Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm sorry to extend the Dan Harmon derail, but can someone expand on "paintball"? Like is it just an episode where the characters all play paintball and their interpersonal relationships play out on the battlefield? That sounds like it could be good, but maybe only because I have very fond memories of the paintball episode of Salute Your Shorts.

The paintball episodes were, in general, really good and among the show's best episodes. The premise of each episode is the school has a paintball tournament and end up offering an unexpectedly valuable prize for the last person standing, to the point where everyone takes it really seriously and turns the school grounds into a warzone where all the main and secondary characters get involved. Each one has a theme of some movie genre like the post-apocalyptic thriller or westerns. I haven't watched the Yahoo seasons yet, but the ones in seasons 1-5 are great and the only complaint really is that they reused the concept so many times.

(also I'm counting the school-wide "the floor is made of lava" episode as a paintball episode because the premise is so similar)

Pakled fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The episodes were all extremely different.

Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!

Krinkle posted:

In the first season there was an episode where the dean announced a campus wide paintball tournament and the winner gets to choose their own schedule i.e. give yourself a five day weekend and no morning classes if you want so instead of a fun organized skirmish like he planned it breaks down instantly into a mad max style wasteland of betrayal and fragile alliances. It was a cool idea, a great episode, I made people give the show a chance because of this episode and the risks they took. The next season they did it again and it was like hah what if this became a thing can you imagine? The next season they did it again. The next season they did it again. Apparently in the yahoo series they loving did it again so basically by paintball we mean beating a dead horse into a gritty horse slurry and then splattering the equine colloidal paste even further just ruining the drapes and your nice white suit.

I mean when fonzie jumped the shark they didn't make him do it again next year and the year after. They didn't have "the shark jumping episode" become their thing. They said look at this cool thing alright now back to the regular show until we get cancelled and spin off.

Aren't you exaggerating a ton bit? There was only 3 or so of them in the 5 seasons Dan ran, and two were halves of the same thing.

There was one in season 1, a two-parter in season 2, and then one in season 6. There was a 4 second gag 'fake-flashback' to a paintball game that never happened in season 3, but are you really going to count that and say they ran it into the ground?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I was going off his numbers and he said he tossed in lava floor to round up. I am sorry for what I have done. I made several assumptions and also forgot the last three real seasons for various reasons.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's mostly that community constantly took well-received episodes and rehashed them. There was the paintball episode, then they did it again with a different genre, as a two-parter, then later they did it again. There was an episode where they built a school-wide pillow fort, then later they did it again. There was an episode where they played D&D, later they did it again.

That's why some people fear that R&M will turn into an idea-revisiting machine: another Meseeks episode (with a twist!), followed by the fourth Rixty Minutes episode (with a twist!), followed by another memory-parasite episode (with a twist!). That fear is ridiculously hyperbolic, but the internet is a hyperbole-generating machine.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

There's a difference between a premise and a story, and a lot of people here are confusing the two.

Nothing wrong with revisiting a premise as long as the story is different.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The whole point of Rick and Morty is that it's an idea-revisiting machine. Every episode is based on some sci-fi conceit that gets blown up and taken to extremes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's really not, but it sometimes is that way because that's how stories generally are.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
One difference between the original Rixty Minutes and the new episode is that in the first one Roiland was fed ideas by various writers, including Abed Gheith, and riffed on them while shitfaced in the sound booth. This season's episode will not have initial input of other writers and will be purestrain Roiland, so we'll see how that works

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

It's really not, but it sometimes is that way because that's how stories generally are.

Rick and Morty creators: 'We're pulling apart the tropes of sci-fi'

It's how Dan Harmon structures his shows. Act 1 is what we've seen before. Act 2 and 3 deconstruct it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 8, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tropes aren't stories.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

CelticPredator posted:

Tropes aren't stories.

And the person you responded to didn't say stories, they said "idea" and "conceit". You're wrong. Just like the other poster said, you're conflating "premise" with "story".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Glad that's all settled.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Glad that's all settled.

My tone kinda comes off as argumentative sometimes :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It wasn't your fault. I just misunderstood what you were saying.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I am the judger, and I judge that it was Lowtax's fault. You have been judged.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Anyway, I can still see why people wouldn't want R&M to revisit its own well too many times. There's potentially a difference between taking a common premise and doing your own spin on it, and taking a common premise and doing your own original spin on it and then trying to come up with another original spin of your own on it.

"22 minutes of a bunch of improv nonsense" is pretty open ended so hopefully re-doing a Rixty Minutes episode won't be a problem, but I can see why they don't wanna just do a Meeseeks episode every season.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

XboxPants posted:

"22 minutes of a bunch of improv nonsense" is pretty open ended so hopefully re-doing a Rixty Minutes episode won't be a problem, but I can see why they don't wanna just do a Meeseeks episode every season.

That's not even what the original episode was, though. It had one of the most touching stories in the entire show!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

a cop posted:

That's not even what the original episode was, though. It had one of the most touching stories in the entire show!

Despite how I described the episode, I agree with you. The premise is so open ended that they can go pretty much anywhere with it. It's literally "hey, let's take a look at every possible story that exists in the infinite possibilities of an unlimited multiverse", you can kinda take that in any direction you want.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ditocoaf posted:

It's mostly that community constantly took well-received episodes and rehashed them. There was the paintball episode, then they did it again with a different genre, as a two-parter, then later they did it again. There was an episode where they built a school-wide pillow fort, then later they did it again. There was an episode where they played D&D, later they did it again.

I would quibble with "rehashed" -- you can get more than one story out of a single premise, especially if you do them right. And in the first pillow-fort episode, that's just the B-story (if I'm getting the terminology right).

a cop posted:

Yeah, the other-dimensional TV bits were funny, but the Summer-and-Morty and Beth-and-Jerry stories were top-notch fantastic.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

The TV shows are more of a structuring element than the core plot of the episode itself. The benefit of it though is that it lets stories that would normally be relegated to B-plot be brought front and center while the insane improv does the heavy lifting on the comedy side.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jagchosis posted:

One difference between the original Rixty Minutes and the new episode is that in the first one Roiland was fed ideas by various writers, including Abed Gheith, and riffed on them while shitfaced in the sound booth. This season's episode will not have initial input of other writers and will be purestrain Roiland, so we'll see how that works

Hold me, I'm scared.

Seriously 'purestrain Roiland' just sounds to me like a one-way ticket to insanity. It's gonna be awesome, but I'm willing to bet it'll rustle jimmies one way or the other.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Been watching A Rickle in Time since that's what they're replaying this weekend instead of a new episode. I seriously burst out laughing every time the 4th-dimensional testicle monster just zooms in from the left during the middle of an argument and starts screaming at everybody to stop yelling. Times four. It's a perfectly done out-of-nowhere moment even when I know it's coming because there's just nothing leading up to it.

Also I noticed that when he cocks Chris he exposes a little round purple tip when he pulls the skin back :stonklol:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

If the episode is good, then I'm happy they made it

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Hazo posted:

Also I noticed that when he cocks Chris he exposes a little round purple tip when he pulls the skin back :stonklol:

Also Chris was a gun that made fetuses.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brightman posted:

Also Chris was a gun that made fetuses.

Does it turn you into another type of fetus or does it revert your timeline to literally you just after conception?

I can't enjoy the episode if I don't know this.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Does it turn you into another type of fetus or does it revert your timeline to literally you just after conception?

It just disintegrates you, the Testicle Monster has a fetus holster in his pant leg.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The paintball epsiodes of community were cool because the first one was completely new and was like die hard and all the other action movies you would want.

then they did it again, and it caught you off gaurd and your like "ok, lets see how they can keep it FRESH this time" and holy poo poo they do
then they do it again

then season 5, dont watch season 5

then season 6, only on yahoo, its schizophrenic harmon to the max. Abed is nearly full schizio seeing poo poo and it just keeps pushing the boundary. I like season 6 like I like Rick and Morty.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I would guess the latter given time shenanigans.

Entropic posted:

It just disintegrates you, the Testicle Monster has a fetus holster in his pant leg.

This made me laugh but sadly he doesn't have legs or pants.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I can't tell if he yells out I AM DEFEATED or not when Rick beats him, but that's what I heard and it makes me laugh every time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just wanted to pass along to the thread that Brad Anderson, beloved creator of the nationally syndicated comic strip Marmakduke has died. No longer will he be haunted on a near daily basis by thoughts of mutilation and sexual assaults.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

zoux posted:

I just wanted to pass along to the thread that Brad Anderson, beloved creator of the nationally syndicated comic strip Marmakduke has died. No longer will he be haunted on a near daily basis by thoughts of mutilation and sexual assaults.

there goes the last positive male role model morty jr. had

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dieting Hippo posted:

Morty Jr. Is probably already dead too. Male gazorpazorps (possibly females too) age very quickly.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Dieting Hippo posted:

He already made it, he's out of the woods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64kY66MpV4

Though no joke, in that clip Morty jr. reminds me almost exactly of a well-known writer I talk to in my country, though unlike Morty (who was just the regular kind of parent that messes up) his parents and grandma were legit hosed up.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

CrazyLoon posted:

He already made it, he's out of the woods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z64kY66MpV4

Though no joke, in that clip Morty jr. reminds me almost exactly of a well-known writer I talk to in my country, though unlike Morty (who was just the regular kind of parent that messes up) his parents and grandma were legit hosed up.

Morty actually was a pretty awful father to Morty jr: He kept him locked in the house, he threatened him with poison gas, and he never told him he was an alien until he was in his twenties. But to be fair Morty did the best he could with no help from anyone, and he kept Morty jr. alive and helped him find a career that didn't involve murdering people.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Yea, that last part is why I said 'regular parent that messes up'. Most do come to regret the mistakes they made, and at least try to make up for them (as Morty said - kids having kids = average parent). Legit shitbags still claim they did everything right, no matter how extreme and even if their kid hates them down to the core of their soul.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Morty actually was a pretty awful father to Morty jr: He kept him locked in the house, he threatened him with poison gas, and he never told him he was an alien until he was in his twenties. But to be fair Morty did the best he could with no help from anyone, and he kept Morty jr. alive and helped him find a career that didn't involve murdering people.

and Morty hopes he's eating enough

bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
As far as rehashing old episodes I'm cool with a Rixty Minutes every season but I'm content to just have occasional Meeseks popping up in the background. Maybe there can be a compromise with a Meeseeks only Ball Fondlers or something in the next Rixty Minutes.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the power goes out and Rick instructs a group of meeseeks to do an improv show until it comes back on

that would probably kill the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

FireWorksWell posted:

I can't tell if he yells out I AM DEFEATED or not when Rick beats him, but that's what I heard and it makes me laugh every time.

He does and it's amazing

• Locked thread