Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

MikeJF posted:

It also shows so many seeds of Battlestar Galactica.
If that interview includes an unsatisfying Lucy Lawless cameo and ends in an overwrought diaphanous opera house scene then I guess I have to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i like the bit i quotes where he's like "people will begin watching star trek on this "internet" thing soon, i think, and once star trek is dead long enough people are gonna want it back with letter-writing campaigns and stuff" and im thinkin of the Captain Worf pitch like "dang"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i really cant see captain worf going anywhere, bless michael dorns lil heart, but i do hope it at least got the execs thinking about how 1) pre-reboot fans are still very much out there in a big way, and 2) huge-budget movies and 26-ep full-budget tv seasons both represent large investments with attendant risk, a netflix limited run, not so much

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I think they should make more Star Trek Renegades.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Guys get this. We take star trek. We take game of thrones. We take house of cards.

Then we mash them all up into a frankenstiens monster of a TV show and rake in the money.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Get Kevin Spacey in a Star Trek uniform and pronto that's what I'm saying

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Guys get this. We take star trek. We take game of thrones. We take house of cards.

Then we mash them all up into a frankenstiens monster of a TV show and rake in the money.

Need to add in The Walking Dead. I mean zombies are still popular, right? You could have a zombie crewman! This show will print money.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Kitchner posted:

Get Kevin Spacey in a Star Trek uniform and pronto that's what I'm saying

Literally re-shoot the entirety of House of Cards, except Kevin Spacey has Fegengi ears the whole time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i really cant see captain worf going anywhere, bless michael dorns lil heart, but i do hope it at least got the execs thinking about how 1) pre-reboot fans are still very much out there in a big way, and 2) huge-budget movies and 26-ep full-budget tv seasons both represent large investments with attendant risk, a netflix limited run, not so much

There's still going to be a big up-front cost to any new series, Netflix or otherwise, because of set construction and costuming costs.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

No joke I've actually read the Captain Worf pilot script and it's awful.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

FrensaGeran posted:

No joke I've actually read the Captain Worf pilot script and it's awful.

this does not surprise me in the slightest

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The opening scene involves NEW ALIENS capturing Martok and then MYSTERIOUS FIGURE IN THE SHADOWS beats them all up with his super space kung fu and saves him.

You'll never guess who. it's Worf

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes that is the way to show that old Star Trek can update and keep up with the 21st Century-- storytelling that was considered hokey and cheap 20 years ago.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Klingons pulled their knives on him because he was mist, which they found offensive, and attempted to stab him. Then the klingons, who regularly fight each other to the death over untied shoelaces as a matter of honor, tried to rules lawyer an extradition because he was "surrounding them in a menacing way."

started watching ds9 and it fixed everything I ever thought was wrong with trek, there is a Klingon lawyer in season 4 who wants to extradite worf for mass murder and like all star trek courtroom episode guest stars he is the best

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i 'dug' how by like halfway through the first season (and repeatedly afterwards) odo's already admitted that he surveils everybody on the ship inc. when theyre in their private quarters, and infiltrates p much anything confidential or private, and people are like "well he's the CONSTABLE so whatever" and its never really treated as anything but a mild annoyance

ds9 dropped the ball there imo, they were so good at looking at the tensions between federation talk and federation walk and the realities of post-scarcity paradise earth and the frontier, but they really oughta dragged odo into the light and made everybody very uncomfortable about how he was unapologetic about preferring cardassian 'justice' and he totally ignored federation civil rights as a matter of course and it was tolerated because HE GOT RESULTS GOD DAMMIT
like he could have spied on a suspected vulcan arms dealer or sth and tried to bust them and then it turns out the vulcan was an intelligence operative and the whole thing embarrassed the vulcans so badly they were determined to see odo hung out to dry. u know, a real solid courtroom ep

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

MikeJF posted:

It also shows so many seeds of Battlestar Galactica.

Absolutely. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if when he went home from this interview he started writing the pilot.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

FrensaGeran posted:

The opening scene involves NEW ALIENS capturing Martok and then MYSTERIOUS FIGURE IN THE SHADOWS beats them all up with his super space kung fu and saves him.

You'll never guess who. it's Worf

Only way to make that work is to do it in a grindhouse style.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

star trek grindhouse series produced by tarantino is something i can get behind

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

i don't know what marx and bakunin have to do with star trek but i can't stop laughing at this edit

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
When you docked here, did you notice a beacon out in front of my starbase that said "Dead Andorian Storage?"

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Germstore posted:

When you docked here, did you notice a beacon out in front of my starbase that said "Dead Spoonhead Storage?"

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

sinking belle posted:

i don't know what marx and bakunin have to do with star trek but i can't stop laughing at this edit

b/c my brain is internet mush i can only ever reemmber sweet marx and hella bakunin and not the original, so i just rolled with that one

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
lmao but bakunin should be ron moore

and marx should be rick berman

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I was watching Star Trek Renegades and the big bad blue alien seems awfully similar to the big bad green alien in Galaxy Quest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2Wgop9VLM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGajDTNKFU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Never heard of this Renegades thing before. What's the deal?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pneub posted:

Literally re-shoot the entirety of House of Cards, except Kevin Spacey has Fegengi ears the whole time.

Every morning Kevin Spacey heads down to the Klingon Chef's for some homemade Carolina-style gagh.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Chomp8645 posted:

pre-reboot traditional star trek nerd death rattle after being taken off the "real studio" media respirator

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Fan film that has Tuvok and I believe Chekov.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

muscles like this? posted:

Fan film that has Tuvok and I believe Chekov.

Its got Icheb and you dont need to bother listing any other old cast names once the 'cheb is on the marquee.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Axanar looks like it might legit be good if it ever gets finished

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It makes me sad that even if Axanar is genuinely no-fooling good it'll never escape the gravity well that is the stigma for fan-productions and no one who isn't already deep into Trek will give it a shot.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Its got Icheb and you dont need to bother listing any other old cast names once the 'cheb is on the marquee.

Pssshhhhh

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Blazing Ownager posted:

He's not wrong though, it's worth going from season 1 up (even with a few early misfires) because while it's mixing in TNG stuff, it ALSO is builting the mythology that impacts the rest of the series. If you skip anything.. just skip Move Along Home. All the Bajorian stuff and the major players there get established all the way back in Season 1 including, as mentioned, Garak.

Even Move Along Home was important for establishing Quark's character, and later Quark-centric episodes were some of the best of the series. Yeah, Move Along Home had some serious campy TOS elements to it, but developing the Ferengi beyond stupid clumsy capitalists metaphor was one of the things that really set DS9 apart, and Move Along Home was, I think, the first episode that really looked into Quark as a person and not as a stereotype.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
idk what anybody says move along home is fun

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Move Along Home is fun but its structure is the worst soft of high camp, writers room stench, low buy-in acting. audience gets it long before the cast does plot, and capped off with the 'now lets never speak of that again' finish that epitomizes bad serialized trek.

What I'm saying is there isnt a lot of Garak in it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Need to add in The Walking Dead. I mean zombies are still popular, right? You could have a zombie crewman! This show will print money.

We already said Game of Thrones. It's basically Walking Dead meets Lord of the Rings meets the Borgias.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

caleramaen posted:

the Borgias.

The woman that played Caterina Sforza playing Janeway as a Caterina Sfortza-figure would have been the best incarnation of Voyager ever. Cut the throat of a thousand captive Kaizon Nistroms at the gates of Kazon Nistrom city, just as a sign of welcome to start the 'peace negotiations' with the Kaizon Nistrom ambassador, to show him that Caterina Janeway means business. gently caress Q and steals his clothes and shares his naked pictures around the quadrant just because. Cut off Tuvok's ear points when he protests so he can think like a Human from now on.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Move Along Home is fun but its structure is the worst soft of high camp, writers room stench, low buy-in acting. audience gets it long before the cast does plot, and capped off with the 'now lets never speak of that again' finish that epitomizes bad serialized trek.

Had it been written for TOS, it would be among the best 5 episodes and highly praised.

That's how bad TOS is. Unwatchable garbage.

(I watched all of it. Twice. Probably will watch it again in the future.)

The Bible fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I have the pattern to replicate more!

• Locked thread