Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

U-DO Burger posted:

Thanks to this thread I started playing FFIX again a couple weeks ago. My 3-year-old daughter was watching me play and I tried to explain to her what was going on, and it seems she took in more than I thought.

Vivi's physical attack animation is pretty satisfying, for some reason. Does he get any different styles of weapon that change the animation from the standard "bop on the head" he has right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

zfleeman posted:

Vivi's physical attack animation is pretty satisfying, for some reason. Does he get any different styles of weapon that change the animation from the standard "bop on the head" he has right now?

The only characters we have currently that use more than one type of weapon are Zidane (daggers and thief swords) and Garnet (staves and... uh... lacrosse rackets). The only character we haven't seen yet with more than one type of weapon uses the same weapon types as Garnet.

So no, normal attack animations generally aren't going to change up any.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

KataraniSword posted:

The only characters we have currently that use more than one type of weapon are Zidane (daggers and thief swords) and Garnet (staves and... uh... lacrosse rackets). The only character we haven't seen yet with more than one type of weapon uses the same weapon types as Garnet.

Garnet and the other character you're talking about only share one weapon type.

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

zfleeman posted:

He really likes to work on those shafts.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Quina is just great. Also Quina's theme is great.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I noticed nobody has mentioned the best third-person gender-neutral pronoun.

Thon eats frogs. Thon gets strong!

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
Dinosaur Comics is trash. Thon hasn't updated the art since it started.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

McDragon posted:

Quina is just great. Also Quina's theme is great.

Sure is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

KataraniSword posted:

I racket some with Dagger in the LLG. Should I gif it when I get there?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Everyone's excited, so let's get to the best minigame.

This is the Ragtime Mouse. He'll only encounter you in forests. In fact, there's a trick where you can repeatedly tap a direction to only encounter him.

These are his friends, True and False.

Unlike regular battles, the Ragtime Mouse instead challenges your memory.

So you have ~20 seconds to attack True or False, depending on what answer you think is correct. You could also attack the Ragtime Mouse but he wouldn't be too happy with that.

The correct answer is false. I tried to find an in-game source but no luck. Closest I could find:

The 9th war was in 1389. While it's certainly possible there was six more wars in 200 years, it's probably unlikely. It's probably mentioned somewhere explicitly though in-game.

Attack the correct answer and you get it right.

There's a gil reward for being right, and it increases the more answers you get right.

There are further rewards for getting a lot of answers right down the line.

There are four questions we get access to in Disc 1. I'll go ahead and cover those now.

I also couldn't find any source for this, though I'm fairly confident it's been mentioned in the LP so far.

Anyway, this is also false.

Next question.

Now this I'm not sure we've seen mentioned. However, Artania is the minister of Lindblum and doesn't seem to have any relation to airships or the manufacturing of such, so this is also wrong.

Last question.

That is correct, actually.

After you get three questions right, the reward increases to 2000 gil.

That's all we can ask for now, though.

Anyway, we're done for now with the best minigame. We've got just one more thing to check out before we start the next dungeon.

This is where Baku and the others were during that ATE in Lindblum.

RIVER SOUNDS

The main reason to come here is to take some coffee Cinna forgot about.

This is one of the three coffees we can give Morrid. This is important because otherwise we can't get a model airship that does nothing but look cool.

We can also heal up here.

And there's an Ether lying around.

Alright. That's it. There's nothing else. We're ready to...oh wait.

There's also some loving bird forest but who cares.

I'm Mene, master of this forest! This chocobo is my friend, kupo. His name is Choco.
Kweeeh!
And this is...

Welcome to Chocobo's Forest. This place is pretty important if you want to break the game.

Not that Zidane gives a poo poo about all that, of course.

No. But ugly girl came by here.
Oh... I guess she didn't come this way. Maybe she's heading toward Burmecia after all... I'd better get movin'.
You in a hurry, kupo?
Yeah, sort of.

Choco, come here.
It's okay. Don't force him...
No. If Choco hates, Choco runs away.

Welp.

Fine. I'll just get to the point, kupo.

Find chocobo footprints near the forest, kupo. Use Gysahl Greens there, and Choco will come.

Come back to this forest after you call him in the world. I'll tell you a big secret, kupo.

So first you look for footprints in the overworld such as these.

Then you use Gysahl Greens, which conveniently also cure Berserk in battle.

And there you go, a chocobo! Unlike other games, Choco doesn't leave when you get off him, so you can ride him again if you desire. And you can always use Gysahl Greens to resummon him.

There is a theme for riding Choco, but patience.

Kweeeh!!!

Now we can learn the big secret and buy Gysahl Greens.

They're 80 gil each, and you should never bother buying them.

Why? Well, it has to do with the big secret, kupo!

Did you know, kupo? Once chocobo chooses its master, it follows him forever. Choco ran away from his last master. That guy was mean. Choco didn't like him, kupo... I helped Choco escape. Now, we're living together, kupo.

Choco has ability to seek out treasures and items hidden underground. But I can't ride chocobos. Will you help me, kupo? 60 Gil per game, and you keep all the items Choco digs up!

The items you get from this game are usually worth way more than the 60 Gil you pay, so there's no reason not to.

Okay! Let's give it try, kupo!

Chocobo Hot & Cold is exactly what it sounds like. You peck around until you get a "Kweh!?" or better, then eventually home in on the item until you find the spot, then peck repeatedly until it's dug up.

Kweh. means you're cold.

Kwehhh!? means you're close. That said, the worst part of this game is you can peck around for 30-something seconds trying to find the drat item because you aren't precise enough. It's pretty frustrating when you know the item is just god drat here I've followed the clues just give it to me god dammit.

Once you do find it, you attack the ground.

Each peck does a certain amount of damage to the ground. Once you get the ground to 0HP, you get the item.

There are a ton of consumables you can get here, including higher-end ones like Remedies and Phoenix Pinions. You will also get tons of Gysahl Greens, which is why you should never actively buy them (I ended up with over 30 after playing this game enough times).

Those are all nice, but the big get is this stone.

Also, each item gives you points. These stones give more, while consumables give only a couple points. You get bonus points for finding stones and for finding a new item within five seconds of your last item. There's also bonuses if you get four items in a row. As for what points actually do, I'll explain those in a bit.

Digging enough will level up your beak. Each level adds one attack to your beak, so now Choco does eight damage to the ground instead of six with his L1 beak.

You can only find one stone per game. Antidotes and its ilk are much more common and what you'll usually get playing this game.

The game ends after 60 seconds. 20 points + 5 bonus for the stone, 1 for the Antidote. The stone gained us two beak levels, though.

This is all important because

Can I see? Kupo?

This place must have tons of treasures... Why don't you go out of the forest and look for this place? Kupo? It's free of charge, of course.

Finding treasure in the overworld is similar to playing Hot & Cold in the forest, except obviously with a bigger search area.

...Chocograph?
I think Choco's been searching for something all his life. There must be tons of treasures, kupo! You might find some cards, so you should leave some room in your card inventory, kupo!

So Chocobo Hot & Cold itself is fun and a nice way to get some items, but that's only part of it. The real meat comes from these Chocographs.

The picture and the text will give you a clue as to where you should look. Fortunately, when you do a Chocograph it'll leave the picture on the overworld as a handy reference.

Anyway, let's get exploring with this game's chocobo theme!

:siren: :siren:

This is by far the chillest chocobo theme in the series, so enjoy it.

If you want, you can also access chocographs in the world map, which is handy.

The world map's actually a bit more forgiving with positioning than the forest.

Once you find the spot, you get the treasure. Unlike in the forest, the treasure here is always set. And there's usually a lot to go around.

For instance, the very first chest has two Elixirs, three Hi-Potions, four Ethers, and two Germinas Boots. These boots teach Flee, Alert (prevent back attacks), and HP +10% (HP +10%), and they also raise damage of any earth attacks you may use. Not too shabby a haul.

Now, about points.

This is service I offer, kupo! I'll give you point for each item you find. Exchange points for items when you save up enough!

Pretty simple. The expensive stuff is really useful end-game gear, but good luck getting enough points before the end-game.

Anyway, a bit more about Hot & Cold.

I'll double the points from here! I'll give you 10 extra seconds! Good luck, kupo!

If we get four items in 60 seconds, we gain 10 more seconds and any points we gain at that point are doubled. Pretty nice if you luck into a good run. The game immediately ends if you hit eight items though (not that I've ever managed to get eight).

There are nine Chocographs available to dig up, though right now we can only access two, including the one we already dug up.

Chocographs will be greyed out if you don't have the right abilities. You can see this in the bottom right window. Yes, Choco can gain abilities. More on that in a later update.

You can also hit select on a clue for a further hint. Most are more helpful than this, of course.

The icon has an open chest if you've already found it.

This one isn't accessible right now, sadly.

This is the second we can reach, so let's do so.

The reward here is five Potions, five Hi-Potions, two Tents, and two Cotton Robes. Since we just synthed 99 Cotton Robes and the best get is Hi-Potions...meh.

Oh, there's also Chocograph Pieces.

Can I see, kupo? It's a fragment of Chocograph, kupo. There's something carved on back. It's faded, kupo... I'll put it in Key under your Item Menu. Take a look, kupo. I think you're supposed to collect the pieces until you complete one Chocograph! Kupo!

I want to say this is a reference, but it doesn't seem to reference anything I can remember.

Eventually I play long enough to dig up all the available chocographs. Thankfully Mene will tell you when there's nothing left to dig up. It's good to dig up certain ones before heading on.

Anyway, we're finally done with side quests. Next time, Gizamaluke Grotto!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vamo'alla Flamenco is one of the five best tracks in the game and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise. :colbert:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think the forged ticket mentions "I want to be your crow" as Lord Avon. At least the playwright was right.

Also, Shakespeare being the "Bard of Avon"

And I know there's some other comments about the writer in-game, just can't remember where.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
There's an info panel in the Prima Vista, to the right, right when you start the game and light the candle, that I think gives the answer to that Ragtime Mouse question.

I'm pretty sure Lord Avon is mentioned in Alexandria library?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Id guess the stone is referring to Deathgaze.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
The "danger in the sky"?

What else could it be but...Ozma?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure that's what Cid I was referring to. Hunter's Mark Says "A true hunter must seek his targets in the sky"

ZevGun
Sep 6, 2011
Well if Cid the First is saying it, it's clearly a reference to the sky castle in FF1, or more to the point Warmech.
Also, as good as the over world and hot&cold themes are, I rather enjoy http://tindeck.com/listen/anhba as a chocobo theme.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Ragtime Mouse is mean because while there are hints for all of his questions in the game (and some actually have multiple hints) most of those hints only come either way, way after you can encounter him to get the info, or have a very strict window where you can see them.
For example, the four questions this update:

15th Lindblum war is mentioned on the Three knights of Pluto statue.
There's multiple references to Lord Avon in the game, the earliest being Vivi's ticket (there's also some dude in Alexandria's Library who mentions as such.)
The Theater Ship one is mean. First room of the game before you light the Candle, there's an interactive info board in the room that tells about the Prima Vista. The only other place I think you can get the hint is from the Minature Prima Vista Morris has. After finishing his Coffee Quest.
The Chocobo Forest is practically the gimme of this update. I mean it's right there.

Speaking of the Chocobo Forest, I too have wasted hundreds of thousands of gil on not getting any item for a solid minute because it's entirely possible for you to get a 90 depth item (which means you have to pixel hunt with Choco's beak in order to start digging it up) and not being able to dig it up since you can only dig once a second :suicide:

Still did it enough to get ultimate weapons though.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Ignore this post, I'm a horrible goon being a back-seat LPer

Kemix fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 8, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Near the end of FFIX I was playing it way way too late, especially on school nights. As a result, everything about the game past this point is entirely a blur. There is exactly one thing I can recall with any clarity, and that's Chocobo Hot & Cold. The music drilled it into my skull.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I've never seen the Friendly Monsters' battle theme called "Aerial Battle" before. Usually it's "Fairy Battle".

That aside, I've heard the Ragtime Mouse is actually a mistranslated name. It's apparently supposed to be Ragtime Mouth. There are a number of mistranslated names in FFIX, and I'll try to point out the ones I know. :eng101:

And Chocobo's Hot and Cold is great. Starts out a little slow, though, since Choco is, ironically, a little sluggish. Fortunately, leveling his Beak up helps make things quicker. And then you start getting the really good upgrades.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Vamo'alla Flamenco is one of the five best tracks in the game and I will fight anyone who claims otherwise. :colbert:

Agreed.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 8, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

You do realize that every point you've made here is something that Mega will probably cover himself when he actually gets there, yes? Don't be a backseat-LPer, be cool and delete that crap, will you?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And there were small typos here.

Actually, that's just how he talks. I think. Pretty sure.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
If you play Chocobo Hot and Cold enough you can start to notice that there are certain locations that they only spawn in. If you can remember the exact pixels where you dug up an item from around that area, you can start picking them up with incredible ease. Even if there are two in the general area, you can just hit the ground in one area, realize it's not it, and go to the next one. Memorizing the exact locations (not with a guide, just with how often I played the game) is the best way to get 8 items, and I can do it consistently with some of the earlier ones. The later ones I have to be a little more lucky.

Eventually I start getting angry when the Chocograph appears *before* the 4 item point bonus appears, because I'm going to get 8 items anyway, I just want to squeeze out a little extra points while I'm at it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Actually, that's just how he talks. I think. Pretty sure.

Is that so? I might've mentally filled in the blanks in that case. I'll have to check to be sure.

Edit: Seems like I made the mistake! Never mind me, then.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I tried Chocobo Hot & Cold, but I didn't think much of it. It was okay. After this point in the game, I never went back that I can remember. You don't really need the ultimate weapons to beat this game and if the way of getting ultimate weapons isn't fun (I'm looking at you, FFX) then I just pass. The music is catchy though, that can't be denied.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can see why people would dislike this mini-game since, again, it does start out slow and you have to work at raising Choco for it to get really fun.

But, on the other hand, it's not lightning dodging. Or bird dodging. Or butterfly dodging.

Why are most of FFX's minigames about dodging, anyway?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

SonicRulez posted:

I tried Chocobo Hot & Cold, but I didn't think much of it. It was okay. After this point in the game, I never went back that I can remember. You don't really need the ultimate weapons to beat this game and if the way of getting ultimate weapons isn't fun (I'm looking at you, FFX) then I just pass. The music is catchy though, that can't be denied.

I remember on my first playthrough I completely missed the Chocobo Forest. The TV I had back then was really dark and so in the Mist I couldn't see poo poo. I had to follow the brown thingies to get from Lindblum to Burmecia. So I missed it. I did the other sidequests, but not that one. And this is how I see it.

Chocobo Hot and Cold is basically the game toggling the difficulty to Easy. You can get ridiculously overpowered equipment from it. There is a noticeable rise in difficulty of the endgame if you don't get some of it. And I think at one point, the game expects you to have it. There's a small cutscene in a Disc 3 battle where a character uses an ability they can only have at that point if you play Hot and Cold. The character uses the ability regardless.

I tried to be as vague as I could Mega, but if you'd like me to redact that I will.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

I want to say this is a reference, but it doesn't seem to reference anything I can remember.

It's not a reference, it's foreshadowing.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just love the simplicity of the game. Run around, hit button to dig. Level up to dig harder! Then you get the chocographs, and it expands into a worldwide treasure hunt which makes for some great sidequesting.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Everything about Chocobo Hot and Cold is perfect. The essential simplicity, the additional features of progression, the awesome rewards, the fun of hunting down the chocograph treasures, Vamo alla Flamenco, best minigame in any game I've played hands down.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd hesitate to call the pixel hunting perfect.

I've lost count of how many times I've run the clock down trying to get a Kwehhh!? to turn into that elusive K-KWEHH!!! for a full 30 seconds.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd hesitate to call the pixel hunting perfect.

I've lost count of how many times I've run the clock down trying to get a Kwehhh!? to turn into that elusive K-KWEHH!!! for a full 30 seconds.

If you just jiggle the analogue stick while mashing square once you find a Kwehhhh? then you'll get it in five seconds max :ssh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rarity posted:

If you just jiggle the analogue stick while mashing square once you find a Kwehhhh? then you'll get it in five hundred seconds max :ssh:

Fixed that for ya. Tried it, didn't work. The Chocobo takes hugemongus steps.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EponymousMrYar posted:

Fixed that for ya. Tried it, didn't work. The Chocobo takes hugemongus steps.

Then you're doing it wrong :colbert:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
I've found it helps if you just use the directional pad rather than the analog stick, and make sure that you're NOT holding the Run button (hence the d-pad; in my experience the stick tends to take a running step no matter how lightly you tap it). But yeah, I've wasted upwards of 40 seconds searching for one goddamn item. I love this mini-game so much but it can be frustrating as hell when the game decides you're just not going to hit that pixel.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

I used to get so frustrated with chocobo hot & cold, but in a good way. I like trying to find things and at one point I got really good at the game. I actually managed to hit the 8 item limit once, and only once. Picked up a chocograph after the first 4 items and got a ton of points just of that. I got really lucky with item placement.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
Reading these posts makes me feel good. I must be a Hot'n'Cold god or something because I don't have any of those problems. Running out the time without finding a single item? Maybe if you were 7 years old at the time. You can cover the vast majority of the field with wide checking in about 10 seconds.

Mega64 posted:

The game immediately ends if you hit eight items though (not that I've ever managed to get eight).
:catstare:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Digging in the actual forest can be kind of annoying but the treasure hunting around the world map is great, especially since you get such valuable rewards from it. Some of those chocographs are real tricky though.

Also Ukulele De Chocobo is great but then pretty much every track in this game is great. Which is good because there are like a hundred tracks in the game with quite a few only ever playing once (including maybe my favorite track in the series which won't come up in a long-rear end time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've never seen the Friendly Monsters' battle theme called "Aerial Battle" before. Usually it's "Fairy Battle".

Yeah, much like Steiner Stealth that's neither the (spoilers within) official or literal track name, not sure where some of these are from.

I'm one of the 'Chocobo Hot & Cold didn't seem good so I didn't do it more than once' people, but yeah, you obviously don't need it.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 8, 2015

• Locked thread