Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Competition is a valuable experience. My old coach used to say you learn more from one competition than you do from a month of training.

Also, it can be a lot of fun! And stress. But fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

e. for actual content - is it a good experience to do it once or twice when you're trying to learn? The $80 is inconsequential to me right now, and easily fits within my "entertainment" budget.
Yeah, competition when starting out is great on a lot of levels. Meet some cool new people and get some different looks, experience the butterflies, etc

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

About 10 years back I trained Kung Fu for a few years but we hardly ever sparred which looks like the most intense way of learning to me, so I went looking for a sport that rolls every lesson.

So I decided to follow the advice from the OP and just do it. I signed up for a starters class Jiu Jitsu (japanese, not brazilian) to see if I like it.

The JJ school I signed up at is doing an entry class for 10 lessons for 50 bucks for atarters over 25, which is perfect for me I guess. I'm horribly out of shape and have the worlds worst "dad-bod".

Any ideas or tips from the veterans itt?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

LochNessMonster posted:

About 10 years back I trained Kung Fu for a few years but we hardly ever sparred which looks like the most intense way of learning to me, so I went looking for a sport that rolls every lesson.

So I decided to follow the advice from the OP and just do it. I signed up for a starters class Jiu Jitsu (japanese, not brazilian) to see if I like it.

The JJ school I signed up at is doing an entry class for 10 lessons for 50 bucks for atarters over 25, which is perfect for me I guess. I'm horribly out of shape and have the worlds worst "dad-bod".

Any ideas or tips from the veterans itt?

Yeah, if you want to do something that involves a lot of live sparring find something that has an actual competition ruleset, i.e. not traditional jiu jitsu

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, if you want to do something that involves a lot of live sparring find something that has an actual competition ruleset, i.e. not traditional jiu jitsu

Ok, I specifically checked if they did any sparring and I was told they do every lesson.

I was under the impression that traditional jiu jitsu also has competitions?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Link the site, or ideally, some lesson/training videos.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I was under the impression that traditional jiu jitsu also has competitions?

Not really, no. Though I guess JJJ practitioners are as free as anyone else to enter open grappling tournaments.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The university martial arts clubs held a demo night tonight. Twelve clubs all did quick introductions and then held short lessons so that all of us got to try six different things. Doing that tiny bit of aikido again after so long felt like coming home. :3: Judo still won out, because they were cool folk and I really need to learn to grapple. Time to wash my gi for next week, I suppose.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Good choice. Keep your nails short.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Only one week until I start judo too

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's the thread's general opinion on JJJ? Every person who I've ever met who has practiced it had that whole "I do real jiu jitsu not that fake brazilian stuff :smug:" vibe.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Its a bit aikido-y imo but with more useful technique

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

It looks like a bunch of useful techniques, but taught without depth, so you'd struggle to hit them on a resisting opponent. The setups and followups and situational adjustments and stuff aren't there.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What's the thread's general opinion on JJJ? Every person who I've ever met who has practiced it had that whole "I do real jiu jitsu not that fake brazilian stuff :smug:" vibe.

I went to a JJJ practice at a place in Livermore, California once and there was a lot of "can't do full-speed practice, our techniques are too deadly", finger locks, and out of shape dudes. Also some poo poo about JJJ's healing methods or whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pham Nuwen posted:

I went to a JJJ practice at a place in Livermore, California once and there was a lot of "can't do full-speed practice, our techniques are too deadly", finger locks, and out of shape dudes. Also some poo poo about JJJ's healing methods or whatever.

Yeaaaaah that's what I imagined. The guy who really stands out in my memory who was like "Oh you box and do a bit of grappling on the side? Well I have a brown belt in jjj :smug:" would really fit into that crowd. Becuase he's a delusional doughy dork.

e.

It's a shame that jjj is tainted like that. Though I suppose that anyone who is of the type to insist on JAPANESE jiu jitsu instead of Brazilian is the kind of person who would be more likely to buy into McDojo stuff, and anyone who is just about effective techniques and proper rolling likely doesn't give a gently caress what it's called.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 8, 2015

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Hello, I am here to learn The Mysteries Of The East, please

none of that crude fighting stuff

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

Sucks to hear about people's experiences with JJJ are so bad. One of the instructors that used to teach at my gym has a background in JJJ but trains everything else as well (wrestling, judo, BJJ) and did some college levels athletics at SJSU. At one of the big belt promotion rolls, he did a round with Dave Camarillo and it was pretty awesome to watch. He would also smoke before teaching no gi and try to teach us some crazy tenth planet like poo poo that no one got.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Siivola posted:

The university martial arts clubs held a demo night tonight. Twelve clubs all did quick introductions and then held short lessons so that all of us got to try six different things. Doing that tiny bit of aikido again after so long felt like coming home. :3: Judo still won out, because they were cool folk and I really need to learn to grapple. Time to wash my gi for next week, I suppose.
This is in Helsinki, right? If so, I just signed up for the same judo class as you.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sniper Party posted:

This is in Helsinki, right? If so, I just signed up for the same judo class as you.
Yesss. :dance: I'll be the goony guy with the topknot and the beard.

You do HEMA stuff too?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Yeah, though lack of money and time has kept me from training for way too long (again).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Time to get a couple of copies of Jessica Finley's Medieval Wrestling and be the most obnoxious cross-training nerds. :getin:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Japanese Jujitsu covers such a broad range of schools that it is hard to make any judgments about it without knowing the specific school. On paper JJJ looks like it could have developed into a truly complete martial art, it has striking, throws, submissions etc. And it is the progenitor of judo which beget BJJ etc. But the general lack of full sparring and competition has hindered it. And it doesn't seem like it has evolved. Where it has evolved, it has become a different art i.e. judo, BJJ, aikido etc. I feel like a true pressure tested JJJ could have evolved into something more akin to modern mma but it hasn't.

I don't practice any martial art other then BJJ and I think the greatest conceptual enemy of BJJ is the "pure water" concept. The idea that some progenitor did everything perfectly and we err when we dilute these teaching by changing things. I much prefer Rolls idea of taking everything that works from anywhere and integrating into the system.

It is interesting to see the development even within a single art. BJJ has had many evolutionary branches which have been driven by competitive rule sets. BJJ for MMA vs BJJ for grappling. Gi vs No Gi.

Our school is philosophically not a points oriented place and our instructors emphasize that our progression should always be to submission. And not just submission in getting a tap but being able to break when an opponent is unwilling to tap.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 8, 2015

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yuns posted:

Japanese Jujitsu covers such a broad range of schools that it is hard to make any judgments about it without knowing the specific school. On paper JJJ looks like it could have developed into a truly complete martial art, it has striking, throws, submissions etc. And it is the progenitor of judo which beget BJJ etc. But the general lack of full sparring and competition has hindered it. And it doesn't seem like it has evolved. Where it has evolved, it has become a different art i.e. judo, BJJ, aikido etc. I feel like a true pressure tested JJJ could have evolved into something more akin to modern mma but it hasn't.

I don't practice any martial art other then BJJ and I think the greatest conceptual enemy of BJJ is the "pure water" concept. The idea that some progenitor did everything perfectly and we err when we dilute these teaching by changing things. I much prefer Rolls idea of taking everything that works from anywhere and integrating into the system.

It is interesting to see the development even within a single art. BJJ has had many evolutionary branches which have been driven by competitive rule sets. BJJ for MMA vs BJJ for grappling. Gi vs No Gi.

Our school is philosophically not a points oriented place and our instructors emphasize that our progression should always be to submission. And not just submission in getting a tap but being able to break when an opponent is unwilling to tap.

Ok, so that "broad range" bit is what I was wondering. Neat, and sad. Thanks much.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

. And not just submission in getting a tap but being able to break when an opponent is unwilling to tap.
How do you prepare for actually breaking some one without actually breaking some one. Like how do you mentally prepare to do that, without being subjected to that level of violence on a daily basis. Even though mentally I know chokes are way more dangerous to the persons life than breaking an opponents limb, I feel as if I could finish a choke and not entirely freak about it whereas if I finished a knee or arm bar I would probably puke and just be a wreck.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
There's a guy at work that does both BJJ and JJJ he likes both and hasn't got any delusions about either of them, he's also a police officer so has some experience with what's effective, I met his JJJ instructor once though we had a chat and when I mentioned I did had practiced Muay Thai for 7 yeahs as well as dabbling in grappling he said I need to stop messing about and do a real martial art.....

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

KildarX posted:

How do you prepare for actually breaking some one without actually breaking some one. Like how do you mentally prepare to do that, without being subjected to that level of violence on a daily basis. Even though mentally I know chokes are way more dangerous to the persons life than breaking an opponents limb, I feel as if I could finish a choke and not entirely freak about it whereas if I finished a knee or arm bar I would probably puke and just be a wreck.
There are 2 interrelated concepts here in my idea. Note that I am not talking about breaking a limb at your local tournament. I mean for fights, mma or pro grappling. The first is the mechanical ability to break the limb or tear through the joint. Frequently, people have loose submissions and assume they can break the limb because it hyperextends and their opponent taps. However when it comes to finishing a game opponent who will not tap to pain and will accept a sprain, they find that they cannot finish. So technical mastery is critical. For example, breaking an arm over your hip instead of keeping it centered for an armbar.

The second point is how do you get over the mental barrier of injuring someone. Frankly I am not sure. Of course in training we try not to hurt our opponent but we do try to use the submission that could get us there and practice getting it and progressively putting it on. I am not sure how to get that killer instinct but if you've practiced it enough the difference between tap and break should just be increasing pressure. You just continue until you get a tap or verbal submission. I'm sure you've heard and felt joints pop and tear before. You'll just continue through that.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My teammate broke a guy's arm in a tournament when he wouldn't tap and the ref wouldn't stop it. On the video you can watch him look at the guy, look at the ref and then visibly give a tiny shrug and fully bridge his hips and extend the arm until it went backwards.

So mentally idk he didn't feel too bad. he gave a lot of time for someone to intervene.

For me back almost a decade ago a guy tried to defend a baseball bat choke with his fingers and I remembered very clearly my instructor told me to not do that because they could break my fingers. So... I tried to break his fingers. At the time it felt like it was just laws of physics so I felt fine. Now, I look back and am glad I didn't succeed but in the moment I had zero doubt.

I think you're making a good point about really understanding how to finish a joint lock, many people kinda play it loose and could benefit from like snapping a broom handle or something. I know I get lazy with it too. but mentally it's a little weird how it feels like you're just finishing a math equation vs hurting someone.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Finished my first ever lesson of judo yesterday and have a question for judo people. When does the hurting stop?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Get used to going through life with an elevated level of aches, pains, bruises, and scrapes. At first, it's really tough. But then it just fades into the background.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

Finished my first ever lesson of judo yesterday and have a question for judo people. When does the hurting stop?

Why would you want it too?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

n3rdal3rt posted:

Why would you want it too?

I want to be able to walk up stairs.

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling the answer might be a version of "suck it up" and the lesson was a lot of fun so I'm looking forward to next week. At least I know what to expect a bit more now.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ultragonk posted:

I want to be able to walk up stairs.

Thanks for the replies, I had a feeling the answer might be a version of "suck it up" and the lesson was a lot of fun so I'm looking forward to next week. At least I know what to expect a bit more now.

It will fade as you learn to relax and your body gets use to it, then you get to watch other new people come in and be sore.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

n3rdal3rt posted:

It will fade as you learn to relax and your body gets use to it, then you get to watch other new people come in and be sore.

I was pretty relaxed when we began some throws but as I got more tired (I am so unfit and goon fat it's criminal) I found I was more stiff and unsure.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Yuns posted:

You just continue until you get a tap or verbal submission. I'm sure you've heard and felt joints pop and tear before. You'll just continue through that.

Yea, this is why in tournament I pretty much exclusively attack for chokes even when in NO-Gi this is probably really dumb. I just don't have the mental fortitude to give it that extra leverage to pop a dudes arm or leg or neck whose only mistake is being too dumb to just tap out.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ultragonk posted:

I was pretty relaxed when we began some throws but as I got more tired (I am so unfit and goon fat it's criminal) I found I was more stiff and unsure.

At first you'll have muscle soreness and that'S the most annoying part. This goes away real fast (if you train often at all you probably won't get any after 2-3 weeks). You'll have something aching quite often though, that's just part of doing a sport that involves being thrown to the ground repeatedly

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Ultragonk posted:

the first month or so is rough but it goes away once your body gets used to it

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Yuns posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that many (if not most) JJJ styles around today do not have an ancient lineage and are quite modern in origin. They contain techniques reverse-engineered from other styles but maintain this vague notion of "tradition" so they don't spar for some reason? One of the better JJJ schools I've seen was a Danzan-Ryu school that wore Judo gis and did randori with Judo guys, but also incorporated standing grappling/locks/etc. They make a real effort to balance the two, but the problem is that it isn't safe to incorporate things like wrist throws into randori, so their randori consists entirely of Judo throws. At that point why no just do Judo?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

At first you'll have muscle soreness and that'S the most annoying part. This goes away real fast (if you train often at all you probably won't get any after 2-3 weeks). You'll have something aching quite often though, that's just part of doing a sport that involves being thrown to the ground repeatedly

Due to time constraints I'm currently only able to train for 2 hours a week. I'm trying to find more time what, in your opinion, is a good amount of training time?

Migz
Apr 27, 2006
I'm looking at a new bjj school. I'm currently paying 100 a month for 4 classes. New school is 7 classes I can attend for 179 with a 200 down payment and a year contract. (Free gi included) without any names the new teacher is a legend / multiple time world champ. It's a big increase in price for me but I want to take my game to the next step. ( only a blue belt here)

Question is. Is this a totally off the wall price for a big bjj name? Do schools normall negotiate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Space human being posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that many (if not most) JJJ styles around today do not have an ancient lineage and are quite modern in origin. They contain techniques reverse-engineered from other styles but maintain this vague notion of "tradition" so they don't spar for some reason? One of the better JJJ schools I've seen was a Danzan-Ryu school that wore Judo gis and did randori with Judo guys, but also incorporated standing grappling/locks/etc. They make a real effort to balance the two, but the problem is that it isn't safe to incorporate things like wrist throws into randori, so their randori consists entirely of Judo throws. At that point why no just do Judo?

It's more because wristlock throws don't work against resisting opponents...

• Locked thread