Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Just about finished fulfilling the sign-up bonus requirements of my second travel card and am deciding which ones to apply for next.

I appear to still have access to both the Amex 50k Premier Rewards Gold and the 100k Platinum offers. Additionally, it seems that the Starwood Rewards card has a promotion going on that ends on the 14th.

Based on some Reddit post, I have the impression that if I apply for an Amex charge and credit card in the same day, I will only have one hard pull performed. Anyone have any experience with that?

Additionally, thoughts on the PRG or Platinum? I don't really care about things like club access or concierge service, so I don't know about that $450 annual fee (I have no intention of keeping more than maybe one credit card with an annual fee for more than a year); I'm just trying to maximize miles/points/whatever pays for regular coast-to-coast travel, but everyone seemed pretty excited about the Platinum earlier.

6k of spend every three months is about the limit of what I can comfortably make without manufactured spending, which I am not really comfortable with.

I also have plenty of non-Amex options to pursue, but I'm going to be doing a lot of Costco shopping in the near future, so it seemed like an Amex might not be a terrible idea, at least until Costco switches credit card companies next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
There's a really good signup bonus for the Platinum card, but if you don't care about those benefits, long-term you're better with the PRG or Everyday Preferred for earning MR points.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you actually have a plan for the points your racking up? If you don't, then you should since otherwise you're likely to end up with points in a program that you don't use. Anyway, if you have the Amex 100k Plat targeted offer I'd apply for that before it expires. The $200 airline credit alone basically covers the annual fee as it's per calendar year. There are other benefits that are easily worth $50, lounge access and Global Entry/Precheck credit, etc. Then cancel when the annual fee comes around again as it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it for you and keep/apply for another Amex card that is better suited for your long term needs.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

asur posted:

Do you actually have a plan for the points your racking up? If you don't, then you should since otherwise you're likely to end up with points in a program that you don't use. Anyway, if you have the Amex 100k Plat targeted offer I'd apply for that before it expires. The $200 airline credit alone basically covers the annual fee as it's per calendar year. There are other benefits that are easily worth $50, lounge access and Global Entry/Precheck credit, etc. Then cancel when the annual fee comes around again as it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it for you and keep/apply for another Amex card that is better suited for your long term needs.

Yes, my plan is to cover via airline rewards. as many of the +/- monthly flights between the DC area and Los Angeles I'd like to make in order to sustain my long-distance relationship. Any travel I do for work will be infrequent and covered by my employer.

Regarding the airline credits, if I could spend them on gift cards, then the annual fee wouldn't be a problem, but it looks like Amex may or may not be cracking down on that. I plan on waiting until the current Starwood bonus offer is about to expire anyway, though, so we'll see if more information on gift cards has come to light by then.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
It's possible the Amazon GC via the MPX app might be done for. I bought a $200 GC via that method the day the 100k Platinum offer became available and still no credit. Which isn't the end of the world to have $200 of Amazon credit. Just means I'll be making my way through $200 of booze on United flights. How will I ever manage.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Barry posted:

It's possible the Amazon GC via the MPX app might be done for. I bought a $200 GC via that method the day the 100k Platinum offer became available and still no credit. Which isn't the end of the world to have $200 of Amazon credit. Just means I'll be making my way through $200 of booze on United flights. How will I ever manage.

All auto-credits through Amex seem to not be posting, not just travel incidentals. I wouldn't call it dead yet.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
It took almost three weeks for my $100 southwest gift card purchase to credit about 3 months ago. Then I did another $100 a few weeks ago (right before people started freaking out) and it credited the next day. So seems pretty random to me (in my limited experience). People seem to be freaking out a bit early.

Although of course if several thousand new amex plat cardholder have been harassing customer support over why their gift card purchases haven't been credited, maybe its gonna be a self-fulfilling issue.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So out of curiosity...

what kinds of cards should we have overall? I was told by a friend the other day that we should have one of each, (Visa/MC/Discover/Amex), because that way we were covered in case we ever were somewhere that didn't accept Visa/MC.

Atm, we have: Chase Freedom, Chase Preferred Sapphire, BECU Visa (from Credit Union), and 2 Sallie Mae MasterCards. Should we actually apply for Amex or Discover and is it worth it?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Disco Salmon posted:

So out of curiosity...

what kinds of cards should we have overall? I was told by a friend the other day that we should have one of each, (Visa/MC.Discover/Amex), because that way we were covered in case we ever were somewhere that didn't accept Visa/MC.

Atm, we have: Chase Freedom, Chase Preferred Sapphire, BECU Visa (from Credit Union), and 2 Sallie Mae MasterCards. Should we actually apply for Amex or Discover and is it worth it?

What are your goals? Domestic airfare? International airfare? Hotels? Cash back?

Brian Fellows
May 29, 2003
I'm Brian Fellows
I haven't posted in here for a long time, and this isn't quite within the scope of the thread, but I was hoping someone here maybe had some experience that could help me.

I went to turn on my PS4 today and it seemed fine and the TV seemed fine, but the TV insisted there was no signal. I tried changing HDMI ports, same thing.

I brought out my monitor and the PS4 works fine. The TV actually works fine too as long as I'm using the components. Apparently my HDMI ports are somehow fried.

I bought the TV a year and a month ago, and the manufacturer's warranty lasted only 1 year. I did however specifically buy the TV with an Amex card due to its extended warranty feature.

Has anyone here made a warranty claim with a credit card company, especially Amex? And does this sound like a situation Amex's warranty would cover? It's been storming a lot here lately so I could see them saying it was damaged through that, but everything is surge protected and all of my other appliances/electronics are just fine.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
No specific credit card advice, though I would probably NOT specify that it was due to a storm, as that may fall under an 'act-of-God' exception on the warranty.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

So out of curiosity...

what kinds of cards should we have overall? I was told by a friend the other day that we should have one of each, (Visa/MC/Discover/Amex), because that way we were covered in case we ever were somewhere that didn't accept Visa/MC.

pig slut lisa posted:

What are your goals? Domestic airfare? International airfare? Hotels? Cash back?

Well tbh, mostly cash back, and some travel. (It's not a lot of travel... maybe the UK every few years and just a weekend here and there in the States). That's why we have the Sapphire/Freedom combo going on. The BECU card is an emergency card if needed since it has the lowest rate and highest limit, but it is for overseas travel as well. Sallie Mae for gas/groc/Amazon.

I don't see a reason to get an Amex or Discover...but if it would be better to expand from what we have then we would do so.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Barry posted:

Can someone explain how the MPX app actually works? I've never seemed to be able to get it to work

Edit: as in other than the brick and mortar stores you can buy Amazon gift cards?

Insane Totoro fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 8, 2015

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Brian Fellows posted:

I haven't posted in here for a long time, and this isn't quite within the scope of the thread, but I was hoping someone here maybe had some experience that could help me.

I went to turn on my PS4 today and it seemed fine and the TV seemed fine, but the TV insisted there was no signal. I tried changing HDMI ports, same thing.

I brought out my monitor and the PS4 works fine. The TV actually works fine too as long as I'm using the components. Apparently my HDMI ports are somehow fried.

I bought the TV a year and a month ago, and the manufacturer's warranty lasted only 1 year. I did however specifically buy the TV with an Amex card due to its extended warranty feature.

Has anyone here made a warranty claim with a credit card company, especially Amex? And does this sound like a situation Amex's warranty would cover? It's been storming a lot here lately so I could see them saying it was damaged through that, but everything is surge protected and all of my other appliances/electronics are just fine.

I did a travel insurance claim through AMEX this year due to a flight delay. They will expect you to provide the exact statement and circle the purchase on the statement (that's what I did to confirm that travel was purchased on the card). Expect to go through a similar process.

Having a TV with broken HDMI ports due to manufacturing defect/lovely quality will probably meet their requirements. You can download the terms and conditions for your card in pdf from the AMEX website. When you make the claim they will most likely send the terms and conditions to you anyway.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

I don't see a reason to get an Amex or Discover...but if it would be better to expand from what we have then we would do so.

There are definitely reasons to get AmEx or Discover cards. Discover is effectively 10% back on Amazon through the end of the year for new accounts. AmEx BCP is 6% back at grocery stores, so if you make your own food, that is pretty tough to beat. Membership Rewards points are really every bit as good as Ultimate Rewards points and have more transfer partners, so they could even wind up being better for you, depending on where you need to go/stay.

The only reason to get a card is if it works for you, or if you are going to milk it for a sign-up bonus. I got an AmEx PRG for the 50k MR points signup bonus, fully expecting to ditch it once the annual fee came due, but it pretty quickly turned into my favorite card and I really can't see giving it up now. American Express has been absolutely stellar with me in the customer service department, which is more than I can say about Chase (solid overall, but not great) and Barclaycard. So for me personally, the card suits my spending habits and AmEx acts like they give a poo poo about keeping me as a customer. If and when I need to take advantage of an extended warranty, I'm way more confident that AmEx will treat me right as opposed to any of the other issuers from whom I have cards.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Insane Totoro posted:

Can someone explain how the MPX app actually works? I've never seemed to be able to get it to work

Edit: as in other than the brick and mortar stores you can buy Amazon gift cards?

What are you having trouble with? Downlaod app, open app, buy thing in app, pay with the credit card you want to use.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Disco Salmon posted:

was told by a friend the other day that we should have one of each, (Visa/MC/Discover/Amex), because that way we were covered in case we ever were somewhere that didn't accept Visa/MC.

Is there ever a store like this? I don't think I've seen it anywhere except Costco, and they are switching to Visa-only.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Up until about a year ago I only had a Visa and I don't think I ever once got turned away, US or Canada. AmEx is the only card that seems to get the occasional decline.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Thufir posted:

Is there ever a store like this? I don't think I've seen it anywhere except Costco, and they are switching to Visa-only.

Barry posted:

Up until about a year ago I only had a Visa and I don't think I ever once got turned away, US or Canada. AmEx is the only card that seems to get the occasional decline.

Yup that's why I was asking....we always figured Visa and MC was more than enough for us. We are not big spenders by any means, so the ones we have suit our needs well for the most part...plus the 2 largest CL VISAs we have are both $0 for the overseas use (Foreign travel fee? I can't recall what it is called but its supposed to be good.)

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Visa and Mastercard are everywhere except places that don't accept credit cards anyway. Even in NZ/Australia a lot of places do take AMEX now just not smaller stores due to their fees. You only need two credit cards.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Brian Fellows posted:

I did recently. Chase didn't give a gently caress, but Visa came through and refunded me the entire amount. It was very clean and easy. Took about 4 weeks from calling in to receiving the check.

My experience with Amex is that they're one gazillion times better in every way than Visa/bank branded cards, so I imagine you'll be in fine shape.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thufir posted:

I have seen Amex-only places online, interestingly enough, usually grey market stuff that Visa/MC won't allow.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Thufir posted:

I had some utilities that would only accept MasterCard.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Saw this on Slickdeals. Confirmed that double points apply if you have it active on your Discover card.

quote:

10% cashback (up to $10,000) on all Discover card in-store Apple Pay purchases for the rest of 2015
From September 16, to the end of the year, cardmembers who pay with their Discover card using Apple Pay will automatically earn an extra 10% Cashback Bonus on up to $10,000 of in-store purchases. Discover it Miles, Miles and Escape cardmembers will earn an extra 10 miles per dollar on up to $10,000 of in-store purchases.

“We are excited for Discover cardmembers to have the ability to use Apple Pay. Rewards have always been important to our cardmembers, and we want to make sure they receive a generous offer for shopping with Discover and Apple Pay,” said Heather Roche, vice president of rewards at Discover. “We want to encourage new and existing Discover cardmembers to add their Discover card to Apple Pay with a few simple clicks using our mobile app, take advantage of this 10% Cashback Bonus, and experience the ease and convenience of using Apple Pay.”

List of stores that accept Apple Pay:
http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use-apple-pay/

I got the Discover IT card back in spring with the new customer, double your points for the first year promotion. Apparently they have extended the double point offer through Sept. 30th for anyone who doesn't have a card. Not sure if you can combine this with the quarterly 5% categories such as department stores and clothing stores for Q4. That would give 30% cash back...

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 10, 2015

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Wow that's wild.

It says in-store, so I guess the Uber app using Apple Pay would not apply?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I currently have Chase's MileagePlus Explorer card, which I've had since March 2013. It also has a nice high credit limit ($24k). I'm not flying United as much as I used to, and I want to switch to the Chase Sapphire Preferred.

Am I better off to apply for the Sapphire Preferred first (getting any signup bonuses that way) and then downgrading the MileagePlus card to something with no annual fee and just leaving it open? Or should I try calling Chase and asking if I can convert the MileagePlus card into Sapphire Preferred (possibly not getting signup bonuses)? If I get a not-as-good credit limit on the Sapphire Preferred, can I ask them to shift my credit limit from the MileagePlus card over to it?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Apply for the Sapphire Preferred to get the signup bonus. Shift credit limit if you'd like to and probably close that United card depending upon how much value you get out of it vs. the annual fee.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Got a new card, activated it and tried to use it and it tripped fraud. Now they won't reactivate unless I give them my case code, which they left as a voice mail on a phone number that isn't mine.

The other option is faxing ss card, license and a bill to them.

Who has fax machines?

edit: the phone number used to be a valid number, and still is, but is not mine

asur
Dec 28, 2012
You should be able to mail them the documents. There are free fax websites, but I wouldn't send personal information over them. You could also try asking for a replacement card. Why did you give them an incorrect phone number?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

asur posted:

You should be able to mail them the documents. There are free fax websites, but I wouldn't send personal information over them. You could also try asking for a replacement card. Why did you give them an incorrect phone number?

I didn't. They got it from "public records". Apparently they think the opening of the account was unauthorized use of my credit.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have never applied for a credit card without one of the required fields being phone number. What kind of weird poo poo are you getting into?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I gave them my cellphone number, but they called my parents home number for the fraud alert, which I never listed on the app. I do not live with my parents. Big PITA.

edit: CitiBank card. I've never had this issue with any of my other cards. I got through to them and the fraud got tried because I tried to make an online purchase with a new card... Because why would you want to use a credit card you just got???????

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I onced booked a cross country sleeper car on Amtrak, and they offered me a whole pile of Amtrak Rewards points if I signed up for and paid with the Amtrak Rewards Visa Card (points I could use to pay for future legs of the trip). A few days later I got a fraud check to make sure I had made a purchase of $2500 in the category of railroads and transportation. Like, of course! That's why I have the card!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Who travels on Amtrak?

loving suspicious if you ask me

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

How long does it typically take to receive your first statement after signing up for a credit card? I signed up for the Citi Double Cash on 8/10. I've not received a statement yet, and my account says the minimum amount due is still $0.00. I've been using it regularly and I've made a couple payment along the way. Is this normal?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
If you log into your account it will tell you when your statement date is.

But generally speaking about a month after you apply, plus about a week or so to account for processing/transit.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Found this in /r/churning http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-reports/1708084-37-rental-cars-2-days-185-000-miles.html

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Quick question about minimum spending for bonuses...

Does it include returns? For instance, if I spend $3000 exactly but return a $100 pair of shoes, did I hit the $3k minimum or did I miss it?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

dexter6 posted:

Quick question about minimum spending for bonuses...

Does it include returns? For instance, if I spend $3000 exactly but return a $100 pair of shoes, did I hit the $3k minimum or did I miss it?

In general the answer is "you missed it".

Howeva: One time I met the minimum on my Amex PRG with a purchase of ~$300 in work clothes. This put me over the minimum and Amex credited the points very shortly after (they are quicker for points than any other issuer, in my experience). A week or so later I returned about $150 worth of clothes and was issued a credit, bringing me below the minimum spend. Amex did not claw the points back. Now it's possible that they would have if I had not reached the minimum again, but I dunno. Nevertheless, I think the best course of action is to hit the minimum spend with your purchases (but NOT FEES) minus return credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
The other short answer is that you have one shot at the points so don't miss out on them by screwing up. Especially with all the paperwork and loving around you have to do to get the card in the first place.