and the North Face Base Camp has an odd mix of high sales but terrible reviews. Other things like locally made Over-board bags also sit in the same price range or cheaper and are attractive, but if anything it's just leaving me more confused with so many features, sizes and materials.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

crowtribe posted:

I recently moved interstate and shed everything superfluous, meaning I've got no suitcases or backpacks, so starting afresh. I'm looking at a duffel style bag as they seem to offer more water/weatherproof options given my proximity to water, however I've got no idea how big 45, 60, 90 or 125L of space really is and how far that stretches.

So far the Patagonia Black Hole has come up a few times as decent, and the North Face Base Camp has an odd mix of high sales but terrible reviews. Other things like locally made Over-board bags also sit in the same price range or cheaper and are attractive, but if anything it's just leaving me more confused with so many features, sizes and materials.

You should probably go into a real physical store and check them out in person. Even a 45 L bag is large enough for 10 days of clothing with a change every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Saladman posted:

You should probably go into a real physical store and check them out in person. Even a 45 L bag is large enough for 10 days of clothing with a change every day.

This. The issue is when you start carrying sleeping bags, tents, pots and poo poo. If you don't plan on camping or doing some sort of activity that requires specialized equipment you can pro any travel for a few years with a a 45l pack quite easily.

On the subject of pack sales, north face and osprey will naturally have huge sales numbers which just means they have awesome advertising budgets. Just look for a reasonable number of reviews with a high number of stars and read a few for red flags (bad zips, poor ergonomics, small pox infection etc)

• Locked thread