Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

e: whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Joke's on us, for reading a Grouchio post.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Everything Burrito posted:

Joke's on us, for reading a Grouchio post.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

It's kind of impressive that her teeth aren't rotted through.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Her breath probably smells terrible, all of the time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This show is actually an after-school special about the dangers of bulimia.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Bad Seafood posted:

PROTIP: When discussing spoilers from an original work in a thread dedicated to an adaptation of that work, consider specifying that you are talking about the original work in your post and not the most recent episode or whatever. Thanks!

This has been a public service announcement.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Welcome to groucho posts

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

darkgray posted:

Why would you read spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled, silly? :downs:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nash freaked out because Adlet hosed up her plan whatever it was and now she's pissed. That or she has some sort of second personality that activated. It was kind of hinted at before when she went nuts on their trip.

Maura is just a dumbass on a power trip. I CANT BE WRONG IM SUPPOSE TO BE THE LEADER THE FOUNDATION *DOUBLES DOWN*

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Anime multiple personalities is almost as awful as anime amnesia.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Pavlov posted:

and it fits in with this show

a dumb thing with this show is everyone believes each other but adlet/anything to do with adlet.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

darkgray posted:

Why would you read spoilers if you don't want to be spoiled, silly? :downs:
That's why I basically never use tags myself, I know I can't resist the temptation. By the way, just out of curiosity, how many people read my fake spoiling of the seventh's identity in my big giant post from when I came back from vacation?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Folks I would like to apologize for improperly posting real spoilers as if they were episode-related. I will be sure to put up :siren: SPOILERS :siren: in the future.
If you have any other questions regarding my sanity, please talk to be or Seafood (he's my bro).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is the non spoilered text on this page safe to read? I can't tell if that's speculation further up or not.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
All communication may propagate thought-crimes. Best to avoid it altogether.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I like Nash's version of alter-ego-insantiy though.

Kild posted:

Maura is just a dumbass on a power trip. I CANT BE WRONG IM SUPPOSE TO BE THE LEADER THE FOUNDATION *DOUBLES DOWN*

It makes her the worst character and really pisses me off. It's a really dumb and contrived way of creating a red herring. They're just smacking you in the face with it so much that you can't see anything beyond your blurry vision.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Have you never met someone who reacted to evidence against their opinion by doubling down on that opinion? That is Maura. She is that person.

The reason I don't like multiple personalities in media is that it's almost never how people really work. There's still debate over what extent it even really exists, and if it does, it's really rare. It also tends to mean that instead of getting one complex character, you just get two shallow characters in the same body, and ignores that people can be conflicted and contradictory even within their normal selves.

If Nash is just having a stress induced emotional break, that's fine. People do that poo poo all the time. It adds to the character she already has. Giving her an extra ~secret crazy personality~ is just dumb.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I doubt that Nash has a second personality, because it makes it an unfair answer to the mystery. If they have spent an entire season building up to answer, then revealing that the villain was a character none of the viewers had any knowledge of just makes the season of speculation and trying to guess whether somebody is either untrustworthy or bullheaded pointless.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Nash has been kinda weird/creepy and super manipulative the whole time, I don't think this is a split personality sort of deal so much as she's just losing her composure. Remember back in episode 2 when she tried to murder Adlet, and then played it off as "oh, silly me, I'm so wacky :3:"?

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 3 years!)

I just started on this a few days ago, and I'm kinda disappointed with the fact that it turned out to be one of those "group who can't trust each other must solve a contrived situation or DIE" gameshow gimmicks instead of just being a straightforward adventure in a unique setting. I should've known when it looked like they were going to meet the rest of the 6 and enter DemonLand by the 4th episode that it was too well-paced to be true :(

It was also annoying how so much of the mystery and its reveals hinged on whatever rules the writer made up for the setting's magic. One of the suspects says no one could have possibly re-locked the door... I'll take their word for it I guess? Only one magic barrier can exist for any given area? Sure ok whatever. It makes it seem pointless to try and follow along with the facts of the mystery.

I'm still enjoying it but it's not what I had hoped it was going to be.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I don't see why they don't just cut the whole forest down and burn it to the ground then they will know if someone is hiding. Also I want Flamie to regrow her horn that would be bad rear end.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Same, doubt I would have watched this bullshit if the OP had actually bothered with details

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm the reverse, I started watching this show once I heard about the mystery. Stories about a group of adventurers going off to fight the big bad evil guy are a dime a dozen, but the mystery really brings something unique to the genre.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

^^^ yeah hey look at that

I'm enjoying this show precisely because it's not generic action fantasy show #2342341. It was a really good surprise for me that this show turned out to be something I didn't expect.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Same as Srice, I started watching it specifically because I heard of the whole mystery thing and thought it sounded cool. There's other stuff to watch if you want a regular fantasy adventure.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Mostly I just wish they had kept it up with mesoamerican themed stuff. Them bumming around in the woods for the last few episodes is kind of drab. Also they're trying to have it be a fighting anime and a mystery anime, which gives it wonky pacing for either of those.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am also enjoying the mystery aspect.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Guys. Guys. I've just read the LN, and you'll never believe who the Seventh is! It's Mr. Green. In the Hall. With the revolver.

The real mystery is why this isn’t selling. It has fighting, it has tits, it has Goldar; what's not to like?

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

I have a different story, So I started watching it being interested in the meso-american designs and figured it would be a good, solid but ultimately forgettable shonen timewaster, then I saw Adlet and his non-orthodox fighting and that was like "alright gonna keep watching" and then then the mystery set in and I was like "wait what, how is this gonna go" and then it got more complex and interesting, and now I'm on the hook to watch a second season if they make one, and I even read the LNs to see where it could go from there.

I guess it helps that if I start watching something I usually ride the whole thing out, good or bad.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ninety posted:

It was also annoying how so much of the mystery and its reveals hinged on whatever rules the writer made up for the setting's magic. One of the suspects says no one could have possibly re-locked the door... I'll take their word for it I guess? Only one magic barrier can exist for any given area? Sure ok whatever. It makes it seem pointless to try and follow along with the facts of the mystery.

Getting info from 6 suspects is kinda wishy-washy, but I'm pretty sure by nature of it being a solvable mystery they can't have people lie about the magic stuff. Specifically with the door thing, Hans gets basically cleared of suspicion so it'd be an acceptable fact after that point anyway.

Fallorn posted:

Also I want Flamie to regrow her horn that would be bad rear end.

Heck yeah

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fallorn posted:

Also I want Flamie to regrow her horn that would be bad rear end.

I'm sure Adlet can help her with that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm sure Adlet can help her with that.

The strongest man in the bed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like that Flammies eye and the bit where her horn was looks kind of gross and disturbing instead of getting prettied up like they usually would.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I like that Flammies eye and the bit where her horn was looks kind of gross and disturbing instead of getting prettied up like they usually would.

The funny/neat thing is that they even had an excuse for her eye looking OK-ish - it's not injured, it's just that she's part-Fiend and has some of the relevant physical characteristics. But nope, creepy-looking disfigurement.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They really commit to creepy monsters and that's really cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I think the fedora guy and Chamot's Fiends were kind of a misstep, but otherwise the Fiends/Flamie's pulsing eye mass are good creepy. If they kept the generic Fiends being able to talk and the slug/leech Fiends from the LN, that would've been even better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
When Adlet looks into Flamie's eyes, his expression is one of deep affection and also a little bit of being creeped out by her red pulsating demon eye.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

The Colonel posted:

When Adlet looks into Flamie's eyes, his expression is one of deep affection and also a little bit of being creeped out by her red pulsating demon eye.

"That's my fetish!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

alcharagia posted:

"That's my fetish!"

At first, Adlet wondered why he cared about this girl.

But once he looked deep into her eyes and her forehead, it all made sense.

• Locked thread