Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hey we're also a huge manufacturer of mining equipment nobody needs, airplanes nobody wants and trains I guess a few people are buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
manufacturing is in a decades long decline and our economic growth has been entirely dependant on resources for like the past 20 years so that argument is stupid

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Jesus Christ you loving idiots

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/gdps04a-eng.htm

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finance and Insurance along with Arts and Entertainment will save us.

Holy poo poo, look at those construction numbers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

ocrumsprug posted:

Finance and Insurance along with Arts and Entertainment will save us.

Holy poo poo, look at those construction numbers.

Fire is doing a yeoman job of propping up the economy. It better not go down. :laugh:

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Canada's largest component of GDP is manufacturing. It's a misconception that Canada is a petro state.

Statscan posted:

Manufacturing 171,563
Real estate and rental and leasing 212,465

:crossarms:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yup. I made a mistake.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Yup. I made a mistake.

Quote before edit

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

I make approximately as much as the rear end in a top hat internist in my building (I looked up his salary) and the motherfucker owns an 800k townhouse, a 2015 land rover and a 2015 bmw 428. His wife is a pharmacist. There is no way this shitheel is in the black on a monthly basis with 180k in cars.

He's slinging dope* or whatever on the sides.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/british-columbia/smoker-rights-battle-heads-to-b-c-supreme-court-1.3216557

A strata is trying to ban an OWNER from smoking in his own condo.

So pride

much equity

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
He bought that condo 10 years ago. I hope they're forced to settle out of court and buy his condo off of him at above current market value.

Then the guy can move to a place that isn't loving insane.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...
This just reinforces the idea that you really don't ever own strata, your strata fee is just rent going to whatever group of busy-bodies has the most time on their hands.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/canada/british-columbia/smoker-rights-battle-heads-to-b-c-supreme-court-1.3216557

A strata is trying to ban an OWNER from smoking in his own condo.

So pride

much equity

lol

He claims to have a physical disability and a mental disability in the form of an addiction to nicotine.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

etalian posted:

lol

He claims to have a physical disability and a mental disability in the form of an addiction to nicotine.

Could be worse. Could be a crippling addiction to World of Warcraft. How do you knock out the 14th floor wall to move a 900lb man?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

condos

Imagine if you paid a premium to enjoy all the miseries of apartment dweller life?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
If you can't afford a detached house you can't afford your filthy nicotine habit. :colbert:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

condos are often worse than apartments since HOAs tend to attract the worst type of busybody nosy person.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

etalian posted:

condos are often worse than apartments since HOAs tend to attract the worst type of busybody nosy person.

If you have a normal council and reasonable owners, it is way better than a bad landlord.

However if you get a couple of bad owners in the strata, it can be much much worse. I have already told the wife that this is the last place I am living with a strata. Now I just need the housing market to move into the realm of possibility.

Having said that if you are a freehold owner you are also at the mercy of the biker gang or hoarder that lives next door, so it isn't exactly a panacea.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
While in general I agree with these sentiments, in this specific case it makes no sense to say that strata is worse. Just try to find a landlord that will allow smoking.

If you're in a condo, how do people know you're smoking, anyway? Is the air handling below standard or what? Positive pressure means that smells shouldn't be entering the hallway, and at least in Alberta, that's mandatory for condos. Honestly, if other people's smells, smoke-related or otherwise, were entering my condo, I'd be upset too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dude needs to pay to upgrade the ventilation system for his unit or building otherwise gently caress off with his toxic smoke if any other resident gets a whiff. Same thing for pets, you can have your pet when you sound proof your unit so your neglected un-walked dog's constant mournful howling doesn't ruin life for everyone else.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Dude needs to pay to upgrade the ventilation system for his unit or building otherwise gently caress off with his toxic smoke if any other resident gets a whiff. Same thing for pets, you can have your pet when you sound proof your unit so your neglected un-walked dog's constant mournful howling doesn't ruin life for everyone else.

I don't know going to court seems like a waste of time since the problem should solve itself in a few years.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Some crazy bitch in this building has a loving BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG in her apartment

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Some crazy bitch in this building has a loving BERNESE MOUNTAIN DOG in her apartment

If you said Newfie I was gonna be like "hey! you live in the same building as one of my dad's friends"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Big dogs aren't bad apartment dogs though? They don't need as much exercise as small/medium dogs and so they aren't prone to destroying apartments and spending all day barking like smaller dogs.

It's the lady who keeps a terrier in her apartment and never lets it out that you get the real problems.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Dreylad posted:

Big dogs aren't bad apartment dogs though? They don't need as much exercise as small/medium dogs and so they aren't prone to destroying apartments and spending all day barking like smaller dogs.

It's the lady who keeps a terrier in her apartment and never lets it out that you get the real problems.

Some jerkwads on my floor just moved in and they have a yappy little piece of crap kick-toy dog, and it's the only dog I've ever had a problem with in the whole building. It always barks constantly when it's in the hallway.

Why do people even buy a dog if they have no interest in training it properly? Couldn't they just volunteer at a shelter or whatever if they just want to see dogs?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

Some jerkwads on my floor just moved in and they have a yappy little piece of crap kick-toy dog, and it's the only dog I've ever had a problem with in the whole building. It always barks constantly when it's in the hallway.

Why do people even buy a dog if they have no interest in training it properly? Couldn't they just volunteer at a shelter or whatever if they just want to see dogs?

I don't even think it's training, if a dog doesn't get enough exercise no amount of training is going to stop it from going nuts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Is she on your Purge day list?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Yes. I will then take the Bernese and train it for my war hound

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Pride of ownership.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I used to live right above a smoker and it was pretty awful, she would smoke on her balcony or inside her unit with the windows open and it would drift up through my balcony door, which I left open during most of the summer/a lot of the spring and fall. People that smoke in their units basically produce gigantic externalities for the rest of the building and should be fined repeatedly and immediately.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Maybe people would be less prone to smoke in their own houses (or on their own balconies) if there were other options available for smoking. Smokers basically have no options to smoke in a place that isn't their home anymore, even outside.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

blah_blah posted:

I used to live right above a smoker and it was pretty awful, she would smoke on her balcony or inside her unit with the windows open and it would drift up through my balcony door, which I left open during most of the summer/a lot of the spring and fall. People that smoke in their units basically produce gigantic externalities for the rest of the building and should be fined repeatedly and immediately.

Oh God, this. My new-ish down stairs neighbors got so many complaints that the guy has to leave the building to smoke and it is awesome. I can leave my balcony door open again!

PT6A posted:

Maybe people would be less prone to [shoot] in their own houses (or on their own balconies) if there were other options available for [shoot]ing. [Shooters] basically have no options to [shoot] in a place that isn't their home anymore, even outside.

No sympathy for smokers, sorry.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Maybe people would be less prone to smoke in their own houses (or on their own balconies) if there were other options available for smoking. Smokers basically have no options to smoke in a place that isn't their home anymore, even outside.
The problem is that smoking is inherently selfish as the smoke just dissipates everywhere. If someone wants to smoke anywhere then they should be able to do so so long as the smoke is contained and is not exposed to anyone else. If this makes it effectively impossible to smoke anywhere then so be it.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

PT6A posted:

I mean, if you live in a detached home and aren't blowing the smoke directly into someone's backyard, then go for it (and even if you are it's unlikely that anyone can really do anything about it). But it doesn't work in an apartment/condo setting, and this is one of the few places where stratas can actually be useful.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

No sympathy for smokers, sorry.

This attitude makes me want to take up smoking again just to spite self-righteous anti-smokers.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sidakafitz posted:

This attitude makes me want to take up smoking again just to spite self-righteous anti-smokers.

This is a great plan that I'm sure will end well for you

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Sidakafitz posted:

This attitude makes me want to fart in your mouth.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Tighclops posted:

This is a great plan that I'm sure will end well for you

I would still be smoking if it wasn't so expensive, and if it didn't make me feel like poo poo all the time and get sick a lot, and if it didn't make me a slave to a small paper tube filled with plant matter.

Of course it isn't a good idea, but it's tempting as I'm a sucker for sticking it to sanctimonious assholes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Reverse Centaur posted:

This attitude makes me want to fart in your mouth.

Still probably taste and smell better than a cigarette. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Sidakafitz posted:

I would still be smoking if it wasn't so expensive, and if it didn't make me feel like poo poo all the time and get sick a lot, and if it didn't make me a slave to a small paper tube filled with plant matter.

Yes, we should make it easier for people to do this activity, and allow them to not only make themselves feel like poo poo, but others.