Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Nobody wants Star Wars Mircromachines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So do large Lego sets usually take 3.5 hours?? Also, lots of little bits left over - I guess if you drop the tiny pieces. This is the first big one ive ever really built.

There is a cool little mechanism that twists to open the s-foil that I liked. Now to find something to prop this thing up. Perhaps one of those clear boxes Ikea sells.... hmmm.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 5, 2015

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Cloks posted:

All these Star Wars toys are going to be well stocked in like a month and will stay that way until parents start buying them for Christmas, right? That's what I'm banking on.

They'll probably be well stocked early next week. I live in a scalper-rich metropolitan area and found everything I was looking for after like four stops.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

boom boom boom posted:

Probably because they look positively godawful. It doesn't help that they're hanging right next to infinitely superior Titanium Series vehicles. The only reasons to buy the MM versions would be if you have a budget of $5 or less for multiple vehicles and/or if you've always wanted to see a toddler choke to death on a really bad Star Wars toy.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Vintersorg posted:

So do large Lego sets usually take 3.5 hours?? Also, lots of little bits left over - I guess if you drop the tiny pieces. This is the first big one ive ever really built.

There is a cool little mechanism that twists to open the s-foil that I liked. Now to find something to prop this thing up. Perhaps one of those clear boxes Ikea sells.... hmmm.

Obviously yeah the more often you build big sets the faster you go through them. Pretty much every Lego set comes with extra bits nowadays, usually the little stuff that you might be more likely to use. It's pretty considerate of them.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Travis343 posted:

Obviously yeah the more often you build big sets the faster you go through them. Pretty much every Lego set comes with extra bits nowadays, usually the little stuff that you might be more likely to use. It's pretty considerate of them.

It's mostly because small parts are so light that the automatic scales used to make sure the right bits are being packed can't easily pick them up. They're usually small AND unusual bits. You almost never get multiples of "standard" color 1x1s, for example, because it's rare for a set to ship with a small number of them.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

boom boom boom posted:

FOH I loved Star Wars Micromachines as a kid. Are the new ones just shittier or something?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Terrible paint apps, limited detail, just cheap looking overall:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reVkGG3CaTc

By comparison, the Titanium Series vehicles look great, have display stands and moving parts. So you can get three crap MicroMachines or one really good TS vehicle for the same price.

I will admit that the original MM line was after my time as a kid, so maybe they were always cheap and terrible.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are any of these Force Awakens figures limited? Should I grab any of them in particular? I just bought the Kylo Armor, kind of want Phasma too.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ButtWolf posted:

Are any of these Force Awakens figures limited? Should I grab any of them in particular? I just bought the Kylo Armor, kind of want Phasma too.

This one is limited.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-first-order-stormtrooper-squad-leader-hot-toys-902539/

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That one was only limited in Japan. Made to order over here.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

therealjon_ posted:

That one was only limited in Japan. Made to order over here.

I think there are still a limited amount, seeing how it's an "exclusive"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've seen Sideshow exclusives available from plenty of other vendors in the past.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any certain sites yall shop from?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ButtWolf posted:

Any certain sites yall shop from?

HobbyLinkJapan

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I went to visit a friend a few towns over today and stopped at the TRU/Target/Wal*Marts I passed along the way. Lots more nothingness--I still haven't seen a single 3.75" figure, but I did see one single Chewbacca 6" Black Series. My search for a Black Series First Order Trooper continues, but I did snag a Kylo Ren POP (the Target variant) and the First Order Snowtrooper POP. Something is better than nothing!

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

I'm just curious, were you expecting more or less? Since once theyre complete they get tossed on a shelf I always feel I get my money's worth if I can break it out into an hour a day over a week or something (like that bigass TIE that came out earlier in the year)

boom boom boom posted:

I really dug those Micro Machines Action Fleet series back in the day. http://www.starwarsactionfleet.com/swaf.cgi?s=home I'm guessing the Titanium series is like a current version of that?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I really dug those Micro Machines Action Fleet series back in the day. http://www.starwarsactionfleet.com/swaf.cgi?s=home I'm guessing the Titanium series is like a current version of that?

Action Fleet were awesome. Titanium series are bigger than Micromachines but smaller than Action Fleet. They're like die cast vehicles, none of which are in scale with each other.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Based on the initial look of the X-Wing I wasn't expecting it to be complex. But there is SO MUCH going on underneath the shell that you dont really see 90% of what the hell is getting built. Like right in the core are 2 blue pieces.... I have no idea what they do but they are there. It's a beautiful feat of engineering.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fish Of Doom posted:

Action Fleet were awesome. Titanium series are bigger than Micromachines but smaller than Action Fleet. They're like die cast vehicles, none of which are in scale with each other.

where do the X-Wing miniatues fit into this?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I keep hoping for another reissue of the gigantic "legacy" Millennium Falcon. I always regretted not picking one up so I could go hog wild with an obsessively accurate repaint job. The ebay prices are kinda staggering. The new playset with all the flip-up features looks fun as hell for little kids, but it looks like a step down even from the old Kenner one in terms of scale and accuracy.

I have piles of old Star Wars toys from the heyday of Power of the Force stuff, but at this point I'm planning on giving most of it away; passing it down to my childhood best friend's newborn son. I just want to hold onto a handful of real personal favorites. I loved the HELL out of my reissued Millennium Falcon, but the marginally more mature me wants to let a child enjoy that, and trade up for something more collector-friendly.

Regardless of how the new trilogy turns out, I'd totally settle for a Falcon that has the new rectangular dish. It looks cool. But I want that big one, dammit!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I keep hoping for another reissue of the gigantic "legacy" Millennium Falcon. I always regretted not picking one up so I could go hog wild with an obsessively accurate repaint job. The ebay prices are kinda staggering. The new playset with all the flip-up features looks fun as hell for little kids, but it looks like a step down even from the old Kenner one in terms of scale and accuracy.

If you're looking for something to paint up, rather than play with, the Hero Series Millennium Falcon might be a great option. It was a Wal Mart exclusive last year and cost like $60. It's huge like the Legacy Falcon and appears to use the most of same molding in terms of exterior detailing and such. The main difference is that it's a solid, sealed version, so the back doesn't pop off, the ramp does drop down, etc. Because it relies on decals for just about all of the colored detailing, it ships just as flat colored plastic, which makes it ideal for painting. A number of folks used them for fairly hardcore kitbash/conversion projects. They still had them on shelves at some local Wal Marts near me a month or two ago, so presumably the aftermarket prices aren't going to be too bad if you watch eBay for a week or two.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Based on the initial look of the X-Wing I wasn't expecting it to be complex. But there is SO MUCH going on underneath the shell that you dont really see 90% of what the hell is getting built. Like right in the core are 2 blue pieces.... I have no idea what they do but they are there. It's a beautiful feat of engineering.

It's pretty common for them to do that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure my OT X-Wing set from a couple years ago was similar. I think it's a case of both making those pieces easier to see in the instructions as well as throwing you some different colored pieces for when you tear it down eventually.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, couldn't help myself. :3:

Rey's Speeder is pretty cool tho. The sides can open up when you twist the bottom exhaust and the flaps move around simply as well.

Probably gonna get the new Tie Fighter next as its only $79.99 -- cheaper than the X-Wing! Dont think I can push myself to get Kylo Rens ship - its at that price where it's too much ($150 CAD).

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress, couldn't help myself. :3:

Rey's Speeder is pretty cool tho. The sides can open up when you twist the bottom exhaust and the flaps move around simply as well.

Probably gonna get the new Tie Fighter next as its only $79.99 -- cheaper than the X-Wing! Dont think I can push myself to get Kylo Rens ship - its at that price where it's too much ($150 CAD).

If you're ever gonna drop $150, just go all-in and get the Falcon. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

funtax posted:

If you're looking for something to paint up, rather than play with, the Hero Series Millennium Falcon might be a great option. It was a Wal Mart exclusive last year and cost like $60. It's huge like the Legacy Falcon and appears to use the most of same molding in terms of exterior detailing and such. The main difference is that it's a solid, sealed version, so the back doesn't pop off, the ramp does drop down, etc. Because it relies on decals for just about all of the colored detailing, it ships just as flat colored plastic, which makes it ideal for painting. A number of folks used them for fairly hardcore kitbash/conversion projects. They still had them on shelves at some local Wal Marts near me a month or two ago, so presumably the aftermarket prices aren't going to be too bad if you watch eBay for a week or two.

I actually have looked into that one and given it strong consideration. The major problem is that it's not just the 2D details that got replaced by stickers. Most of the intricate mechanical details along the sides are missing, replaced by flat stickers, so it requires either a bunch of costly aftermarket parts or days of hand-sculpting. Ditto with the exhaust vents on the back. It also has ugly, totally inaccurate landing gear fused to the underside which needs to be cut away and replaced with something better. There are also no details inside the cockpit, unless you buy or build more parts. Ultimately the cost of the project, either in parts, labor or some combination of the two, would be crazy enough that I might as well be paying $400 for the one that can fit figures in it.

It's not a bad suggestion... It really does have potential for a beautiful conversion, plus apparently it's extremely lightweight so it's good for a hanging display. I've seen some conversions with complex LED lighting and stuff that are pretty drat impressive. It's more a model kit than a toy though, and I already built a really nice model kit of it.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

That's one of the cool things about most lego sets, the stuff made to be played with at least, is quite internally solid. I think from what I've read the cheaper also-ran block sets will do the hollowed-out make it cheap thing I think you were expecting. I think someone else mentioned it earlier but the odd color stuff internally is there to help you keep your spot when dealing with a lot of the same color. Here's an example from the big tie fighter

If you want to get silly about it, if you've got a local lego store they have a random part wall in the back that you can get pieces to make stands from. , there's also a lego store card club thing that gets $5 every $100 spent (or whatever you use in canada), the new xwing and tie plus some other crap got me half off the little speeder kit.

funtax posted:

If you're ever gonna drop $150, just go all-in and get the Falcon. YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO.

I may be broken, I think the falcon is cool and all but its the fighters that do it.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Vintersorg posted:

The sides can open up when you twist the bottom exhaust and the flaps move around simply as well.

Curse you, I'm such a sucker for play features on Legos.

quote:

Try a Wal-mart or Target, instead of a TRU. TRUs are like 10% more expensive, and I know the X-wing is 79.99 at Target.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cyberball 2072 posted:

If you want to get silly about it, if you've got a local lego store they have a random part wall in the back that you can get pieces to make stands from. , there's also a lego store card club thing that gets $5 every $100 spent (or whatever you use in canada), the new xwing and tie plus some other crap got me half off the little speeder kit.

We actually just had a shop open up here in my city and stands are EXACTLY what im looking for. Any guides on what pieces are needed for these? I mean.... I could just be creative and make something but a nice established thing would be wicked, esp. for the new X-Wing. I would love to have something strong enough that it could bend in the middle for dynamic posing with the s-foils opened.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I'm not going to buy legos this week. I'm not.

I'm not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm not.

Toxx.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm not.

Y'know, just because it's a holiday doesn't mean Monday's technically the weekend ...

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm not.

Think of all the Lego sets going unbuilt this weekend because of you. You monster.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I got some Star Wars Pops. I don't even like Star Wars that much. But they were C-3PO variants and he's the best, and they were Barnes and Noble exclusives so I think that means if I didn't get them right then I'd miss my chance, and my Barnes and Noble membership is gonna run out the end of this month, so in a way I'm saving money by buying them...

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I didn't go to Force Friday, but I did Sloppy Seconds Saturday.

I got some Micro Machines and as much as I liked them as a kid, these really loving suck.

I got a few Hot Wheels ships and Black Series Titanium and these are good. I also kind of ordered a bunch more of the older Titanium 3-packs off Amazon because I really liked what I got, and it seems a lot of these are just repaints of old Titaniums. I have the Poe T-70\Falcon\Biggs T-65\TIE, Luke X-Wing\Death Star\Vader's TIE, Snowspeeder\Falcon\AT-AT and A-Wing\B-Wing\TIE packs coming my way.

I would like to mostly collect ships, and this seems like the way to go. The micro machines are poo poo and the Hasbro ships are just too big and expensive. I already have a bunch of 3 3/4" scale ships dominating my kitchen. I kinda wish I was into Titanium in the past because these are actually pretty nice and some are pricey on the aftermarket, i.e. TIE Interceptor, TIE Defender and so on.

The only actual figure I got was Black Series Finn. They had Chewie but I didn't get him as I already had an OT Black Series Chewie. They might be slightly different, I dunno. Didn't see any Kylo Ren, Rey or Troopers.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

All this talk about Star Wars ships just makes me wish Good Smile would somehow get the Star Wars license and make a Nendoroid-sized X-Wing fighter. poo poo, Star Wars Nendoroids in general would be awesome. I know there's a Vader and Stormtrooper coming out soon, but Luke, Han, an X-Wing pilot ...

Also, my Target was totally wiped for everything I was interested in. No Phasmas or Kylo Rens in sight, neither in the toy section nor the seasonal area. :smith: That was Friday evening. Nothing was restocked aside from the soup and mac 'n cheese on Sunday when I went back for errands, either.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

A Tin Of Beans posted:

All this talk about Star Wars ships just makes me wish Good Smile would somehow get the Star Wars license and make a Nendoroid-sized X-Wing fighter. poo poo, Star Wars Nendoroids in general would be awesome. I know there's a Vader and Stormtrooper coming out soon, but Luke, Han, an X-Wing pilot ...

Also, my Target was totally wiped for everything I was interested in. No Phasmas or Kylo Rens in sight, neither in the toy section nor the seasonal area. :smith: That was Friday evening. Nothing was restocked aside from the soup and mac 'n cheese on Sunday when I went back for errands, either.

Well? Did you scalp the soup and mac 'n cheese? You missed a huge opportunity if you didn't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel bad for the kids. They get no Star Wars. :(

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I bought a Jar Jar mashup dude and my son stole it from my desk before I could open it.

He's very pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

The Rage posted:

Well? Did you scalp the soup and mac 'n cheese? You missed a huge opportunity if you didn't.

I'm holding onto this drat Campbell's Soup can. Ten years and I'll be rich, I tell ya!