Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hard to feel bad for this person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

This is something new in the evangelical world. Where an older generation simply did not tolerate homosexuality, younger pastors understand Jesus’ message as inclusive. Citing, for example, John 4, where Jesus pointedly ministers to a woman who lives in adultery and is a member of a pariah group, these younger pastors will not close their doors or hearts to gay people seeking God’s love.

But what can they say to them, if not “Get out”? One young pastor related being approached by a gay congregant who wanted to form a committed relationship with the man he loved. What, I asked, did you say? “I wished I could tell him: Go and be happy.” Instead, constrained by the Bible, he had to say he could not approve. From the pastor’s agonized tone, it was clear his head and heart were at odds.

They could read Matthew 19, sell what I'm sure many of them consider to be their greatest possession, donate the proceeds to charity and follow the example of Jesus?

Or they could let their great possessions make them go away sorrowful from that inclusive message.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So how long until we hear her say "I was enforcing God's law not man's law."

There's a bit of historical irony, I think, in that this phrase was once used to defend abolitionist resistance to fugitive slave laws. Rather less noble use it's been put to, of late.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

honestly I'm trying to be as sympathetic as possible to some of these people from the perspective of it going against one's beliefs.

I'm trying to see it under the same light as someone having dietary restrictions or not being able to drink alcohol. But in those situations I rarely see, say a Jewish person bitching out Arby's for serving something with bacon, they just seem to order something else or go to a different restaurant.

I'm also a (lost) christian .I struggle to see how baking a cake or signing a marriage certificate would go against my personal beliefs. It's just a cake. It's just a piece of paper. Both are really meaningless. If your faith is that weak that doing such actions shoots you to hell? You're a really screwed up person.

I just don't see it. They just come across as petty assholes in the same vain of some racist dude who refused to serve black people at his restaurant back in the 50's would be.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 6, 2015

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

If your faith is that weak that doing such actions shoots you to hell?
Or your god that crazy

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
thread has a good op. hope the rest of the thread stays on track. maybe we can bring back throwing christians to lions!? (if that ever actually happened lol)

Shbobdb posted:

We already have this thread and, problems aside, PJ does it better.
I'm assuming this thread, which is closed, and very good. Also I don't know how I can see it, it's nearly a year old and I don't have archives.

Anyway a link to it in the OP would be good I think.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Tiberius Thyben posted:

it felt more like he was saying "You must actually be Christian because you're not a bag of dicks" rather than "You are the sort of person people should aim to be, even though you don't believe my religion."
Someone told me once that I wasn't an atheist because i swore and said OH MY GOD! thereby admitting the existence of god! :viggo:

he owns a business and grosses more in a year then I see in ten. recall that these people believe that all rich people are good, and all good people are rich. :ortiz:

Kim Davis' Attorney Compares Her To Jews Living In Nazi Germany, Invokes Images Of Gas Chambers "This is the new persecution of Christians here in this country." from Huffpo article if you really want ot read it

and one more thing

these things are always targeted at men, as the thought of women masturbating or enjoying sex is literally unthinkable to them.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

froward posted:

these things are always targeted at men, as the thought of women masturbating or enjoying sex is literally unthinkable to them.

It's like that scene in the movie Pleasantville where the older woman discovers things in the bath and the tree catches fire.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

froward posted:

and one more thing

I have been wrong before (many times) but I'm pretty sure the site that image comes from is a pretty well done spoof.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DesperateDan posted:

I have been wrong before (many times) but I'm pretty sure the site that image comes from is a pretty well done spoof.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

That was from a satire piece. Real Christians just promise their children eternal damnation or beatings.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

FuzzySkinner posted:

honestly I'm trying to be as sympathetic as possible to some of these people from the perspective of it going against one's beliefs.

I'm trying to see it under the same light as someone having dietary restrictions or not being able to drink alcohol. But in those situations I rarely see, say a Jewish person bitching out Arby's for serving something with bacon, they just seem to order something else or go to a different restaurant.

I'm also a (lost) christian .I struggle to see how baking a cake or signing a marriage certificate would go against my personal beliefs. It's just a cake. It's just a piece of paper. Both are really meaningless. If your faith is that weak that doing such actions shoots you to hell? You're a really screwed up person.

I just don't see it. They just come across as petty assholes in the same vain of some racist dude who refused to serve black people at his restaurant back in the 50's would be.

Jews are an actual minority, and have a history of being targeted for open persecution, unlike Evangelical Christians though.

I feel like Jews have been the underdog at enough times in enough places in history to know that rocking the loving boat for very small things has a diminishing return on investment.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Real Christians feel them up, then go build a house for a neighbor.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Real Christians feel them up, then go build a house for a neighbor.

Jim Bob

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Here is the backdrop to the press confrence her laywer just finished up

So Osama Bin Ladin is still alive! And he's converted to Christianity!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

More photos from Yesterday on Twitter

Also, the rally ended with a bagpipe rendition of God Bless America

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

More photos from Yesterday on Twitter

Also, the rally ended with a bagpipe rendition of God Bless America

I comforted that its mostly old people/spergs/ and a few clearly mentally handicapped people.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The black woman and white man side by side while wearing a "Intolerance is beautiful" shirt is like a loving masterpiece of irony.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

The black woman and white man side by side while wearing a "Intolerance is beautiful" shirt is like a loving masterpiece of irony.

Uh... I don't think that's a black woman? Her hat is just casting a shadow over her, looks like.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here we go!

Kim Davis supporters gathering outside Carter County Detention Center for "Million Christian March"

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Are you a local or sumpin? Because those photos look like a guy hanging around and not a news reporter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So let me guess; the "million" Christian march turned out to be like 20 people? Reminds me of all those times Glenn Beck was like "there were TOTALLY like 400,000 people at this rally!!!!" when there was like less than 1/10 of that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So let me guess; the "million" Christian march turned out to be like 20 people? Reminds me of all those times Glenn Beck was like "there were TOTALLY like 400,000 people at this rally!!!!" when there was like less than 1/10 of that.

....but all lives matter! :ohdear:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Warcabbit posted:

Are you a local or sumpin? Because those photos look like a guy hanging around and not a news reporter.

Getting them from here
https://twitter.com/WSAZKaitlynn

Reporter at WSAZ NewsChannel 3

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

They just say things like that so they can turn around later and say a million or so people showed up, don't they?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Noam Chomsky posted:

They just say things like that so they can turn around later and say a million or so people showed up, don't they?

Yyyyyup. It's all part of the smoke and mirrors. The right likes to play itself up like it's a massive groundswell grassroots effort of like 80% of Americans when really it's just a few incredibly angry, old white people mad that the world is changing in ways they don't understand.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

quote:

"Mark my word, if and when these preachers get control of the [Republican] party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible drat problem. Frankly, these people frighten me. Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can’t and won’t compromise. I know, I’ve tried to deal with them.

The religious factions that are growing throughout our land are NOT using their religious clout with WISDOM. I’m frankly sick and tired of the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in ‘A,’ ‘B,’ ‘C,’ and ‘D.’ Just who do they think they are?… I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of “conservatism.”

I just found this and a couple of other quotes from the father of modern conservatism.....BARRY GOLDWATER.

I'm a tad bit stunned in some ways, but I think this kind of explains why I've drifted away from voting for the GOP. I'm being sincere, but I swear there was a time it was known as the "Suit and tie"/Young Professional party. Now? It's uh...nuts.

To dust off and paraphrase the quote from Reagan. "I didn't leave the republican party. The republican party left me".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

I just found this and a couple of other quotes from the father of modern conservatism.....BARRY GOLDWATER.

I'm a tad bit stunned in some ways, but I think this kind of explains why I've drifted away from voting for the GOP. I'm being sincere, but I swear there was a time it was known as the "Suit and tie"/Young Professional party. Now? It's uh...nuts.

To dust off and paraphrase the quote from Reagan. "I didn't leave the republican party. The republican party left me".

What we're seeing right now is ultimately a lot of conservative thought processes finally hitting their only possible conclusion and coagulating into a whole poo poo bag of terrible. Every monkey paw wish is taking its price. In the case of evangelicals they turned abortion into a way to get single-issue voters to pull the lever for R for every election at all costs. After years and years of "never surrender, never give up" an assload of people started to not only actually believe that but it bled into other issues as well. Then you get the fact that a lot of Christian churches/sects in the U.S. basically operate like terrifying cults and you have a bunch of rabid fanatics that accuse you of hating America if you disagree with them.

The right makes this even worse by declaring that "America" is a code word for "white rural Christian people." They believe they are America and are being besieged on every side by the devil.

The issue is that, when it comes to gay rights and abortion and whatnot, those fights are unwinnable for the right. This is especially true in gay rights and women's rights. The world is headed that way whether they like it or not but all they see is Great Enemies fighting the real America.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 8, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The issue is that, when it comes to gay rights and abortion and whatnot, those fights are unwinnable for the right. This is especially true in gay rights and women's rights. The world is headed that way whether they like it or not but all they see is Great Enemies fighting the real America.

I keep thinking that image I had of a republican from a while back was someone that was successful, rich and just flat out looked the part. I never associated it with rural racist white Americans. I always associated it with the Gordon Gekko's, Stan Smith's and Alex P. Keaton's of the world.

People that did things that harmed lower class Americans, but were not inherently done out of any sort of prejudice towards others. They didn't give a poo poo whether someone was white, black or gay...they just wanted to be greedy and make money.

I don't know if the image or the "voter" I presented truly exists for the GOP any more outside of a few stagger ons. It's very much like you describe. They went from that to a bunch of hillbillies wearing beards that say things about how "Black people were happier during segregation".

The evangelical movement has successfully destroyed that image. The Bush administrations has probably been the worst thing to happen to the GOP for quite some time, and they're still paying for the sins of everything that culminated as a result of those 8 years.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm pretty sure that's a result of the Southern Strategy and the later Evangelical movements entry into politics in the late 70s and early 80s. The establishment Republicans knew that they needed to expand their voter base to they reached out to racist southern whites (which also worked for racist northerners too) in the 60s, then by bringing in Evangelicals, they added a whole bunch of people who previously had no real interest in politics. Thats how you can have a big tent with your Wall Street and Silcon Valley rich guys, and redneck racists and God hates fags Christians.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

FuzzySkinner posted:

I keep thinking that image I had of a republican from a while back was someone that was successful, rich and just flat out looked the part. I never associated it with rural racist white Americans. I always associated it with the Gordon Gekko's, Stan Smith's and Alex P. Keaton's of the world.

People that did things that harmed lower class Americans, but were not inherently done out of any sort of prejudice towards others. They didn't give a poo poo whether someone was white, black or gay...they just wanted to be greedy and make money.

I don't know if the image or the "voter" I presented truly exists for the GOP any more outside of a few stagger ons. It's very much like you describe. They went from that to a bunch of hillbillies wearing beards that say things about how "Black people were happier during segregation".

The evangelical movement has successfully destroyed that image. The Bush administrations has probably been the worst thing to happen to the GOP for quite some time, and they're still paying for the sins of everything that culminated as a result of those 8 years.

White, rural America is extremely conservative. This is part of why even though you're right about one image the other image of the GOP is salt-of-the-Earth working class, rural folks. They like to play up the "we're helping farmers!!!!" card while giving working class folks the shaft. It's a weird dichotomy in a way but a lot of it also comes from the "temporarily embarrassed millionaires" line. They like to play themselves up as the party of hard work, sacrifice, and getting ahead by gumption and sweat. Which is why they like both farmers and businessmen. The message is "work hard and you, too, will be rich one day."

Which is part of why a lot of non-rich people will still vote R and oppose taxes so hard. They believe that they will one day be super rich themselves and don't want to pay taxes when they are. And yes, that does tie in with the prosperity gospel which is why business and the religious right is a terrifying alliance. These people genuinely believe that the way to make America rich and prosperous again is to enact far right wing thought, implement brutal fundamentalism, and exterminate the gays. It's why they care so much about other people defying God's law; they seriously believe that God is punishing all of America for its sins, which of course includes tolerating the gays.

They believe that they'll become rich either here or in Heaven if they enact and follow God's law. Which very frequently is exactly in line with some super rich people that don't like paying taxes or wages.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 9, 2015

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, they like to pretend that being rich is a reward for hard work and good, christian values when in reality its 99% born into it, 1% luck.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, they like to pretend that being rich is a reward for hard work and good, christian values when in reality its 99% born into it, 1% luck.

So what you're saying is that it's 100% luck, really.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So what you're saying is that it's 100% luck, really.

Or as one of the passages a few more American Christians could bear to read puts it...

Ecclesiastes 9:11 posted:

I again saw under the sun that the race is not to the swift and the battle is not to the warriors, and neither is bread to the wise nor wealth to the discerning nor favor to men of ability; for time and chance overtake them all.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 9, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If we're going to live by Ecclesiastes, we should have wrapped the whole thing up a long time ago.

Ecclesiastes 4:1-3 posted:

Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:
I saw the tears of the oppressed— and they have no comforter; power was on the side of their oppressors— and they have no comforter. And I declared that the dead, who had already died, are happier than the living, who are still alive.
But better than both is the one who has never been born, who has not seen the evil that is done under the sun.

Not that this would necessarily be a bad thing, it would save a lot of trouble.

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth
Ecclesiastes (ending: LIfe Sucks May As Well Do What You Like) and Job (moral: ~*ironic handwaving*~ lol gently caress god & his mysterious ways) are my two favorite books of the bible.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty as an American to do it. Why should the race always be to the swift, or the Jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them? Well I say, "Cheating is the gift man gives himself." --Prosperity Gospel 8:12

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
I'd be interested to read a Buddhist reading of Job. He suffers horribly, and when he finally cracks and wishes he'd never even been conceived, God shows up and basically says, "Show of hands. Who here created the universe? What makes you think your life is so important?" It's a very 'all life is suffering' mindset.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shbobdb posted:

If you can take advantage of a situation in some way, it's your duty as an American to do it. Why should the race always be to the swift, or the Jumble to the quick-witted? Should they be allowed to win merely because of the gifts God gave them? Well I say, "Cheating is the gift man gives himself." --Prosperity Gospel 8:12

Oddly enough I've actually heard the argument that if you have an opportunity for profit you absolutely must take it because God put it in front of you and you must not question His will. Even if that's something like exploiting child workers in a third world country to become a billionaire. Because, you know, sins of the father and that. Have you ever noticed that poor countries are like always not Christian?

(ignore the ones that are, they obviously suck at being Christian so they still count)

Fighting Trousers posted:

I'd be interested to read a Buddhist reading of Job. He suffers horribly, and when he finally cracks and wishes he'd never even been conceived, God shows up and basically says, "Show of hands. Who here created the universe? What makes you think your life is so important?" It's a very 'all life is suffering' mindset.

The Buddhist view would more likely be that Job brought it on himself by wanting to be wealthy and clinging to all the stuff he had. If he had either avoided wealth or had an attitude of "oh well, easy come easy go" he would not have snapped. This is especially true if he had never sought a comfortable life in the first place. Really, the message is similar but the underlying teachings and the reason for the message is kind of different.

Of course God is still a jerk in that story no matter which way you slice it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oddly enough I've actually heard the argument that if you have an opportunity for profit you absolutely must take it because God put it in front of you and you must not question His will. Even if that's something like exploiting child workers in a third world country to become a billionaire. Because, you know, sins of the father and that. Have you ever noticed that poor countries are like always not Christian?

(ignore the ones that are, they obviously suck at being Christian so they still count)
So cocaine trafficking is all cool with Jesus then? (The Christ, I mean. I know Malverde is cool with that, but not the child labor.)

• Locked thread