Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

None of us are Dutch lawyers

You don't know that. I could be for all you know. And, in fact, I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I knew it

E: you dutch gently caress

Phoon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 7, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Phoon posted:

E: you dutch gently caress

rude

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I think some tory strategists must have decided corbyn is a real danger, especially with public sentiment seeming to turn somewhat on refugees - they're now attempting to whip up as much "bomb syria" sentiment (and hoorays for bombings that happen) as possible so they can use it to attack corbyn as weak/an appeaser if he wins, a classic strategy for right wingers opposing popular lefties

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I hope someone ties a fulton around Cameron's winky.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Guavanaut posted:

Because there are opposite-sex couples that want civil partnerships that are legally barred from having them on the basis of their sexual orientation, which is contrary to the law.

If you're in a same sex relationship, it's legal to have a civil partnership, or a marriage, or to convert your civil partnership to a marriage. If you are in a mixed sex relationship, you only have one choice.

Aaah, gotcha. Thanks for explaining. I do still wonder about how worked up people get about this though - if you're a heterosexual couple just get married like everyone else has been doing since time immemorial. I can't see how it's worth spending lots of your own money trying to bring a court action over it.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
A quick Google makes it seem like the Netherlands used to have a 20 year SoL, but that this was scrapped in 2004, or thereabouts. Daft thing to admit, indeed.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe he made it up so a newspaper would print extracts of his new book

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Aaah, gotcha. Thanks for explaining. I do still wonder about how worked up people get about this though - if you're a heterosexual couple just get married like everyone else has been doing since time immemorial. I can't see how it's worth spending lots of your own money trying to bring a court action over it.
The main objections I've heard is that some couples don't like the history/connotations of marriage, others feel that it's a religious thing and there should be a humanist alternative, and others feel it's discriminatory that you can be banned from a government service because of your sexual orientation, which was made illegal in every other way when the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Act passed.

Scotland are planning to offer equal civil partnerships within the next year without a legal fight, and plenty of other countries already offer it. In the Netherlands about 10% of opposite sex couples opt for a civil union over a marriage (when they're not being shoved into canals by British TV personalities).

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Phoon posted:

I think some tory strategists must have decided corbyn is a real danger, especially with public sentiment seeming to turn somewhat on refugees - they're now attempting to whip up as much "bomb syria" sentiment (and hoorays for bombings that happen) as possible so they can use it to attack corbyn as weak/an appeaser if he wins, a classic strategy for right wingers opposing popular lefties

And on that note; we've killed some British people fighting for IS: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34178998

quote:

Two British Islamic State fighters were killed by an RAF drone strike in Syria in an "act of self-defence", Prime Minister David Cameron has said.

HMMMMM

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Luke 'The Nuke' Akehurst posted:

@susanp_80 @charleyallan do you not get that some of Corbyn's policies are as offensive to me as Iraq was to you e.g. scrapping Trident?

Top quality New Labour crying from a moaning baked bean.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Igiari posted:

A quick Google makes it seem like the Netherlands used to have a 20 year SoL, but that this was scrapped in 2004, or thereabouts. Daft thing to admit, indeed.

Presumably it would still apply to crimes committed before it was scrapped though

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Cooper is ahead of Burnham with the bookies now which is interesting. Can't really explain why, I've not noticed any shift in representation of either of them, their campaigns seem to be exactly the same as they were three or four weeks ago.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Phoon posted:

Corbyn asked about progress toward an international political agreement on syria and cameron basically called him a terrorist in response

PMQ I assume? Timestamp?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

spectralent posted:

PMQ I assume? Timestamp?

PMQs is on Wednesdays mate, get with the program. You can see him asking the question during the Syria statement debate here though https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jeremy-Corbyn/330250343871?fref=nf

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Don't have timestamp read it on the guardian politics live feed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

lmao

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Remember: if The Queen dies tomorrow, she falls one day short of Victoria's all-time record. Which - even though I have nothing against Brenda personally - would be loving hilarious.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Hoops posted:

Cooper is ahead of Burnham with the bookies now which is interesting. Can't really explain why, I've not noticed any shift in representation of either of them, their campaigns seem to be exactly the same as they were three or four weeks ago.

Change in betting patterns quite possibly

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Semprini posted:

Remember: if The Queen dies tomorrow, she falls one day short of Victoria's all-time record. Which - even though I have nothing against Brenda personally - would be loving hilarious.

They will cart her to hospital, plug her into an iron lung, and keep her technically going until Thursday

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's kinda telling that some New Labourite honestly thinks that opposition towards the Iraq war is based on the war somehow being offensive and not based on the war constituting a crime against peace.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
If we ever develop head-in-a-jar technology I'm ok with doing it to Brenda first just to gently caress with Charles. We can even do it to him next so he can be heir apparent forever.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The Queen is loving mental apparently. I have it on good authority that she lost it years ago.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Hoops posted:

She's had a higher profile with regards to the refugee crisis, it might just be a case of increased media coverage.

Bit nervous about the news that half of those eligible to vote in the Labour leadership election have yet to do so, I hope we don't see a repeat of that Simpsons episode and everyone is complacent about a Corbyn win. I did like this snippet at the end though:

quote:

The intervention by Watson comes as the Labour MP Jonathan Reynolds, a supporter of Liz Kendall, said that Corbyn appeared set to win the leadership. Kendall faced embarrassment when Toby Perkins, her campaign manager, said that he had given his second preference vote to Andy Burnham on the grounds that he is more likely than Yvette Cooper to beat Corbyn. Perkins said he was acting in a personal capacity.
Rats, sinking ship etc. Her campaign meetings must be a bit awkward at the moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

The Queen is loving mental apparently. I have it on good authority that she lost it years ago.
Resurrect Prince Pyotr Alexeyevich and give him the job. He must be in line somehow because they're all cousins. Plus sometimes you need a good liquidation manager.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hey I only voted yesterday, I was just procrastinating over the deputies. There's probably a bunch of that happening

But yeah I wouldn't want to see Milibae the Movie 2. #wedidit #milibae *doesn't vote*

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
While erry brit should deffo get angry and rowdy if the vote is rigged for corbyn to lose, I think we can all take small comfort in the idea of Kendall going way-dead last.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Phoon posted:

Don't have timestamp read it on the guardian politics live feed

Went to 4.25 on parliament live. It's pretty obvious Osbourne considers him a joke at least.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

spectralent posted:

Went to 4.25 on parliament live. It's pretty obvious Osbourne considers him a joke at least.

Who, Corbyn or Cameron?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

It doesn't even make sense he asks about an international summit on syria and cameron responds by accusing him of being friends with hezbollah and hamas

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

quote:

Toby Perkins, her campaign manager, said that he had given his second preference vote to Andy Burnham on the grounds that he is more likely than Yvette Cooper to beat Corbyn.
aren't campaign managers supposed to understand how the voting system works

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It doesn't have to make sense. All he has to do is say the line and the papers will call it a brilliant comeback without talking about what it's coming back from.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Prince John posted:

Completely anecdotal, but that may be true. I had a pretty optimistic view of the racism situation in Britain, but when I mentioned that to my Asian friend he told me that he'd been sworn at twice just travelling to see me. Like random people pulling up next to him at lights and shouting "loving Paki".

Pages and pages ago, I know, but I just have to add to this.

As a person of semi-filipino descent who grew up in a small market town in the NE, British casual racism is rampant. For the first 15 years of life I was called everything under the sun. Lived there for 30 years in various regions from small towns all the way up to large cities and it was still just as bad almost everywhere. Worst was probably in Birmingham where a gang of youth followed me around spitting on my trousers and chanting "Paki, paki paki. Out, out, out.". That's closely followed by Newcastle where on an average week, after working at a bar I'd have someone come literally right up to my face and call me a paki, chink, gook or whatever they could think of.

Thankfully I spent the last 8 years of my time in Britain in Brighton, which was like a multi-cultural heaven-on-earth compared to literally everywhere else I've lived in the UK.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
There's a programme on BBC tonight looking at Muslim women's experiences of racism in the UK.
I bet that's going to be a load of laughs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
http://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelgillard/the-queen-is-going-to-be-mightily-pissed-off#.dqD5ERlmvd

Why doesn't this poo poo even remotely surprise me?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34179201

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn attended a conference after the Iraq war that called on Iraqis to engage in "military struggle" against coalition forces, the BBC's Panorama programme has learned.

Some 179 British soldiers, who were part of the coalition, died in Iraq.

Mr Corbyn, who is tipped to be the next Labour leader, attended the event on behalf of the Stop the War Coalition.

Mr Corbyn's team said the conference, in Cairo, had not been organised by Stop the War.

But Panorama has discovered the conference communique was posted on Stop the War's website and remained on if for many years.

The Cairo Conference was organised by an Egyptian anti-war organisation.

Its 2003 conclusions committed the conference to support "resistance against the occupation forces with all legitimate means, including military struggle".

At the time, Jeremy Corbyn was on Stop the War's steering committee.

Panorama asked Mr Corbyn whether he had supported the right of Iraqis to attack British soldiers - in line with the conference statement.

A spokesman for the Labour leadership candidate said Mr Corbyn had been opposed to the Iraq war and to the loss of 179 British soldiers.

The spokesman said the Cairo Conference had been a separate organisation from Stop the War and online publication of its concluding statement did not mean the British-based anti-war campaign had endorsed all of it.

Since he entered Labour's leadership race, Mr Corbyn's foreign policy views and activism have come under intense scrutiny.

Last month, he insisted remarks made in 2009 about Hezbollah and Hamas being his "friends" had been taken out of context.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
All of these things keep turning out to be "Jeremy Corbyn is very open to talking to people he fundamentally disagrees with" and since he's stayed in the Labour party all these years that's hardly surprising.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

kingturnip posted:

There's a programme on BBC tonight looking at Muslim women's experiences of racism in the UK.
I bet that's going to be a load of laughs.
I'm going to be watching the Panorama special on Corbyn, which hopefully won't be poo poo. :unsmith:

Edit: lol gently caress

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

coffeetable posted:

aren't campaign managers supposed to understand how the voting system works

No, he's right from an "anyone but Corbyn" standpoint because more second choice Burnham votes are expected to go to Corbyn than to Cooper than second choice Cooper votes are expected to go to Corbyn than to Burnham.

If you are voting Anyone But Jeremy then you should vote for Burnham, as you need to stop Corbyn picking up sufficient second preference votes to get over the line (assuming he doesn't win in the first round). If Burnham gets knocked out early then Corbyn is more likely to be over this threshold than if Cooper gets knocked out early.

eg.

Let's say that you have 49 voters, with (of the other 48), 24 voting for Corbyn, 12 voting for Cooper and 12 voting for Burnham. You know that all of Cooper's voters' second choices are Burnham, and the Burnham voters are split 50/50 Corbyn/Cooper.

If you vote for Cooper/Burnham/Corbyn (in that order), the following happens:

Round 1

Corbyn 24
Cooper 13
Burnham 12

Round 2

Corbyn 24 + 6 = 30 WINNER
Cooper 13 + 6 = 19 LOSER

If you vote for Burnham/Cooper/Corbyn,

Round 1

Corbyn 24
Burnham 13
Cooper 12

Round 2

Corbyn 24 + 0 = 24 LOSER
Burnham 13 + 12 = 25 WINNER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Guavanaut posted:

There ought to be for people that burn heaps of it in a field or an incinerator. It's inconsiderate and they should stick to burning small amounts of it :350:

It's fine if you do it upwind. That's good sharing.

• Locked thread