Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Danube Fed is the most interesting path for Austria. Status quo is boring, eventual slow integration is boring, Austria-Hungary I'm not sure about, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have more than the Danube Fed. It's definitely the only way to go syndicalist.

Actually Austria has a very rare syndicalist coup event so there are two ways! (There's nothing after that event so don't ever do it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Zeron posted:

Actually Austria has a very rare syndicalist coup event so there are two ways! (There's nothing after that event so don't ever do it)

I forgot about that, largely because it requires you to lose the Ausgleich war, and if you ever want to be doing anything as Austria, that's not a thing to be doing. Seems like that's largely just a way for Germany to do the Anschluss, since they can invade after the coup.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not Paradox, but a similar game - has anyone here played the now 16-year-old game Imperialism II? I thought I'd finally give it a try over the weekend and it is really addictive despite its complexity. My main complaint is that the alliance system makes absolutely no sense and your best bet is not to make any alliances unless you want to get embroiled in the inevitable world-engulfing war of all against all.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Phlegmish posted:

My main complaint is that the alliance system makes absolutely no sense and your best bet is not to make any alliances unless you want to get embroiled in the inevitable world-engulfing war of all against all.

Sounds like real life as well. :smug:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

My main complaint is that the alliance system makes absolutely no sense and your best bet is not to make any alliances unless you want to get embroiled in the inevitable world-engulfing war of all against all.

Sounds like Victoria 2 as well. :smug:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Phlegmish posted:

Not Paradox, but a similar game - has anyone here played the now 16-year-old game Imperialism II? I thought I'd finally give it a try over the weekend and it is really addictive despite its complexity. My main complaint is that the alliance system makes absolutely no sense and your best bet is not to make any alliances unless you want to get embroiled in the inevitable world-engulfing war of all against all.

I think quite a few folks have suggested that Victoria 3's economy/gameplay loop ought to take a few cues from the Imperialism series, yeah. It's a good game (which I am pretty poo poo at).

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, it's pretty good. I played it a lot while waiting for the original Victoria to come out.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Sounds like Victoria 2 as well. :smug:

Usually in Victoria you don't end up at war with your own allies.

I'm starting to get the hang of the economic system, but wars are not yet going as smoothly as I'd like. I thought I'd clean the Netherlands' clock as I'd conquered half the Old Worlds minors and owned half the New World. I still ended up with an invasion force rampaging through my home continent. This was on one of the easiest difficulties. That game must be absolutely brutal on the higher difficulty settings, I imagine you'd have to play flawlessly and think twenty turns ahead to stand a chance.

e: here's my Sweden right before I decided to launch my disastrous attack on the Netherlands:

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 6, 2015

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Is that a randomly generated map

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It is.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You can also play on an approximation of Europe, but I felt like using a randomly generated map (mostly so I could cheese it until I got a really good starting position).

I just noticed the Europa Universalis series uses almost the exact same colors for the various countries. You can't see it on the screenshot because they've been eliminated, but Portugal is green and Spain is yellow. Probably just because they used similar vexillological reasoning to arrive at the same result.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm about 90% sure that the pop promotion system for Victoria was designed shortly after Johan did an all nighter playing the original Imperialism. There are a lot of similarities.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Somehow my brain got Imperialism II and Imperium Galactica II backwards :downs:

Then I realized I haven't actually played either one of them! Don't think I've heard anything about IG2 before, I played the first one a tiny bit like 15 years ago though.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Somehow my brain got Imperialism II and Imperium Galactica II backwards :downs:

Then I realized I haven't actually played either one of them! Don't think I've heard anything about IG2 before, I played the first one a tiny bit like 15 years ago though.

IG2 is real sweet but it has a ship designer, I understand you're not a fan of those :v:

Seriously though it's a great game and totally surprised me when I played it. I'm not sure how well it holds up but I remember the campaign not being painfully long and quite engaging.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Rakthar posted:

IG2 is real sweet but it has a ship designer, I understand you're not a fan of those :v:

Seriously though it's a great game and totally surprised me when I played it. I'm not sure how well it holds up but I remember the campaign not being painfully long and quite engaging.

Ship Design won't kill a 4x game for me by itself usually. Extensive Ship Design + Bad Combat Feedback definitely can though if it's a big enough part of the game though.

I might give it a look a little later, it looks pretty cool (pauseable real-time is a big plus). Maybe once I get tired of trying to figure out Darkest Hour. :suicide:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing about extensive ship design is that in practice what it always ends up doing is obscuring the optimal solution in order to create a veneer of diversity. Rule the Waves is probably as complicated as you can get and still be fun.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Looking at the IGN footage of the new Endless Space, it looks like ES2 and Stellaris are going for almost exactly the same kind of combat system with respect to space battles. I just hope Paradox doesn't adopt the ridiculous rock-paper-scissors approach of the first ES.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Have we uh, seen anything of Stellaris's combat mechanics yet? Just making sure I didn't miss anything because I haven't seen a single thing yet.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Have we uh, seen anything of Stellaris's combat mechanics yet? Just making sure I didn't miss anything because I haven't seen a single thing yet.

Paradox have said their space combat is cinematic but non-interactive with some ship design. I take this to mean that it'll play a whole lot like Endless Space in action, which is basically hands-off with some basic inputs.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If it's non interactive don't waste my time with graphics or cinematic experiences. Mash the numbers together and tell me the results. I bet we can't even replace our ships with nato counters. I replaced my ability to feel human with a counter.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I don't think it's going to be instanced like the ES fights. You'll just have your ships on your main map and they'll fight it out there like your soldiers in Eu4 except you can watch to see what happens in the fight rather than just figures going through stock animations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phlegmish posted:

Usually in Victoria you don't end up at war with your own allies.

I'm starting to get the hang of the economic system, but wars are not yet going as smoothly as I'd like. I thought I'd clean the Netherlands' clock as I'd conquered half the Old Worlds minors and owned half the New World. I still ended up with an invasion force rampaging through my home continent. This was on one of the easiest difficulties. That game must be absolutely brutal on the higher difficulty settings, I imagine you'd have to play flawlessly and think twenty turns ahead to stand a chance.

e: here's my Sweden right before I decided to launch my disastrous attack on the Netherlands:

The hard difficulties in Imperialism require you to take shortcuts and play a lot more optimally, yeah. You have to use spies and you have to use imports to try to keep up, whereas on normal you can just develop and win that way. Development is a lot better in imp2 than imp1 as a strategy but it still falls behind trade-based approaches.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

I love this game. It's one of the few games I've played that truly effectively argues a thesis using its mechanics alone.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Rakthar posted:

Like other games of that time period, looking at you M.A.X, it just didn't age well. I love the gameplay of those games but the graphics/resolution just kills any desire to replay them. God what I wouldn't give for a 2015 version of M.A.X.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I saw that the Humble Bundle was having a Paradox sale and thought, "OK, I haven't played CKII or EU4 in a couple years, let me catch up with the DLC!"

I am totally confused on what I have to get. I thought I would try to look at the Steam descriptions for the key DLC but for EU4 there's like two things that are listed as the "third" expansion and two other things that are listed as the "fifth expansion". With CKII I think I have everything besides Horse Lords and Charlemagne (is that a major release?) but it's hard to sift through the list of like 400 items.

Is there an easy checklist of the major mechanical/content DLC for each game?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I saw that the Humble Bundle was having a Paradox sale and thought, "OK, I haven't played CKII or EU4 in a couple years, let me catch up with the DLC!"

I am totally confused on what I have to get. I thought I would try to look at the Steam descriptions for the key DLC but for EU4 there's like two things that are listed as the "third" expansion and two other things that are listed as the "fifth expansion". With CKII I think I have everything besides Horse Lords and Charlemagne (is that a major release?) but it's hard to sift through the list of like 400 items.

Both CK2 and EU4 have good wikis these days, with lists of DLC. The expansions are what you're looking for.
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content#Expansions
http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content#Expansions

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Art of War and Common Sense are the "must have" DLC by the way, they give stuff that affects you as every nation. Wealth of Nations is important too (lots of trade stuff) but less essential. The rest are mostly just if you want to play a particular team (Mesoamerica, Republics, North American natives)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There's exhaustive wiki pages for both CK2 and EU4. Horse Lords and Charlemagne are both "major" expansions.

e: beaten

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 7, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Thanks for the help! I checked the OP of this thread but it hasn't been updated in a year and a half.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
In a fit of madness, I bought HoI III and its DLC, and even with experience in EU IV and CK II this is kinda insane and overwhelming. What's a good 'starter' country to try to get the hang of things?

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

In a fit of madness, I bought HoI III and its DLC, and even with experience in EU IV and CK II this is kinda insane and overwhelming. What's a good 'starter' country to try to get the hang of things?

USA, it's impossible to gently caress up with them and you can learn every corner of the game from huge naval fights down to invasions at your own desired pace. Also laugh at your immense industry as you can build whatever fighting force you want.

Or wait until HoI 4 comes out or get DH because HOI3 is hellish to learn and play. It can be rather fun at times though.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Play as literally any non-puppet country that isn't in the Allies or Comintern, join the Axis, automate everything except diplomacy and start telling Hitler to conquer poo poo for you.

It's how *I* had fun in HOI3, at least!

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

This humble bundle deal is insane, I was hoping for just 50% off at the most but now I'm getting near everything for a 10th of the price. Glad I waited.

Thanks for the heads up CharlieFoxtrot.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Is Sword of the Stars I or II good enough to buy for $2.50/$5.00ish?

Same question for Warlock, Majesty, and other assorted Paradox-published titles.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

vyelkin posted:

The first Sword of the Stars is my favourite space 4x since MoO.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

vyelkin posted:

Same question for Warlock, Majesty, and other assorted Paradox-published titles.

You should google "Sword of the Stars II release" or something similar, an image search probably gives you a picture of a trainwreck. Think Paradox release 10 years ago and multiply by a factor 100, that's how unplayable it was.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
SOTS2 is a fascinating case study of megalomania and poor project management, but a poor actual game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

vyelkin posted:

1 is great, if a bit war-focused. 2 is a steaming buggy mess that even after patching wasn't really all that well-designed or compelling.

I'm not kidding about the buggy mess, by the way. From the old SotS 2 thread, here's a list of some of the more amusing patch notes they put out (and this went on for years after release, let it be known).

quote:

Divide by zero counter: 7

Critical fixes:
- The Continue Game button is now working.
+ Patched a ship repair divide-by-zero crash.
- Fixed a crash when you killed the system killer.
- Fixed circumstances under which canceling a mission might crash game.
- Fixed drones firing while docked on carrier parent.
- Fleets without admirals no longer display "Defacto" as their admiral.
- Added fix to ensure that randoms and grand menaces don't spawn if all of them were disabled.
- Fixed an end-of-combat crash caused by inserting the same combat results into the game twice.
- Disabled purple placeholder effect appearing on all turret muzzles when firing. Existing muzzle effects still display as they did before the last update.
+ Treaty and Declare War options are now available in the diplomacy screen.
+ Fixed a crash the could occur when issuing orders to a ship with no crew.
+ It is no longer possible to scrap enemy ships.
- Fixed occasional crash due to Main Menu combat
- Fixed crash that could occur when destroying weapons in combat.
- Fixed crash caused by opening battle manager at a system where platforms are available for placement.
- Fixed a bug where dissolving a fleet would lead to empty fleets.
- Fixed known issues where boarding pods and assault shuttles were not able to connect to ships
+ Fixed a crash that could be caused by not having enough admirals for starting fleets.
+ Fixed planetary missiles not firing.
+ Fixed numerous known issues with fleet pathing.
+ Fixed known issues where colony information would not disappear for a player, preventing re-colonization and causing a crash in some cases.
+ Enemy fleets no longer appear in the fleet manager.
+ Fixed an issue where ships could become stuck in a permanently spinning state.
+ Fixed the known issues where ships would not respond to controls.
+ Fixed a bug that was causing combat to be initiated when no ships were present.
+ Torpedoes now apply damage to planets.
+ Fixed a crash that could occur when clicking the research cube on
the star map.
+ Fixed a hang when more then 1 combat took place
+ Fixed biome colonizers from hurting biosphere when terraforming.
- Fixed bug where fleets were getting forced to center of the sun.
- Fixed bug where fleets could be placed inside planets.
+ Fixed the rare crash that could occur when previewing maps when creating a game.
+ Fixed the issue that was causing Hiver gates not to function until
the game was reloaded.
- A certain Suul'ka will now no longer instantly kill ships with its tentacle attacks.
- Fixed stations spawning inside planets

Other fixes and changes:
- Turret fixes made to Human and Hiver Leviathans causing them to shoot through selves.
- Fixed an issue where the specters could intermittently stop moving during combat.
+ The System Killer will no longer run into stations.
+ Fixed build order removal.
+ Fixed an issue where AI ships could fly into planets when performing fly-by maneuvers.
+ Fixed a number of turret errors (placed inside ship, placed backwards, etc.)
+ Fixed known issues where Drone carriers were not attaching drones.
+ Fixed known issue where meteors could not be destroyed.
+ Fixed bug where tooltips would be one line no matter how long they where.
+ Fixed a bug where a different station would be upgraded than the one selected.
+ Fixed known issues where boarding actions were not taking over ships.
+ Rapidly clicking buttons will no longer bypass feasibility studies.
+ Turrets no longer fire missiles after the crew are killed.
+ Fixed the issue where requesting surrender of an empire could lock
out camera control.
+ Prevented Zuul ships from boring temporary node lines back from a
deep space encounter.
+ Fixed the issue where Radiant Bore ships could not create node lines.
+ Fixed an issue where infrastructure was resetting to zero each time
a planet was recolonized.
+ Fixed a crash caused by AI players attempting to ally with indy players.
+ Gate Lab upgrade requirements can now be met.
+ Zuul trade now unlocks correctly.
+ Fixed issues where missiles targeting spectres could damage a colony instead.
+ Fixed the missing news event notifying players of war declarations against them.
+ It is no longer possible to see enemy ship tool tips.
+ Fixed an issue where Leviathans were taking armor damage on the wrong side in combat.
+ Fixed a bug that was assigning unwanted modules to stations and ships.
+ Retreating ships no longer get pulled back into combat at the same location.
+ Strategic turn timer is now displayed in games that use it.
+ Fixed an issue where players were spawning too close to the star during random encounters.
+ Independent colonies no longer form on barren planetoids nor gas giants.
+ Fixed an issue that was allowing players to abandon enemy colonies.
+ Fixed an issue that was causing the AI to continually redesign thee same ship role turn after turn.
+ Restored sound.
+ Fixed unending rebellions.
+ Suul'ka now enter combat again.
+ AI no longer retires ships constantly.
+ AI now redesigns for missing ships, such as gates and bores.
+ Enemy ship construction ETA is no longer visible in system icons.
+ Targets of node cannons no longer leave empty fleets behind.
+ Colonization fleets no longer teleport on support runs.
+ Fixed issue where the star map UI was not reactivating on new turns
(AKA Black Buttons of Doom).
+ Boarded ships no longer fire at unusually high rates.
+ Fixed an issue that could cause planets to share the same orbit.
+ Can no longer retrofit ships in a system without a colony.
+ Fixed an issue that could cause the strategic AI to redesign
constructors and freighters each turn.
+ Fixed overharvesting beyond available resources.
+ The grovernment graph marker no longer moves beyond the graph bounds.
+ Stations no longer become constructed when construction fleets are absent.
+ Asteroid monitors no longer disappear from systems when research is complete.
+ Fixed a corner case that could result in ships rolling continually in combat.
+ Fixed an issue where shield generators were firing torpedoes.
+ Fixed an issue that was causing ships in combat to be equipped with
random modules where none belong.
+ Fixed cases where attached boarding pods were super-sized.
+ Fixed an issue that could cause stations under construction to appear inside planets.
+ Fixed an audio problem that was leading to framerate loss over time.
+ Fixed an issue where planets were firing missiles when they shouldn't.
- Fixed stations spawning in center of planet during rebellion.
- Fixed fleet interception teleport bug. (OP Note: The intercepting fleets teleported to deep space. Like out-of-the-galaxy deep space.)
- Fixed beam vs planet lengths.
- Fixed Hivers using up gate points while committing missions to their home systems.
- AI now repair fleets at systems.
- Fix to prevent stations from being spawned in the center of a planet.
- Fixed beams not rendering when origin is not on the screen.
- Fixed bug that allowed meteors to capture admirals.
- Fixed NPG moving in autoresolve combats
- Fixed bug causing loa to secretly pay corruption expenses
- Fixed Loa/Zuul AI colonizing non-terrestrial planets
- Fixed subverted drones attacking friendly ships after docking
- Fixed not getting research project for super novas
- Fixed Loa AI not expanding
- Display turret arcs when mouse hovers over a weapon
- Fixed CTD on profile saving caused by Anti-Virus programs (= You can now play SotS2 with your antivirus on!)
- Fixed case where "Random System" used as system name
- Fixed case where AI would prefer initial ship designs
- Fixed AI humans not using node lines
- Fix Loa gate spawning in center of sun
- Fix plagues not killing civilians
- Improve AI to prevent them from going into debt
- AI now selects the best fleet for combat, as opposed to just picking the fleet with the most health

Additions and Changes
+ Tar Baby COL added.
+ Carriers can now carry other carriers.
+ Multiple missions can be issued from a single screen for Survey, Relocate, Colonize, Support, Patrol,
Interdict, Invade and Strike.
+ Construction, Upgrade and Patrol missions now have an optional rebase on completion.
- Can now deploy fleets on missions that are returning home or patrolling [It took 1,5 years for this one.]
- Can now order planets in planet manager
- Mousing over weapon group in design test now shows weapon coverage
- Help prevent AI from causing their own economic collapse

Known Issues:
- Drones cannot be designed.
- Scrapping ships does not yet yield bonuses.
- System Killer auto resolve is not producing results.
- Some star systems have anomalous moon orbits.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Funny at the time (because I didn't own the game), but in retrospect it's really sad to have seen what has to have been one of the fastest and most total collapses of goodwill in a studio ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Panzeh posted:

The hard difficulties in Imperialism require you to take shortcuts and play a lot more optimally, yeah. You have to use spies and you have to use imports to try to keep up, whereas on normal you can just develop and win that way. Development is a lot better in imp2 than imp1 as a strategy but it still falls behind trade-based approaches.

Oh my god Imperialism, it's been years. I really miss some of the resource management aspects of it compared to EU's overly simplified abstractions.

• Locked thread