Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Ending up working from 4am to 10pm this week and havent had much time to modular but I got a full day of it today

https://soundcloud.com/downpour/modular-jam
:
it's 50/50 modular, should be obvious which is which. shruthi too.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Mr. Sharps posted:

Didja already check the jumpers on the back?

FIXED. Thanks for the advice.

Mr. Glass posted:

or you could just buy/build your own breakout panel for the jumpers, since having to pull the module out to access them is a huge pain

Nope ZERO room in the case. And don't go pushing me to expand either, you bastard!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Verdict: the EMX-1 owns, for a dated piece of kit.

Literally an hour after unboxing it, I had figured it out and was making as least passable patterns. Had a little fun with it:

Not saying it's a good track, that's just me fiddling with knobs for a minute using some simple patterns I keyed in.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

COOL CORN posted:

Literally an hour after unboxing it, I had figured it out and was making as least passable patterns. Had a little fun with it:

Not saying it's a good track, that's just me fiddling with knobs for a minute using some simple patterns I keyed in.

Pretty cool. Been thinking of getting the ESX-1 myself instead of the Machinedrum. Have you tried switching out the vacuum tubes and seeing if the tone changes for better or worse?

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Cleaner posted:

FIXED. Thanks for the advice.

Cool glad to hear it's worked out.

Unrelated here's the last thing I did (besides random periscoped jams for people on the internet)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeM6eUtF4rw

Time to put together an album I guess.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Has anyone used VASTProgrammer with their K2x00? If so, discuss. If not, it's surprisingly easy to get working (all things considered), and you should do it. I'm finally going to get around to exploring my k2500rs properly.

If the Windows 7 bug has kept you from trying it just open regedit and change the user perms on "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\JavaSoft\Prefs" to "full access" and it will work.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

COOL CORN posted:

I still miss mine (stolen); was hoping that once the new one was out ebay prices would drop on them but because of the crap Canadian dollar it'd cost me almost as much as (or even more than) the new one right now with shipping and import duties.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Mr. Sharps posted:

You totally should. Just realized I've been subscribed and following you on YouTube for like a year, completely unrelated to these forums.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Mr. Sharps posted:

:swoon:

I'm in love with this.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

stillvisions posted:

I still miss mine (stolen); was hoping that once the new one was out ebay prices would drop on them but because of the crap Canadian dollar it'd cost me almost as much as (or even more than) the new one right now with shipping and import duties.

I just sold mine last week. I like it. I just plain wasn't using it. What's worse is that I sold it to someone who smoked and had a dirty house :/

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I just sold mine last week. I like it. I just plain wasn't using it. What's worse is that I sold it to someone who smoked and had a dirty house :/

I used to smoke and I have a dirty house, yet all my gear still works. Quit being so superficial.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Sizone posted:

I used to smoke and I have a dirty house, yet all my gear still works. Quit being so superficial.

Did you use ashtrays because he did not use ashtrays and just tapped his cigarette all over the floor.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Did you use ashtrays because he did not use ashtrays and just tapped his cigarette all over the floor.

Of course I used ashtrays. I'm not some animal.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

Bet I ended up with your Micron. It had to go outside for a while. Unfiltered Camels?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

0dB posted:

Bet I ended up with your Micron. It had to go outside for a while. Unfiltered Camels?

Never owned a micron. My dad used to smoke Camel straights though. There's probably a Matrix-6 out there somewhere with a faint aroma of Nat Shermans I'll claim responsibility for.

Speaking of which, I think it's time for a reposting of the subconscious studios gear sale for one hashish stained prophet 5.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

Sizone posted:

I think it's time for a reposting of the subconscious studios gear sale for one hashish stained prophet 5.

You could probably scrape that thing and get a small bowl of resin

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I'm still loving the Volca Keys, gotten so much fun out of it. I should buy a couple more of em. This is how it starts isn't it :ohdear:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The Cleaner posted:

You could probably scrape that thing and get a small bowl of resin

I've been looking for pics of what you guys are referring to, or even a post, but my google-fu is weak and I cant find it.

Also I'm considering building a preenfm2, but I've never built anything electronic before. I wonder if it would be too hard for a starter build?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

Also I'm considering building a preenfm2, but I've never built anything electronic before. I wonder if it would be too hard for a starter build?

Just looked at the build guide and it seems straightforward enough. if you've never soldered a pcb before you might want to get a smaller kit to practice on first (maybe something like this) just so the stakes are lower until you get the hang of it. if you're not risk-averse, though, i'd say just go for it, it looks a lot simpler than most other synth diy projects (like the audiothingies p6)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

snorch posted:

I'm still loving the Volca Keys, gotten so much fun out of it. I should buy a couple more of em. This is how it starts isn't it :ohdear:

I love that little box.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I have a bad feeling I need to pony up for Midi Quest to get the most out of my D-50. Please kill me.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I have a bad feeling I need to pony up for Midi Quest to get the most out of my D-50. Please kill me.

http://www.d50librarian.co.uk/
?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Unless Tayter's got a Mac.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

VoodooXT posted:

Unless Tayter's got a Mac.

Mono runs on Mac and supports .Net 2.0, which seems to be all that D50 Librarian requires. Worth a shot?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Mono doesn't let you use Windows programs on a Mac. It's just a .NET library clone.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
I just got the 10.2 update to Logic Pro, which includes the amazing Alchemy synthesizer. It's really deep, lets you do things to samples that are best not described in public, has built in sequencers and arpeggiators, 10 or so modulations per mod target, and comes with a paltry 3000 presets to give you a nudge past the starting line. If you haven't heard it, check out the Camel Audio channel on Youtube.

I've been thinking of buying a Pro 2, and Alchemy devastates it utterly, except for the Pro 2 being real and having knobs. I think I can close part of the gap with a Behringer knob box.

All gear is poo poo, Hail Satan.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Mono doesn't let you use Windows programs on a Mac. It's just a .NET library clone.

I just disassembled d50librarian.exe using ILSpy. It's a .Net 2.0 assembly, not a Win32 binary. It should at least execute on Mono. That being said, it looks like p/invokes winmm.dll for midi, which would probably need wine to work.

However, if you're not already elbow deep in this, it's probably not your trip, which I totally understand. I'm @gmail if you want to discuss details without making GBS threads up the thread.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

I've got a license I would be happy to sell you if license transfers are a thing for that awful piece of software.

Schindler's Fist posted:

I've been thinking of buying a Pro 2, and Alchemy devastates it utterly, except for the Pro 2 being real and having knobs. I think I can close part of the gap with a Behringer knob box.

All gear is poo poo, Hail Satan.

Knob boxes aren't really comparable. Even properly labeled, it's still hard to get the layout right. For example, my bc2000 is, like, a few knobs shy of being able to do everything a pg-800 can do and the jx-8p is not -that- deep a synth.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 6, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
There's a Sysex librarian and (separate) patch editor on the iPad but the former is buggy and the latter can't edit patches that are already on the D-50.

Looks like drag and drop of .syx was broken in Mavericks? Argh.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Jfc there's like ten hours of tutorials on Midi Quest in YouTube and this is the most tedious poo poo. Think I'm gonna stick to the iPad.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
Anyone have any recommendations on euro VCFs?

I'm planning the next steps in my rack, right now I'm trying to get a full voice set up (I'm currently using it to drive my ms-20, looking to build it into its own instrument):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/205808

I'm fairly set on getting the A-110 VCO and the uVCA II (already have everything else, and dedicated LFOs will be the next step) but I'm kind of split on the VCF.

I'm looking at getting the DinSync Sara, since it handles both HPF and LPF and looks like it can handle a lot of experimentation--but should I consider some combination of cheaper VCFs, or a Koma or one of the other price-comparable VCFs?

Extortionist fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 7, 2015

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Jfc there's like ten hours of tutorials on Midi Quest in YouTube and this is the most tedious poo poo. Think I'm gonna stick to the iPad.

Dunno how anyone can make 10 hours out of 'it doesn't work for poo poo'.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

0dB posted:

Just a montage of a dude reading out emails from tech support.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Tayter Swift posted:

Opcode Galaxy supports the D50 :v:

Extortionist posted:

I'm planning the next steps in my rack, right now I'm trying to get a full voice set up (I'm currently using it to drive my ms-20, looking to build it into its own instrument):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/205808

I'm fairly set on getting the A-110 VCO and the uVCA II (already have everything else, and dedicated LFOs will be the next step) but I'm kind of split on the VCF.

I'm looking at getting the DinSync Sara, since it handles both HPF and LPF and looks like it can handle a lot of experimentation--but should I consider some combination of cheaper VCFs, or a Koma or one of the other price-comparable VCFs?

The Sara is awesome and can be used as two 'traditional' filters if you want. The Manhattan SVVCF is my current go-to in most patches, the built in CP3-esque mixer is handy in small systems. Don't neglect Doepfer, they've got some very interesting choices for not much bread. The LPG and steiner VCF are great and cheap used since they're not new and hip.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Extortionist posted:

Largely a matter of taste and what you're looking for (I assume a low pass?). I'm quite happy with my MI Ripples though I have a Doepfer Wasp shipping this week (hopefully) as I wanted something distinctly different and preferably something multimode to complement my lowpass. I also *really* like the some of the Steiner-Parker filters but I'm not sure if I'd get a module or a microbrute...

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Extortionist posted:

As said, it's a matter of taste, but for your first VCF I think it's worth looking used and picking something that will give you as many ins/outs/CVs as possible. I got a used Blue Lantern Asteroid Operator VCF which has 3 low pass+4 band pass+1 high pass outs, 3 types of FM, VC resonance, 2 suboscillators, 3 different filter architectures and a (fairly limited) VCA on the side, all for about the same price as a new uVCF.

That said, the Sara looks like a pretty great start too. 2 filters gives you a lot more to play with than 1.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

0dB posted:

The audio is compressed so highly there's a constant drone at like 1khz on top of the drone of the dev.

But the MQ demo... Actually works real well with my D-50 :negative:

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Tayter Swift posted:

The audio is compressed so highly there's a constant drone at like 1khz on top of the drone of the dev.

But the MQ demo... Actually works real well with my D-50 :negative:
My main deal with MIDI Quest is that it just doesn't work like any application I've ever used. (Even other patch librarians like I used to have on the Atari years ago.)

It takes ages just to learn how MIDI Quest "thinks." But when you get down to it, in my experience, it eventually works. Although results can vary by synth, because not all of them have particularly robust SysEx features or MIDI performance.

I never got the VST integration thing to work at all though. But as a standalone editor it did work, and was the only thing I could find that had solutions for ALL of my vintage programmable synths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

hope you got one while they were available, the kits are all sold out now