Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

eh, it's better than nothing. Remember to buy an "airplane-to-standard" converter for your Tablet/Laptop charger before you board. Or buy one from your standard vendor I guess.

I'm carrying an iPad Air, a Latitude E6430 with d-bay battery, my iPhone loaded with podcasts and my Zune HD (gently caress yeah), so I'm ready to zombietrance out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

A trip to Manila came in, to tighten up the L1 techs. If I survive the 22hr plane ride, I'll send the rest of you a thought from the bar.

Better take some days off on Boracay afterwards to recover.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Crowley posted:

eh, it's better than nothing. Remember to buy an "airplane-to-standard" converter for your Tablet/Laptop charger before you board. Or buy one from your standard vendor I guess.

TICKET TALK:
We use Dell Latitude E5440 for our students, and that's been discontinued. Experience shows that the Dells have had a somewhat large amount of repairs to the LCD-panels, while the ~800 iPads we're using for the smaller kids are almost entirely free from damage, in part due to the bumper case we're using but also because the screen is a lot stronger than your default laptop panel. Now we're looking at something with an equally strong screen and at a decent price, so I was wondering if any of you lot have any real-life experience with the Microsoft Surface 3 you'd be willing to share? Not the PRO-version, but the Atom-powered, eh.. non PRO. The PRO is too expensive to fit into our budget, but if the non-pro's CPU is decent for school use it could very well be a strong contender for the next purchase.

We tried a few things with smaller screens (laptops and tablets, not the surface specifically) and found them a bit wanting. The form factors are nice and portable, but the apps the kids need to use struggle at small sizes. We put a minimum on about 13" for screen size for general purpose computing devices.

Are the screens breaking because of objects on the keyboard when closing, the students closing from the bottom and twisting, or the students carrying them open by the top of the screen? not much you can do about the first, but I know some vendors did a lot of work on their education models to help with the second and third. Different bag designs can also help, such as a semi-rigid clamshell with cable access at the back. laptop never needs to come out of it.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

evobatman posted:

Zune HD (gently caress yeah)
Nice to meet the other person who bought a Zune HD!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
FTP is dead. AWS has been approved for client submissions. Full-scale cloud archiving was denied, since this archiving system that they've been dangling in front of me for two years is apparently being rolled out in November, but it's also a shared cloud by all of our stations? I don't even know, no one tells me anything.

Asked GM if he had put any thought into what we talked about. His answer was no, since he had been on vacation for three days.

It's been over a week, motherfucker.

Oh, well. I'm having fun coming up with a file submission page that ties into our buckets.

I can't believe it's been two years since I've done any actual coding. :feelsgood:

evobatman posted:

Zune HD (gently caress yeah)

:hfive:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 8, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Well I'll be damned!

KennyTheFish posted:

We tried a few things with smaller screens (laptops and tablets, not the surface specifically) and found them a bit wanting. The form factors are nice and portable, but the apps the kids need to use struggle at small sizes. We put a minimum on about 13" for screen size for general purpose computing devices.

Good points. We considered the Latitude 7240 but the teachers wanted something with a bigger screen. Now they're the ones asking for a smaller machine.

[quote="KennyTheFish" post="449931156"]Are the screens breaking because of objects on the keyboard when closing, the students closing from the bottom and twisting, or the students carrying them open by the top of the screen? not much you can do about the first, but I know some vendors did a lot of work on their education models to help with the second and third. Different bag designs can also help, such as a semi-rigid clamshell with cable access at the back. laptop never needs to come out of it.

Most of them are because of drops, and roughly half of those drops are when the machine is in their backpack and they drop the backpack and 10 pounds of books press the display into the nipple/clit/trackpoint mouse. Whatever we're getting next will definitely be nipple-less.

Crowley fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 8, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Should maybe get laptop cases for students too. Just a simple fabric job that helps protect against shock. I can't imagine it costing more than $20 per.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
~Curtain up~

*Phone rings*
"Can you take a look at this email, I'm trying to print the file but it just won't print and I've tried everything"
"Is it an attachment or a link?
"Well, I don't know. It just won't let me print it"
"Is it attached to the email or is a link in the email?"
"I don't know! I've tried everything and it won't print!"
"Who sent it to you?"
"I'm not sure. They've never sent me anything like this before."
"So you're telling me you you don't know what you're trying to open, nor where it came from, and you want to open it and print whatever it is?
"Yes!"
"Haha, no"
*click*

~Fin~

E: :siren: Supervisor is cleaning the shop as I write this. I am stoically ignoring his smarmy comments and it feels SO GOOD.

I'm working diligently to get this AWS deal set up and ready to roll out so I can watch the poo poo fit he throws when he discovers he was never notified of the project. I can't wait to say "Welcome to the club" and continue coming up with more projects and proposals.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 8, 2015

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

larchesdanrew posted:

"Who sent it to you?"
"I'm not sure. They've never sent me anything like this before."
"So you're telling me you you don't know what you're trying to open, nor where it came from, and you want to open it and print whatever it is?
"Yes!"

Enjoy your cryptowall

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Going by Microsoft's terminology, he's actually not too far off.

Print Devices are the physical hardware machines full of ink and paper.

Printers are software interfaces between the document and the print device.

This is significant because you can have multiple printers installed for one print device, each with different settings and permissions (Everyone can print black and white during business hours, only graphics department can print in color, Sysadmins get highest print queue priority.)

You can also have one printer for multiple print devices in a pool!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Download is the new install. I need you to download Microsoft onto my computer. An actual voice message from my mom.

To most people if they don't know the right word you download it, or it's a hard drive. People have forgotten what install is.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Larchesdanrew you should totally try and run a get-aduser -identity blahblah -properties passwordlastset and then shove it in front of your bosses face. You could also take it to your GM as proof that your boss purposefully kept this employee from being productive because he refused to fix his mistake.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Just came across a Windows 7 computer that was installed in February 2013. Most recent check for updates? Never.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Larchesdanrew you should totally try and run a get-aduser -identity blahblah -properties passwordlastset and then shove it in front of your bosses face. You could also take it to your GM as proof that your boss purposefully kept this employee from being productive because he refused to fix his mistake.

I don't think he has the correct domain functional level for that commandlet.

Edit:

Maybe try viewing the object with ADSIEdit

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 8, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

pixaal posted:

Download is the new install. I need you to download Microsoft onto my computer. An actual voice message from my mom.

To most people if they don't know the right word you download it, or it's a hard drive. People have forgotten what install is.

their entire advertising campaign revolves around an old person who doesn't understand the meaning of words like "emoji" and "memes"

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

an old person who doesn't understand the meaning of words like "emoji"

I know what emoji is, but I'll be damned if I know where it came from. Wasn't it emoticon forever? Why did it change? Why do kids listen to such lovely music? I remember when things were good and now they're all bad. :bahgawd:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
From Japan, like all good things do. 絵文字 E-mo-ji. Picture characters.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I think emoji is used because its a picture now

its the difference between this (__)_)===D~~ and this :gizz:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

I know what emoji is, but I'll be damned if I know where it came from. Wasn't it emoticon forever? Why did it change? Why do kids listen to such lovely music? I remember when things were good and now they're all bad. :bahgawd:

"Emoji" loosely means "pictograph" in Japanese, it comes from a standard that originated on Japanese mobile phones but ended up getting adopted by all modern phones after it was folded into the Unicode standard.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I don't think he has the correct domain functional level for that commandlet.

Edit:

Maybe try viewing the object with ADSIEdit

Or see if the idiot boss like physically walks over to a machine to do his Exchange or AD work. It would not surprise me if does and leaves the screen up. So larches you aren't allowed to touch AD at all? Your boss %100 handles making user accounts? There's got to be a service account or something you can use.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Emoji are actually wingdings. :eng101:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Or see if the idiot boss like physically walks over to a machine to do his Exchange or AD work. It would not surprise me if does and leaves the screen up. So larches you aren't allowed to touch AD at all? Your boss %100 handles making user accounts? There's got to be a service account or something you can use.

Hahaha, we're still on Server NT for our domain controller. It's some KVM monstrosity in his office. I'm not allowed to go near it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

The Office 365 audit logs are so loving good for being able to export and wave in the face of people who claim "it stopped working all by itself".

We had a client who insisted on having admin access to the tenant that we administered for them, then put a ticket in one day saying that nobody could log in and emails were being bounced and how we needed to assist urgently. Logs showed her account changing the UPN for pretty much every user instead of adding an alias like they wanted.

I'm still convinced that waving logs in someones face is what got me laid off from my cushy government contracting job. I've always done logging as in depth as specs allow for, because it lets me know where I hosed up. Especially on brand new systems supporting new products etc etc. So anyways I had done the setup for this government infoportal (I'm being vague here on purpose) and setup verbose logging/audit logging/tracking etc. Everything was fine. As usual when a system doesn't require my attention: I stay off of it. Hadn't logged into this server for over two weeks. The website for the portal mysteriously goes down and the government employee promptly loses his poo poo in my cubical, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY PORTAL". So I log into the drat thing and while he's staring over my shoulder I note that the IIS settings were not as I left them at setup, someones been fiddlin' with them. So I revert the changes and say "It's all fixed now." I was going to leave it at that and not look into who did what, because that's not the way to make friends.

He then tells me he's going to report me for loving up the portal. Fine, game on. I start pulling logs and point out to him that the only person that had made IIS edits since the system went live was him, and coincidentally the last edit he made happened at the same time the portal went down. Oh and I haven't even logged into the system in two weeks. Two weeks later I'm out with a months severance, on my way out the door I fire the logs off to our whistleblower e-mail address, followed up by a suggestion that they look into this guy because a lot of contractors have been laid off to be replaced by his college buddies which is illegal as hell. Two months later and he's been canned, which if you know anything about government employment means you hosed up BAD.

So yeah I basically caught him out doing the same poo poo to me that he had done to others.

I was offered a position back working as a contractor again in the same facility but honestly gently caress that noise.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

Hahaha, we're still on Server NT for our domain controller. It's some KVM monstrosity in his office. I'm not allowed to go near it.

:suicide:

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

How do you get anything done without a domain admin account?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhymenoserous posted:

How do you get anything done without a domain admin account?

I think someone needs to sneak in and remove a cap from the NT pc. Only way they'll get upgraded.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm still convinced that waving logs in someones face is what got me laid off from my cushy government contracting job.
So yeah I basically caught him out doing the same poo poo to me that he had done to others.

I was offered a position back working as a contractor again in the same facility but honestly gently caress that noise.

drat, were there even meetings to discuss the logs and show what happened? Or was it basically you're a contractor we dont want you anymore here is the door.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

drat, were there even meetings to discuss the logs and show what happened? Or was it basically you're a contractor we dont want you anymore here is the door.

Surplus to requirements. The whole IT team got laid off, I was just the first to go. All of us set to be replaced by his college buddies till I nipped that poo poo in the bud. That's the ugly side of government contracting though. You exist because the government needs technical people, and government employees are too hard to get rid of. This creates an issue when you have horribly corrupt government employees treating the contractors they supervise as a personal fife however. The whole system is broken and unwieldy as gently caress.

I remember one of my SQL servers was pegging CPU and virtual memory was ballooning which if you know anything about about SQL either means you have some really lovely software running atop of SQL, OR you need more memory. And more memory can solve for the first issue much easier than you getting a vendor to unfuck their poo poo is likely to happen.

So my response: Lets get more memory for the server.

This should take us about a week to solve. Six months later I finally got my memory, because 18 different government employees had to justify their jobs by sticking their nose into it. Several different IT teams had poked their nose into the problem. And we had ordered a SQL RAP from Microsoft.

The Microsoft guys response after hitting up our stuff: "You need more memory".

All said and done we probably wasted a good $300k in man hours/contracting time et all on a $2000 problem. gently caress government IT, never again.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

nitrogen posted:

You seriously need to come hang with us in IRC at #BOFH on synirc.net.

How did I not know this was a thing? I will get my rear end in there.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

#sysadmin on synirc is good too.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Manager won't give me the login for the admin account. He gave it to me once after I pestered him for two weeks, the he changed the password the next day. He denies this, but can't explain why I can't log into the account.

Time to go above this cocksucker's head to the GM that's on your side - a simple "hey, I need to troubleshoot emails and <dickface CE> won't provide the admin account for me to do my job"

Bonus points if you can include something about redundancy, e.g. "CE is a single point of failure, if he gets sick/injured I don't have all the tools and resources I need and he refuses to provide them, fix this situation or I walk"

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

'net user /domain <username>' from a workstation command line.

I believe that command will still work with an NT Domain and can tell you the last time a password was reset.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Ozz81 posted:

Time to go above this cocksucker's head to the GM that's on your side - a simple "hey, I need to troubleshoot emails and <dickface CE> won't provide the admin account for me to do my job"

Bonus points if you can include something about redundancy, e.g. "CE is a single point of failure, if he gets sick/injured I don't have all the tools and resources I need and he refuses to provide them, fix this situation or I walk"

Trust me. I'm waiting to see what he says about my meeting with him the other day. If it doesn't go my way, I've got a laundry list of "this poo poo changes now or I'm out."

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Filthy Lucre posted:

'net user /domain <username>' from a workstation command line.

I believe that command will still work with an NT Domain and can tell you the last time a password was reset.

Well, all this password changing took place on our email, which is hosted by rackspace. It's all web based.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rackspace could no doubt pull the logs for you though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crowley posted:

TICKET TALK:
We use Dell Latitude E5440 for our students, and that's been discontinued. Experience shows that the Dells have had a somewhat large amount of repairs to the LCD-panels, while the ~800 iPads we're using for the smaller kids are almost entirely free from damage, in part due to the bumper case we're using but also because the screen is a lot stronger than your default laptop panel. Now we're looking at something with an equally strong screen and at a decent price, so I was wondering if any of you lot have any real-life experience with the Microsoft Surface 3 you'd be willing to share? Not the PRO-version, but the Atom-powered, eh.. non PRO. The PRO is too expensive to fit into our budget, but if the non-pro's CPU is decent for school use it could very well be a strong contender for the next purchase.

Standard ones aren't too bad overall, MS has improved on them quite a bit. About the only thing you'll need to worry about is storage and memory depending on what's being used/saved, and if you go the Surface route, get the flip keyboard/cover with it that doubles as a screen protector. I've got a client that's a school district and they have a mix of iPad and Surface devices, they like both but definitely prefer the Surface due to more storage space, memory, CPU options and pricing overall - the Surface models can be anywhere from $150-300 cheaper than the iPad for similar/near identical features.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What Rhymenoserous said. As a contractor the government doesn't want to have us, but in the immortal words of the MSgt of my unit "we have you guys so that everything actually works." It's a very interesting paradox - my unit has one officer and one enlisted person and the rest of us are contractors. Our datacenter and infrastructure are some of the most reliable systems available. Our parent unit has very few contractors but a ton of government employees and military personnel and are constantly calling us to fix the poo poo they broke. But they want to get rid of us in the worst way...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I hate using TeamViewer to help this client.

• Locked thread