Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

I really doubt he didn't understand, probably more that he just didn't care until a lot more people got on his case about it.

Screaming rape/whatever is unfortunately fairly acceptable in many social circles, especially among young people who play video games. I doubt those people realize how offensive it is.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

watho posted:

That's really insightful of you. I hope that, at some point, I can reach the same level of enlightenment as you have. I never would have guessed that nobody would've cared about a famous person's behavior if they weren't famous. I was certain that goons kept a running tally on everyone who ever made a rape-joke and the revelation that this wasn't true has blown my mind, but I'm glad of it because it means that I'm slightly closer to the euphoric intellect that is you. :jerkbag:

I'm not sure that you can project much harder than this. You are the gold standard.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm just saying there's people far more worthy of getting $4 million a year, like RichardGamingo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Goons are all over the basement rapist reviews of Star Wars movies, too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Don't tell me that we're going to need to start posting the Ishtar trailer in this thread as well.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Dish posted:

But you guys also hate Markpelier, who hasn't made any rape jokes either.

I do not view PieDiePie as a character, because I have never seen anything that separates PewDiePie from Felix. To me, they are one in the same, and that person is an annoying howler monkey that makes bad videos and somehow found success with them. I am also jealous of his success.

With Markiplier, I know there is a separation between the person and the character, but I don't know if that makes things better or worse. I have seen this intelligent, charming guy who is enjoyable to watch and listen to, and I know he has actively, deliberately set out to copy the PewDiePie formula and create a character for the sole purpose of finding success. I dislike the character and I dislike the practice, but there might be a decent person in there. I am also jealous of his success.

I wouldn't say I hate either of them, only that I dislike what they are putting out there, and that my dislike is regardless of any envy I have towards their success. You show me a thing, I say "I do not like thing." Thing happens to have millions or billions of views, then I say "I am jealous that thing is so successful. I don't think thing should be so successful because I do not like thing."

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 7, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Like, I'm not a fan of what he releases, but I also don't enjoy The Annoying Orange TV Show (airing now on Cartoon Network weeknights at 5pm; 6 central), and I don't go on tirades about how the creator of that is awful. He found a target demographic of teenage kids who laugh at stupid poo poo on the internet and seems to be providing them with entertainment.

The Annoying Orange was cancelled like two or three years ago, so I guess it actually didn't find that audience.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Plinkett is just a misunderstood old man.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Did Rich Evans do some scummy poo poo I missed :ohdear:

Or did other Plinkett guy do something or what.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

As I understand, there's at least one joke about Mr. Plinkett raping his cat which... ahem... polarizes the Internet Reviewer Discussion thread over in RGD.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Yardbomb posted:

You know how they splice the actual review content with "Plinkett is a serial killer who rapes and murders women" gags? It's probably that.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

There was at least very insightful criticism between those really bad rape joke scenes, so you could lose those no problem and still have a very good review. Whereas if you had stripped away all the rape jokes from PDP, as you have now, you still get the screaming and the terrible jokes and the montages and the billions of views. He removed one bad aspect of his "character", but there's still many more that he could get rid of.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

watho posted:

As I understand, there's at least one joke about Mr. Plinkett raping his cat which... ahem... polarizes the Internet Reviewer Discussion thread over in RGD.

If I remember correctly it was, as part of the joke/review bit, a chick dressed up like the Avatar aliens. There might have been the bit where Mr. Plinkett holds the call girl hostage, but in the third prequel movie she gets revenge on him since it was part of a story arc that spanned across the different reviews.

It was a small one line joke/reference and people flipped their poo poo. Sort of like when Obama said the n-word when making a point on Marc Maron's podcast, and people spent weeks focusing on just the fact he used the word and not the context.

With Pewdiepie, he changed his jokes/angles and people giving him poo poo over it still are sort of dumb. Him doing it in the first place was a problem sure, but he made the adjustment to better himself/his business. You can't really fault someone for that.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 7, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm sure there are people who feel that rape humor is never OK, and you are entitled to that. I will not take that away from you.

I would think the issue here, regarding PewDiePie, was partly that his videos have a young demographic, and partly that he was making these jokes so often that they could be compiled into their own montage video and he can now be known as "the guy that made all the rape jokes."

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Jamesman posted:

I'm sure there are people who feel that rape humor is never OK, and you are entitled to that. I will not take that away from you.

I would think the issue here, regarding PewDiePie, was partly that his videos have a young demographic, and partly that he was making these jokes so often that they could be compiled into their own montage video and he can now be known as "the guy that made all the rape jokes."

That's my view on it. The rape jokes were so common that it became a big part of the "character". He even uploaded a god drat song called "It's raping time". Yeah, he apologized, stopped with the jokes, and took that video down which is great but that doesn't make his past actions okay. I really, really don't hate the guy, (I find him a lot more pleasant that TotalBuscuit) but I can't say that I like him either... he's just someone who exists.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mega64 posted:

You know how they splice the actual review content with "Plinkett is a serial killer who rapes and murders women" gags? It's probably that.

Shhhhh, we have to suddenly pretend we can't pick up on subtext when it's someone the forum likes.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mega64 posted:

Well poo poo, I never actually watched the Star Wars stuff, just pick and choose Half in the Bag and Pre-Rec.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Yardbomb posted:

Well poo poo, I never actually watched the Star Wars stuff, just pick and choose Half in the Bag and Pre-Rec.

The people who make and review slasher movies make slasher movie jokes? Oh MY GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!

Sorry, please continue your "most willfully dense sanctimonious poster" competition.

E: Did you know one of their recurring characters is literally named Rapebot, and that one of their projects was a sitcom about an abusive husband?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

watho posted:

Don't tell me that we're going to need to start posting the Ishtar trailer in this thread as well.

They were just a couple of Let's Players who came to YouTube to break into show business...

Yardbomb posted:

I don't hate him, I just wish he would use his nice voice better instead of crazy hammed up reactions.
I have to second this. He narrated an episode or two of Did You Know Gaming, and he does a good job delivering more calm, collected commentary.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Earnestly posted:

Of course none of you would dislike pdp for his rape jokes if he were not Internet famous. His actual content is irrelevant. The flaw goons harp on is just convienent to cover up the distaste of someone getting rich and famous off your hobby.

lol you just accused people of thinking rape jokes are ok, I'm actually impressed that someone is able to make themselves look like such an unbelievable jackass with only one sentence.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 8, 2015

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Like, I'm not a fan of what he releases, but I also don't enjoy The Annoying Orange TV Show (airing now on Cartoon Network weeknights at 5pm; 6 central), and I don't go on tirades about how the creator of that is awful. He found a target demographic of teenage kids who laugh at stupid poo poo on the internet and seems to be providing them with entertainment.

I am happy that PewDiePie has made money and fame doing what he loves. I am happy that PewDiePie has finally made video games art.

Andrast posted:

Screaming rape/whatever is unfortunately fairly acceptable in many social circles, especially among young people who play video games. I doubt those people realize how offensive it is.

Yes, and this is the problem. I don't have a problem with some jackass friend of mine making rape jokes (other than the fact that they're just lovely on every level) on Skype because I can just roll my eyes. Like, yeah this guy probably has mates with whom he shares this humour and so what.

But it is an issue when, instead of it being some dickhead, it's some (internet) famous dickhead. He's not just telling stupid pandering jokes, he's reinforcing in the minds of impressionable kids that rape is funny. That the correct response to rape is to laugh and - most importantly - to laugh at the victim. PDP is never the victim in these jokes. When he says he's gonna rape someone, you're supposed to laugh at who- or whatever he's going to rape.

Like, no, just because his audience is primarily made up of children, that doesn't mean he has to be a good role-model. He doesn't have to be a boy-scout or whatever. But I am entitled to hate him on the the grounds that he is/was(?) actively a negative role-model, teaching kids that rape is a-okay.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I don't know if anyone watches his videos but he hasn't gotten that much better about tasteless jokes like that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cheez posted:

I don't know if anyone watches his videos but he hasn't gotten that much better about tasteless jokes like that.

I like that everybody itt hates PDP and Markiplier and other assholes, but they also have an enyclopedic knowledge of their collected works.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Earnestly posted:

Of course none of you would dislike pdp for his rape jokes if he were not Internet famous. His actual content is irrelevant. The flaw goons harp on is just convienent to cover up the distaste of someone getting rich and famous off your hobby.

No, because if he were not internet famous, NONE OF US WOULD HAVE EVER HEARD OF HIM.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Does anyone actually hate Markiplier? I hear hyperbole about how much others hate him, but the worst I've ever heard about him was that his videos suck, but he's a great guy otherwise

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Danaru posted:

Does anyone actually hate Markiplier? I hear hyperbole about how much others hate him, but the worst I've ever heard about him was that his videos suck, but he's a great guy otherwise

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the overall opinion of Markplier here is "his videos suck, but he's a cool dude clearly pandering to the audience that gets him paid, so it's understandable. Videos still suck tho."

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
I think the only issue with Pewdiepie's "tasteless jokes" or whatever is he sort of did this shtick to appeal to kids, and then he threw in "suck my black pussy" every so often. I've heard he's different now. The whole "G-Rated/X-Rated" thing bugged me, but I beat that drum for awhile, so whatever.

He's gonna be around for a long time, so it's not worth stressing out over.

Honestly, Tobuscus actually is kind of lovely guy so it's better to hate on him and feel good about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dias posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the overall opinion of Markplier here is "his videos suck, but he's a cool dude clearly pandering to the audience that gets him paid, so it's understandable. Videos still suck tho."

His videos are the only thing that matters. He may be the most gracious man ever, but it means poo poo because I will never meet him, and neither will 99.9% of his fans. Deflecting any criticism of him to his being a somewhat decent person just reveals how incredibly low the standard for being an "LP celebrity" is even after years of growing popularity.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, Tobuscus actually is kind of lovely guy so it's better to hate on him and feel good about it.

Do you think uploading a video of yourself crying about an actor's recent death and monetizing it isn't a smart business strategy?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
I've heard that pewdiepie went back to the rape jokes after the drama died down, and I have no idea if that's true or not but it's basically what my opinion of him teeters on. If he did stop then whatever, people can learn and I'm fine with that, if he didn't then fuuuuuuuck him

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

CJacobs posted:

lol you just accused people of thinking rape jokes are ok, I'm actually impressed that someone is able to make themselves look like such an unbelievable jackass with only one sentence.

You seem confused. I explicitly stated the flaw with pdp, the rape jokes, are a secondary priority to this thread. I did not say they were okay, nor did I accuse anyone else of saying that. I said they are irrelevant.

I also made myself look like an unbelievable jackass with three sentences. You are the one who beat my high score with only one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What you said was, "if pewdiepie was not famous, you would be ok with him making rape jokes" and surprisingly enough that's not true at all- but if nobody knew about him, nobody would know he jokes about terrible things, therefore there would be no upset about it

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
You're surprisingly right. It is not true at all that I said that.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Saith posted:

PDP is never the victim in these jokes. When he says he's gonna rape someone, you're supposed to laugh at who- or whatever he's going to rape.

Nah he made plenty of "This monster is raping me!" jokes.

steinrokkan posted:

His videos are the only thing that matters. He may be the most gracious man ever, but it means poo poo because I will never meet him, and neither will 99.9% of his fans. Deflecting any criticism of him to his being a somewhat decent person just reveals how incredibly low the standard for being an "LP celebrity" is even after years of growing popularity.

But even in his videos he's a responsible version of PDP. He screams and swears because it appeals to kids, but he knows how to draw a line between entertaining juvenile minds and training them to be shitheads.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

F. Lobot posted:

But even in his videos he's a responsible version of PDP. He screams and swears because it appeals to kids, but he knows how to draw a line between entertaining juvenile minds and training them to be shitheads.

Teaching kids that fake scarecams are funny is not what I would call responsible.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

steinrokkan posted:

I like that everybody itt hates PDP and Markiplier and other assholes, but they also have an enyclopedic knowledge of their collected works.

Encyclopedic apparently meaning "I watched one recent video of his and it had more terrible poo poo I wouldn't want young people to see and emulate"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cheez posted:

Encyclopedic apparently meaning "I watched one recent video of his and it had more terrible poo poo I wouldn't want young people to see and emulate"

Well when they follow so strictly to a formula watching 1 video is pretty much having an encyclopedic knowledge of everything they've done.

watho posted:

I can't believe these men may control the fate of youtube LPs

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Any "Game Theory" type video is worse than Pewdiepie, because while people tend to grow out of him those stupid video game theories are just stupid.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
the game theorists is possibly the worst show in the history of media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bobjr posted:

Any "Game Theory" type video is worse than Pewdiepie, because while people tend to grow out of him those stupid video game theories are just stupid.

Game theories are cool when they are about games that leave themselves open to them. However, most of the time they're about how X was dead all along and it was all just a dream.

• Locked thread