Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone have any more information on that redic collector's edition of Twilight Struggle?

I got a copy of it for like 30$ on sale back on Memorial Day, and gave it to my friend to give as an X-Mas present to her brother who is super into board games. Little did I know, it went out of stock everywhere now. I figure that they must be doing a new printing soon, but I figured I would ask about the insanely nice looking CE while at it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's not available to the public yet, but it will be soon. You're looking at a $200 price tag

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Great collection, but where do you put the ludicrously large Twilight Imperium 3 box? :)
If I ever get a copy of TI3 myself, it'll go in the closet with the rest of the collection and big box games like original Mage Wars, Descent 1st Ed., etc. :)

Lord Frisk posted:

Stack that poo poo vertical before you dish every game you own
Dish them? :confused: Typo perhaps?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dish meaning to collapse the top of game boxes into a dish

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
From what I've seen the CE for Twilight Struggle doesn't have double-sided influence tokens. They're coloured on both sides, and you just use a red or blue cube to represent control. That wouldn't be enough for me to cancel a preorder, but it would be pretty annoying.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Played Viceroy for the first time today. That game seems pretty great. It's like Revolution meets a steroided-up Splendor in a tableau builder with 7 Wonders scoring.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
So I'm trying to scan and import the Eminent Domain cards into Tabletop Simulator, but I'm coming up with a problem. I have a 69 card deck of all of the single sided cards made up with a grayscale version of the card back for the hidden card front. Looks great after I finished making it with the Deck Builder program. Problem is trying to get it into the game. Unless there's some way to load the file directly from my computer...which there doesn't seem to be a way, I have to go through an image host. Well, Imgur was fine when I just did the 6 base cards, but once you add the rest; it compresses the image a ton. Makes the cards ugly and hard to read. I mean I still have the test deck of the base cards to directly compare to the new deck and it's really, really bad. So...is there either a way to pull the images from my pc or does anyone know of a better image host?

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

Dish meaning to collapse the top of game boxes into a dish

I'm still not clear what this means

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's when you put a smaller heavy object on a larger box that isnt strong enough to support it. The top of the box caves in.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Merauder posted:

I reorganized my IKEA shelf for a bunch of my games (and a few other things) today. Not everything, but it's most of the larger boxed games. Everybody loves a good game shelf share right??

You need http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39351/automobile to put under your Planes and Trains

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

PlaneGuy posted:

You need http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39351/automobile to put under your Planes and Trains

The joke occurred to me, but I actually didn't know that game existed.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Incorrect! The right answer would be https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180680/automobiles

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Automobile is a bloody great game though

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Codenames is great, buy it and love it.

Exploding Kittens is like Fluxx but slightly more strategic. I'll play it if people want to, but I'm not going out of my way to do so.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.
So in the newest episode of the SUSD podcast they were really talking up the Game of Thrones LCC, to the point where I got excited enough to consider investing in the second edition that's about to come out (even though I hadn't really heard anything about it before now). It sounded especially cool how different the play styles apparently are for the various factions. Does anyone have any experience with the game (with the 1st edition, I guess)? Do you have any thoughts on what it it works well and what doesn't?

Sub-question: if I really decide to blow a bunch of money on a LCC, should I just get Netrunner?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

BeefyTaco posted:

So in the newest episode of the SUSD podcast they were really talking up the Game of Thrones LCC, to the point where I got excited enough to consider investing in the second edition that's about to come out (even though I hadn't really heard anything about it before now). It sounded especially cool how different the play styles apparently are for the various factions. Does anyone have any experience with the game (with the 1st edition, I guess)? Do you have any thoughts on what it it works well and what doesn't?

Sub-question: if I really decide to blow a bunch of money on a LCC, should I just get Netrunner?

I think people are starting to get burned out on LCGs. There is just too many cards after a while, so it is really a crapshoot if people will actually stick with a new game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Netrunner is fantastic, but it requires a LOT of dedication, time, and money to get into it and play with anyone that's familiar with the game.

GoT, however, is the perfect time to start. Everyone that bought/played it at Gencon raved about it and if you like the source material there is a lot to love about the game design.

Personally, I'm jumping off Netrunner and into GoT just because I feel like I'm too far behind to catch up in the former. I don't mean in cards and expansion, but the general meta and community. It would take years to know the game as well as the people in my local scene, and that's if I stopped playing everything else and just played Netrunner weekly.

If I were you, I'd buy a core set of each and play them for a while and see which one sticks for you. If you buy a ton of Netrunner stuff from the start you'll be overwhelmed and have no clue what to do with that many cards or why some are in certain decks, etc.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 7, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeefyTaco posted:

No man get Mage Wars, its what all the cool kids play you don't want to miss out :getin:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BeefyTaco posted:

Well, while the various factions do support different playstyles, it certainly isn't as asymmetrical as Netrunner is. Each faction is still fundamentally doing the same things, albeit with more of an emphasis on one aspect or another depending on which House you're playing.

On the other hand, Game of Thrones supports more than two players at a time, which Netrunner does not.

Finally, Game of Thrones is new and doesn' require nearly as much buy-in as Netrunner does.

So if you're picking between the two, the questions I'd ask myself are:

1) Do I prefer asymmetrical two player gameplay, or a more group style game?

2) Do I have a bunch of gamer friends who aren't currently playing Netrunner and who could be convinced pick up GoT? Or am I more in a position to be looking to join an existing community? Because Netrunner already has a large and well-supported community, but the buy-in to join it is fairly expensive at this point.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Note also that Game of Thrones will have a pretty glacial meta, like Warhammer Conquest does, since each faction is only getting like 2 cards per expansion pack. Hopefully unlike Warhammer Conquest, there won't be a 4-5 month lull in expansions either...

Netrunner is probably the better game overall, but there's a good amount to catch up with.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
While I like netrunner and game of thrones I think I prefer GoT because of it being multiplayer, easier to teach, and easier for new players to have a good time with, and I play with new folks frequently

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wonder if GoT LCG did take off, what would happen to the other ones? FFG has like, what, 5 different LCGs out now? The Star Wars one seemed to kind of just die off, the LotR one is sort of hanging on, Netrunner is Netrunner, and the GoT got rebooted (which does kind of suck for anyone who bought the original).

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

The End posted:

Automobile is a bloody great game though

yeah from the sounds of it, automobile is the better choice. deck-building formula d? what?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jeeves posted:

I wonder if GoT LCG did take off, what would happen to the other ones? FFG has like, what, 5 different LCGs out now? The Star Wars one seemed to kind of just die off, the LotR one is sort of hanging on, Netrunner is Netrunner, and the GoT got rebooted (which does kind of suck for anyone who bought the original).

CoC is pretty much dead, Conquest is still new and is still doing well (?) despite a 5ish month lag between expansions, Netrunner is still going strong, Star Wars may get an injection with the new movies, GoT is super new, LOTR is still the best co-op game not named Space Alert and I don't think they've even gotten to Return of the King yet in their saga expansions.

I'm giving FFG about $40/month for LCGs...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GrandpaPants posted:

:eyepop:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm familiar with Werewolf through the forum game, but I played One Night for the first time yesterday. It's... ok. I dislike traitor games in general, but once the cards start moving around from the robber, drunk, etc. there doesn't seem to be much strategy to it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm not good at lying in games like that.

Codenames, however, is stellar. My only regret is that I probably won't get it to the table as often as I'd like to.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

You're doing it wrong, at that point you may as well just play Magic.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

BeefyTaco posted:

Haven't played Netrunner so no comment on that but Conquest and the LOTR LCG are great as well. Different styles though.

What I like about the LOTR, Netrunner and GOT games is how they combined the theme with the gameplay mechanics. Stuff like being able to sacrifice Boromir to do damage to an enemy (recall the end of the first movie), the way EVERYTHING works in Netrunner or how the Night's Watch can steal money from other players as a meager tribute, or how Ned Stark is poo poo at intrigue.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rutibex posted:

All the guys I know that play MtG are spending well over $100 a month, for much less stuff, and a shittier game.

BeefyTaco
Nov 29, 2007

Squirtle, you cannot use fire. You are a water pokemon.

jng2058 posted:

1) Do I prefer asymmetrical two player gameplay, or a more group style game?

2) Do I have a bunch of gamer friends who aren't currently playing Netrunner and who could be convinced pick up GoT? Or am I more in a position to be looking to join an existing community? Because Netrunner already has a large and well-supported community, but the buy-in to join it is fairly expensive at this point.

Thank you, that's a good way to look at it. The current ease of access, as well as the multi-player support, would both be huge bonuses in my group. (Plus, we're all really into the theme :) )

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

sector_corrector posted:

I'm familiar with Werewolf through the forum game, but I played One Night for the first time yesterday. It's... ok. I dislike traitor games in general, but once the cards start moving around from the robber, drunk, etc. there doesn't seem to be much strategy to it. I guess it doesn't help that I'm not good at lying in games like that.

From someone who plays a lot of ONUW (and a decent amount of regular Werewolf at big get traditional get togethers), there's definitely some strategy lost with certain roles in One Night, but I think it's manageable by avoiding certain roles. The Drunk is a role I usually avoid playing with, as well as the Troublemaker, and a couple others. With the Daybreak expansion there's enough variety though that there's plenty of roles that don't change the board state completely blind and manage to keep the ability to lie/deduce things actually interesting.

The Drunk can be okay with the Seer/Apprentice Seer/Mystic Wolf all in play (since there's a good chance that someone will look at each of the center cards, and have knowledge of what the Drunk becomes, but even still, the Drunk player is totally in the dark and it's a crapshoot how he should be playing the day-phase). The Troublemaker is often seen as a staple with the base game, but I've taken to playing without it more often than not and am glad for it. Too often the TM would happen to swap a Werewolf with a non-WW and when it comes out that they were swapped, the former WW can just go "Oh, well I was a werewolf and now I'm not, so it's obviously so-and-so now", and the games just kind of grind to a "oh...welp, vote now I guess?" kind of uninteresting halt. There's a smart way to play Troublemaker which is to lie about who you swapped to try to bait admission of roles and then turn it around on people, but once that's established in a meta and expected, it falls a bit flat still sometimes.

I think people should try a good mix of different roles, including cutting out stuff they assume as mandatory (like Seer, or TM, varying amounts of Villagers, etc.) from time to time to see how things change. Only other suggestion I have is to never NOT play with the Tanner or Minion (or both with a larger game), since they add a good defense to players, and often keep things from ever being 100% solved since even if someone is acting shady/clearly lying, they're not immediately guilty/someone you want to kill.

Rutibex posted:

Doesn't even compare. As Bottom Liner already said, to the majority of regular MtG players I know (and myself being someone who used to be balls-deep in another TCG), $40/mo is a steal. I tell people the same basic argument about LCGs in general. When I picked up 3x GoT 2nd Ed at GenCon this year people were balking at the cost of entry, and then I reminded them how much it cost me to play WoW competitively back in the day, and they go "Well, I guess that's true, you're still spending infinitely less".

Merauder fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 7, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sector_corrector posted:

Lying is the strategy, or at least half of it. The werewolves lie by default, the Tanner lies and hopes to get caught, the village power roles lie about what they did to try and trap people into revealing too much. Occasionally someone will tell the truth, but it's usually a meta play because everyone expects them to lie.

The other half of the strategy is making sure of what side you're on before putting forth your killer play that confirms a Werewolf.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Two things I love about the Lord of the Rings LCG is that it plays well as a single player game, and the multiplayer is cooperative so your purchase decisions are not driven by keeping up with the new meta of what all your opponents are bringing to the table.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

I'm looking forward to trying this one out for sure.

Though in my picture, I enjoy the idea of taking the iconic phrase and changing it to "Planes, Trains and Alchemists".

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

canyoneer posted:

Two things I love about the Lord of the Rings LCG is that it plays well as a single player game, and the multiplayer is cooperative so your purchase decisions are not driven by keeping up with the new meta of what all your opponents are bringing to the table.

Totally. Plus the design team is pretty open and engaged with the community - even a podcast as niche as Cardboard of the Rings gets BOTH of the main designers for 3+ hours bullshitting around.

On that note, has anyone here checked out Gloomhaven? I've been following the dev's blogpost and it's interesting because he loves the idea of a coop dungeon crawler but hates how dice are basically part of the genre at this point, so his game uses a stack of cards to resolve combat. You either have a 0, +1, -1, x2 or Miss cards. Part of the character progression is both getting new skill cards and items, and being able to modify your combat resolution stack to include less -1s, more +1s, etc. I think it's pretty neat.

I think it's the same guy from Forge Wars or whatever that game about forging and adventuring is.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jedit posted:

Lying is the strategy, or at least half of it. The werewolves lie by default, the Tanner lies and hopes to get caught, the village power roles lie about what they did to try and trap people into revealing too much. Occasionally someone will tell the truth, but it's usually a meta play because everyone expects them to lie.

The other half of the strategy is making sure of what side you're on before putting forth your killer play that confirms a Werewolf.

Yeah, I'm familiar with it from playing various online iterations. I think we had a bad role setup (although it may have been the recommended starter set), and there was a lot of random movement. The voting often came down to "well, who knows for sure, I guess let's go with that person." The only time it got tense was when W/W/Minion attempted a coup against the villagers, and the seer was doing a bad job at selling her actual knowledge (although the Werewolves also weren't doing a great job, so the rest of the villagers saw through the ploy). Like I said, traitor games aren't really my thing.

Edit: One thing that I don't like at all, but I may be in the minority on, is that there's a lot of outside information in movement and audio cues. A few times someone's chair creaked when they got called as the seer or whatever. An entirely in-app version of the game would solve that, I think.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 7, 2015

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Merauder posted:

From someone who plays a lot of ONUW (and a decent amount of regular Werewolf at big get traditional get togethers), there's definitely some strategy lost with certain roles in One Night, but I think it's manageable by avoiding certain roles. The Drunk is a role I usually avoid playing with, as well as the Troublemaker, and a couple others. With the Daybreak expansion there's enough variety though that there's plenty of roles that don't change the board state completely blind and manage to keep the ability to lie/deduce things actually interesting.

The Drunk can be okay with the Seer/Apprentice Seer/Mystic Wolf all in play (since there's a good chance that someone will look at each of the center cards, and have knowledge of what the Drunk becomes, but even still, the Drunk player is totally in the dark and it's a crapshoot how he should be playing the day-phase). The Troublemaker is often seen as a staple with the base game, but I've taken to playing without it more often than not and am glad for it. Too often the TM would happen to swap a Werewolf with a non-WW and when it comes out that they were swapped, the former WW can just go "Oh, well I was a werewolf and now I'm not, so it's obviously so-and-so now", and the games just kind of grind to a "oh...welp, vote now I guess?" kind of uninteresting halt. There's a smart way to play Troublemaker which is to lie about who you swapped to try to bait admission of roles and then turn it around on people, but once that's established in a meta and expected, it falls a bit flat still sometimes.

I think people should try a good mix of different roles, including cutting out stuff they assume as mandatory (like Seer, or TM, varying amounts of Villagers, etc.) from time to time to see how things change. Only other suggestion I have is to never NOT play with the Tanner or Minion (or both with a larger game), since they add a good defense to players, and often keep things from ever being 100% solved since even if someone is acting shady/clearly lying, they're not immediately guilty/someone you want to kill.

All this is real good advice. The only other thing I advise is to always play with about half the time you'd instinctively want. Given infinite time, it's usually pretty easy to figure out who the werewolf is--either that or the gamestate's just hosed by something nobody could know like a bad Drunk draw. Ideally you want the timer to run out JUST as the info needed to unravel the puzzle comes out, but before everyone really has time to work it out in their heads. It also gives the werewolves the ability to stall out discussion with "helpful" derailments, which is a fun tightrope to walk.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Troublemaker is a great role as long as your group doesn't get stuck in the meta of "Troublemaker always tells the truth so if I was a Werewolf and Troublemaker says I got swapped with this non-wolf I should immediately spill the beans" but to be fair that's a very easy meta to get stuck in, even if the Troublemaker can get more info for the village team by occasionally (not in every round) lying. But then a lot of groups are stuck in the meta of "never trust liars" even when the troublemaker has good reasons to lie occasionally.

The greatest thing about ONUW is it's easy to take out roles that don't work for your group, and replace them with something that does work, or just to shake up the metagame.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, we also ended up playing Smashup. I enjoyed it because of the group, but playing 4 handed solidified a lot of what I don't like about it:

> lovely win mechanics that encourage a lot of gently caress the leader, while also making the endgame a slog.
> Getting stuck with certain combos is essentially auto-lose.
> "Gotcha!" cards that just loving suck.
> Finding optimal strategies within combos is sort of fun, but the lack of any meaningful deck construction makes it seem very, very random.

Given all that I can't say that I hate it, but I'm sort of dreading playing it a lot, because my group seems to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

Azran posted:

Totally. Plus the design team is pretty open and engaged with the community - even a podcast as niche as Cardboard of the Rings gets BOTH of the main designers for 3+ hours bullshitting around.

On that note, has anyone here checked out Gloomhaven? I've been following the dev's blogpost and it's interesting because he loves the idea of a coop dungeon crawler but hates how dice are basically part of the genre at this point, so his game uses a stack of cards to resolve combat. You either have a 0, +1, -1, x2 or Miss cards. Part of the character progression is both getting new skill cards and items, and being able to modify your combat resolution stack to include less -1s, more +1s, etc. I think it's pretty neat.

I think it's the same guy from Forge Wars or whatever that game about forging and adventuring is.

The stuff I've seen of this has me pretty excited. It has a lot of mechanics I like, the fatigue / hand management looks like it will make things a lot more tense and puzzly than just "try not to die in a dungeon", and I love the idea of unlocking "secret" classes via achievement.

Nothing is particularly new, but it looks like they've gathered a bunch of their favorite mechanics from their favorite games that happen to line up with my favorites: Mage Knight, Malifaux, ToME (a PC Roguelike), anything-Legacy - and the question comes down to "will they all mesh as a whole". Based on the playthroughs they seem to know what they're doing.