Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I think re: Seattle, the thing to glean there is that you should never waste a pick outside of the last two rounds on a defense. As far as Washington goes, they
were a special kind of bad last year, and even then, divisional games throw all convention out of the window, so I'm going to say that the Giants may be an outlier.

If you look at what made Philly a good defense last year: an offense that can sustain drives, an NFL-high 36 turnovers, and a great return game.

If you look at the Vikings this year, with their (better than Philly) pass rush, revamped 2nd level, and Patterson/Sherels/Diggs return game; they actually share a lot of characteristics with last-year's Philly team, with the added benefit of actually being good at stopping other teams (14th in Y/G, compared to 28th for PHI; 7th in passing defense; 5th in sacks; 4th in INT) they could very easily be this year's surprise #1 fantasy D save for maybe three games: vs. GB, on the road in CHI (though I remain unconvinced about CHI's prospects against this new MIN D), and on the road vs. DET. They also get ARI on a Thursday game (Palmer is going to get sacked 4+ times) and the Bears at home for the first two weeks of the playoffs (could be a non-start again the Giants in championship week, but they could give up 28 points and still come out on top if Eli is funsligning and they can grab a few INT).

If they play up to potential, DEN week 4 and GB week 11 are the only absolute benchable games. You can make an argument for KC in week 6 if their run D isn't strong again, but I don't see Smith having too much success against them and the Vikings will be coming off of a bye. Same goes for @ ATL on week 12, but looking at ATL's schedule, that might be the toughest defense they face all season.

There will be significantly better streamable options than Minnesota vs Detroit, SD, Denver, KC, Detroit, Chicago (probably, but I think you're right that Chicago will be bad), GB, Atlanta, Seattle, and Arizona. I don't think you should bank on any team having the kind of production as the Eagles had last year, as it seems too flukey to count on (though Philly kept it up for a long time so I know flukey isn't exactly the right word for it!).

Anyway, my point at listing individual games where bad offenses gave up big games was to show that they weren't bad offenses because they got beat up by good defenses exclusively, and fared ok against bad defenses. Bad offenses gave up big games to all kinds of opposing DSTs. When I said the average points against Jax, Washington, and St. Louis was so much higher than whatever good defenses' average scoring was, you could have countered by saying maybe the good defenses pounded them for tons of points. But that wasn't the case. Bad offenses gave up fantastic weeks to bad defenses.

Dandy Kaiser posted:

As far as the Colts and Cowboys go, the game scripts could've predicted those. You know that Luck/Romo would have them up early forcing one of the most disfucntional passing offenses and questionable O-Lines to have to air it out for 45 minutes. I don't think correlation equals causation there, either.

This is the entire point, haha. Of course the Colts and Cowboys DSTs didn't score well because they had good real life defenses, they scored well because the quality of the real life defense is not the biggest factor in determining DST scoring! :) I am not arguing they have good real life defenses because their DSTs score well. I'm arguing that bad real life defenses can be great DST plays all the time.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So after giving up on Perriman a few days ago, I picked him back up and dropped Kyle Rudolph.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

ZIGfried posted:

I drafted Antonio Gates and need a TE for the first four weeks. Should Gates be the drop or what are people thinking he'll do when he's back.

keep gates. despite his age he'll still get a lot of redzone looks.

you could be like me and draft julius thomas AND gates (knowing gates was suspended) :negative:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

I should probably start Sam Bradford over Cam Newton at least the first week or two right?

Bradford has a ton of really nice games this year, especially in the first half. I'd plan on starting him over Newton most of the time, honestly.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Bellmaker posted:

Need to pick up a kicker. Drop Decker or Quick? 0.5 PPR

Test the waters to see if you can trade Quick or Decker plus another player to upgrade at a position. If you drop Quick, he will get snapped up by another team guaranteed, may as well see if you can get some value out of him before dropping.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

MacheteZombie posted:

So after giving up on Perriman a few days ago, I picked him back up and dropped Kyle Rudolph.

Sprained PCLs have a recovery time of 2-6 weeks, usually, and Perriman got hurt on July 31. So there's a chance he could be healthy week 1 (though without reps, I can't imagine that he'll be particularly effective, and may not even play the majority of snaps that game).

Still think he finishes top 5 among ppr rookies though. Smith can carry the load for a while but Perriman was drafted to be the WR1, and a sprained PCL a month and a half before the season starts isn't a reason to think he' can't be.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

I'm all about streaming defenses and not looking into the tea leaves too much, but when you have a team with that perfect storm of variables and a juicy week one matchup, they're going to be on my radar 10/10 times. I do think that you're reading a little too far into the effect of a "bad defense vs. bad offense" narrative. Some of those teams that you're citing as being "bad" actually put up some very viable fantasy seasons. TB was #3 in sacks last year, #2 in INT, and #5 in FF; Dallas was #2 in turnovers; Indy was #1 in FF and FRec and #11 in passing (which is really impressive considering they should for all intents and purposes have been playing in a ton of shootouts); St Louis was a top-half defense in rushing and PTS/G and #8 in sacks.

Sure a bad defense could do well against a poor offense, but my original point of the fact that they're just as likely to not do well is reason enough to avoid those matchups in all but the biggest of leagues.

I would really need to see more than just one year's of evidence to claim that it's a viable strategy, put past anecdotal evidence seems that it's a dart-throw at best to start a bottom-third defense against one of the 3 worst offenses.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
I drafted the Colts D because of that soft opening schedule, but Carolina is sitting on the waiver wire with a matchup against Jacksonville and then Houston. They're also the better real life defense - should I make the swap and then just reevaluate come Week 3? The Colts might still be there for me to pick up again.

On another note, I've got to drop someone for a kicker in my 14 team, 2 flex, 0.5 PPR, 0.125 pts/yard rushing league (plus a point for every rushing first down).

QB: Peyton
RB: CJA, Ingram, Hyde, Sankey, David Johnson
WR: Cobb, Allen Robinson, Garcon, Coleman, Baldwin
TE: Eifert

Loaded up on RBs due to the inflated scoring, but I'm thinking either Sankey or Baldwin. Can't see myself ever being comfortable starting Sankey. Who's the drop?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I have the Panthers defense because of those first two games. I'd go with them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Sprained PCLs have a recovery time of 2-6 weeks, usually, and Perriman got hurt on July 31. So there's a chance he could be healthy week 1 (though without reps, I can't imagine that he'll be particularly effective, and may not even play the majority of snaps that game).

Still think he finishes top 5 among ppr rookies though. Smith can carry the load for a while but Perriman was drafted to be the WR1, and a sprained PCL a month and a half before the season starts isn't a reason to think he' can't be.

Thanks for the re-assurance.

By Dropping Rudolph I'm left with Martellus. Am I over thinking trying to find an upgrade/TE2 to roster? I'm not a fan of the Bears, but Martellus has been good for fantasy.

Top Available according to FantasyPros:

Larry Donnell, NYG
Heath Miller, PIT
Owen Daniels, DEN
Kyle Rudolph, MIN
Ladarius Green, SD

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Gobias Ind. posted:

I drafted the Colts D because of that soft opening schedule, but Carolina is sitting on the waiver wire with a matchup against Jacksonville and then Houston. They're also the better real life defense - should I make the swap and then just reevaluate come Week 3? The Colts might still be there for me to pick up again.

On another note, I've got to drop someone for a kicker in my 14 team, 2 flex, 0.5 PPR, 0.125 pts/yard rushing league (plus a point for every rushing first down).

Loaded up on RBs due to the inflated scoring, but I'm thinking either Sankey or Baldwin. Can't see myself ever being comfortable starting Sankey. Who's the drop?

Find a really RB needy team. There are bound to be some in a 14 teamer. Offer Sankey plus A WR to try and upgrade one of your WRs. Its not a great time to sell Sankey but you may find somebody desperate enough for RBs.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Some of those teams that you're citing as being "bad" actually put up some very viable fantasy seasons. TB was #3 in sacks last year, #2 in INT, and #5 in FF; Dallas was #2 in turnovers; Indy was #1 in FF and FRec and #11 in passing (which is really impressive considering they should for all intents and purposes have been playing in a ton of shootouts); St Louis was a top-half defense in rushing and PTS/G and #8 in sacks.

I cited them as bad because they're bad real life defenses, and you said you should not start a bad real life defense. If that wasn't what you meant, then I think we're in total agreement. And like I said, I definitely agree Minnesota against SF week 1 is juicier than Indy against Buffalo, Indy just won't be a bad play either.

Gobias Ind. posted:

I'd prefer Carolina to Indy week 1 and likely week 2, but weeks 3 and 4 Colts should be one of the top options. It's probably worth dropping Indy and hoping to pick them up then, though. Definitely drop Baldwin.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Patriots signed WR Kenbrell Thompkins to their practice squad.

this is the year for kenbrell thompkins

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MacheteZombie posted:

By Dropping Rudolph I'm left with Martellus. Am I over thinking trying to find an upgrade/TE2 to roster? I'm not a fan of the Bears, but Martellus has been good for fantasy.

Larry Donnell, NYG
Heath Miller, PIT
Owen Daniels, DEN
Kyle Rudolph, MIN
Ladarius Green, SD

Bennett is better than all those options. He'll put up points this season. Only one of those options that comes close is Daniels because of the Kubiak factor and Peyton likes to throw to TEs. I'm not sold as he's burned me many times. He can't stay healthy.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

MacheteZombie posted:

Larry Donnell, NYG
Heath Miller, PIT
Owen Daniels, DEN
Kyle Rudolph, MIN
Ladarius Green, SD
It is impossible to look at the black unicorn and those TE's and say confidently that any one of them is going to have a significantly better season than the others. They are all firmly in the TD dependent category and that is hard to predict. The things that jumps out at me is that the Steelers have no LeVeon Bell or Martavius Bryant when they play the Patriots and then Niners in the first 2 weeks, so Miller could see a lot of targets and have as good a chance at TDs as he will get all year. I wouldn't roster another TE as Martellus has at least a good a chance at those guys for TDs and probably better chance for yards if Alshon can't get healthy.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Poonerman posted:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3m
Patriots signed WR Kenbrell Thompkins to their practice squad.

this is the year for kenbrell thompkins

I was so happy for him after the TD catch against the Saints a couple years ago, even had him in my lineup that week! Shame he hasn't done much since then, but still, not bad for a UDFA.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

RVProfootballer posted:

There will be significantly better streamable options than Minnesota vs Detroit, SD, Denver, KC, Detroit, Chicago (probably, but I think you're right that Chicago will be bad), GB, Atlanta, Seattle, and Arizona. I don't think you should bank on any team having the kind of production as the Eagles had last year, as it seems too flukey to count on (though Philly kept it up for a long time so I know flukey isn't exactly the right word for it!).
A bad defense is a bad defense, and TD's are too random to base your defense selection on. If you kept the Eagles DST in your lineup after their 26 point game against Carolina even though they played GB next week, you were rightly punished when you got 1 point from them as they were blown out.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Forever_Peace posted:

The latest word is that he'll be out until October.

Even if he comes back earlier, extremely raw rookie who had zero training camp throws up so many red flags I can't even be bothered with Perriman this year.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Titans are working out Jonas Gray, lol.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

VietCampo posted:

Titans are working out Jonas Gray, lol.

God loving dammit

Butter Hole
Dec 8, 2011

My TE is ertz--should i drop doug baldwin to get gates or thomas off waivers?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Butter Hole posted:

My TE is ertz--should i drop doug baldwin to get gates or thomas off waivers?

Drop Ertz for another TE. He won't play week 1.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Metapod posted:

God loving dammit

get wrecked

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Benne posted:

The latest word is that he'll be out until October.

Even if he comes back earlier, extremely raw rookie who had zero training camp throws up so many red flags I can't even be bothered with Perriman this year.

I've seen 4 different pieces of pertinent info here. On overall recovery time, Jene Bramel said 2-6 weeks, while a bunch of other sports writers that don't have medical degrees have been using a 6-8 week timetable. And on return date, a local beat writer in Baltimore said October return, while Harbough on the same day said week 1 was a possibility (not likely imo). Put that all in a big stew of hot messy speculation, and I'd say week 2-3 return is probable.

Missing 1-2 weeks is not a good reason to fade a guy three full rounds (Perriman was going mid 9th not three weeks ago), much less take him off your board entirely. I would easily take Perriman over low ceiling snooze fests like Garcon, Torrey, and Crabtree.

I mean, over the past two weeks he's been frequently going behind Reggie Wayne and Montgomery. What?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Who do I pick up to replace D. Cobb? Matt Jones or Denard Robinson?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Matt Jones.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Forever_Peace posted:

I've seen 4 different pieces of pertinent info here. On overall recovery time, Jene Bramel said 2-6 weeks, while a bunch of other sports writers that don't have medical degrees have been using a 6-8 week timetable. And on return date, a local beat writer in Baltimore said October return, while Harbough on the same day said week 1 was a possibility (not likely imo). Put that all in a big stew of hot messy speculation, and I'd say week 2-3 return is probable.

Missing 1-2 weeks is not a good reason to fade a guy three full rounds (Perriman was going mid 9th not three weeks ago), much less take him off your board entirely. I would easily take Perriman over low ceiling snooze fests like Garcon, Torrey, and Crabtree.

I mean, over the past two weeks he's been frequently going behind Reggie Wayne and Montgomery. What?

I'm just not a fan of Perriman, in real life or fantasy.

Anyway, Ron Rivera gonna Ron Rivera

quote:

Kelli Bartik
‏@KelliBartik

Rivera says his starting receivers are Teddy Ginn & Corey Brown #Panthers

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Benne posted:

I'm just not a fan of Perriman, in real life or fantasy.

That's fair. What in particular concerns you? There wasn't a first round receiver in the NFL Draft this year that landed in a better position, and at first glance he has all the skills, college production, and measurables you'd want to see in a receiver...

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Benne posted:

Anyway, Ron Rivera gonna Ron Rivera

One of those guys is gonna be a sneaky WR4 play in 14+ team return yards leagues

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Have I said I hate my team? Because I hate my team

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Holy poo poo someone just accepted my trade offer! I give Brees, I get Brandin Cooks. I already have Wilson so I just wanted to get rid of brees, and I can definitely use a solid WR. Feels like I can out on top but goon validation is always nice. How'd I do?!

Probably gonna put cooks in my flex with OBJ + Matthews at WR. Points galore (I hope)! I also have Bradford if he happens to.. not die the first time he gets hit. :ohdear:

(Edit: I should say that this is a standard child's play 8 team league so QB's are pretty readily available. WR's, not so much.)

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 7, 2015

Axl Rose
Apr 29, 2013
Tried to wait and grab Heath Miller in my 14 man league last night, but someone took him two spots ahead of me (as a backup to Greg loving Olsen, drat it).

Pickings are super slim, but who do you dislike the least out of: Charles Clay, Ben Watson, Jared Cook or Josh Hill (who I currently own)?

I also considered grabbing Clay Harbor for a few weeks and hoping someone drops their backup TE. Who the gently caress drafts a backup TE anyway?

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
ESPN went screwy on me while I was drafting and I ended up Carolina's and the Jets' DST. While the Jets would only be playable week 1, I'm tempted to keep them for that home matchup against the Browns. I feel like the Browns are going to be a good streaming D target this season with McCown at the helm and poo poo for offensive talent.

I also get the impression that JAX isn't going to be the streaming D target they were last year. While I didn't see any of their preseason, it sounds like Bortles has made pretty big strides this offseason in regards to not taking sacks and throwing better, making better throwing decisions, and throwing less picks, etc. Their receivers are healthy, they got a better back, and the offense should be improved (especially when Orange Julius returns).

I don't really know where I'm going with this. Will someone back me up in dropping CAR and keeping NYJ?

And who would you grab off the WW: Perriman or Marvin Jones?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

zeldadude posted:

Holy poo poo someone just accepted my trade offer! I give Brees, I get Brandin Cooks. I already have Wilson so I just wanted to get rid of brees, and I can definitely use a solid WR. Feels like I can out on top but goon validation is always nice. How'd I do?!

Probably gonna put cooks in my flex with OBJ + Matthews at WR. Points galore (I hope)! I also have Bradford if he happens to.. not die the first time he gets hit. :ohdear:

(Edit: I should say that this is a standard child's play 8 team league so QB's are pretty readily available. WR's, not so much.)

was that guy's qb situation a disaster or something?

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Better end-of-bench lottery ticket in 1 PPR: Perriman or DeVante Parker?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

zeldadude posted:

Congrats, you robbed him blind :)

Axl Rose posted:

Tried to wait and grab Heath Miller in my 14 man league last night, but someone took him two spots ahead of me (as a backup to Greg loving Olsen, drat it).

Pickings are super slim, but who do you dislike the least out of: Charles Clay, Ben Watson, Jared Cook or Josh Hill (who I currently own)?

I also considered grabbing Clay Harbor for a few weeks and hoping someone drops their backup TE. Who the gently caress drafts a backup TE anyway?

Charles Clay easily has the highest floor and ceiling of those options. Hill and Watson will be a timeshare, Cook is awful, and Clay has at least been a quality fantasy TE before, was paid a ton, and should be the 2nd or 3rd option in the (admittedly poor) passing game behind Watkins and McCoy (when he's healthy).

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I don't really know where I'm going with this. Will someone back me up in dropping CAR and keeping NYJ?

And who would you grab off the WW: Perriman or Marvin Jones?

I think these two DSTs will end up being pretty close week 1. Jags are still going to have trouble scoring TDs, Yeldon has not impressed a whole lot in the preseason, and they're still going to give up a lot of sacks. But the Browns should definitely be more of a trainwreck. Josh McCown is going to be worse than Bortles, in any case. If you're feeling NYJ, I think you should go with them.

Perriman has a lot more upside than Jones. Jones isn't going to be fantasy relevant, whereas Perriman at least can be once he gets healthy and starts getting a lot of volume.

Chimeric posted:

I guess you have to go with Perriman here, but not feel great about it. There's a ton of targets up for grabs in Baltimore, which is not at all the case for Parker. But Parker's healthy now and will not drop every third ball thrown to him, and when it comes down to it, only Landry seems really assured of a lot of targets. But I don't think he's going to come close to seeing as many targets as Perriman.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 7, 2015

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Chimeric posted:

I'd say Parker because although they are just about equal physically and Perriman theoretically has more opportunity for targets, Parker is a better player and much closer to playing than Perriman.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

TubeStank posted:

was that guy's qb situation a disaster or something?

He had Matt Ryan :shrug: I put in the trade comments "straight upgrade at QB for you and all you lose is a player on your bench! We both win!" Guess it worked lolll

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
Vikes are fine against SF for Week 1, but then face a gauntlet: DET, SD, DEN, bye.
They should be OK against KC in week 6
Avoid after that: DET, CHI
Fine against STL, OAK

you get the idea.

Either way, I'm rolling with the Chiefs to start the season but will be dropping them right after as they face nearly the same meatgrinder that MIN does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All Browns DST all the time IMO

• Locked thread