Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Murderion posted:

By the way, does Ben Bradshaw actually have a personality? Looking at his blurb on the voting site says no.

Totally late to the party, but apparently he's a fantastic constituency MP. My mother gets involved in a lot of social work, some with refugees, and he's apparently been really happy to provide assistance where he can and generally been awesome. I wish I'd had that conversation before I cast my vote, oops!

Edit: There are so many war related things on this day, but 7 September 1940: Start of the Blitz

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Sensible World of Soccer.

I always knew you were alright Pissflaps.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I always knew you were alright Pissflaps.
It's not exactly a controversial choice...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oberleutnant posted:

couldn't get into it, probs because I only have a PC and tried playing with m&kb when it was obviously designed for a controller.

Yeah it sucks rear end without a controller. That said you can get a Logitech one for like £25. The end boss music is a nice nod to dialectic social theory.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
You can get an X360 wired controller for less than £20 in some places in my experience

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Oh I already have a pad I just cba to dig it out of whatever closet it's in. Also the 30 minutes of MGR I played didn't rally inspire me. t seemed like pretty samey platform-action and a boss battle that was straight out of a 1990's arcade game.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009
Doug Richard, a former Dragons’ Den star and adviser to David Cameron, is to appear in court charged with sexually assaulting a 13-year-old child

The company he keeps, eh.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

I really don't remember him at all. But it says he did two series! I guess that was ten years ago now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Filmed him at our uni once. Bit of a dick.

Here he is going on about business and entrepreneurship or something. https://vls.uclan.ac.uk/Play/4239

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Prince John posted:

Totally late to the party, but apparently he's a fantastic constituency MP. My mother gets involved in a lot of social work, some with refugees, and he's apparently been really happy to provide assistance where he can and generally been awesome. I wish I'd had that conversation before I cast my vote, oops!

Edit: There are so many war related things on this day, but 7 September 1940: Start of the Blitz

On the other hand, he's one of the stock people homophobes point to when they say "see, gay people don't want marriage!".

I would have been okay with any other Labour politician calling out people for voting against same-sex marriage, just not Ben loving Bradshaw.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

TinTower posted:

On the other hand, he's one of the stock people homophobes point to when they say "see, gay people don't want marriage!".

I would have been okay with any other Labour politician calling out people for voting against same-sex marriage, just not Ben loving Bradshaw.

Was he taking the view that he's happy with civil partnerships and doesn't care about it being called the specific word 'marriage'?

How come you're so bothered about him in particular? (Sorry, I know literally nothing about him other than that anecdote.)

Prince John fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 7, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Speaking of which, Tim Loughton has called for a simple amendment to the Civil Partnership Act to revise the first sentence of the bill "A civil partnership is a relationship between two people of the same sex (“civil partners”)—" to remove 'of the same sex', hopefully to be debated October 21st. If that doesn't go anywhere, the equal civil partnerships pressure group have finally got a date for their court case, January 19th/20th 2016.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

That's nothing; CJ off of Eggheads reckons he killed a man this one time.

The Independent posted:

Eggheads star CJ de Mooi: ‘I suspect I’ve killed a man’

Eggheads panellist CJ de Mooi has revealed how he believes he once killed a man, after punching him and throwing him in a canal.

The gifted quiz-player made the startling admission in his autobiography, which the Daily Mirror published an extract from this morning.

“He caught me on the wrong day and I just snapped,” de Mooi wrote.

“I fully suspect I killed him. I've no idea what happened to him."

He added of the attack: “This is the one incident of my life I do regret. I was in a phone box and this old guy, obviously a massive drug user, came up behind me with a knife in his hand.

“He told me to turn around, open my bag and give him whatever was inside.

“I punched him so hard in the face, knocked the knife out of his hand and threw him in the canal. I fully suspect I killed him. I’ve no idea what happened to him.

"It was the only outburst of violence I’ve ever done. That’s one of the main reasons why I absolutely abhor all violence."

It has been reported that police in Amsterdam are now investigating the incident.

De Mooi's autobiography charts his rise from a violent, racist and homophobic home in Rotherham to become a president of the English Chess Federation.

He worked as a prostitute in London before moving to Amsterdam and finding himself broke.

Prior to becoming a regular on the BBC's Eggheads, de Mooi appeared on The Weakest Link.

He once described his fellow contestants as "idiots", before adding: "I hope they, their loved ones and all their pets die horribly in freak yachting accidents!"

So there's a thing. I always thought it would be Daphne that would turn out to be the stone cold assassin.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That's a loving stupid thing to admit.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Prince John posted:

Was he taking the view that he's happy with civil partnerships and doesn't care about it being called the specific word 'marriage'?

How come you're so bothered about him in particular? (Sorry, I know literally nothing about him other than that anecdote.)

That was what he said, yes, but being gay, homophobes immediately latched onto it to prove that gay marriage wasn't wanted by the majority of the gay community. Same thing with when Ben Summerskill kept Stonewall from lobbying from same-sex marriage for years.

And then they both went on record saying that parties other than Labour supporting same-sex marriage was a political stunt. Whilst marching in Pride shirts that say that only Labour can deliver equality.*

*when they're forced to do so having been sued all the way up to the European Court of Human Rights

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
So, it looks like this is going to hit 100,000 signatures. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477 Hang those that bum the poppy etc.

Hopefully it will get about as serious a response as the cannabis one did, but that just hammers home that we're reliant on a bad system to stop things like this progressing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Has anything (good or bad) come from that petition thing?

e: as in the entire petition thing in general

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

So, it looks like this is going to hit 100,000 signatures. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106477 Hang those that bum the poppy etc.

Hopefully it will get about as serious a response as the cannabis one did, but that just hammers home that we're reliant on a bad system to stop things like this progressing.

this is extremely inaccurate :argh:

E: ^^ no its a waste of time/fig leaf, theres no way to challenge a government response even if it completely ignores the actual text of the petition (see cannabis one) and they are only committed to "considering" a debate on a subject

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

They should automatically ignore petitions that contain more than a certain number (possibly one) of exclamation marks.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

To be fair, the accept more position is well on its way to half a million.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phoon posted:

this is extremely inaccurate :argh:
Is there a bingo card for these things? Taking all our benefits, costing the government millions, UK becoming a Muslim country, 12 million, all disrespecting are troops, and exclamation marks! must be enough to get a line.

e:

Baron Corbyn posted:

To be fair, the accept more position is well on its way to half a million.
Well, that's good. The anti petition is the most stereotypical Mail clickbait though, and having 100k people run with it is disheartening.

hookerbot 5000 posted:

They should automatically ignore petitions that contain more than a certain number (possibly one) of exclamation marks.
Good idea!.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 7, 2015

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

just realised that andy burnham and his ridiculous "bloke labour" project would probably love armstrong

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

That's a loving stupid thing to admit.

Probably not, it happened in 1988 so the statute of limitations has almost definitely expired. Unless someone with a lot of money goes "WAIT THAT WAS MY BELOVED FATHER" and goes after him with all he has.

Oberleutnant posted:

Oh I already have a pad I just cba to dig it out of whatever closet it's in. Also the 30 minutes of MGR I played didn't rally inspire me. t seemed like pretty samey platform-action and a boss battle that was straight out of a 1990's arcade game.

It's not exactly life-changing but it's the kind of game I happily played over and over again until my PC exploded. Whether it exploded because the PSU was on the poo poo or because the game was just Too Fun is another matter.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Do we even have statute of limitations in the UK?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

nuzak posted:

just realised that andy burnham and his ridiculous "bloke labour" project would probably love armstrong

IDK it's only while watching that video back that I think Armstrong is one bad haircut away from being Donald Trump. He even specifically says 'make America great again' in that bit.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

Speaking of which, Tim Loughton has called for a simple amendment to the Civil Partnership Act to revise the first sentence of the bill "A civil partnership is a relationship between two people of the same sex (“civil partners”)—" to remove 'of the same sex', hopefully to be debated October 21st. If that doesn't go anywhere, the equal civil partnerships pressure group have finally got a date for their court case, January 19th/20th 2016.

Why are people still spending time on this? Isn't it now possible for those who wanted to convert their civil partnerships into a literal 'marriage'? If people don't like being in a civil partnership, they should just apply to convert it, rather than piss time and public money up the wall.

Also wikipedia suggests there are some practical reasons to keep slight differences in legal wording for same sex marriages (by whatever name we call them) e.g. removing non-consummation from being grounds for divorce.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 7, 2015

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

thehustler posted:

Yes, but he possibly-killed a man in the Netherlands, where it's 20 years SoL except in special circumstances which I don't know because I'm not a Dutch lawyer.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

It's not exactly life-changing but it's the kind of game I happily played over and over again until my PC exploded. Whether it exploded because the PSU was on the poo poo or because the game was just Too Fun is another matter.

Kojima made your PC explode with his magical brain powers. Or something like that. METAL GEAR!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NANOMACHINES SON

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Probably not, it happened in 1988 so the statute of limitations has almost definitely expired. Unless someone with a lot of money goes "WAIT THAT WAS MY BELOVED FATHER" and goes after him with all he has.

I don't think you can get away with murdering somebody just because it happened in the 80s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

Hopefully it will get about as serious a response as the cannabis one did,

There was a petition to hang people who burn cannabis?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Yes, but he possibly-killed a man in the Netherlands, where it's 20 years SoL except in special circumstances which I don't know because I'm not a Dutch lawyer.

I didn't realise this was in the Netherlands but I don't need to be a lawyer to understand that your Wikipedia article doesn't deal with limiting prosecutions for crimes such as murder in the UK and I doubt the Dutch are any less sensible.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think you can get away with murdering somebody just because it happened in the 80s.

Agreed, it doesn't look like the Limitation Act covers criminal offences - those all look like civil claims to me.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

thehustler posted:

We do! They vary depending on what the crime is, however it's mainly for things like Contracts or Personal Injury claims. Murder, theft and all the other extra "bad" crimes have no time limit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Voluntary manslaughter more likely, assuming he actually killed the man. Again, it depends on whether anyone cares enough to pursue - especially without a body to act on. For all we know it could be a personal delusion. I mean, killers should be brought to justice but I don't think much is going to happen to him. This is hardly going to be worth the Netherlands requesting extradition.

...if this leads to him being extradited and found guilty of murder I will put my hand up and recant in shame.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Why are people still spending time on this? Isn't it now possible for those who wanted to convert their civil partnerships into a literal 'marriage'? If people don't like being in a civil partnership, they should just apply to convert it, rather than piss time and public money up the wall.

Also wikipedia suggests there are some practical reasons to keep slight differences in legal wording for same sex marriages (by whatever name we call them) e.g. removing non-consummation from being grounds for divorce.
Because there are opposite-sex couples that want civil partnerships that are legally barred from having them on the basis of their sexual orientation, which is contrary to the law.

If you're in a same sex relationship, it's legal to have a civil partnership, or a marriage, or to convert your civil partnership to a marriage. If you are in a mixed sex relationship, you only have one choice.

e:

Jedit posted:

There was a petition to hang people who burn cannabis?
There ought to be for people that burn heaps of it in a field or an incinerator. It's inconsiderate and they should stick to burning small amounts of it :350:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 7, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Voluntary manslaughter more likely, assuming he actually killed the man. Again, it depends on whether anyone cares enough to pursue - especially without a body to act on. For all we know it could be a personal delusion. I mean, killers should be brought to justice but I don't think much is going to happen to him. This is hardly going to be worth the Netherlands requesting extradition.

...if this leads to him being extradited and found guilty of murder I will put my hand up and recant in shame.

'Voluntary manslaughter'?

You're talking nonsense.

The point is that admitting to killing somebody is a stupid thing for a supposed 'egg head' to do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pissflaps posted:

'Voluntary manslaughter'?

You're talking nonsense.
The Coroners and Justice Act 2009 created the imperfect defence of "loss of control" for reducing a murder charge to one of voluntary manslaughter, for example if you throw someone in a canal after successfully defending yourself from them, removing the reasonable man part of a self defence justification.

The Netherlands runs under a Civil Law system though, so I'm not sure what their equivalent would be.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Corbyn asked about progress toward an international political agreement on syria and cameron basically called him a terrorist in response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Discussing which form of homicide one would be prosecuted for in the UK after pointing out that the incident occurred in the Netherlands after claiming a statue of limitations would protect him from prosecution is nonsense.

None of us are Dutch lawyers but I'm going to boldly state my opinion that admitting to killing somebody in Holland in 1988 is not a smart thing to do.

• Locked thread