Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Darwinism posted:

It's just a dumb case of the game hyping up an upgrade throughout the course of the entire game and then it's really not all that great and you barely get to play with it before the game's over, because at that point there's tons of implied urgency in the storyline. It's also never really displayed why you'd even want the V8 except that the game keeps telling you that you do. Show, you assholes, don't tell - a single mission earlier on where you got to gently caress around in a powerful V8-mobile would've been nice, but instead we just get told over and over that we just gotta have a V8 man it's so good!

A good critique of religion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Darwinism posted:

Regardless of all this it's a really fun game, I just wish they'd learned a few more lessons from other games.
Just finished the game myself, and I agree with your criticisms. There's a lot to like, but there are a bunch of missed opportunities to make the good parts come together into something stronger.

One of the things I really appreciated: Camps and scavenging sites having fairly unique layouts. They did a nice job stretching their assets out, making sure each location was at least somewhat different.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

captain innocuous posted:

A good critique of religion.

Well to be fair. max is insane and wants to find an V8 only because he thinks he can find a place that doesn't exist, because his training wont let him top himself or just stop to die. its kinda of depressing.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Darwinism posted:

Just finished the last storyline mission, and while the game itself was largely incredibly fun, there's a lot of stuff that's just not fun. The V8 being gated till the very last few missions is dumb as hell - the only story mission where you really get to use it is just convoy with no extra bells or whistles attached, and the upgrades are ridiculously expensive - I can only guess to eke out more playtime, since it's well over 10k scrap to fully upgrade the thing. Oh and for the last upgrade you have to get 0 threat in the largest zone. It's just a dumb case of the game hyping up an upgrade throughout the course of the entire game and then it's really not all that great and you barely get to play with it before the game's over, because at that point there's tons of implied urgency in the storyline. It's also never really displayed why you'd even want the V8 except that the game keeps telling you that you do. Show, you assholes, don't tell - a single mission earlier on where you got to gently caress around in a powerful V8-mobile would've been nice, but instead we just get told over and over that we just gotta have a V8 man it's so good!

Mission hubs were sort of nice and flavorful, but going around to the various upgrades is dumb and you could have easily gotten the same upgrading pieces of the base look by just turning the parts in to a central location instead of looking for ghostly outlines. It's also pretty stupid how you can only actively mark a single upgrade's parts at a time. Cars are fun as hell, but goddamn nothing destroys me faster than barely touching the wrong rock and just losing half my health while doing a good impression of a top. The thunderpoon is also way too overpowered and makes a joke out of every car-based challenge. Scrap locations are usually sort of neat looking but worthless gameplay-wise because the scrap in them scales up very poorly and you're better off just driving around to get the periodic scrap from the strongholds, since that does scale pretty well. Archangels and the alternate vehicles also serve no purpose that I can tell other than being forced on you for a couple missions, which is lovely for the Archangels because they require specific upgrades levels that you may have already exceeded, but gently caress you, you use these lovely shocks/engine/whatever instead.

The game doesn't expand at all on the things they introduce early on except to make things have bigger health bars or require upgrades to interact with. This means that there's way too much repetition as you move forward in the game - I've only completed Jeet's territory and the thought of trying the others just saps my will to play, because it'd be hours of repetitious bullshit to get an incremental upgrade or two. The third stronghold is especially bad, and the fourth is obviously the one where they ran out of dev time so it's the least padded out. Filler is also overused - Max comes to a full stop and runs through canned animations to eat, drink, refill his canteen, and refuel things. None of this stuff adds to the gameplay beyond maybe the first grossout moment where he's eating dog food or maggots or whatever, after that I don't give a poo poo, Max, just wash the drat corpsemaggots down while moving. Minefields are another really stupid filler example. They can't be marked on the map - because, I dunno, apparently it's impossible to detect the goddamn car graveyard around each one without a dog or getting really close with Chum - and they're required for reducing threat and the only way to defuse them is to bring out an optional vehicle that can't fast travel and listen to the same few barking sound loops ad nauseam. This stuff isn't huge, but it breaks the flow of the game and just generally doesn't seem to serve a positive purpose.

Regardless of all this it's a really fun game, I just wish they'd learned a few more lessons from other games.

I love the game but it often feels like a whole bunch of stuff got cut.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sedisp posted:

I love the game but it often feels like a whole bunch of stuff got cut.

Same here. This game is good but it feels like it could have been a lot better with a bit more time and money put into it. I guess they wanted release it before the public forgot about Fury Road.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Darwinism posted:

Just finished the last storyline mission, and while the game itself was largely incredibly fun, there's a lot of stuff that's just not fun. The V8 being gated till the very last few missions is dumb as hell - the only story mission where you really get to use it is just convoy with no extra bells or whistles attached, and the upgrades are ridiculously expensive - I can only guess to eke out more playtime, since it's well over 10k scrap to fully upgrade the thing. Oh and for the last upgrade you have to get 0 threat in the largest zone. It's just a dumb case of the game hyping up an upgrade throughout the course of the entire game and then it's really not all that great and you barely get to play with it before the game's over, because at that point there's tons of implied urgency in the storyline. It's also never really displayed why you'd even want the V8 except that the game keeps telling you that you do. Show, you assholes, don't tell - a single mission earlier on where you got to gently caress around in a powerful V8-mobile would've been nice, but instead we just get told over and over that we just gotta have a V8 man it's so good!

Mission hubs were sort of nice and flavorful, but going around to the various upgrades is dumb and you could have easily gotten the same upgrading pieces of the base look by just turning the parts in to a central location instead of looking for ghostly outlines. It's also pretty stupid how you can only actively mark a single upgrade's parts at a time. Cars are fun as hell, but goddamn nothing destroys me faster than barely touching the wrong rock and just losing half my health while doing a good impression of a top. The thunderpoon is also way too overpowered and makes a joke out of every car-based challenge. Scrap locations are usually sort of neat looking but worthless gameplay-wise because the scrap in them scales up very poorly and you're better off just driving around to get the periodic scrap from the strongholds, since that does scale pretty well. Archangels and the alternate vehicles also serve no purpose that I can tell other than being forced on you for a couple missions, which is lovely for the Archangels because they require specific upgrades levels that you may have already exceeded, but gently caress you, you use these lovely shocks/engine/whatever instead.

The game doesn't expand at all on the things they introduce early on except to make things have bigger health bars or require upgrades to interact with. This means that there's way too much repetition as you move forward in the game - I've only completed Jeet's territory and the thought of trying the others just saps my will to play, because it'd be hours of repetitious bullshit to get an incremental upgrade or two. The third stronghold is especially bad, and the fourth is obviously the one where they ran out of dev time so it's the least padded out. Filler is also overused - Max comes to a full stop and runs through canned animations to eat, drink, refill his canteen, and refuel things. None of this stuff adds to the gameplay beyond maybe the first grossout moment where he's eating dog food or maggots or whatever, after that I don't give a poo poo, Max, just wash the drat corpsemaggots down while moving. Minefields are another really stupid filler example. They can't be marked on the map - because, I dunno, apparently it's impossible to detect the goddamn car graveyard around each one without a dog or getting really close with Chum - and they're required for reducing threat and the only way to defuse them is to bring out an optional vehicle that can't fast travel and listen to the same few barking sound loops ad nauseam. This stuff isn't huge, but it breaks the flow of the game and just generally doesn't seem to serve a positive purpose.

Yea, I agree. Avalanche created a very fun, promising game with many areas for improvements. Coming from MGS V to this is readily apparent. Actions in MGS are very snappy and fluid. Big Boss just does what you tell him to. Max takes his sweet goddamn time drinking water, filling up his canteen, getting into his car, etc. The game plays out at a glacial pace minute to minute because of these little bits of flourish.

The in-game scrap economy could've used another pass or two. The rate in which scrap is accumulated slows the game down even more. Bigger payouts would've alleviated some of the grind.

What Avalanche did get right is the world design, combat, and car customization. They got the broad strokes down. I'd play the hell out of a sequel if there ever is another one.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evil Canadian posted:

So Chumbucket is the greatest marksman in the history of gaming right? He can hit a target pixel perfectly while you and it are both going 100 mph in opposite directions.

No, that goes to those fuckers in snipertown in that old metal of honor game

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh, and for all of the X/X achievements, give me something for them. Like scrap. What's the incentive for me clearing out locations a certain amount of times if there's no prize?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leather Bear posted:

Oh, and for all of the X/X achievements, give me something for them. Like scrap. What's the incentive for me clearing out locations a certain amount of times if there's no prize?

I sort of assumed I was getting something for these, like the badass tokens in Borderlands

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

JFC posted:

I'm stuck on the Gastown car race. I can't seem to find the best setup to give me good handling and survivability.

this gave me a lot of trouble as well. i had to put it down and try it the next day

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Just finished the game myself, and I agree with your criticisms. There's a lot to like, but there are a bunch of missed opportunities to make the good parts come together into something stronger.

One of the things I really appreciated: Camps and scavenging sites having fairly unique layouts. They did a nice job stretching their assets out, making sure each location was at least somewhat different.

also a couple of the random loot areas are really well done. everyone make sure you hit up all the places in the dunes region

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The airport set piece was very dope.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Leather Bear posted:

The airport set piece was very dope.

it also answers why there mainly only ruins and megastructures like nuclear silos left visible

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I like how, based on the location of gastown and the dunes, you can almost retrace Furiosas path in the War Rig. She initially headed south, then turned east through the dunes.

Buzzards were cool and spooky, my only nitpick is they should've been chittering in Russian like in the movie.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Thunderpoon is insanely good for a weapon, but the shredder rims and side burners feel pretty useless. Wish the weapons were less imbalanced.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Without spoiling anything, simple yes or no: does the game ever give you any information on what the Colossus is supposed to be? I tried looking online to figure it out and maybe get a sense for any real world correlation but came up with nothing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

PantsOptional posted:

Without spoiling anything, simple yes or no: does the game ever give you any information on what the Colossus is supposed to be? I tried looking online to figure it out and maybe get a sense for any real world correlation but came up with nothing.

No.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Panfilo posted:

I like how, based on the location of gastown and the dunes, you can almost retrace Furiosas path in the War Rig. She initially headed south, then turned east through the dunes.

Buzzards were cool and spooky, my only nitpick is they should've been chittering in Russian like in the movie.

You can?!

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Panfilo posted:

I thought she was going to gastown from the citadel to pick up fuel, then cranked to the side to escape?

Also does that mean that the bullet farm and citadel regions would be somehwat open for dlc?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Not quite. Furiosa wouldve been a zone or two north of the northern map edge. But dunes are east of gastown.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Getting SweetFX going was worth the hassle this game looks really good. The explosions especially are a treat.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Blue Raider posted:

also a couple of the random loot areas are really well done. everyone make sure you hit up all the places in the dunes region

A ton of them just look really livable. Actual care and thought went into a bunch of scrap site to make them feel like a group of people where making a go it. So far I've found the sand buried/hidden in the shells of ships the most interesting.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I thought she was going to gastown from the citadel to pick up fuel, then cranked to the side to escape?

Also does that mean that the bullet farm and citadel regions would be somehwat open for dlc?

Furiosa cut east through the dunes to make for the pass. But citadel is north of gastown so she was supposed to drive south. I'm assuming Bullet farm is southwest of citadel since that war party was heading toward the Rig from the opposite direction the gastown boys were.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Leather Bear posted:

Yea, I agree. Avalanche created a very fun, promising game with many areas for improvements. Coming from MGS V to this is readily apparent. Actions in MGS are very snappy and fluid. Big Boss just does what you tell him to. Max takes his sweet goddamn time drinking water, filling up his canteen, getting into his car, etc. The game plays out at a glacial pace minute to minute because of these little bits of flourish.

The in-game scrap economy could've used another pass or two. The rate in which scrap is accumulated slows the game down even more. Bigger payouts would've alleviated some of the grind.

What Avalanche did get right is the world design, combat, and car customization. They got the broad strokes down. I'd play the hell out of a sequel if there ever is another one.

I don't mind the fact that Max has to stoop down to fill his canteen or cram Dinky Di in his mouth. I don't mind pausing to refuel a car. But what I bugs me a ton is that most of these actions seem to be handled as dynamic "scenes", complete with awkward pauses and unnecessary fade-to-blacks that are obnoxious and eat up time. I'm fine with the animations, themselves, but that other stuff is no good.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
What are Avalanche like with supporting their games? I'm hoping for a few patches/dlc's to really flesh things out. Multiplayer, either official or modded would be incredible too

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rabhadh posted:

What are Avalanche like with supporting their games? I'm hoping for a few patches/dlc's to really flesh things out. Multiplayer, either official or modded would be incredible too

theHunter "DLC" (if you can even call it that) was largely P2W crap. I don't recall Just Cause 1 having any DLC, but Just Cause 2 had "toy" DLC--piecemeal content that added, say, a new car, or a couple of new guns--but nothing significant that I can recall. It looks like Renegade Ops actually received some new campaigns (in addition to new vehicles), though.

That being said, Avalanche doesn't exactly have a large portfolio of previous games to refer to so it's pretty difficult to say for certain what they can/will do with Mad Max DLC-wise.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

theHunter "DLC" (if you can even call it that) was largely P2W crap. I don't recall Just Cause 1 having any DLC, but Just Cause 2 had "toy" DLC--piecemeal content that added, say, a new car, or a couple of new guns--but nothing significant that I can recall. It looks like Renegade Ops actually received some new campaigns (in addition to new vehicles), though.

That being said, Avalanche doesn't exactly have a large portfolio of previous games to refer to so it's pretty difficult to say for certain what they can/will do with Mad Max DLC-wise.

Well, the game has been wildly successful and theres plenty of stuff to draw from so I'm sure theres some executive somewhere rubbing his nipples thinking about all the money DLC would make him

Unrelated: the dialog the war criers have after you kill all the war boys is hilarious. "you need a crier? been at it for years"

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Not at home so I can't check, but does this have new game plus? Now that I've beaten the story the thought occurs to me that I'd like to play through with the gear you unlock, and see how I do using the magnum opus as little as possible.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
just found out that reviewers are panning this, which is a loving crime

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Am I the only idiot who didn't realize you could fast travel whenever the hell you wanted to. I thought you had to be in the vicinity of the balloons.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After playing this through I mostly agree with the critics. The car combat is extremely fun, everything else gets tedious kinda quickly. Clearing bases is tedious, missions and the story is in general forgetable and just something I did for upgrades, and the foot combat isn't very fun either.

If I could just get a fully upgraded car with a fully populated desert to gently caress around in this would be one of these games I keep coming back to. Right now I'm kinda burned out, I can't upgrade my car until I do a poo poo load of dumb side-stuff, and I have the game alt tabbed for the base scrap.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Beat the main story. Yeah, Scrotus only took two hits with a thunderstick, but that was still a great experience. Get off the loving car, Chum!

"Pain my name with their blood!" Max is out of his loving gourd, isn't he. Got the jacket, double barreled sawed off, and the jacket. :clint:

Y'know I was expected some kind of payoff with the Plains of Silence thing but oh well. I get that it's all in Max's head but...gimme something!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Verify your files.

Tried that. Also updated video drivers, rebooted PC. Currently trying a full reinstall.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

just found out that reviewers are panning this, which is a loving crime

Guilty of being released the same time as MGS?

This game needs to be recognised for its technical excellence if anything. The procedural desert around the game map, the unique environments that you can drive around on and general harpoon shenanigans. All things that bring it to life.

Conversely I couldn't even begin to play Ground Zeroes, and by extension, Phantom Pain (because I checked and it has the same flaw) because I was unable bind keys to the numpad, which is pretty basic fare if you're left handed.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The only real criticism I can level at it so far is L2 is a stupid loving place to put the jump button, especially when this games jump is only used to get you off terrain you're stuck on. That and the game can be a bit "gently caress you" in Hand to Hand combat with your counters.

I imagine this kind of game really suffers in reviews. I've done them before and it's all about smashing through the Storyline as fast as possible, with minimum time left for dicking around. All the joy for me in this game comes from that dicking around doing sweet jumps, acting as a vehicular wrecking ball, enjoying how loving good it looks and taking pictures of the ridiculous poo poo that happens along the way.

I mean look at it

Even I can't make this game look ugly and from the border I picked there I think I really tried.

Fans fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 7, 2015

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Someone looked into my very soul, crafted the ultimate game for me, set it in the Mad Max world, then thoughtfully optimized it for the PC. Runs like butter on my mediocre (!) machine.

It was weird that the official reviews didn't like it so much, but the Steam reviews couldn't say enough good things. I trusted 200+ people with dozens of hours saying it's amazing over a few review sites and I was not disappointed.

I recall that one of the Modern Warfare games had a first mission where you massacred civilians in an airport as part of an undercover thing. The whole thing was so bad they let you skip it with no consequence to achievements or completion of the game. That, and the GTAV Trevor-torture thing left a bad taste in my mouth over AAA games, but the very first mission in Mad Max was to save a dog. Faith in humanity restored 10/10.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Caedus posted:

I recall that one of the Modern Warfare games had a first mission where you massacred civilians in an airport as part of an undercover thing. The whole thing was so bad they let you skip it with no consequence to achievements or completion of the game. That, and the GTAV Trevor-torture thing left a bad taste in my mouth over AAA games, but the very first mission in Mad Max was to save a dog. Faith in humanity restored 10/10.

Don't collect too many momentos. About 90% of the ones I've found so far references people either eating dogs, or considering eating dogs. One was about how they couldn't eat sheep because they're diseased, meaning my Welsh post-apocalypse plan is now hosed.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Spoiler that dude

Jesus man.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

Fans posted:

Don't collect too many momentos. About 90% of the ones I've found so far references people either eating dogs, or considering eating dogs. One was about how they couldn't eat sheep because they're diseased, meaning my Welsh post-apocalypse plan is now hosed.

Well I sort of expect that in a post-apocalyptic setting, but the fact that you, as the player character, do that as one of your first controllable actions really helped set a tone for the game with me. The world is lovely, sure, but Max still has humanity inside him and they establish that from the get-go.

I had fun with MW3 but starting the game by shooting up an airport? Wasn't exactly pumped up for the rest of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
No Russian owned actually

• Locked thread