Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Duck Game's Genesis soundtrack is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
You know, I didn't expect the first time Someone gets killed in Until Dawn to be so abrupt and without warning, I always figured there'd be SOME way to escape it. At least that's what's showing in todays update.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solaris Knight posted:

My main autistic nitpick. with Liam is that part of the appeal of a LP is to experience a game even when you're poo poo at it, but man does he skip a lot of the text and plot and leave people feeling short shrifted.

Yeah but not every LP is just made to be 100% and show everything, if you want that for TPP I bet ChipCheezum will have one eventually. Sometimes you want something like the Tipping Forties or MenDrinkinCoffee to just kind of have some people taking the piss out of a game or just be entertaining. I don't want to make this some dumb LP Sandcastle argument where we start yelling "WELL WHAT DOES YOUR LP BRING TO THE TABLE" at each other. Just try to enjoy it for what it is and choose if you want to watch it or not. I'm probably gonna stop once the catch up to where I am in the game to be honest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, I know how unreasonable it is to want Until Dawn to be a daily LP, but damned if it isn't the one I'm looking forward to each episode the most

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ok, I gave into temptation and watched ahead a little bit for the until dawn, if my estimation for the overall thoughtfulness and skill of Matt and Patt are correct, they are going to be very, VERY far off from a perfect run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't realize the dialogue choice there would affect how much clothing she had one. She was down to her bra and panty in the Giantbomb playthrough.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

I didn't realize the dialogue choice there would affect how much clothing she had one. She was down to her bra and panty in the Giantbomb playthrough.

goddamnit matt and pat keep rushing the game and we're not getting the full experience

Until Dawn is reminding me of how bad jump scares get me, to the point I watch it with the headphones halfway inside my ears so the music stings are lessened. I'm not even scared, I'm just dreading the next DAH because I know it'll make me jump. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Don't worry, everybody gets got by jump scares, loud sudden noises startle human beings. That's just how they work. It's also why they are cheap poo poo despite also being a legitimate horror game spook tactic. It works, but it's also crap.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I never noticed the thing in the background during the ouiji board scene. Weird!

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

CJacobs posted:

Don't worry, everybody gets got by jump scares, loud sudden noises startle human beings. That's just how they work. It's also why they are cheap poo poo despite also being a legitimate horror game spook tactic. It works, but it's also crap.

It's a perfectly valid form of horror, as Dias clearly demonstrates.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jumpscares can be totally valid. I'd call Five Nights at Freddy's a great example of them because they're almost used as a punishment system more than anything. It's just easy to abuse them because, yea, they hit that weird primal "AH SOMETHING JUMPED AT ME AND YELLED, RUN, FUCKIN RUN" part of our brains so they can feel like not 'earned' scares. Like if I hang around a corner and jump out yelling "BOO" at people, I'm scaring a good bit of them, but I also probably shouldn't be super proud.

Until Dawn uses them well, in my opinion.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jump scares are fine if you build up the tension appropriately beforehand and don't just have the jump scare be the opener to the scary moment. But the reason I say they're cheap is because they will always work just because of what they are. They don't have a lasting effect, though. They are a quick, single second of precision spook but after that second is over that scare loses its effectiveness instantly. Which is why you see horror movies and such do jump scare after jump scare sometimes even in the same scene, because they need to keep scaring you after the previous one wears off on you.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 7, 2015

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Although Until Dawn has had a lot of jump scares so far, I think it's also using them (and their absence) in a really interesting way. We know this is a jump-scare game, and I think in a bunch conversations that have occurred the camera focus has shifted from being on either of characters involved, to the spooky darkness behind them, or the nearby unshuttered window- created an expectation that something's going to appear. A lot of the time it doesn't, but for me at least it's contributed to the tense atmosphere.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

Roach Warehouse posted:

Although Until Dawn has had a lot of jump scares so far, I think it's also using them (and their absence) in a really interesting way. We know this is a jump-scare game, and I think in a bunch conversations that have occurred the camera focus has shifted from being on either of characters involved, to the spooky darkness behind them, or the nearby unshuttered window- created an expectation that something's going to appear. A lot of the time it doesn't, but for me at least it's contributed to the tense atmosphere.
This is why I've been able to avoid having my ears get totally blasted by the audio sting when the jump scares do happen as I've been able to anticipate when most of them are setting up for one. But even then, the context for most of the early ones have been used very well. The very first one was at least funny after the fact because it was contextualized as the teens being dumb assholes scaring each other.

It's still a horror tactic I'd rather avoid and just have it be a slow tension build up, but again it's being handled relatively better here than a lot of horror stuff does anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ArclightBorealis posted:

This is why I've been able to avoid having my ears get totally blasted by the audio sting when the jump scares do happen as I've been able to anticipate when most of them are setting up for one.

Haha, this is why I said I'm especially bad with them, because I know exactly when one is coming, down to the beat, and I still would jump if I didn't take the headphones off.

Now, that's not to say it's a bad thing, and I think it's doing cool atmospheric things anyway. My favorite jump scare ever is the monster reveal in The Descent because it's just sort of a jump scare. That ouija scene reminded me a bit of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
As someone who gets very sick of jump scares very easily, I was always excited for the next one in Until Dawn. More often than not the jump scares are used in fun and clever ways and even though it will outright build a section for you as to say "THIS IS A JUMP SCARE" the game never feels like it's trying to get a cheap scare out of you. It helps it's also really good at atmosphere building.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The "You just got MONKED!" bit was outstanding. His whole flippant "ooooOOoooOoo" when he caught them on the stairs was perfect, followed by that great lovely line.

Chris is good

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Dias posted:

Haha, this is why I said I'm especially bad with them, because I know exactly when one is coming, down to the beat, and I still would jump if I didn't take the headphones off.

Now, that's not to say it's a bad thing, and I think it's doing cool atmospheric things anyway. My favorite jump scare ever is the monster reveal in The Descent because it's just sort of a jump scare. That ouija scene reminded me a bit of that.

Ever play Condemned: Criminal Origins and get to "that" jumpscare?

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Or condemned 2's jump bear

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Probably podcast curse, but Pikmin 4 was announced and is apparently almost done, according to Miyamoto.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Tae posted:

Probably podcast curse, but Pikmin 4 was announced and is apparently almost done, according to Miyamoto.

maybe there's still time, don't they record podcasts after 6 pm on Mondays and then upload it shortly after?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2015

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
What games should they play for the shitstorm?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Full playthrough of Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tae posted:

woolie's podcast cursed seal is spreading

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I want them to play code veronica after like 8 LPs talking about it

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Soma should be out in a couple weeks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lab Zero put out another new video

Figured I'd post it here as it seems like something the guys would dig.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Depths posted:

What games should they play for the shitstorm?

Pretty certain Fatal Frame WiiU will be out in time. If they do it like last time (which worked really well) they'll do like that and two others then do a few scattered things.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lab Zero put out another new video

Figured I'd post it here as it seems like something the guys would dig.

I know gently caress all about anything else that's gonna be but it looks well drawn.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's gonna be valkyrie profile but the norse stuff replaced with India stuff

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

"I don't think we're going to listen to more tapes"

Woooow

E: oh good they walked it back

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 8, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

hey guys, remember when Woolie said the Seychelles were off the coast of Australia?

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015
Just a musket shot off the coast of Australia

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
And none of them realized you can't take a helicopter from australia to goddamn afghanistan

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys, remember when Woolie said the Seychelles were off the coast of Australia?

It's still off the coast, just really, really far off the coast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Rhonne posted:

It's still off the coast, just really, really far off the coast.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
I got so scared when Liam did that 40% Fulton at the end of the sandstorm in the most recent episode. Not ashamed to say I earnestly yelled "No!" at the computer.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

Chrispurple posted:

I got so scared when Liam did that 40% Fulton at the end of the sandstorm in the most recent episode. Not ashamed to say I earnestly yelled "No!" at the computer.

Hundreds of new kinds of guns for Liam to jump.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Man, Liam keeps missing all the tapes. Doesn't he realize that this game is really just an 80's music collectathon?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Chrispurple posted:

Is getting THE DOG a one-time thing? if the fulton fails that's it for the rest of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ApeHawk posted:

Man, Liam keeps missing all the tapes. Doesn't he realize that this game is really just an 80's music collectathon?

The saddest thing for me in this game is having to abort a tape rescue because I wasn't sure I could stealth my way into its room. :smith: At least I got the two that really mattered so far.