Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

mindphlux posted:

I think I missed that crucial detail in my exuberance.

but still, my point stands - I mean, you can either do something intentional to your lovely steaks that will make them enjoyable, or your can try and cook them as steaks, and be disappointed.

if you froze them and stacked them all up side by side, you could put them through a meat slicer really thin for korean style bbq? or a place here in town makes the loving best philly cheese steaks from ribeye - also paper thin sliced.

or if you have some activa and patience, you could literally glue the entire tenderloin back into one piece? or stack two ribeyes each and glue them back together?

anyways I agree with others, you shouldn't have taken delivery. jesus christ I'd be mad. I'm mad for you.

Yeah, it was my first time and I was really confused, and didn't get angry until it was all loaded and we were 20 minutes away and I really started to think about it. I won't make the same mistake again. Thankfully, after I got home I went through the whole batch and found that the other cuts were correct (roasts, organs, oxtail, marrow bones, etc) so that calmed me down a lot especially since they gave me a few extra organs (from other cows) as a bonus.

I agree that I'll be trying to figure out how to make them taste right, korean bbq's a good idea. I'm Chinese, we're the kings of cutting meat into itty bitty tiny pieces so I really shouldn't have panicked about it. :lol: I'm not sure about going the meat glue route, but it'd be interesting! I'm tempted to try it just for :science:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

lol @ buying foodsaver bags. Get a roll, or go to your local restaurant supply and get 100 vollrath textured bags for 20bux.

Yeah, "lol" at this guy doing something completely normal that lots of people do. If only there were a chef or something in the thread who could tell this scrub that he should be using bulk wholesale restaurant supplies.

Do you know any chefs?

Preferably a chef who makes lovely unfunny YouTube videos and acts like monumentally superior douchebag as often as he can. And tells everyone who'll listen that he's a chef.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, "lol" at this guy doing something completely normal that lots of people do. If only there were a chef or something in the thread who could tell this scrub that he should be using bulk wholesale restaurant supplies.

Do you know any chefs?

Preferably a chef who makes lovely unfunny YouTube videos and acts like monumentally superior douchebag as often as he can. And tells everyone who'll listen that he's a chef.

Quotin this

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I know this forum is more for cooking food than growing it, but I don't know where else to ask short of signing up for some obscure fruit-forums account. We got a pomegranate tree from the previous owners of this house, and the fruits are getting close to what seems to be the right size. We're concerned though, because the reddening is extremely patchy and uneven and about half of each fruit has an appearance of dark leather with crackled skin. I tried looking up diseases but was inconclusive. Does anyone know about this?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

Do you know any chefs?

lolll drat son :hf:

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 7, 2015

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Triskelli posted:

I know this forum is more for cooking food than growing it, but I don't know where else to ask short of signing up for some obscure fruit-forums account. We got a pomegranate tree from the previous owners of this house, and the fruits are getting close to what seems to be the right size. We're concerned though, because the reddening is extremely patchy and uneven and about half of each fruit has an appearance of dark leather with crackled skin. I tried looking up diseases but was inconclusive. Does anyone know about this?

From the look of the arils they're definitely not ripe yet - they should have some red color to them. Aside from the color issue they look just fine. Is the tree getting a lot of sun? My guess is the brown patch is sunburn on the fruit. I'm not sure pomegranates get that, but a lot of fruits do. The rest of it just looks like an underripe pomegranate. My advice would be to leave them on the tree and check every week or two to see how the ripening is coming along. Should be fine.

And we've had gardening threads in GWS before, so I'd say this is the right place for it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thanks! The tree's on the northwest side of the house with very little shade, so that's likely what it is. Truth be told we are not the caliber of gardener the previous owners were, and have been having trouble keeping everything... tamed? Just wanted to make sure we got the pomegranates as soon as they ripened. We have a fruit-salad tree too, which bore fruit in mid-spring. We were waiting for them to ripen, then woke up to see the squirrels picked and ate them before we had the chance. Don't want that happening again.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Triskelli posted:

Thanks! The tree's on the northwest side of the house with very little shade, so that's likely what it is. Truth be told we are not the caliber of gardener the previous owners were, and have been having trouble keeping everything... tamed? Just wanted to make sure we got the pomegranates as soon as they ripened. We have a fruit-salad tree too, which bore fruit in mid-spring. We were waiting for them to ripen, then woke up to see the squirrels picked and ate them before we had the chance. Don't want that happening again.

I want to see the tree that grows apples, oranges, and watermelons.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Scientastic posted:

Do you know any chefs?

I ain't even mad.

e: you know what, gently caress you. I am a chef. I worked hard to get where I am. I'm not making GBS threads on anyone, just having a little internal 'lol'. Maybe my YouTube thing is unfunny, I don't give a flying gently caress, I have fun doing it. And you know what, the more I do it, the better I'm going to get.

And just for your information, lots of 'normal people' do stupid loving poo poo in relation to food. All The Goddamn Time. If you aren't going to to try and correct them(and I admit I can be a dick/douche/rear end in a top hat/etc. about it) then you're part of the loving problem.

e2: I can be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat. It just kinda appends itself to you working in this industry, but I never, NEVER, intentionally poo poo on someone who loves food. I only ever want to make people better. Sorry if I come off as a condescending prick, but I only want people to succeed.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 8, 2015

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
No? That poster was correct, the interior of the meat is "sterile," the exterior is not. Surface bacterial content is the issue.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

contrapants posted:

I want to see the tree that grows apples, oranges, and watermelons.

Nothing so fancy. The previous owner called it that, but it only bore one kind of fruit that wasn't quite a plum, and wasn't quite a nectarine. I've heard about people splicing saplings together so I assumed that's what it was. Was going to give a picture but the little side garden is overrun with weeds after a month of daily thunderstorms.

E: literally one of these, but we only ever saw yellow flesh nectarines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-HV4vSznSU

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 7, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The pomegranates are fine, just not ripe yet. We had them growing up, and you could always tell they were ready when the entire fruit was getting to be red and almost leathery. Commercial production might keep them shaded a bit more, but the fruit takes a really long time to mature. Your patience will pay off, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Triskelli posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

That's the veggie and herb gardening thread. There's also some other DIY gardening / botany thread out there but I can no longer find the link. Might be worth a post in there as well if you don't find what you need here.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Thanks! I'll add a bookmark, but I think I've got what I needed for now.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I ain't even mad.

e: you know what, gently caress you. I am a chef. I worked hard to get where I am. I'm not making GBS threads on anyone, just having a little internal 'lol'. Maybe my YouTube thing is unfunny, I don't give a flying gently caress, I have fun doing it. And you know what, the more I do it, the better I'm going to get.

And just for your information, lots of 'normal people' do stupid loving poo poo in relation to food. All The Goddamn Time. If you aren't going to to try and correct them(and I admit I can be a dick/douche/rear end in a top hat/etc. about it) then you're part of the loving problem.

e2: I can be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat. It just kinda appends itself to you working in this industry, but I never, NEVER, intentionally poo poo on someone who loves food. I only ever want to make people better. Sorry if I come off as a condescending prick, but I only want people to succeed.

It's not that you're condescending, it's that you take every opportunity you can find to tell everyone that you're a Chefy Chef who does Chefy things and what its like to be a Chef. Oh and you work as a Chef for a living Chefing things at your restaurant.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I recently got a housemate as my finances have been a bit tight and having someone to share the rent sounded like a good idea. However this is the first time I've ever lived with someone that wasn't family or a girlfriend and it's my housemate's first time living away from home (she's in her early 20s).

So when she moved in I showed her the kitchen, told her there's a couple of knives I leave out (a chef's knife and a small serrated knife) that she's welcome to use when she's cooking. The first morning she was there I got up to find that she'd dug through my good knife drawer and decided to use a boning knife to cut up some fruit for her breakfast. After I :psyduck:'d a bit I told her that she probably didn't need to use a boning knife to cut fruit and that the two knives I leave out will cut absolutely anything she needs to cut.

The second morning I found that she'd dug through my knife drawer again and used my big gently caress-off carving knife to cut her fruit. This morning she used a bread knife :psyboom:

When I get home from work today I am putting my knifes away in a knife roll and buying some poo poo knives from Walmart or somewhere to leave out for her to destroy.

I don't think I'm going to like having a housemate :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just concentrate on the hundreds of dollars a month you're going to save

Edit: this might be one of those situations for keeping a pull through sharpener handy for your lovely knives

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

cyberia posted:

I recently got a housemate as my finances have been a bit tight and having someone to share the rent sounded like a good idea. However this is the first time I've ever lived with someone that wasn't family or a girlfriend and it's my housemate's first time living away from home (she's in her early 20s).

So when she moved in I showed her the kitchen, told her there's a couple of knives I leave out (a chef's knife and a small serrated knife) that she's welcome to use when she's cooking. The first morning she was there I got up to find that she'd dug through my good knife drawer and decided to use a boning knife to cut up some fruit for her breakfast. After I :psyduck:'d a bit I told her that she probably didn't need to use a boning knife to cut fruit and that the two knives I leave out will cut absolutely anything she needs to cut.

The second morning I found that she'd dug through my knife drawer again and used my big gently caress-off carving knife to cut her fruit. This morning she used a bread knife :psyboom:

When I get home from work today I am putting my knifes away in a knife roll and buying some poo poo knives from Walmart or somewhere to leave out for her to destroy.

People who don't cook like to use fancy knives for mundane purposes. You're probably best off buying a small steak knife and letting her use that, and putting the other knives off limit. Don't let roommates gently caress up your kitchen gear.

But really, a bread knife? What the hell?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cyberia posted:

Had roomates cut up a sandwich with this really thin blade chef knife I love. Not only did they cut it on a tile counter but also cut through the tin foil wrapper. Took forever to get that blade back in good shape.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Works posted:

Had roomates cut up a sandwich with this really thin blade chef knife I love. Not only did they cut it on a tile counter but also cut through the tin foil wrapper. Took forever to get that blade back in good shape.

:dogbutton:

I just restocked my kitchen stuff after having moved. I'm now having flashbacks to the glass cutting boards that they sell in cheap houseware departments.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That Works posted:

http://youtu.be/H5CSBZz3eOI

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Edut: I should probably eat breakfast before I post. I get chef hangry in the chef mornings...

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 8, 2015

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Who pissed in your cornflakes?

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 8, 2015

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

sweat poteto posted:

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

I'm guessing a chef.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Hello,
I am sitting in a cafe, and posting this - isn't internet a wondrous thing?

Tomorrow morning I am going to London, because someone wants to see me there - they told me yesterday. Aren't airplanes wondrous too?

I am working with guys from Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Dubai on a little project, and we've established that we want our headoffice in Karachi, while we want R&D in Denmark - isn't the world a wondrous place?

We're doing application development within an area that will hopefully make all Search and Selection moot, and which will ensure that people will feel happier with their work lives, we don't do this to make money (that is just a side benefit), but we do this to make sure that the overall happiness of the world will increase. Why? Because happy people do not have conflicts, and conflicts really sucks. Aren't people wondrous too?

Life is fun.

Your pal

Happy Hat

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

My ex girlfriend's mom tried to be helpful and soaked my carbon steel petty knife before running it through the dishwasher. After that she was never allowed to help in the kitchen again.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My mom is a great cook, but she treats her knives like poo poo. I don't get it, she leaves them in the sink, puts them through the dishwasher, etc etc. Basically just buys a new block of cheap knives every year or two, and can't understand why they don't last.

Happy Hat posted:

Tomorrow morning I am going to London, because someone wants to see me there - they told me yesterday. Aren't airplanes wondrous too?

I am working with guys from Amsterdam, Copenhagen and Dubai on a little project, and we've established that we want our headoffice in Karachi, while we want R&D in Denmark - isn't the world a wondrous place?

Jealous. My version of that is flying to Charlotte NC to work with people from NC, Delaware, Florida and Texas.

Doesn't really compare, does it?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
That doesn't compare at all.

I had some leftover celery sticks that weren't looking too great. They got all limp. I soaked them in water overnight and they're all crisp and firm again. Tasted great in the salad.

I usually hate celery but these were nice.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Squashy Nipples posted:

My mom is a great cook, but she treats her knives like poo poo. I don't get it, she leaves them in the sink, puts them through the dishwasher, etc etc. Basically just buys a new block of cheap knives every year or two, and can't understand why they don't last.

Jealous. My version of that is flying to Charlotte NC to work with people from NC, Delaware, Florida and Texas.

Doesn't really compare, does it?

To be fair, Texas and Delaware are *way* farther apart, physically, than Amsterdam and Copenhagen. It's easy to forget that a significant portion of Europe would fit inside the landmass of Texas.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

rj54x posted:

To be fair, Texas and Delaware are *way* farther apart, physically, than Amsterdam and Copenhagen. It's easy to forget that a significant portion of Europe would fit inside the landmass of Texas.
Edit: I made a fool of myself by not reading before posting

Edit: Also - distances are larger than they appear in europe..

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 8, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My ex girlfriend's mom tried to be helpful and soaked my carbon steel petty knife before running it through the dishwasher. After that she was never allowed to help in the kitchen again.

:smith:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

Edit: I made a fool of myself by not reading before posting

Edit: Also - distances are larger than they appear in europe..

Many of the European men I've met have made similar claims regarding certain things being larger than they appear, I had always assumed this was a compensatory claim, but perhaps there's some truth to it?

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

rj54x posted:

Many of the European men I've met have made similar claims regarding certain things being larger than they appear, I had always assumed this was a compensatory claim, but perhaps there's some truth to it?

There's actually a study on this...

Edit: also, why are European men insisting on showing you their penises?

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 8, 2015

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Force de Fappe posted:

Went and shot a cannon on Saturday. 180dB sure pack a wallop, including on clogged sinuses. I guess there's some irony to how the first thing I tasted in two weeks were freeze-dried combat rations. :bubblewoop:

grats

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

There's actually a study on this...

Edit: also, why are European men insisting on showing you their penises?

Making a claim regarding something, and showing something, are two different things. I was referring to boasts of the sort that any group of men might begin to make, after the better half of a bottle of scotch - who's been with the most / best looking / most morally dubious women, who trips over the immense girth of their own manhood most often, who can make the biggest tower out of toothpicks and cocktail napkins, that sort of thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
We had a party Friday night and as usual our friends jumped in and helped (drunkenly) with clean up and dishes. And as usual two of my knives ended up jammed in a drying rack with piles of dishes.

I don't even care because while I enjoy sharpening knives, I hate doing dishes so it is a fine trade. Also converting to Team Chinese Cleaver has made sharpening faster and easier. If the woman would let me I would sell all my old Global knives except for the cute little pairing knife.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

rj54x posted:

Making a claim regarding something, and showing something, are two different things. I was referring to boasts of the sort that any group of men might begin to make, after the better half of a bottle of scotch - who's been with the most / best looking / most morally dubious women, who trips over the immense girth of their own manhood most often, who can make the biggest tower out of toothpicks and cocktail napkins, that sort of thing.

What you're saying is that you've only had a lot of penis debate groups with Europeans? But how is it that you have established that they were boasting and not saying the truth then?

There must have been some sort of comparative reasoning going on, for you to establish that it was boasting?

It seems like you're awfully interested in European penises to discuss them so frivolously.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Happy Hat posted:

What you're saying is that you've only had a lot of penis debate groups with Europeans? But how is it that you have established that they were boasting and not saying the truth then?

There must have been some sort of comparative reasoning going on, for you to establish that it was boasting?

It seems like you're awfully interested in European penises to discuss them so frivolously.

One can be both telling the truth and boasting. If you said "I make a loving fantastic rack of ribs", you're boasting, regardless of whether that statement is true or not.

That said, "International Penis Debate Group" would make an enthralling reality show, and one I fully expect to see on TLC before the year is out.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Are the portions of coq au vin in Europe actually bigger, or do they just look that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Ah man I made green chili sauce with he peppers and it is loving perfect. It's exactly at the point of "as hot as I can stand to continuously eat" and has an amazing depth of flavor. Now I just need to eat six cups of it in the next day or so.