Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Gimbal lock posted:

Jesus why does literally 80% of matches end up 4 vs 3? This is unplayable.

people not getting lan adaptors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
This game urgently needs better player loss mitigation.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Gimbal lock posted:

This game urgently needs better player loss mitigation.

Agreed. I'm not sure what the solution is though.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Something is really off when you score highest in kills with the Aerospray in ranked. That being said, the silver one is surprisingly good for Rainmaker.

Throwing a seeker before grabbing the Rainmaker or throwing it right after the enemy breaks it can let you run away with it which can really get you far if they're unprepared, or let your team regroup while you take a small lead if they're all dead.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

CatsPajamas posted:

My issue with the Carbon Roller has been I never seem to get a one-hit splat with it, but it seems like good Rollers have mastered the "jump-splash that outranges shooters for one hit splat" trick. For Chargers I think my issue is just needing aim better and faster.
That's because you can't do a one-shot with the Carbon from full health (its technique for kills is to do Burst Canceling or whatever they call it to use a bomb with an attack to get the Time To Kill one of the lowest in the game). It's normally more viable than the two types of brushes but if you like stealth/breaking lines you should try them out (I think Octobrush is more favorable, but technically it's slower with better coverage?). If you're practicing aggression and feigning and want something normal I'd suggest the Krak-On and maximize Special related gear (like Tenacity) to pop it all the time in dire straits. The Dynamo is its own beast and is kind of a weird wide sniper rifle (I wrote a bigish post about it if you want to click on the ? to find it) that, in the right hands and conditions can be super aggressive (also like Chargers), though probably less so with newer weapons and increased bomb builds.

Inflammatory posted:

people not getting lan adaptors
I want one but can't convince myself the cost and time because I'd have to run more cable on top of it and it'd just be for Splatoon. My personal experience is the game runs better during Splatfests so I'm monkey-wishing that they patch in regional matchmaking as an option.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the squid squad balance of "smaller team respawns faster" is a good idea, but it needs to be even faster.

night slime
May 14, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

AI replacement

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Of all the that are going to kill my interest in Splaroon, these one map marathons are probably going to be it.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Doom Goon posted:

That's because you can't do a one-shot with the Carbon from full health

it can, you just need to be close and/or lucky.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I made a mistake of responding to some idiot on reddit about stacking damage up (don't do this) and I wanna punch myself.

S88 is my new record. Getting S+ is pretty insane. You have win more than 2:1 of your matches to get ahead.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Few things fill me with more joy than watching the person who killed me trundle over my mine and blow up on the kill cam.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
The lag in this game just puzzles me sometimes...in the same match I'll go from everything happening noticeably late (invisible bombs/seekers, getting 1 shotted by weapons that take 5 or 6 hits to kill, dying after I've already turned a corner to avoid that charger) - to the complete opposite where those same people are just standing around for me to pick off and kill (and their aim has miraculously gone to poo poo)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Internet Kraken posted:

Few things fill me with more joy than watching the person who killed me trundle over my mine and blow up on the kill cam.

I also enjoy this. :love: New Squiffer

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I splatted somebody this morning, then immediately spent the next few seconds trying and utterly failing to squid up and through a tiny wall/fence. It took me four tries.

I know they saw me.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Parasol Prophet posted:

I splatted somebody this morning, then immediately spent the next few seconds trying and utterly failing to squid up and through a tiny wall/fence. It took me four tries.

I know they saw me.

I hate that part of Urchin Underpass. Most times I get stuck on that stupid bit.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Parasol Prophet posted:

I know they saw me.

Don't try to jump through that grate, just hold up.

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
So who was organizing ranked squid squads? I'd love to have another round with some goons and do some recording.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

giffan posted:

So who was organizing ranked squid squads? I'd love to have another round with some goons and do some recording.

I'm doing them on Sundays. 6-8pm CST for now.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

giffan posted:

There are like 6-8 of us in #splagoons on synirc who do squads in the evenings (EST) and we'd love more players since we don't always have 4 people on simultaneously.

LethalGeek posted:

I made a mistake of responding to some idiot on reddit about stacking damage up (don't do this) and I wanna punch myself.

S88 is my new record. Getting S+ is pretty insane. You have win more than 2:1 of your matches to get ahead.

I've been wondering why I see it so much on non-chargers and I guess the answer is that people just don't understand how it works in spite of the fact that the strategy guide spells it out and you can easily test it in the firing range.

Oddly enough the new metagame with Japanese players is Defense Up. This amuses me because it's almost certainly a reaction to so much Damage Up use, but it's the worst thing to take in such a metagame since the only other use case for Damage Up is negating Defense Up so you may as well be taking no mods at all :laugh:

I've seen so many Japanese players with the 3-star Squidforce Defense Up pink sweater rerolled to have 3 Attack Up that it actually makes me angry since those mods are poo poo and it looks like poo poo

Edit: There are so many better mods to use god drat

Ink savers and the special-related ones are all good, and that's not even counting the powerful one-offs like Ninja Squid, Stealth Jump, Ink Resist, Cold Blooded, etc.. and yet all you see are the useless ones like the run/swim speed, damage, and defense ones on the high-rank players

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 8, 2015

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Inflammatory posted:

it can, you just need to be close and/or lucky.
Oh, you're right the Carbon Roller does have 125 (25 at max range). Its range is even smaller than the Octobrush which is probably what I was misremembering. I'm guessing Damage Up would help because the spread is tighter and weird to eyeball, and maybe Ink Resistance though not as well as the other rollers because its faster anyways if you need to haul? Another weapon I've wanted to spend more time with.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Shame evening for you guys is morning the next day for us Aussie squids.

Also forgot to mention, my Ika shirt from Editmode arrived yesterday. :feelsgood:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
A 300 page art book is getting released in Japan on the 10th October.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/08087698.html

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Want.

We should be getting our splatfest theme today.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Champeenship posted:

A 300 page art book is getting released in Japan on the 10th October.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201509/08087698.html

October is going to be expensive.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
More swag: Splatoon calendar for next year, so you'll keep track on being fresh.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
That artbook looks sick. I checked out the concept art exhibit that's currently on view at Nintendo World NY, it's fascinating.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

giffan posted:

Get on Discord and/or IRC. Not all of us are always around for a splatting, but we consistently seem to do a squad a night.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: There are so many better mods to use god drat

Ink savers and the special-related ones are all good, and that's not even counting the powerful one-offs like Ninja Squid, Stealth Jump, Ink Resist, Cold Blooded, etc.. and yet all you see are the useless ones like the run/swim speed, damage, and defense ones on the high-rank players
Next to none of them use cold blooded because of this and when I actually use an echo locator it turns into a blood bath as my team will almost always just ruin anyone with a mark on them. This is because this is a game about stealth not power so having a big bullseye on you is a much bigger issue than maybe splatting someone in 2 shots instead of 3. I forget the stealth part sometimes and that's when I have a really bad game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BattleMaster posted:

I've seen so many Japanese players with the 3-star Squidforce Defense Up pink sweater rerolled to have 3 Attack Up that it actually makes me angry since those mods are poo poo and it looks like poo poo

gently caress this shirt its the most hideous thing ever created. It looks like something a senile grandmother would wear.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Splat zones: win about 80% of the time
Rainmaker: win about 20% of the time

Why is this? Someone walk me through your rainmaker strategy, as I guess I'm just dead weight here.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tatsuta Age posted:

Why is this? Someone walk me through your rainmaker strategy, as I guess I'm just dead weight here.

What guns do you use?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Count Uvula posted:

What guns do you use?

I switch between Aerospray, Splattershot Jr, and the roller w/ the kraken sub when I'm feeling like a real rear end in a top hat.

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Something with more range probably wouldn't hurt you in rainmaker.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I couldn't begin to tell you because Splatzones is the worst mode in the game. Everything about it is the antithesis of what makes the game fun.

Bad players in Rainmaker grab the thing and rush the goal, which is rarely a good idea. Grab the thing and wait and see if your team can punch a good hole for you and go. Otherwise if you don't have it you should be in front of whomever literally taking hits for the team and making said hole in the ink for that person to rush through. Never use it as a weapon unless you have no other choice.

Oh and if you have a krakon special, splatted enemies, and someone's carrying the rainmaker you should create a big line for them right to the post. This is how most matches end in < 1 minute.

Edit: If you're winning and it's under a minute in the match, camp that son of a bitch. E-Honor is for B ranks :colbert:

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Sep 8, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
I don't exactly know how you win Rainmaker matches, but in my experience you have to try different routes if your team mates keep banging their heads on one side. I know I helped win a couple of matches when they were busy in another part by carrying the BFG another route, usually that catches the other side by surprise. And even if you don't get to dunk it, you've managed to push it enough to make a difference. Or not.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Weapon dependant a little. For Rainmaker I play with either the Aerospray MG (The one with Seekers) or something with Beakons.

For the aerospray or anything with seekers (Inkzooka could work too), throwing a seeker after the enemy breaks the Rainmaker is good to either grab it and run as fast (if your whole team is dead or respawning) as you can or splat the person trying to grab it. Throwing a Seeker before grabbing the Rainmaker can also give you a path to use after if you need to move quickly.

For the Krak-on I would watch the map and set up beakons. Try to go a direction other people aren't going to help build up the Kraken if you like using it. The Krakon is really useful for making a path for the person holding the Rainmaker, so decide whether to take people out with it or see if you can make a beeline to the goal.

Some general tips: don't break the shield until you're ready to pick it up. Half the reason the Seeker thing works is because the whole team advances without grabbing the rainmaker, and if they let someone get past it'll take them a while to run back to their base.

Hide behind corners if the shield is going to break. It can ink the ground around them but it can't hurt you. With the Krak-on, you can probably take out the person who grabs it before getting splatted, which should give your team time to respawn. The seeker thing could work if they dont grab it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

I couldn't begin to tell you because Splatzones is the worst mode in the game. Everything about it is the antithesis of what makes the game fun.

I feel like it's the opposite for me. Splat zones are the most fun for me because they're basically just rapid-fire games of king of the hill.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
In Rainmaker you must know when to move, do so cautiously, only when your teammates are there to support you. But also never back down and take every risk and just loving run to the goal so those losers don't know how the match ended in twelve seconds.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Tatsuta Age posted:

I switch between Aerospray, Splattershot Jr, and the roller w/ the kraken sub when I'm feeling like a real rear end in a top hat.

Well you have no real way of dealing with the rainmaker with any of those, you can't contribute to defense very well. The kraken roller is alright in rainmaker, but the carbon and dynamo rollers are both better for the mode, one because you can pave a path for the rainmaker more quickly and the other because you can slaughter people if used right.

I can't think of what a good murderous alternative to the Aerospray/Splattershot Jr would be. Maybe the dual squelcher? .96 Gal is great in Rainmaker, and the Splattershot Pro is about halfway between the .96 and other shooters.

The ideal situation for the Rainmaker is having an ally carve a safe path for you; you're only visible to the enemy when charging the Rainmaker, so side paths made by an ally can let you get to the goal without the enemies even noticing. Be that ally when you can, and look at where your allies are going when you have it to see if any of them are taking a good path for you to follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Splatzones suck less now that they've fixed the really bad maps for it (Underpass & Mall) but it still creates situations where you have to try to rush to a specific point that doesn't move, so the people winning can pick dozens of places to watch the 3-4 paths in and pop you before you can react. I watched this happen a ton on Mall yesterday on both sides of the coin. It sucks. Every other mode everything is moving so much so fast that you can't really find a nice spot to wait for easy kills to come to you.

Throw that in that with despite it being the oldest ranked mode people still manage to royally gently caress it up all the time. I watched I don't know how many people clear their area of enemy squids and then just.....I don't know what they were doing. But I do know they didn't recapture the zone they were standing in because they simply weren't paying attention. Tower & Rainmaker are way better ranked modes and turf war only gets that one sided if a team is seriously worse than the other.

• Locked thread