Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

Thanks for curing me of any desire to resub to FFXIV.

What the gently caress is up with actually playing the game, am I right? There's all this content in the way! Nobody wants that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Gildiss posted:

What the gently caress is up with actually playing the game, am I right? There's all this content in the way! Nobody wants that!

Someone link him the Legendary Ring quest from Warlords of Draenor, the thing that even Flex groups will often harass you for not having. While I think it should have been trimmed down, it's ridiculous how much play that chart gets as anything other than "The Entirety of FFXIV's Post-Launch Content".

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

No LFR is still a thing. Its the lowest tier of content, followed by flex normal, flex heroic and then mythic.

Also please dont listen to ANet when they try to hype you up for something. They'll deliver it half made, then they'll forget about it and move one to the next thing they need to hype you about. They are the equivalent of a kid with ADHD.

Oh, they definitely are. If we actually see another elite spec for each profession I'll be legitimately shocked. They keep saying that this is the "foundation" for future development, but they've said that about so many things they've already abandoned, so y'know. I feel the same way about Masteries, too, which is actually kind of a shame because gliding around in Verdant Brink over the weekend was kind of fun.

That's why my assumption about raids is "a dungeon for 10 people," because anything else would be buying into their attempts to hype us up on how "hardcore" it'll be.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

orcane posted:

Not having tank-healer-DPS trinity doesn't make it an action game.

The design is pseudo-action combat through and through: dodge rolling to avoid major attacks, telegraphs with visually-queued windup attacks, a plethora of non-homing attacks that depend on direction/location/etc. If it wasn't designed to be an action game, then it's the weirdest loving turn-based game I've seen.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Niton posted:

Someone link him the Legendary Ring quest from Warlords of Draenor, the thing that even Flex groups will often harass you for not having. While I think it should have been trimmed down, it's ridiculous how much play that chart gets as anything other than "The Entirety of FFXIV's Post-Launch Content".

MMOs are a sickness, but you can be cured of them. Once you realize that all of the content is unfun garbage, you will be set free.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Video games are good, but they aren't fun.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Gildiss posted:

calm down

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Niton posted:

The thing with the legendary ring though is that no one will care about you having it in WoW's next expansion, but you'll always have to do those quests to progress in FFXIV. Much as I enjoy the game the sheer amount of stuff you have to go through at 50 is simply crazy and it would definitely benefit from being abridged to just the highlights of it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Gildiss posted:

Yeah all that enticing content like running to an NPC, clicking through asinine JRPG dialogue, then getting sent to the next NPC to do the same thing. I'm pretty sure not a lot of people want that if they could be playing new expansion stuff (even though that might also turn out to be clicking NPCs a lot, but it's NEW and it's probably what their guild mates who've been playing longer might be doing).

They should just make that poo poo optional sidequests. I bought the expansion and played it maybe for five minutes because those quests were pissing me off even before the expansion launched.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
isn't running to NPCs to read their JRPG dialogue kind of the point of final fantasy games

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Smart Car posted:

The thing with the legendary ring though is that no one will care about you having it in WoW's next expansion, but you'll always have to do those quests to progress in FFXIV. Much as I enjoy the game the sheer amount of stuff you have to go through at 50 is simply crazy and it would definitely benefit from being abridged to just the highlights of it.

The catch here is you can level every job on one character so there's really never any need for you to run things more than once unless you want alts to RP with or something.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

RottenK posted:

calm down

Don't you understand you have committed the most heinous of crimes? Daring to not praise Final Fantasy 14 or Guild Wars 2. The goon fuckery must end! You will be stripped of your goon rank and privileges and banned from EVE and Star Citizen for all times.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Morglon posted:

Don't you understand you have committed the most heinous of crimes? Daring to not praise Final Fantasy 14 or Guild Wars 2. The goon fuckery must end! You will be stripped of your goon rank and privileges and banned from EVE and Star Citizen for all times.

Worth noting that even the people who like GW2 routinely call lots of parts of it lovely. For example,

Kessel posted:

That's because they're loving terrible. They were products of a company that had decided to shed the trinity but didn't actually know what to do without it.

The dumb no-trinity game is now three years old and its developers have finally figured out the basics of what not to do when designing encounters.

Perhaps the best source of people not praising Guild Wars 2 is the Guild Wars 2 thread.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Smart Car posted:

You're 100% right; I just think the way the comparison is made is sort of funny. I think you could trim about a third off of the 2.x series without anyone noticing, and a bit more without anyone caring. The 2.1 and 2.2 filler is the worst part of FFXIV.

RottenK posted:

isn't running to NPCs to read their JRPG dialogue kind of the point of final fantasy games

also this

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I, too, play MMOs for their story.

That's why Wildstar is so awesome!

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The catch here is you can level every job on one character so there's really never any need for you to run things more than once unless you want alts to RP with or something.

I say it less of a issue with alts and moreso a issue with new players, let say I want to invite my friend to play with me and he really want to play a dark knight, but he not only have to go though the 1-50 story but the year and a half worth of patch story where you run around, doing meaningless poo poo for most of it and force to run outdated content just to get to every bit of content of the new expansion outside of rolling the new race.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I wonder if you've ever been introduced to the concept of a bell curve?

If you totaled up all the players in any active MMO I'm pretty sure only 2-3% would actually be involved with the raid/"end game" content at any time, so yes I'm familiar with what a bell curve is and where raids sit on it. The more hoops you're made to jump through for it, the further into the horizontal it is.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I'm going to need everyone to tell me their intentions regarding subscribing to final fantasy fourteen before further posting. If you do think that you won't subscribe please give me a clear 50-100 word explanation about it. Don't neglect referencing the barriers to your enjoyment of the game such as "it's an mmo" and "it has a story". In addition if you have feelings regarding those who enjoy the game, I will require a separate form describing that as well.

I know this seems excessive but it's literally the only way we can move on to any other loving subject

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I still dont get why you are arguing. This content can be completed by just about anyone with that really wants to, even if they are functionally retarded, by using lower difficulty levels. Something like 70% of the active cap level population in WoW completed at least one wing in a raid thanks to LFR, this rate has remained consistent through the new raids and expansions. There is no barrier of entry, if they aren't clearing it its because they just dont want to.

Do you seriously want higher difficulty versions to be easy enough for the entire population to clear? Are you ok for this to apply to every other game in existence because they too paid money for the game and are entitled to clear it just the same?

e-Likewise just about everyone thats entered normal Alexander have cleared it.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 8, 2015

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm going to need everyone to tell me their intentions regarding subscribing to final fantasy fourteen before further posting. If you do think that you won't subscribe please give me a clear 50-100 word explanation about it. Don't neglect referencing the barriers to your enjoyment of the game such as "it's an mmo" and "it has a story". In addition if you have feelings regarding those who enjoy the game, I will require a separate form describing that as well.

I know this seems excessive but it's literally the only way we can move on to any other loving subject

I think I'm at the point in my life where I get that MMOs are poo poo. I still like the idea of them, because messing around with a bunch of jerks to have fun killing space dragons sounds like a good time. But in practice, they're all just so drat boring.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Argas posted:

Super Robot Wars

For some reason I assumed it was an MMO. :v:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Thursday Next posted:

I think I'm at the point in my life where I get that MMOs are poo poo. I still like the idea of them, because messing around with a bunch of jerks to have fun killing space dragons sounds like a good time. But in practice, they're all just so drat boring.

At their core it's always gonna be do repetitive thing for a treat, usually a shirt with +1 to what you're wearing.

But I'm over 30 and I don't have time to waste on them like I used to, thus why FFXIV's content gating is annoying.

Finally got to Heavensward. I appreciate the warning to set aside adequate time for the one-two punch of Metal Gear length cutscenes where the NPCs I'd grown to hate all died... except twink elf and Tataru. :argh:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Flesh Forge posted:

If you totaled up all the players in any active MMO I'm pretty sure only 2-3% would actually be involved with the raid/"end game" content at any time, so yes I'm familiar with what a bell curve is and where raids sit on it.

You're actually verifiably wrong about that.

Time to get the backpedal goalpost moving no true scotsman argument about why you're actually right. I can't wait.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've never raided in an MMO and even I refuse to believe that raiders are as low as 2-3% of the population. It has to be a lot more than that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You're actually verifiably wrong about that.

Time to get the backpedal goalpost moving no true scotsman argument about why you're actually right. I can't wait.

I don't have WoW's statistics available, but let me back you up on that for FFXIV:

This is as of the 21st, so 2 weeks and some change ago. Even being very liberal with active sub numbers, there's no way that's lower than 20%. Do note that this number is cleared rather than entered, as the picture says.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anoia posted:

At their core it's always gonna be do repetitive thing for a treat, usually a shirt with +1 to what you're wearing.

That really is the fundamental issue with MMOs: they have a business model dependent on keeping players playing for as long as possible, but the realities of game development mean there will always be a finite amount of content. So they find ways to stretch what content there is, usually via gating the real rewards behind repetition.

It's what will eventually make every MMO a lovely game in one way or another. I'd love to see some magical unicorn MMO that cuts out all the grinding and, when it inevitably has to have you repeat content, it manages to vary it up every time, but I doubt that will happen.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Harrow posted:

. I'd love to see some magical unicorn MMO that cuts out all the grinding and, when it inevitably has to have you repeat content, it manages to vary it up every time, but I doubt that will happen.

It's DOTA

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Rexicon1 posted:

It's DOTA

I want someone to make a game that's DotA, but PvE. That's all I want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Niton posted:

I want someone to make a game that's DotA, but PvE. That's all I want.

This, please. I think I'd really enjoy that. Multiplayer dungeon runs where you pick a character at the start and level up and "build" your character over the course of the dungeon would be really fun. You get to enjoy gathering equipment and trying out character builds but don't really have to care about long-term progression or anything.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Did You Mean: The entire Roguelike Genre?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does Wildstar even have active raid guilds right now

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

gently caress progression.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

Does Wildstar even have active raid guilds right now

A bunch, yes. Go look at the subreddit, they post all their clear announcements for some reason there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Did You Mean: The entire Roguelike Genre?

Roguelikes are great but generally don't have the multiplayer part.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Morglon posted:

calm down

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Anoia posted:

But I'm over 30 and I don't have time to waste on them like I used to, thus why FFXIV's content gating is annoying.

Finally got to Heavensward. I appreciate the warning to set aside adequate time for the one-two punch of Metal Gear length cutscenes where the NPCs I'd grown to hate all died... except twink elf and Tataru. :argh:

it makes sense that they are alive

tataru is good

and ffxiv community seems to like the twink elf, though i worry that it may be for reasons that probably mean that i shouldn't GIS his name with safe search off. But maybe i'm just a bit jaded

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

This, please. I think I'd really enjoy that. Multiplayer dungeon runs where you pick a character at the start and level up and "build" your character over the course of the dungeon would be really fun. You get to enjoy gathering equipment and trying out character builds but don't really have to care about long-term progression or anything.

Diablo 3 says hi!

It even has elitist competitive scoreboards.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
diablo solves the issue of grinding and character progression?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Niton posted:

I don't have WoW's statistics available, but let me back you up on that for FFXIV:

This is as of the 21st, so 2 weeks and some change ago. Even being very liberal with active sub numbers, there's no way that's lower than 20%. Do note that this number is cleared rather than entered, as the picture says.

I feel that for all the hate FFXIV gets for content gating, at least forcing people to do dungeons preps them a bit better compared to WoW where you can never touch any group content and jump into LFR. Also the fact that it's 8-man content so it's far easier to see if you're contributing or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I know WoW has a training mode called Proving Grounds that need to be done before being able to queue for level 100 heroic dungeons, which screens out the worst of the worst. Are they required for LFR too?

• Locked thread