Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Erwin posted:

Heads up for the two goons heading to Rome after me: Trevi Fountain is shut down for repairs. You can still see it, but the water is not running, and there's scaffolding all over. The Colosseum also has some scaffolding on one side, but it's not the side you'll want to take pictures of, so it's not a big deal.

One day I want to make a glossy coffee table photo book called World Monuments Obscured By Scaffolding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A lot of trains between major cities in Italy require mandatory reservations. These can be purchased well in advance, or at the station itself - if I leave myself the travel flexibility and just try to reserve at the station, am I going to be okay? Or am I going to find myself sitting in a train station waiting for a spot?

e: I want an answer to that question, but it also kinda comes down to this other question. Do I want to travel as the first thing that day, mid day, or at night? Right now I'm thinking first thing, but I'm wondering if there's an argument for doing it at the end of the day?

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 8, 2015

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A lot of trains between major cities in Italy require mandatory reservations. These can be purchased well in advance, or at the station itself - if I leave myself the travel flexibility and just try to reserve at the station, am I going to be okay? Or am I going to find myself sitting in a train station waiting for a spot?

e: I want an answer to that question, but it also kinda comes down to this other question. Do I want to travel as the first thing that day, mid day, or at night? Right now I'm thinking first thing, but I'm wondering if there's an argument for doing it at the end of the day?

For piece of mind you can book online ahead of time and make sure you have your seats. However, I never had any problems taking the busiest high speed routes and buying tickets the day of travel at the train station. I think over a period of 2 months of travel in Italy I never encountered a completely sold out train. The only thing slightly close I encountered was a Frecciarossa with about 30 singles seats, but none together.

As for your second question its all down to personal preference. I always did the first because I found it better to just check out and head to the next location instead of leaving bags at the hotel or train station and seeing some more things. However, going with the above benefit of flexible train ticket purchasing, if you have something extra you wanted to see in a city, leaving later could give you the chance to see something you might otherwise miss.

MagicCube fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 8, 2015

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

asur posted:

I'm so confused. How do the bulk of the people in this thread, who are presumably from a first world country, not have access to a debit card? I don't even think you can open a checking account in the US without receiving one.

Various places use different kinds of cards? There is a thing called Maestro in Europe, which is a debit card (not a credit card) but often used as the de facto card that gives you access to your account, and you can pay with it in shops etc. Other countries use Visa Debit/Visa Electron, which is also a debit card, but not necessarily interchangeably accepted alongside Maestro. On top of that, you have the regular credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Amex), though those do not come standard with most accounts and might require either a monthly or yearly fee, or a minimum of money coming in (and/or going out) each month.

Just to blow your ~first world~ mind, IKEA does not accept regular credit or debit cards (i.e. Visa) in most of Germany. They do take Maestro (EC) and cash, however. Also, I can't usually pay online with a Maestro card, but I can pay online with a Visa debit card.

Hollow Talk fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 8, 2015

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

freebooter posted:

I've lived in Europe for a year and have never once found that to be the case. Example?

edit - I should mention that I live in London which is obviously a hub, and also means I'm super poor and must always take the cheapest option available.

It's often the case when you're flying to a capital. The smaller national carriers serve their own nation's capital quite well and have good discounts to make them competitive with the cheap companies. Also, the cheap companies don't always serve the main airport of a country, for example, from Amsterdam you often have to go to Eindhoven for a cheap alternative. The national carriers also have more free luggage, food, better flying times and less hassle in general, and I'm seeing more and more cases where even the cheap airlines charge over €150 for a flight, which is already national carrier prices in some cases.. From Amsterdam I've found that the national carriers were quite competitive with the cheap options to Oslo, Vienna, Bucharest and sometimes to Lisbon.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

asur posted:

I'm so confused. How do the bulk of the people in this thread, who are presumably from a first world country, not have access to a debit card? I don't even think you can open a checking account in the US without receiving one.

That's what I'm saying. I have an Interac (debit) card, which is the standard in Canada. There's no way to use such a card to pay for flights on a European LCC. If I get one of the Visa Debit cards, the site will run it as a credit card and I'll be charged the extra fee anyway. Since there's no international standard for debit cards, the way there is for credit cards, things are much more difficult.

Other reasons to use a credit card: better protection on the things you purchase (many cards will offer some form of travel insurance when you use the card to purchase airline tickets, hotel rooms, etc.), cash-back/reward miles. Also, those miles, which I happen to have a lot of, usually aren't usable on LCCs. I have enough miles for a free return trip between any Star Alliance cities in the world, pretty much -- can easyJet beat that?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

MagicCube posted:

For piece of mind you can book online ahead of time and make sure you have your seats. However, I never had any problems taking the busiest high speed routes and buying tickets the day of travel at the train station. I think over a period of 2 months of travel in Italy I never encountered a completely sold out train. The only thing slightly close I encountered was a Frecciarossa with about 30 singles seats, but none together.

As for your second question its all down to personal preference. I always did the first because I found it better to just check out and head to the next location instead of leaving bags at the hotel or train station and seeing some more things. However, going with the above benefit of flexible train ticket purchasing, if you have something extra you wanted to see in a city, leaving later could give you the chance to see something you might otherwise miss.
Excellent, excellent, thank you!

asur
Dec 28, 2012

PT6A posted:

That's what I'm saying. I have an Interac (debit) card, which is the standard in Canada. There's no way to use such a card to pay for flights on a European LCC. If I get one of the Visa Debit cards, the site will run it as a credit card and I'll be charged the extra fee anyway. Since there's no international standard for debit cards, the way there is for credit cards, things are much more difficult.

Other reasons to use a credit card: better protection on the things you purchase (many cards will offer some form of travel insurance when you use the card to purchase airline tickets, hotel rooms, etc.), cash-back/reward miles. Also, those miles, which I happen to have a lot of, usually aren't usable on LCCs. I have enough miles for a free return trip between any Star Alliance cities in the world, pretty much -- can easyJet beat that?

Didn't realize Canadians get screwed. Visa debit should run without fee on EasyJet though apparently RyanAir has a more restrictive list and Americans get screwed there too. I don't disagree that credit cards have better protections, but it doesn't surprise me that a LLC is passing the fee along to the customer since those protections are paid for by the fee.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

freebooter posted:

One day I want to make a glossy coffee table photo book called World Monuments Obscured By Scaffolding.

I forgot to mention: even worse than scaffolding on Trevi Fountain is that someone came up with the idea of putting giant ads on scaffolding, so you have stereotypical shots of beautiful buildings ruined like this:

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Could use some advising. My mom got invited to a wedding in Frankfurt,Germany in the middle of October, and she has no idea how to layer for any weather there as she lives in Florida. She preemptively bought a wool hoodie and the goto marmot precip jacket. She intends to tour the city and nearby areas. Will she be fine with that combo?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Quixotic1 posted:

Could use some advising. My mom got invited to a wedding in Frankfurt,Germany in the middle of October, and she has no idea how to layer for any weather there as she lives in Florida. She preemptively bought a wool hoodie and the goto marmot precip jacket. She intends to tour the city and nearby areas. Will she be fine with that combo?

Temperatures in Frankfurt in October are on average between 5.8°C and 14.2°C (42.4°F - 57.6°F), the mean sunshine duration is 3 h 20 min per day and there are on average 8 rainy days in the month.

So yes, she should take really warm things with her if she is from Florida.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm from Texas and anything below 65 is sweater weather. I was in Amsterdam this spring and it was definitely long sleeve tshirt + fleece pullover weather, or long sleeve shirt + sweater. Mini umbrella went with me everywhere, although you can get some really good mini umbrellas in european department stores for fairly cheap.

Also if you're fatter than skinny that helps a bit but i doubt she will take off that hoodie except to sleep.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Honj Steak posted:

Temperatures in Frankfurt in October are on average between 5.8°C and 14.2°C (42.4°F - 57.6°F), the mean sunshine duration is 3 h 20 min per day and there are on average 8 rainy days in the month.
I like to think you had that information in your head.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Hey, a flight from Venice (marco polo airport) to London Gatwick Airport, direct with British Airways. Australian passport holders (not sure if the lines are different from us).

What time should I be at the airport if it leaves at 12:55PM? My normal rule is 3 hours international / 1 hour domestic, but like Italy to UK... is there a lot of security to clear? What time would British Airways close checkin?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ryanair has a thing where they have to visually inspect your passport before you clear security if your passport was issued outside the schengen zone, even if you're traveling within the schengen zone, which doesn't take but 20 seconds, but you still have to stand in line with all the mouthbreathers so that can take a while.

I flew "Frankfurt" -> Rome and arrived 90 minutes before my flight, NBD

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm going to miss the Last Supper in Milan. :( (Arriving mid day Sunday, it is closed on Monday, and I'd be giving up too much to see it on Tuesday morning)

Kaddish or Erwin, as my authorized agents, please see it on my behalf.

Reservations in hand for Vatican/Sistine, Uffizi, got my Roma Pass, etc, but the last minute realization that the Last Supper is closed on Monday put a wrinkle in that one.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm going to miss the Last Supper in Milan. :( (Arriving mid day Sunday, it is closed on Monday, and I'd be giving up too much to see it on Tuesday morning)

Reservations in hand for Vatican/Sistine, Uffizi, got my Roma Pass, etc, but the last minute realization that the Last Supper is closed on Monday put a wrinkle in that one.

Get reservations for Galleria dell'Accademia if you plan on going as the line for no reservations is crazy long.

You don't need reservations, but I highly recommend the Pinacoteca di Brera in Milan.

teacup posted:

Hey, a flight from Venice (marco polo airport) to London Gatwick Airport, direct with British Airways. Australian passport holders (not sure if the lines are different from us).

What time should I be at the airport if it leaves at 12:55PM? My normal rule is 3 hours international / 1 hour domestic, but like Italy to UK... is there a lot of security to clear? What time would British Airways close checkin?

It's an international flight as the UK is outside the schengen, but 3 hours seems pretty conservative in general. The Venice airport website recommends 2 hours, I'd personally probably do 1-1.5 hours before. I would guess that checkin closes either 45 minutes or an hour before the flight, and it should say on your boarding pass.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

teacup posted:

EU airports have different lines for EU citizens and all the rest. I don't see any difference in how fast the lines move, though. In fact, I'm not sure there is much difference in flying domestic vs international either. The most important factor is the size of the airport. If you're flying domestic from a huge airport that serves international lines too you should give it equal time. I usually come 1.5 hours before the flight.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Hadlock posted:

Ryanair has a thing where they have to visually inspect your passport before you clear security if your passport was issued outside the schengen zone, even if you're traveling within the schengen zone, which doesn't take but 20 seconds, but you still have to stand in line with all the mouthbreathers so that can take a while.
The UK and Ireland are not Schengen countries, so there are always passport checks when travelling to/from there. But in my experience the security lines and the size of the airport are also big factors in how much time it takes. Passport checks can be quite fast, depending on how busy that part of the airport is.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 9, 2015

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Canadians don't get screwed in Europe with debit cards, PT6A has just obviously never tried to use his debit card on the continent. I've used mine all over the place to both pay for things

I mean, unless he banks with some local tiny place, but my debit card's worked in Europe forever.

Hell, my mom used hers once at an ATM on the Lofotten Islands like 15 years ago no problem at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

HookShot posted:

Canadians don't get screwed in Europe with debit cards, PT6A has just obviously never tried to use his debit card on the continent. I've used mine all over the place to both pay for things

I mean, unless he banks with some local tiny place, but my debit card's worked in Europe forever.

Hell, my mom used hers once at an ATM on the Lofotten Islands like 15 years ago no problem at all.

Not on websites to buy airline tickets, though, which is what the discussion was about. Unless you know something I don't. I've never had a problem using a Canadian debit card at point-of-sale or at ATMs, but I don't believe there's any way for a Canadian to avoid the lovely credit card booking fee that most Euro LCCs charge unless they're actually in Europe at the time already.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

Not on websites to buy airline tickets, though, which is what the discussion was about. Unless you know something I don't. I've never had a problem using a Canadian debit card at point-of-sale or at ATMs, but I don't believe there's any way for a Canadian to avoid the lovely credit card booking fee that most Euro LCCs charge unless they're actually in Europe at the time already.

Yes you can, you just use your visa/debit card and type in all the info like a credit card, but choose "debit" as your option.

Unless you still pretend it's 2004 and don't have a visa/debit card, in which case you're screwed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Yes you can, you just use your visa/debit card and type in all the info like a credit card, but choose "debit" as your option.

Unless you still pretend it's 2004 and don't have a visa/debit card, in which case you're screwed.

Why and how would I get a separate Visa Debit card? My bank doesn't offer it, and the only place it would ever save me money, evidently, is with European LCCs, and I'd be missing out on travel miles anyway.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004
TD, RBC, CIBC and Scotia all offer them. BMO is in the Mastercard camp, but I couldn't find at a glance if they offer something equivalent.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

Why and how would I get a separate Visa Debit card? My bank doesn't offer it, and the only place it would ever save me money, evidently, is with European LCCs, and I'd be missing out on travel miles anyway.

Debit cards usually (always?) get better withdrawal rates at ATMs than using a credit card. Or you could use an ATM card, but then it's worthless for everything besides using in ATMs.

Also yeah in Europe it's pretty common to come across places that don't accept credit cards but will accept debit cards (although they might only accept European ones like Maestro, no idea).

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Visa Debit and Visa Electron aren't exclusive to Europe and are accepted pretty much everywhere that has a card reader at all.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

Saladman posted:

Debit cards usually (always?) get better withdrawal rates at ATMs than using a credit card. Or you could use an ATM card, but then it's worthless for everything besides using in ATMs.

Also yeah in Europe it's pretty common to come across places that don't accept credit cards but will accept debit cards (although they might only accept European ones like Maestro, no idea).

All of the debit cards I've seen levy a 2.5% commission on forex, just like (almost) all credit cards. Though the matter may still charge you a cash advance fee. For me the breakeven point was around a $300 withdrawal, between the 2.5% commission on the debit card, and the 0% commission + $5 cash advance fee on my credit card (amazon.ca visa).

My experience was if somewhere doesn't accept credit, it probably doesn't accept my debit card either, so it's cash or bust. I did encounter places in the Netherlands that only take cards, no cash, and only domestic cards at that.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That sucks man. We're sitting in a hotel in Naples trying to sleep but it's not working too well. Had some awesome pizza though.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

spoof posted:

All of the debit cards I've seen levy a 2.5% commission on forex, just like (almost) all credit cards. Though the matter may still charge you a cash advance fee. For me the breakeven point was around a $300 withdrawal, between the 2.5% commission on the debit card, and the 0% commission + $5 cash advance fee on my credit card (amazon.ca visa).

My experience was if somewhere doesn't accept credit, it probably doesn't accept my debit card either, so it's cash or bust. I did encounter places in the Netherlands that only take cards, no cash, and only domestic cards at that.

Where was that? There are card only checkouts at most supermarkets, but there's always an option to pay in cash (I think it would be illegal not to accept cash at all, in fact).

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Shibawanko posted:

Where was that? There are card only checkouts at most supermarkets, but there's always an option to pay in cash (I think it would be illegal not to accept cash at all, in fact).

I saw that in Amsterdam at a couple of places -- blue PIN ONLY stickers on the door. For instance I had a problem when I had some chocolate at a Chocolate Company cafe bar and I only had cash and American Express card on me.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Yes we have shops and supermarkets like that and they are becoming more common, it's considered safer not to have any cash on hand. But they don't take only 'domestic' cards, they generally accept at least any Maestro or V-PAY card. Usually they also take other debit cards with a chip, or maybe even credit cards with a chip.

In fact I don't think there is such a thing as a domestic Dutch card. They are almost all Maestro cards, which is an international debit card network by MasterCard. And the others are V-PAY, which is Europe-wide.

Card-only stores are legal as long as they put a sign up. Just that something is legal tender doesn't mean you are forced to accept it, many places refuse high-denomination Euro notes too (i.e. over 100).

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 10, 2015

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saladman posted:

Okay... now I see the disconnect. In Canada, your ATM card is the same thing as a debit card, unless you go out of your way to get one of the Visa Debit cards (which my bank doesn't offer). This works at all points-of-sale and ATMs, domestically and internationally, but not online as such. I believe they work on the Maestro network, but I'm not sure about the specifics. I'm 99% sure there's no way to pay online using them, though.

Still, I definitely prefer actually paying for things with my credit card. Depending on which one I use, I get travel miles or cashback, which is basically like getting free money, and I pay it off at the end of the month in full so there's no interest. Why on earth would I prefer a debit card over that?

The point is: British, KLM, Lufthansa, etc. all allow me to pay using my credit card, which is the simplest and most beneficial way to pay, whereas every LCC likes to charge me money for that same privilege (among many others), and they make you feel like slightly less of a sardine. LCCs suck.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I dunno. I flew to loving Morocco from Holland for 10 euros once. That was less than the price of the train ticket to get to the airport.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It looks like I wildly misunderstood phone use in Italy. I thought I was going to have to get on a Global Data Plan and pick up a SIM card and this and that. But it's expensive as hell and it's all quite stupid.

If I say sod it to the whole thing and just take my phone as-is, and help myself to free wi-fi wherever it is, I'm fine right? I will not be placing or receiving calls or browsing Facebook or checking sports scores. I'm on a muh fuh vacation. I want to just occasionally upload a picture, check a map (even though I have offline maps), or maybe check Yelp or Trip Advisor for suggestions on our next stop. I can just roll up on some free wi-fi for that right?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My mom took a cruise to Europe and spent time in Italy and just did the Wifi thing. She didn't have any problems sending the occasional email or whatever.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

It looks like I wildly misunderstood phone use in Italy. I thought I was going to have to get on a Global Data Plan and pick up a SIM card and this and that. But it's expensive as hell and it's all quite stupid.

If I say sod it to the whole thing and just take my phone as-is, and help myself to free wi-fi wherever it is, I'm fine right? I will not be placing or receiving calls or browsing Facebook or checking sports scores. I'm on a muh fuh vacation. I want to just occasionally upload a picture, check a map (even though I have offline maps), or maybe check Yelp or Trip Advisor for suggestions on our next stop. I can just roll up on some free wi-fi for that right?

Yes you will be fine.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Okay thank you to both of you.

I ended up down some ridiculous rabbit hole. Everything I've wanted to know, I've googled - what to see in Venice, how to get to Pompeii, how to this how to that. So I innocently looked up "how to use Verizon phone in Italy", eeeeep, wrong thing to look up there. I don't need to use my phone, I just need to take an occasional picture with it or check a review. Should have been looking up "wifi availability italy" or something.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 11, 2015

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Work paid for my international plan, but yeah, I've used less data than I expected by just mooching wifi. Most restaurants in the cities have it. Google Maps can save offline maps of areas and you can still see where you are without using data. It's surprisingly easy to get along without data.

Also another update on things that are closed and other notes, this time in Florence:
-Florence was more crowded than Rome
-The Baptistery is covered in scaffolding, but still open I think. We didn't go in.
-At the Cathedral, one ticket covers climbing the bell tower, climbing the dome, and seeing the archeological site of the older church below the cathedral. The easiest way to get the ticket is to go in the cathedral (free) then go down to the old church and buy it there, where there's no line.
-In Uffizi, a bunch of Botticelli stuff has moved or is unavailable due to renovations. If you were planning to use an outside audio guide (we were using Rick Steves), it won't match the rooms correctly.
-Sunset at Piazzale Michelangelo was well worth the climb.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Do you have an unlocked phone? It should be something like $5 for the sim and $10-15 for data/phone if you want to get something. If not pretty much all hotels should have WiFi and probably a quarter of restaurants and then random other places.

- The Baptistery in Florence is open and the Duomo ticket covers it. They have a spectacular stained glass piece that is definitely worth seeing. If anything I'd recommend skipping the Cathedral itself as the line is generally crazy long and the inside is pretty unimpressive except the dome and you get a better view of that when you go up to the top of the dome.

asur fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I've been all around Europe and never felt the need to get a data plan. Offline maps exist, and whatever place you're sleeping at is almost guaranteed to have wifi. For looking things up on the go, there is usually wifi at train stations or McDonalds or city parks or random cafes and such. If you're a university student with Eduroam access it's even easier, auto-connecting wifi in various places in city centers whenever you walk past a building that happens to be university-owned.