Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mediadave posted:

Interesting, I didn't know any Iranians in the UK called themselves Persians, I thought that was an American thing. Were they monarchists?
They were against a lot of the things in post-revolutionary Iran and preferred not to associate themselves with the Islamic Republic, but I don't know what their views on monarchy were.
Also this, although I didn't chat about the differences and they weren't serving food:

Kokoro Wish posted:

No no, they were actual Persians, as in a subset of the Iranian population that speak a completely different language. Chatting with them about the differences was pretty great, and they served great food.

Acaila posted:

Referencing Star Trek and Only Connect in the midst of political debate makes me love you guys :allears:
On the question that's more important than Monster Munch though, The Chase is indeed way better than Eggheads but Pointless rules all.
Pointless is good.

e: 1926 - Rezā Khan was crowned Shah of Persia under the name "Pahlevi". The UK has a general strike.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
No. Pointless bad.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
I'm married to an Iranian.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mediadave posted:

I'm married to an Iranian.

Do you want a medal?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So I've still not got my voting letter. Am I too late now, or am I secret communist? UKMT decides.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

No. Pointless bad.
The first rounds are good. I'm not sold on the final one.

Fans posted:

So I've still not got my voting letter. Am I too late now, or am I secret communist? UKMT decides.
Contact them through http://www.labour.org.uk/contact or call 0845 092 22 99.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Fans posted:

Also, check your spam folders and filtermajigs and whatnot; the polling letter is an email.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Do you want a medal?

tu ra doost daram

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

All is despair, so all I want from UKMT is more deets about Are Mad Queen

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Sent 'em an email. Will esculate to "Strongly worded" if they don't get back to me before the end of tomorrow.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

There's also this now:

http://www.labour.org.uk/page/content/reissues-closed/

quote:

Ballot re-issues

Tomorrow (Tuesday 8 September) we will be sending out a final reminder email to all people who have not voted containing your code to vote in the Labour leadership elections.

This will be sent to everyone who hasn't voted yet.

The email will be sent from labourelections@electoralreform.co.uk (you may want to search your emails now to see if you have already received your ballot).

Please add this address to your contacts to ensure that the email gets through your spam filter.

We can no longer change the email address we are sending your ballot to.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Pointless and Only Connect were better when they were on BBC 2 and BBC 4 respectively.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Yeah, I feel like Only Connect has lost some of it's "filmed in a post-apocalyptic bunker" vibe since the move.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
15-1 with Sandi Toksvig :colbert:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Oh no, it's still very white, but it has more actual mixing of cultures than any place I've ever lived. Hell it's the first place I've met honest to god Persians.

There's 3 separate Persian communities in London alone - one in the north, one in the centre, and one in the south-west.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

XMNN posted:

"filmed in a post-apocalyptic bunker"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l28o6fJda1c

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

There's loads of casual racism in the UK. White people are rly racist.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I got a letter in the post and an email. Voted online but labour are still emailing me saying I haven't voted yet. Wut?

Also looks like labour want a Brexit lol

Man I wonder how hosed all EU residents in the UK will be once we leave. I'd assume all those who had gotten in before Brexit will be ok?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

awesome-express posted:

Man I wonder how hosed all EU residents in the UK will be once we leave. I'd assume all those who had gotten in before Brexit will be ok?

Pretty sure we'll be deporting them to Syria too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

awesome-express posted:

I got a letter in the post and an email. Voted online but labour are still emailing me saying I haven't voted yet. Wut?

Also looks like labour want a Brexit lol

There was a Grauniad piece where EU residents have started applying for the most lenient non-EU-free-movement licences they can in preparation for an exit.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It would be quite something that after all this hubbub corbyn ends up losing the race to cooper. Considering how bad things always get it wouldn't be surprised if fate fucks with peoples hopes the way it always does.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Current thread sweepstakes expect Kendall to get 105% of the vote.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
Pointless is good but Alexander Armstrong is history's greatest monster.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pantsuit posted:

There's loads of casual racism in the UK. White people are rly racist.

I fuckin hate casuals as well, they need to git gud.

e; been in hospital most of the last week with cluster headaches*. Again affirms my belief that the NHS is Cool & Good and most of the problems I saw seemed to stem from being shorthanded, so obviously the solution is not to hire more nurses and doctors and support the immigrants who keep it running**, but sell it off and tell johnny foreigner to gently caress off back home.

* Under no circumstances develop cluster headaches. They pumped a litre of paracetamol in by IV and when the nurse was coming to remove the bag I looked up and said "Oh thank Christ, painkillers", I felt nothing at all from a direct line of painkillers into my veins. Huge doses of tetracycline, codeine, and morphine are needed; sadly one of the problems with aforementioned shortages is that nurses were often not able to give my meds right when I was due and hospitals aren't great for sleeping, so I had a couple of really bad days. Nonetheless, with the exception of one really nasty nurse, I can't fault any member of staff, most of them were run off their feet and I saw a student nurse doing way more than she was meant to because it needed to be done. No complaints, run off her feet for about 12 hours, definitely not getting paid what she deserved. Tried to thank her special, she made a big difference to me at least. Christ, the old bloke in the next bed had oesephogal cancer, couldn't eat and could barely drink, and even the dinner ladies went well out of their way to find or make things he could swallow. 98% of what I saw was, just like last time I was in hospital a couple of years ago, incredibly hardworking people who were ridiculously dedicated to their jobs.

** Healthcare worker nationalities I encountered include Ukrainian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Kenyan, South African, Indian, Pakistani, German, Irish, Filipino, and several Middle Eastern states I didn't have the wherewithal to place. Oh I think there was a Yank as well, might have been a Canadian or an Oz/Kiwi, wasn't really with it enough to pin it down. This is not, for the record, counting people of foreign ancestry, only people who by their accents could be identified as immigrants themselves (Or I suppose dual-nationality).

Basically at least in my neck of the woods, it's not like it would be a painful readjustment or even a slow collapse, the NHS would implode in the space of about 12 hours without immigrants keeping it running, assuming a day with minimal conditions for people to hurt themselves.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 8, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Maybe you should move to East Kent, so that next time you feel the need to burden the NHS with your trifling problems, they can ship you off to France for treatment instead.

I don't watch the news much these days, but I'm assuming this story was ignored?

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

StoneOfShame posted:

It's all about Richard Osman.

Also how can anyone prefer the new 15 to 1 over the original?! All about William G Stewart.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Al-Saqr posted:

It would be quite something that after all this hubbub corbyn ends up losing the race to cooper. Considering how bad things always get it wouldn't be surprised if fate fucks with peoples hopes the way it always does.

I'm not saying I'm psychic, just inferring it, but I've got a weird feeling of dread about this whole thing, and the last time that happened was the GE. So I'm expecting the worst

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

StoneOfShame posted:

Pointless is entirely based on one lame joke about how awful that kind of gameshow is (it's pointless! lollll:suicide:), then drags it out across a full half hour slot when there's really only enough material for maybe ten minutes.

It's a nice idea for a game, basically a reversal of the central family fortunes bit (and an actual reversal at that rather than some idiotic poo poo like Jeopardy), but the entire character of the show is Armstrong winking at the camera to check if you've gotten the joke yet.

It's no Numberwang I'll tell you what.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

e; been in hospital most of the last week with cluster headaches*. Again affirms my belief that the NHS is Cool & Good and most of the problems I saw seemed to stem from being shorthanded, so obviously the solution is not to hire more nurses and doctors and support the immigrants who keep it running**, but sell it off and tell johnny foreigner to gently caress off back home.

* Under no circumstances develop cluster headaches. They pumped a litre of paracetamol in by IV and when the nurse was coming to remove the bag I looked up and said "Oh thank Christ, painkillers", I felt nothing at all from a direct line of painkillers into my veins. Huge doses of tetracycline, codeine, and morphine are needed; sadly one of the problems with aforementioned shortages is that nurses were often not able to give my meds right when I was due and hospitals aren't great for sleeping, so I had a couple of really bad days. Nonetheless, with the exception of one really nasty nurse, I can't fault any member of staff, most of them were run off their feet and I saw a student nurse doing way more than she was meant to because it needed to be done. No complaints, run off her feet for about 12 hours, definitely not getting paid what she deserved. Tried to thank her special, she made a big difference to me at least. Christ, the old bloke in the next bed had oesephogal cancer, couldn't eat and could barely drink, and even the dinner ladies went well out of their way to find or make things he could swallow. 98% of what I saw was, just like last time I was in hospital a couple of years ago, incredibly hardworking people who were ridiculously dedicated to their jobs.

** Healthcare worker nationalities I encountered include Ukrainian, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese, Kenyan, South African, Indian, Pakistani, German, Irish, Filipino, and several Middle Eastern states I didn't have the wherewithal to place. Oh I think there was a Yank as well, might have been a Canadian or an Oz/Kiwi, wasn't really with it enough to pin it down. This is not, for the record, counting people of foreign ancestry, only people who by their accents could be identified as immigrants themselves (Or I suppose dual-nationality).

Basically at least in my neck of the woods, it's not like it would be a painful readjustment or even a slow collapse, the NHS would implode in the space of about 12 hours without immigrants keeping it running, assuming a day with minimal conditions for people to hurt themselves.

Out of interest does oxygen work for you? You can apparently get approval to keep an oxygen cylinder at home to self treat cluster headaches now. Also don't be afraid to ask the doctors to prescribe you something to help you sleep while youre in hospital, we do it all the time since pretty much everyone has their sleep ruined.

Oh yeah, and I agree with everything you said. All the problems with the NHS come down to it being underfunded and mismanaged, and its basically a huge con that the people in charge of running it also have a vested interest in making it seem badly run.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Barry Foster posted:

I'm not saying I'm psychic, just inferring it, but I've got a weird feeling of dread about this whole thing, and the last time that happened was the GE. So I'm expecting the worst

Yeah, I've got the same feeling. Triangulatory Cooper who can't comment on anything will get it, and the Blairites will raise their bloodied mouths to the sky to howl in favour of the sensible party of government.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

awesome-express posted:

I think if you read the email again you'll find it says "Please remember that if you haven't voted..."

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Labour have finally expelled a tory from the party

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Al-Saqr posted:

It would be pretty terrible if the 50% number doesn't move much. This is one of the more pivotal moments in Labour's history and if their members are so apathetic that they can't even turn up for this election, it will be pretty damning and must hurt the party's credibility.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

That 50% is from a week ago though.

I don't think Jeremy will win tbh, I think Cooper or Burnham will scrape through with 51% after everyone else is eliminated, declare themselves the unity candidate and then go back to ignoring the left entirely, Blair will write a piece saying that leftists now must do as democracy says and fall in line, some lefties will stay in the party and try to make a difference but the rest will believe the whole thing was rigged (either underhandedly via purging or just as a result of disgustingly biased media) and leave or stick around and just stop bothering to be involved

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

Phoon posted:

Blair will write a piece saying that leftists now must do as democracy says and fall in line

To be fair, a lot of you were coming out with the exact same line when the prospect of Blairite rebels was raised when Corbyn started leading in the polls - so if Cooper or Burnham do win you can't complain about stuff like this.

kapparomeo fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 8, 2015

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Diane Abbot didn't enjoy the Panorama special.

@HackneyAbbott: Panorama on Corbyn a hatchet job. I did long interview. None used. Didn't fit their preconceived narrative. http://t.co/9HV6zWwufz

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 8, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Have you been prescribed ergotamine for it before?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

kapparomeo posted:

To be fair, a lot of you were coming out with the exact same line when the prospect of Blairite rebels was raised when Corbyn started leading in the polls - so if Cooper or Burnham do win you can't complain about stuff like this.

Yes we can you dork.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Seeing as we were talking about Peter Hitchens on Sunday (yeah, throwing it back 8 pages), I saw that Owen Jones interviewed him on his Youtube. It's about as bizarre as you'd expect, a proper chance for him to go into his world view, like being convinced that Blairism was a strain of Eurocommunism, and one that has now infected the Tories. I did enjoy when he mentioned he can't feel hatred towards David Cameron personally because it would be "like feeling passion against a blancmange".

He's odd. But I find that level of just pure social conservative, paternalistic, reactionary absolutely fascinating on some level. At least he seems to have no hope of his world view ever gaining traction again I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

forkboy84 posted:

Seeing as we were talking about Peter Hitchens on Sunday (yeah, throwing it back 8 pages), I saw that Owen Jones interviewed him on his Youtube. It's about as bizarre as you'd expect, a proper chance for him to go into his world view, like being convinced that Blairism was a strain of Eurocommunism, and one that has now infected the Tories. I did enjoy when he mentioned he can't feel hatred towards David Cameron personally because it would be "like feeling passion against a blancmange".

He's odd. But I find that level of just pure social conservative, paternalistic, reactionary absolutely fascinating on some level. At least he seems to have no hope of his world view ever gaining traction again I guess?

:catstare: The Tories are just like the SWP.

• Locked thread