Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

In anticipation of this game, I've started playing through New Super Mario Bros U, which I got as a pack-in with my Wii U but never really played.

It's the perfect way to get hyped for Super Mario Maker, because it has the constant feeling of "I could make way better levels than this."

How far are you? Because that game is a lot like 3D World in that it takes the kid gloves off a few worlds in and starts throwing the good poo poo at you.

One of the biggest shames about that game is that people constantly write it off because it looks like the other NSMB games and has a bunch of easy levels at the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I think I got as far the frozen world and water world that both unlock at the same time.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Zonekeeper posted:

How far are you? Because that game is a lot like 3D World in that it takes the kid gloves off a few worlds in and starts throwing the good poo poo at you.

One of the biggest shames about that game is that people constantly write it off because it looks like the other NSMB games and has a bunch of easy levels at the beginning.

I'm in the Islands/Snow worlds. The difficulty is fine, but there's a haphazard quality to the level design. Secret areas that contain nothing but a handful of coins, difficulty by way of enemy volume rather than enemy placement, repetition of level elements without sufficient variation to keep things interesting, etc. When it's good it's good but when it's bad it's really a chore.

I think it's more a result of them having to split the difference between single player and multiplayer. 3D World did a lot better in terms of designing levels that accommodated multiple people while not feeling sparse when you're alone.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if they're going to have to have tutorials for those people who have never played mario 3 or mario world or nsmb before and don't know how to use the flight mechanics. All four of those people.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

I think it's more a result of them having to split the difference between single player and multiplayer. 3D World did a lot better in terms of designing levels that accommodated multiple people while not feeling sparse when you're alone.

I can see what you mean. The level design assumes the presence of up to 4 players, so the screen area kind of has to be used inefficiently to support that. Unlike 3D world, the designers only had 2 dimensions to work in, so it stands out a lot more.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

nftyw posted:

I wonder if they're going to have to have tutorials for those people who have never played mario 3 or mario world or nsmb before and don't know how to use the flight mechanics. All four of those people.

Like every Nintendo game on the WiiU, there's a digital manual, and it looks like this one is going to be a bit more robust than most. I'm going to guess it includes a mechanical summary of each game-type for those who haven't played.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I don't think I've actually cared about a Wii U game as much as this one since getting the console at launch (8GB Basic lol). This represents unlimited 2D Mario levels that don't have to be in the New SMB style. Can't wait.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Any suggestions for the release thread title?

My current idea is "Super Mario Maker: Anyone can make a level no one can beat"

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Super Mario Maker: Finally, A Good Sonic Game

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kelp Plankton posted:

holy poo poo :worship:

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Kelp Plankton posted:

:worship:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes please

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Also, Super Mario Maker: Finally, A Mega Man Game

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm still leaning towards the low-hanging fruit of Super Mario Maker: A Game We'll Never Forget

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not even sure if my Wii U works but I'm going out to pre-order this game today :toot:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I don't care what the new thread title is as long as it has the tag.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DalaranJ posted:

Any suggestions for the release thread title?

My current idea is "Super Mario Maker: Anyone can make a level no one can beat"

"Super Mario Maker: Kaizo...I'm Already a Demon"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Rocketlex posted:

I don't care what the new thread title is as long as it has the tag.

Super Mario Maker: Rebuilding on 9/11

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Plankton posted:

Now you're making me think of that old debug code in Sonic 1 where you could fly around putting items and enemies all over the stage and how appropriate it is to this game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Super Mario Maker: Yes, You Can Play As Waluigi

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Super Mario Maker: Mamma Mia, Luigi, We Forgot!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

my first mario maker stage is going to be ghost house with plenty of conveyor belts. no wait maybe an underground level filled with ice blocks and piranha plants that shoot fireballs. or even a level filled with just bull's-eye bills

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Before people start playing the game, one thing you should know is that when you start, you can only upload 10 levels total. If you get 50 stars (likes) that number increases to 20 uploads. I don't know how high the number of uploads you get goes, but I suspect there would be at least one more increase to 30 uploads.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

AfroLine posted:

my first mario maker stage is going to be ghost house with plenty of conveyor belts. no wait maybe an underground level filled with ice blocks and piranha plants that shoot fireballs. or even a level filled with just bull's-eye bills

I'm sorry, unless you time travel it will be a grassland with some goombas.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

That's not going to stop me.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I have an idea I'm really excited about for a level that only uses Day 1 content, but won't actually have wifi on Day 1 to upload it to the internet. :(

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Sam Faust posted:

Before people start playing the game, one thing you should know is that when you start, you can only upload 10 levels total. If you get 50 stars (likes) that number increases to 20 uploads. I don't know how high the number of uploads you get goes, but I suspect there would be at least one more increase to 30 uploads.

Protip, you can have multiple Miiverse Accounts on the same Wii U. There is a hard limit, but you can have at least 4. So, to get around the upload limit, you can just make extra users on the Wii U and have all of them upload stages.

Maybe this is also why Nintendo has the daily unlock system, to make it so people cannot easily upload a bunch of stages using multiple users.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Guys

3 days

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
the wait, it hurts

I haven't felt so excited about a game release in a really long time. One of the random streams I watched had this amazing airship level that shows that, even with all the garbage that's going to be put out there, it's going to be worth it when the 100 challenge level lottery gives you a winner.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ChibiSoma posted:

This, please. Make this the title

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

Getting enough people to play your levels is the hardest part about editors that do this. The last level editor I really got into was Modnation Racers and I had to kind of market the levels to get them played. I hope they're good about slipping stages with very few plays into the 100 Mario mode.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

ChibiSoma posted:

Super Mario Maker: The Phantom Princess (Daisy)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

J-Spot posted:

Getting enough people to play your levels is the hardest part about editors that do this. The last level editor I really got into was Modnation Racers and I had to kind of market the levels to get them played. I hope they're good about slipping stages with very few plays into the 100 Mario mode.

I think it'd be cool if the OP for this game could keep an running list of goon creators so anyone who wants to take a real swing at it can get at least some exposure here

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tamayachi posted:

Super Mario Maker: The Phantom Princess (Daisy)

you guys are on point

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

J-Spot posted:

That could very well be the reason so many unlocks are hidden behind it. Make people mainline as many user levels as possible to ensure everyone's levels get played.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
After you have uploaded a level, if you edit it and re-upload it gives you a new id. Is it possible to delete levels you have uploaded? If not what if I upload 10 crappy levels that never earn any stars, is that it then?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I would guess the system would be like "You already have the maximum number of levels uploaded, choose one to delete to upload this one."

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Not sure how I feel about you not being able to edit levels without reuploading them with a new ID. Modnation Racers did the same thing and for me I found it discouraged me from going in and fixings issues because I didn't want to lose my level stats. LittleBigPlanet lets you go in and change stuff at will and the only real negative I can see is that your leaderboard results won't always reflect the same scoring opportunities, but that wouldn't be an issue here as Nintendo seems to have inexplicably not implemented a level specific leaderboard even though it does keep score for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

J-Spot posted:

even though it does keep score for some reason.

I'm pretty sure score is just legacy. Otherwise, how would we instinctively know that, after nine successful topple-hops, we get a 1-Up (which has been Mario's real currency since 1990)?

Other than Vs Super Mario Bros, has any other mainline Super Mario Bros title had any sort of leaderboard?

• Locked thread