Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

That's an analog phone line spliced into a cat 5 cable. It's a complete butcher job of a splice, but it's a perfectly appropriate use of the cable, and it probably works just fine. Since it's all low-voltage, there's no safety issue here unless someone trips over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Powered Descent posted:

That's an analog phone line spliced into a cat 5 cable. It's a complete butcher job of a splice, but it's a perfectly appropriate use of the cable, and it probably works just fine. Since it's all low-voltage, there's no safety issue here unless someone trips over it.

It's low voltage but the ring is 90Vac (20Hz) atop a constant 48Vdc. Probably won't kill you but you still might get an unpleasant shock if the wiring is exposed.

The DSL connection might be a little wonky too.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

It's important to use all the recommended safety gear when working with timber.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

flosofl posted:

Did... did they leave it in neutral and not use tie down bolts?

It looks like the car is on a sled, and the entire sled drops

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ika posted:

It looks like the car is on a sled, and the entire sled drops

For some reason, that makes it funnier.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Powered Descent posted:

Hold onto them and let me ring the landline.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Those race car tires should have 1G of lateral grip, so even if the platform was vertical the car should have been okay.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Delta Echo posted:

Those race car tires should have 1G of lateral grip, so even if the platform was vertical the car should have been okay.

I’m not sure if this is a joke, but that’s not how friction works.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Delta Echo posted:

If you're vertical, wouldn't the resultant force between the tires and the platform be zero? :psyduck:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Selklubber posted:

I'm imagining that's his head rolling away at the end.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
yes it was a joke.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Platystemon posted:

I’m not sure if this is a joke, but that’s not how friction works.

He is probably the star of his own OSHA gif irl but he just likes to troll threads.

goodness fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 8, 2015

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

I do teledata and, while not particularly unsafe, this still makes me cringe.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

"When this baby hits 88 miles per hour... You're gonna see some serious poo poo"

Lol

Fallows fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 8, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Props to Blue Car Driver on the fast reactions.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

that fukkin hubcap

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I've decided to finally go back and read all the books I've never read but have meant to, and this weekend decided to pick up The Jungle.

:stonk:

I nominate it for official thread book.

I'm at the part where Jurgis gets work at the fertilizer factory and boy it is just not getting any better is it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is the audio in that Mythbusters cement truck video legit or is it ADR? As many times as I've seen it I've always thought it sounded fake.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Code Jockey posted:

I've decided to finally go back and read all the books I've never read but have meant to, and this weekend decided to pick up The Jungle.

Upton Sinclair aimed for your heart and hit you in your stomach.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is the audio in that Mythbusters cement truck video legit or is it ADR? As many times as I've seen it I've always thought it sounded fake.

It's legit. The noise of the explosion was so incredibly loud that it overwhelmed the microphone and that's all you got.

You encounter the same thing pretty often with guns. I recorded myself shooting at an indoor range today and the noise on video was almost all the high tones and background echo that sounds nothing like the real thing. The real sound of a gun going off indoors is a very deep boom that thumps in your chest, and I've never once found a microphone that accurately picks it up. That explosion was probably very similar in tone, but loud enough to permanently break your ears at that distance.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Delta Echo posted:

yes it was a joke.

I thought Ken M had arrived in the thread for a moment there.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Selklubber posted:

I've seen stranger mating rituals.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

When I first saw this I thought it was some temporary thing to keep the wires up while they were working but nope, i't's been six months now since I first saw it. The bamboo poles aren't anchored or anything.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
https://i.imgur.com/V1bFWYl.webm

Let me just catch the cheesy side of the pizza that just came out of the oven...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Budgie posted:

https://i.imgur.com/V1bFWYl.webm

Let me just catch the cheesy side of the pizza that just came out of the oven...

Dipshit in white should have done a better job getting the fucker onto the screen.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.facebook.com/dale.longclaws/videos/10153301196482525/?fref=nf

I'm guessing he put his truck in gear when trying to hook up a trailer. Question is, what's the proper/safe way to stop a vehicle that's doing that?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
JUMP IN HERO

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

copy / paste:

When I went to work for a steel company in the mid 90's we got the lesson of not messing with train cars from an old timer that had been at the mill for decades.
He had pictures and a story. The guy that had gotten coupled, stuck in the couplers of two connecting train cars, asked that pictures be taken and his mistake be used as an example for future workers. So the old timer had some pretty intense pictures.
The first thing they do is set up a tent around you. Not a big tent, but enough to give you privacy, because as soon as those cars are uncoupled, you're dead. They tarp off the bottom of the coupler, so that you don't get the image that you're talking to just a torso. They ask who you want to see before you die, if you have a wife, a priest, co-workers or anyone else that you want to say your last words to. They also get a doctor on-site to administer drugs and final care to you. All of this happens very quickly, because you don't have a ton of time, but it is a slow death.
The old timer had pictures of the guy coupled, the tent being set up, the coupler being tarped, pictures of the wife entering in tears, pictures of the wife leaving in tears and pictures of what happened after the guy was uncoupled. The one that got me was the picture of his kids talking to him through the tent side, he wanted to tell his kids he loved them one last time, but didn't want them to see him in that condition.
It is not a user friendly experience. This guy got caught between the couplers because he thought he could beat a slow moving train car and against one of the train-worker's warnings, he gave it a shot anyway. He lost. When backing up a train with multiple cars, the cars can gain or lose speed quickly because couplers are not a rigid connection. It just so happened that he got in the middle just as the cars picked up a bit of speed, he hesitated and that was that.
After you say your goodbyes, and in this instance, the doctor loaded the guy up with a bunch of morphine (or pain killers) and they uncoupled the train, at which point every internal organ that was where it was supposed to be when the train was coupled, slid out and onto the ground and half a torso dropped out.
The old timer had pictures of it all, and during this class, everyone was either white as a ghost or dry heaving. It was silent and everyone was just listening to this older guy talk about losing his friend.
The class did it's job. I'd hear the train bells and immediately be aware of where the train was, what it was doing and what my proximity was to train tracks. Even to this day, I give trains plenty of respect and the sounds of train bells make a shiver run up my spine. Even though everyone went through this class, someone still got coupled in the time that I was working there. I didn't see anything but the white tent, but knew exactly what was going on.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That a workplace has a standard procedure for what to do when someone gets cut in half tells me that there's got to be a better way.

Is that guy in the gif doing things the way it's supposed to be? Are the people that get hurt getting in between the big bumper looking things sticking out or something else?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'd argue that directly down the axis of travel (literally between the rails) of the big fuckoff train is exactly where you shouldn't be.

I'd guess that the proper procedure is to gently bump into the next car and have a guy reach over the bumpers to attach the latch/collar thing he puts on, not have the train come flying in like that. But doing it right slows things down sooooo get in there, you big pussy.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CuteJen96 posted:

copy / paste:

When I went to work for a steel company in the mid 90's we got the lesson of not messing with train cars from an old timer that had been at the mill for decades.
He had pictures and a story. The guy that had gotten coupled, stuck in the couplers of two connecting train cars, asked that pictures be taken and his mistake be used as an example for future workers. So the old timer had some pretty intense pictures.
The first thing they do is set up a tent around you. Not a big tent, but enough to give you privacy, because as soon as those cars are uncoupled, you're dead. They tarp off the bottom of the coupler, so that you don't get the image that you're talking to just a torso. They ask who you want to see before you die, if you have a wife, a priest, co-workers or anyone else that you want to say your last words to. They also get a doctor on-site to administer drugs and final care to you. All of this happens very quickly, because you don't have a ton of time, but it is a slow death.
The old timer had pictures of the guy coupled, the tent being set up, the coupler being tarped, pictures of the wife entering in tears, pictures of the wife leaving in tears and pictures of what happened after the guy was uncoupled. The one that got me was the picture of his kids talking to him through the tent side, he wanted to tell his kids he loved them one last time, but didn't want them to see him in that condition.
It is not a user friendly experience. This guy got caught between the couplers because he thought he could beat a slow moving train car and against one of the train-worker's warnings, he gave it a shot anyway. He lost. When backing up a train with multiple cars, the cars can gain or lose speed quickly because couplers are not a rigid connection. It just so happened that he got in the middle just as the cars picked up a bit of speed, he hesitated and that was that.
After you say your goodbyes, and in this instance, the doctor loaded the guy up with a bunch of morphine (or pain killers) and they uncoupled the train, at which point every internal organ that was where it was supposed to be when the train was coupled, slid out and onto the ground and half a torso dropped out.
The old timer had pictures of it all, and during this class, everyone was either white as a ghost or dry heaving. It was silent and everyone was just listening to this older guy talk about losing his friend.
The class did it's job. I'd hear the train bells and immediately be aware of where the train was, what it was doing and what my proximity was to train tracks. Even to this day, I give trains plenty of respect and the sounds of train bells make a shiver run up my spine. Even though everyone went through this class, someone still got coupled in the time that I was working there. I didn't see anything but the white tent, but knew exactly what was going on.

I hear this story alot. The "we kept them alive pinned between two heavy things until their family came to say goodbye :qq:"

How often does it happen.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

There's a pretty good ep of Homicide: Life on the Street where a guy gets pinned between a subway car and the platform

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

KoRMaK posted:

I hear this story alot. The "we kept them alive pinned between two heavy things until their family came to say goodbye :qq:"

Never, because it's an urban legend that gets repeated for every industry.

Not that people don't get crushed or splattered, but there's no multi-hour family ritual to go with injuries not compatible with life.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
It must be true. I saw it in a movie I saw in the past : Signs.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

CuteJen96 posted:

Duct tape and cable-ties would have prevented that.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

about as often as his friend's neighbour's uncle picking up a girl hitchhiking home from prom but when he got to her house she had disappeared from the car and OMG her parents said she died 2 years ago on this very day, dude IT WAS A GHOST HITCHHIKER HOLY poo poo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
gently caress yeah test cell failures

Seems pretty OSHA to me. But goddamn is that both terrifying and awesome.

I sure wouldn't wanna have a seat in the blades' plane of rotation if that happened on one of my flights

edit: on second thought I just wouldn't wanna have a seat on that plane, period

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

NSFW due to screaming profanity. Dude get's crushed between train cars, but they somehow get the cars stopped and pulled apart before he's strawberry jam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btr1wsEwTkE

I looked up train couplers and there seem to be a million different things that exist to couple cars that do not involve a human getting between cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

gently caress yeah test cell failures

Seems pretty OSHA to me. But goddamn is that both terrifying and awesome.

I sure wouldn't wanna have a seat in the blades' plane of rotation if that happened on one of my flights

edit: on second thought I just wouldn't wanna have a seat on that plane, period

Well, part of the point of those tests is to see if the engine will contain the blades in the event of a failure.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 8, 2015

• Locked thread