Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Joementum posted:

Rick Santorum will never win the nomination of the Republican party, but that doesn't make him a joke candidate like Cain, Bachmann, Carson, or Trump.
OK but what is he doing there then? Running for a VP slot? Trying to get a job at Fox News? Hoping to sell books at some point in the future?
Because one could make a case that this is also what the joke candidates are hoping to get out of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

NotJesus posted:

OK but what is he doing there then? Running for a VP slot? Trying to get a job at Fox News? Hoping to sell books at some point in the future?
Because one could make a case that this is also what the joke candidates are hoping to get out of this.
Earnestly expressing his views in the belief/hope that it will get him elected President.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, it's hard to understand looking at it from the outside, but all of these guys really believe they can be President. They all have colossal egos and are surrounded by people telling them it can happen.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
And based on the conventional wisdom of the last several cycles and his placement in 2012, Santorum should be leading the pack right now. But he's not because the circumstances behind his placement in 2012 were exceptional and nobody actually likes him

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Here's a really good article and audio clip about the rise of evangelical capitalism that we see in the Tea Party today. http://www.npr.org/2015/03/30/396365659/how-one-nation-didnt-become-under-god-until-the-50s-religious-revival

I think the Red Scare had a huge role as well. Conservative religious folks were fiercely anti-communist, because of communism's embrace of athiesm. Southern racists began equating communism with civil rights, because of shitlords like Strom Thurmond. In 1948, Thurmond said Truman's civil rights platform had "its origin in communist ideology" and was intended to "excite race and class hatred... create the chaos and confusion that leads to communism," and then proceeded to bolt the Democratic Party, because of its capture by Reds, etc. The general purging of the American Left in the late 40s and 50s was incredibly damaging, but the linkage of religious groups to race realists and corporatists through anti-communism was devastating.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

And based on the conventional wisdom of the last several cycles and his placement in 2012, Santorum should be leading the pack right now. But he's not because the circumstances behind his placement in 2012 were exceptional and nobody actually likes him
Yeah but a lot of people polling ahead of Santorum right now (Christie, Bush, Rubio) were sitting 2012 out and biding their time. So Santorum's "2nd place behind Romney" doesn't mean the same thing as Romney's "2nd place behind McCain".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Smoothrich posted:

Leave it to the guy with the Communist Jew avatar representing "progressive populism but u know not the racist kind like Trump is doing" to be the one using loaded terms like "evil" and "black guy" together to refer to a world-renowned neurosurgeon who has spent his entire providing healthcare in cities like Baltimore and Detroit after being raised by highly religious Southern parents. Like many black.. or any color really.. Americans who go on to become successful after growing up dirt poor in any number of America's horrible cities, Detroit in Carson's case, he had the military, religion, education, and his parents as anchors while surely many of his friends and peers growing up were selling heroin, smoking crack, shooting handguns at each other and police as street soldiers in gangs that provide all the drugs and guns to these communities in the first place, and Carson went on to be a surgeon working in Detroit for 30 years so he probably saw victims of shootings and crap every day. In fact, his life story is much more typical of an "African-American" than Obama's who was raised with overwhelming "white privilege" as people like to say nowdays. People who grow up in slums but end up successful after decades of hard work and pop up on Fox News here and there probably can't believe they survived growing up in the first place, and often give religion, law enforcement, etc a lot of credit. Yet even black people get called racist for talking about what they did as a poor black person to become successful, this is so commonplace with "left-wing people" nowadays it blows my genuinely left-wing mind.

"If a white person talks about personal responsibility and bootstraps, they're dog whistling racism. Therefore when a black (or Hispanic like Ted Cruz) person explains their life story hoping it could help somebody growing up feeling like they have no future but death or jail, they too are simply lying racist shills for their White Republican Masters, because I'm a blowhard left wing douchebag that is intellectually incapable of engaging with points of view that make me question my own prejudices! After all, Black Republicans aren't REAL black people, so it's okay for me to think of them as stupid niggers!" People honestly seem to believe that when a minority like Ted Cruz or Ben Carson talks about how having two loving parents instead of fathers who are alcoholics, deadbeats, life in jail or dead or whatever excuses lovely selfish people make to not raise their own kids, Ted Cruz's father was like this himself before he became a born-again Christian and reunited with the young sad and scared Cruz and his mother, they simply get dismissed as racist. Nothing about their personal stories or experiences is even understood by 99 percent of "white liberal douchebags" also known as "SJWs" in certain circles. Ya'll a joke

Your post would have merit if those life stories weren't bookended with "abolish the social safety net, gently caress the VRA, kill all poors" policies.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

CheesyDog posted:

Saying that being a Senator or Governor makes you a serious candidate for President sounds weird because every single candidate with those qualifications is in one way or another a Stupid rear end in a top hat

'rear end in a top hat' and 'serious' aren't mutually exclusive though.

JT Jag posted:

If he wasn't so self-centered I'd hope Trump's entire campaign was a Penn Gilette from Alpha House stunt.

"Mr. Trump, congratulations on winning the Republican nomination. Your polls went up 3% last week. Thoughts?"

"Did it? Really? Hah. I was on vacation last week. I didn't do anything and the numbers still went up." Trump stares straight into the camera. "America, I'm a former reality show star. I called Mexicans rapists. I insulted John McCain's war record. And now I'm the Republican nominee for this Presidential election. I haven't even held political office. How am I qualified to be President? This is a joke. This whole political process is a joke. You need to reassess your sad lives. What the hell were you thinking? Whatever, I'm done, enjoy the White House Hillary." Trump grins bemusedly, shakes his head and storms offstage.

Man, I forgot all about that storyline! Are we ever getting a third season of Alpha House?

spacing in vienna posted:

I seem to be the only person who actually got your joke. :golfclap:

Shame on the rest of us, including me. It seems so obvious now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'd be incredibly disappointed if that scenario were to happen, because I think telling cronies to stuff it is something that should be rewarded with legitimacy

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NotJesus posted:

Yeah but a lot of people polling ahead of Santorum right now (Christie, Bush, Rubio) were sitting 2012 out and biding their time. So Santorum's "2nd place behind Romney" doesn't mean the same thing as Romney's "2nd place behind McCain".

YOU LIE!

That's Rep. Joe Wilson on the right

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Yeah, it's hard to understand looking at it from the outside, but all of these guys really believe they can be President. They all have colossal egos and are surrounded by people telling them it can happen.

Also Santorum does have a historically accurate argument that he came from nowhere this time 2011 to winning Iowa. Of course Ron Paul stole all but 1 of the delegates later and he only won by 34 votes against Mitt, but he did win.

Unfortunately he seems to have forsaken the sweater vest, thus has the sweater vest's electoral power deserted him. Also the religious voting block has several choices this time instead of just Ricky.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Joementum posted:

Correct. I was trying to make a distinction between candidates like Mitt Romney and Herman Cain. Rick Santorum will never win the nomination of the Republican party, but that doesn't make him a joke candidate like Cain, Bachmann, Carson, or Trump.

:lol:

I thought you were smart or something

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Gyges posted:

Unfortunately he seems to have forsaken the sweater vest, thus has the sweater vest's electoral power deserted him.
Judging from that picture, he's already sweating enough already; he doesn't need a sweater vest.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Everyone except Trump, Fiorina, Carson, and Cruz.

Spot me Rubio as an honorary joke candidate and I'll :toxx: bet you that one of the jokes win this primary

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Obviously, Joementum, Trump's lack of political experience or elite support is a major disadvantage.

But if Trump does manage to beat the odds and win the nomination, would his legitimization by voters make him serious?

Or do you think there is a difference between popular legitimacy and the kind of institutional seriousness you refer to?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

How is Rubio a joke candidate? He'll be the next governor of Florida and will probably run again in 2020 or 20204.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Aliquid posted:

How is Rubio a joke candidate? He'll be the next governor of Florida and will probably run again in 2020 or 20204.

He looked silly drinking water once.

(I just thought it would even the odds)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
At this point I feel Rubio has better odds than Bush or Walker.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Aliquid posted:

I dunno, he's gonna be pretty old by 20204.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

Aliquid posted:

I know he looks really young sitting in that huge chair, but this is ridiculous: he's not going to live that long.

EDIT: Beaten, gently caress you and your skyscraper.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Its majesty is unparalleled.

HappyHippo posted:

Rubio is lucky that he's been getting mostly ignored so far, but I'd agree that Rubio has a better chance that Jeb! given how badly Jeb! has been the past few weeks.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think Rubio might have the best chance of the Republican establishment candidates to win the general.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

HappyHippo posted:

On the one hand, he hasn't managed to repeatedly own himself publicly since announcing, unlike Bush or Walker. On the other hand, at least that's kept them in the news! :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Spacebump posted:

I think Rubio might have the best chance of the Republican establishment candidates to win the general.
He can probably moderate his immigration message if he gets to the General, pointing out his previous support for the DREAM program and such. He's probably the only Republican that can draw the Hispanic support necessary to get elected.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

William Bear posted:

Obviously, Joementum, Trump's lack of political experience or elite support is a major disadvantage.

But if Trump does manage to beat the odds and win the nomination, would his legitimization by voters make him serious?

Or do you think there is a difference between popular legitimacy and the kind of institutional seriousness you refer to?

The premise of the question is flawed because Donald Trump cannot and will not win the nomination. The reasons for this are stated in your first sentence.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The premise of the question is flawed because Donald Trump cannot and will not win the nomination. The reasons for this are stated in your first sentence.
Joementum, is Bernie Sanders is a serious candidate?

I'm of the opinion that he wasn't at first but he is now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

Joementum, is Bernie Sanders is a serious candidate?

I'm of the opinion that he wasn't at first but he is now.

Under the definition of "serious candidate" I was using earlier to distinguish between Rick Santorum and Donald Trump, yes, he is.

Under a definition of "serious candidate" which means "capable of winning the nomination", no, he is not.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008

Joementum posted:

Under the definition of "serious candidate" I was using earlier to distinguish between Rick Santorum and Donald Trump, yes, he is.

Under a definition of "serious candidate" which means "capable of winning the nomination", no, he is not.

Of course he isn't. The thing I can't figure out is if his supporters actually really don't know this. It seems like Bernie himself doesn't even deny it. Even when he announced he said it was about making sure the left had a voice in the discourse or something to that effect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

breaklaw posted:

Of course he isn't. The thing I can't figure out is if his supporters actually really don't know this. It seems like Bernie himself doesn't even deny it. Even when he announced he said it was about making sure the left had a voice in the discourse or something to that effect.
When he first declared I believe it was for the purpose of pushing Hillary to the left, but with the upsurge of support he's seen it seems his campaign has gotten serious about trying to actually win.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
http://www.mediaite.com/online/hillary-clinton-makes-voters-sign-loyalty-pledge-before-entering-event/

quote:

Attendees at a Hillary Clinton campaign event in Cleveland, Ohio, were asked to sign a pledge promising to vote for the candidate before they were allowed into the venue.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the inevitable nominee and future president. This is totally not an out-of-touch and souring act of desperation that stays in peoples minds.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

breaklaw posted:

The thing I can't figure out is if his supporters actually really don't know this.

I think there are the people who can see reality for what it is but will still vote for Bernie so that his influence on the party platform is as large as possible, and those who need Bernie Sanders to win in order to stay motivated and involved. The second group will be providing high comedy (ok, low comedy) come election time.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Aww, that's cute. A couple of students attending babby's first political rally were handed a pledge card and got all offended. :3:

She's been handing those out for months now. Her Twitter feed is littered with pictures of supporters holding up their pledge cards. It's an easy and effective way to collect contact information for the campaign. As her campaign pointed out to Mediaite, you don't have to sign it to attend the event.

NotJesus
Jan 17, 2007

MrBims posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the inevitable nominee and future president. This is totally not an out-of-touch and souring act of desperation that stays in peoples minds.
I would love to sign one of these and then vote for someone else.
Just to break my promise to a politician instead of the other way around.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MrBims posted:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/hillary-clinton-makes-voters-sign-loyalty-pledge-before-entering-event/

They're going full Blairite, huh?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MrBims posted:

lol

Low content I know but seriously

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

MrBims posted:

Do you actually think that asking someone to fill out a fundraising/volunteering form at a campaign event is the same thing as forcing people to do it as a condition of entry or are you just playing dumb? Politicians collect names at campaign events literally all the time.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Do you actually think that asking someone to fill out a fundraising/volunteering form at a campaign event is the same thing as forcing people to do it as a condition of entry or are you just playing dumb? Politicians collect names at campaign events literally all the time.
The report claimed that it was a prerequisite for entry, the Clinton campaign contests this

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What is with establishment candidates and pointless unenforcable loyalty pledges

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

MrBims posted:

This is a really common thing. Duck Durbin had a tear-off postcard so that his campaign could remind you to vote the week before the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Grasping at straws like they have Bernie's signature on the side.

• Locked thread