Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
He didn't even really diss LPs. It was a Yakov Smirnoff-level joke in terms of harshness and premise. "What a word!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

those people are really awkward

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Jimmy Kimmel reads youtube comments for 5 straight shows to fill time.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm of the opinion it's because he's being tossed some money by YouTube to promote the service through his humor.

The language he's using when describing YouTube Gaming is always the same with no variation, and the fact that Disney owns both ABC (network Kimmel is on) and Maker Studios is a bit obvious to me.

That or I'm seeing this as a truly cynical person.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

No, actually, that's not a terrible theory. The only issue I have is I don't know that Maker/Disney have a stake in YouTube Gaming which is what prompted his bit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm of the opinion it's because he's being tossed some money by YouTube to promote the service through his humor.

The language he's using when describing YouTube Gaming is always the same with no variation, and the fact that Disney owns both ABC (network Kimmel is on) and Maker Studios is a bit obvious to me.

These people are 18 layers removed in an org chart. There's no way they talked to each other.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

No, actually, that's not a terrible theory. The only issue I have is I don't know that Maker/Disney have a stake in YouTube Gaming which is what prompted his bit.

Well Maker have been partners with YouTube for a long time and I wouldn't doubt they want to have their channels/partners stream via YT, making them money off VODs, than have them use Twitch.

Suspicious Dish posted:

These people are 18 layers removed in an org chart. There's no way they talked to each other.

You'd be surprised. In my experience working for a company similar to Disney, we've worked with the other subsidiaries you wouldn't expect a TV Netowrk to work with. Eg. A movie channel working with Harmonix, when they were under MTV, on a project.

Again, its just a guess and/or cynicism.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 4, 2015

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really don't think it was planned from the beginning but that he/they/whoever saw how it blew up and then capitalized on it.

Edit: I don't doubt that ABC and Maker communicated to organize that last video but I really don't think that they purposefully did something controversial as a catalyst for it. It's less "cynicism" and more "trutherism".

watho fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 4, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm sorry for asking about this here but did Youtube change its layout again?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Not for me, but they might be running an A/B test. Screenshot?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Turns out it's just the subscriptions page.
I can't take a proper picture right now but basically rather than appearing on the side/middle of the screen chronologically, all the videos show up likes this now:

They show up in rows with the newest stuff on the left.
I guess this helps since sometimes new videos just wouldn't show up at all if too many people uploaded consecutively.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't have anything like that, but there's an extension called YouTube Center which implements basically that design. Did you install it and then forget about it?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Nah, this is my work computer with zero add-ons, so it must be a beta test thing.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I have YTC installed and it doesn't give me anything like that.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
It's one of the options, and it's enabled by default for me. General -> Layout -> Grid Subscriptions. I also have a development version installed because anything else is far too old.

Do you have any beta options enabled on https://www.youtube.com/testtube ?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No, I don't have anything enabled there.
I can't even find that settings menu either.
EDIT: So I googled around and yeah this seems like one of those experiments. People reported the presence of a certain cookie doing that and removing it did the trick.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Sep 7, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, our favorite rape screamer PDP is the first person ever to get 10 billion youtube views.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

Welp, our favorite rape screamer PDP is the first person ever to get 10 billion youtube views.

You do know he stopped doing that after people complained about it, right?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Andrast posted:

If he wasn't an idiot he wouldn't have made it a thing in the first place.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
Congrats PewDiePie!

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well, it, could have been worse.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

PewDiePie at least seems to want to better himself, and he has shown some integrity lately so I do respect him for that, but it's pretty hard to forgive him for his past behavior.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd just like to know how did he come to such a groundbreaking realization.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I'd just like to know how did he come to such a groundbreaking realization.

I'm pretty sure that 'Adults React To Pewdiepie' was the catalyst.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

watho posted:

Interesting how he came to that sudden realization right when it started hurting his brand

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

watho posted:

PewDiePie at least seems to want to better himself, and he has shown some integrity lately so I do respect him for that, but it's pretty hard to forgive him for his past behavior.

eh, I said much worse on the playground when I was a kid. I don't blame him for trying to attract that demo like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

watho posted:

It came shortly after that video, so that's likely.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Danaru posted:

Interesting how he came to that sudden realization right when it started hurting his brand

I doubt Adults React To Pewdiepie hurt his brand at all. Much more likely is that he's just privelaged and never realized it before then.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I make rape jokes all the time can someone please give me millions of dollars? I promise to give a couple hundred to charity.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Suspicious Dish posted:

eh, I said much worse on the playground when I was a kid. I don't blame him for trying to attract that demo like that.

Can you blame him for influencing a bunch of kids on the playground who then think it's totally good and okay to make fun of rape?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Saith posted:

Can you blame him for influencing a bunch of kids on the playground who then think it's totally good and okay to make fun of rape?

The answer is yes, never stop blaming him for being terrible.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Of course none of you would dislike pdp for his rape jokes if he were not Internet famous. His actual content is irrelevant. The flaw goons harp on is just convienent to cover up the distaste of someone getting rich and famous off your hobby.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Earnestly posted:

Of course none of you would dislike pdp for his rape jokes if he were not Internet famous. His actual content is irrelevant. The flaw goons harp on is just convienent to cover up the distaste of someone getting rich and famous off your hobby.
Actually, being famous makes him more visible and creates larger waves when people poo poo on him. The reality is that there are hundreds of people we hate, famous or not, making lots of money or not, and it just so happens that people talk about the famous ones more because they're famous. You know, that thing that happens when a lot of people are looking at one person.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Earnestly posted:

Of course none of you would dislike pdp for his rape jokes if he were not Internet famous.

I hate them in pretty much any situation, so no his e-fame has nothing to do with it, other than making it that much worse that he had crowds of kids and whoever else gobbling them up.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Earnestly posted:

That's really insightful of you. I hope that, at some point, I can reach the same level of enlightenment as you have. I never would have guessed that nobody would've cared about a famous person's behavior if they weren't famous. I was certain that goons kept a running tally on everyone who ever made a rape-joke and the revelation that this wasn't true has blown my mind, but I'm glad of it because it means that I'm slightly closer to the euphoric intellect that is you. :jerkbag:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
But you guys also hate Markpelier, who hasn't made any rape jokes either.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I just don't really understand vilifying someone who is obviously privileged/sheltered and didn't understand how bad rape jokes were. After it was pointed out to him he stopped doing it. Like what more do you want?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 7, 2015

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
It seems like PewDiePie gets by far the most hate on the forum, and a lot of it comes across as sour grapes. People bring up him dropping out of college as though they would never have done the same if they knew they'd wind up making $4 million a year and endlessly point out their own obvious morally superior positions by the fact he said rape a lot in his videos and then eventually stopped. Sometimes someone says Markiplier is annoying but it's followed by 2 pages of riveting discussion about how other people have heard that actually he's a nice guy in real life.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

But you guys also hate Markpelier, who hasn't made any rape jokes either.

I don't hate him, I just wish he would use his nice voice better instead of crazy hammed up reactions.

Andrast posted:

I just don't really understand vilifying someone who is obviously privileged/sheltered and didn't understand how bad rape jokes were.

I really doubt he didn't understand, probably more that he just didn't care until a lot more people got on his case about it.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Like, I'm not a fan of what he releases, but I also don't enjoy The Annoying Orange TV Show (airing now on Cartoon Network weeknights at 5pm; 6 central), and I don't go on tirades about how the creator of that is awful. He found a target demographic of teenage kids who laugh at stupid poo poo on the internet and seems to be providing them with entertainment.

I am happy that PewDiePie has made money and fame doing what he loves. I am happy that PewDiePie has finally made video games art.

• Locked thread