Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

We have seen Zoro lose since the time skip, though. He got knocked out by a surprise attack from the Yeti Cool Brothers' gas and knocked away by Fujitora. What he hasn't really had is a close fight. He did need Elizabello's help to avoid hurting civilians in the process of taking out Pica, if that counts for anything.

I don't think those count as losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Yeti-cool brothers were losers who somehow knocked out all the strawhats (through sleep gas or something maybe?) then did nothing interesting or important for the rest of the arc. They were hella lame, and their actions should be ignored.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kild posted:

I don't think those count as losses.

The Yeti Cool Brothers are a stretch, but I'd say Fujitora counts as a decisive loss. It made it clear to me that Zoro has absolutely no chance against Admirals at this point.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Getting knocked away is not a loss and I don't know how you can justify it as that when they never really had a fight at all.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
can we make it an official rule that if one piece is on break for the week the thread gets locked

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Ryaomon posted:

can we make it an official rule that if one piece is on break for the week the thread gets locked

no thats the best time to read the thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ryaomon posted:

sorry I have problems with a series I like? I dunno what you want dude.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

This Zoro fight was more than one hit I think. I mean one hit to the actual body, but multiple hits to the stone giant.

Clearly Zoro was racking up hits so that he could increase his combo counter so that Pica would be easier to take down.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fujitora gets knocked away by luffy in just this recent chapter... But Luffy also gets knocked away by Fujitora.. So I guess they both lost.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Clearly Zoro was racking up hits so that he could increase his combo counter so that Pica would be easier to take down.

Sometimes, you gotta be inefficient if you wanna 100% your Legend.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Re: Zoro talk

Are you guys kidding me? You want Nami to have real fights and you want Zoro to struggle? What have you been reading? Have you all just been steaming since the loving Buggy arc?

Zoro's entire character is that he doesn't have any difficulty with these worms when he isn't handicapped somehow. He literally always has a huge disadvantage that stops him from performing at his highest potential and once that's lifted he ends the fight immediately. You want LONGER Zoro fights? Please, god no, this Pica poo poo was awful. Something like ten chapters chasing some stupid psuedo-logia around (gently caress you that octopus attack was logia-ish or at least Pica's true form wasn't there, it was a weird fight) is not what I want from Zoro.

Every single one of his other fights has been a complete stomp. And if anybody says Kaku I swear to god (he had the famous handicap of being cuffed to Usopp, once he lost that, he toyed with Kaku for a bit before revealing a technique he had known all along that oneshot him, poo poo wasn't even close). The closest Zoro probably ever came to losing, except for Mihawk of course, was maybe Daz Bones.

And Fujitora knocked him away because his goddamn sword is overpowered as gently caress. He literally opened up the Earth and threw Zoro into it. Zoro then immediately counterattacked and Fuji even remarked on the power of it. That poo poo was far from over. They didn't have a reason to continue but using that as an example of why Zoro isn't ready for admirals is a mistake in my book. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the Monster Trio solo an admiral at this point. They're just not the strongest force in the series like they used to be. The crew is gonna be taking on Yonkou and Blackbeard members and the loving Fleet Admiral at some point.

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

Okay, but why can't Nami have real fights?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Oda doesn't want to draw his wife getting beaten up.

Incidentally, every other attractive girl in One Piece looks like Oda's wife, so...

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Advice posted:

Re: Zoro talk

Are you guys kidding me? You want Nami to have real fights and you want Zoro to struggle? What have you been reading? Have you all just been steaming since the loving Buggy arc?

Zoro's entire character is that he doesn't have any difficulty with these worms when he isn't handicapped somehow. He literally always has a huge disadvantage that stops him from performing at his highest potential and once that's lifted he ends the fight immediately. You want LONGER Zoro fights? Please, god no, this Pica poo poo was awful. Something like ten chapters chasing some stupid psuedo-logia around (gently caress you that octopus attack was logia-ish or at least Pica's true form wasn't there, it was a weird fight) is not what I want from Zoro.

I don't want longer Zoro fights, I want ones where he is compelled and has difficulty. That makes it a good "fight" rather than just a set piece for Zoro to cut some mountain to rubble. You bring up Kaku as a fight he easily won once he tried but Zoro was outmanoeuvred multiple times in that fight. Not just from the Sogeking thing, even after being freed he was honestly coming up short until he got desperate enough to bust out Asura.

Also, I don't care if Zoro needs to be at a disadvantage to give him a challenging match, then just give him a disadvantage. You could argue he was at a disadvantage against Ryuuma, Mr 1, or Kaku, but that doesn't change that they were good fights. I'd like to see more of that, cause he hasn't had a real fight since the timeskip just a bunch of set-pieces to show he's one tough motherfucker. And hell, they were cool, I enjoyed most of those moments. But I think i'd enjoy a good fight more.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Do you think Zolo has a hairy butt or is it smooth?

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I will agree that the fight with Ryuuma (only had two swords) versus the fight against , say, Hachi (had grievous wounds) was much better thematically and made for a more interesting watch/read. I'm just trying to be a smartass, I guess, by pointing out that we don't really know what a fight where Zoro is legit challenged will look like. And I can't imagine him struggling much against anyone now that he's been trained by the greatest swordsman on the planet. If he doesn't go the classic route, Oda's gonna have trouble explaining why a guy who was locked in a cell underwater with nobody to fight for years was able to hone his skills enough to be on Zoro's level.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
If Thousand Beast Kaido is suicidal, why doesn't he just eat two devil fruits?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why do you think they call him thousand beast kaido :v:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah

Rigged Death Trap posted:

*onepiece_chap_1_USSR_edition.png*

Does anyone have a link to this? I can't find it anywhere.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
does the zoro conversation count as power levels

I need this bingo

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blockhouse posted:

does the zoro conversation count as power levels

I need this bingo
When two men really want to swordfight each other, first they stare at each other intently to measure their opponent, then they pass through each other so quickly as to be invisible to the naked eye, after which they both fall to the ground covered in bodily fluids and the winner is the person with fewer ruptured organs.

Power levels at their purest.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oen Pice, is very good, because it make you think.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Space-Bird posted:

He made it rain metal shards and her back got all cut up doing that big tree dandelion thing, basically shielding Kyros so he could go hit Diamante with a sword...

It's pretty poo poo that what should have been really impressive was so boring due to pacing.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

What he's saying is that he wants a badass punchlady in the vein of punchmans like Jinbei or even Luffy who will use armament haki to hit other mans in the face

You mean Boa?

EDIT: gently caress my thread reading abilities

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

It's pretty poo poo that what should have been really impressive was so boring due to pacing.
It seems kinda tame in comparison to the time Robin literally grew a pair of hand-wings and flew away

Like there are so many cool things Robin could do with her fruit, especially now that she can do that shadow-clone stuff, but Oda never really explores it

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Who the hell uses 3x3 for a loving bingo card? man up to 5x5

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it doesn't even include haki

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cat Machine posted:

It seems kinda tame in comparison to the time Robin literally grew a pair of hand-wings and flew away

Like there are so many cool things Robin could do with her fruit, especially now that she can do that shadow-clone stuff, but Oda never really explores it

Robin is in a place where if she uses her fruit to it's full extent she'll never break a sweat and just stay on board the Sunny drinking coffee and reading a book while wrecking whoever is causing problems for the Strawhats on this island.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Nami punches Luffy with Haki all the time. I just want it to escape the realm of bad comedy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Do you think Zolo has a hairy butt or is it smooth?

Do sword skills carry over to a straight razor? If so, I'm positive it is smooth as hell

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Do sword skills carry over to a straight razor? If so, I'm positive it is smooth as hell

Luckily, in our world even the common man can experience that Santoryu smoothness thanks to the Gillette Mach 3 three blade razor

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
zoro is stronger than luffy

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ryaomon posted:

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

You forgot "haki: magic or willpower?" and "inane theory about blackbeard eating two devil fruits"

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

blackbeard ate three devil fruits, thanks. he originally ate a Mythical Zoan: Cerberus, and then one head ate the yami yami and the other ate the gura gura

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Mraagvpeine posted:

Dude really wanted his SSS rank

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

zoro really should have fought diamante, the guy who used a sword

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Jose posted:

zoro really should have fought diamante, the guy who used a sword

Pica had a bigger sword and was funny in his seriousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

did he ever even use his sword? i have very little memory of dressrosa that idk if its because it dragged out forever or because i've reread most of the rest

• Locked thread