Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Node posted:

It would be so useful to have a modern strategy UI for WC2, but just imagine how terribly overpowered orcs will be. Bloodlust is amazing. Having that cast on everything will make humans irrelevant.

I remember being a complete moron and playing my friend and we both played Human and would sit there spamming heal and my mom would pick up the phone and disconnect me. If only I had gone Orc.

How much did Paladin's heal for anyways? I remember them being a complete pain in the rear end when the computer playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Rand alPaul posted:

I remember being a complete moron and playing my friend and we both played Human and would sit there spamming heal and my mom would pick up the phone and disconnect me. If only I had gone Orc.

How much did Paladin's heal for anyways? I remember them being a complete pain in the rear end when the computer playing them.

I don't remember. I just remember it not mattering with bloodlusted Ogre Magi turning paladins into paste.

WC2 is the only game I can think of off hand where paladins suck. Well, in comparison to their counterpart at least.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Paladins healed for like 1HP per 6 mana that went into the cast, or something around that.

Depending on your upgrade levels, bloodlust gave Ogres like 3x more damage, so it's pretty lopsided.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Polymorph was OK against high cost units like dragons, but mage mana was far more efficient with blizzards with a touch of invisibility thrown in. I think Deathknights were a bit better with D&D/haste, and occasionally unholy armour. Bloodlust was king though, and I don't know why anyone would play Human.

I liked the archers :)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Frostwerks posted:

I liked the archers :)

I've got axe for joo.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Archers much better than trolls. +3 damage vs a useless regen on a glass cannon.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Frostwerks posted:

Archers much better than trolls. +3 damage vs a useless regen on a glass cannon.

You want axe?

Onehandclapping
Oct 21, 2010
So are any goons interested in getting a custom games group going? The last group seems to have petered out without going anywhere, but I'm still interested in getting some fellow old school nerds together for enfo's, Pimp my peon, Heroes & Empires, all the good tower defenses.

There's the currently dead steam group, WC3Goons, which I'm willing to try using again. Join up and we'll see if we can some good old no noobs pro only Warcraft 3 custom mapage going asap.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Paladins healed for like 1HP per 6 mana that went into the cast, or something around that.

Depending on your upgrade levels, bloodlust gave Ogres like 3x more damage, so it's pretty lopsided.
Bloodlust was also better because you could easily see which units had the buff, whereas heal was incredibly tedious to use on mass.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

Well, you did get Trolls on the race with Haste and Bloodlust.

Now Archers with Haste and Bloodlust in team games, that was more like it!

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

As a dumb kid I really enjoyed parking zeppelins directly over enemy destroyers and watching them freak out. Thats my WC2 story.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Onehandclapping posted:

So are any goons interested in getting a custom games group going? The last group seems to have petered out without going anywhere, but I'm still interested in getting some fellow old school nerds together for enfo's, Pimp my peon, Heroes & Empires, all the good tower defenses.

There's the currently dead steam group, WC3Goons, which I'm willing to try using again. Join up and we'll see if we can some good old no noobs pro only Warcraft 3 custom mapage going asap.

The one goon custom gaming sessions was pretty good, so I'd love to see it revived

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would also be down for that. I rebought and installed War3. I got 7 Blademaster, X Hero Siege, LOTR Hero Siege, some TDs, FM Vampire Hunters, all that good poo poo.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Node posted:

I don't remember. I just remember it not mattering with bloodlusted Ogre Magi turning paladins into paste.

WC2 is the only game I can think of off hand where paladins suck. Well, in comparison to their counterpart at least.

I seem to recall the first 6 months of WoW having really bad rear end Shaman compared to Paladins, but yeah you're right, in general the holy knight type guy is almost always ridiculously good.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Lacklustre Hero posted:

The one goon custom gaming sessions was pretty good, so I'd love to see it revived

I'd like a session that at least once features those lovely Dragon Ball Z maps, loving Cell Rampage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rand alPaul posted:

I seem to recall the first 6 months of WoW having really bad rear end Shaman compared to Paladins, but yeah you're right, in general the holy knight type guy is almost always ridiculously good.

In vanilla (broadly speaking) Paladins were better for PvE and Shaman were better for PvP, then things changed a lot when both factions got both classes and hybrids were allowed to do things other than heal in raids.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jsor posted:

DOTA 2 has custom maps now, and they're actually pretty fun! There are a few issues, and it's really early on so there's not a huge selection yet. But they have a lot of easier WC3 remakes (Enfos, Footman Frenzy), some of them by the same creators as the originals. Some of the stuff can take getting used to, though (as far as I can tell there's no a+move).

I think the biggest problem hobbling DOTA2 from really taking off custom map-wise is that it's loving hard to put anything together for it. It's basically just a bunch of developer tools and an integrated game finder. Like, c'mon, I don't want to have to learn how to use Hammer and program in LUA just to make an Enfos clone!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Also DotA 2 reborn's client is insanely bad right now.

If there's another custom night it'd be smart to throw up some game DL links beforehand.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
How hard is it to create like a custom hero in the editor? Nothing too involved. No custom spells or poo poo like that. Just something like a blademaster type with all passive combat skills and I guess maybe Avatar as an ultimate? Something like crit, bash, cleaving attack, avatar. Or maybe evasion or something, IDK.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
It's trivially easy. Edit the abilities to your liking in the ability editor, and assign them to your hero in the unit editor.

If the abilities you want to give your hero are already hero abilities, all you have to do is change 1 field in the unit editor to assign them.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Hmm yeah just gave it a shot and nope that's waaaaay beyond what I am capable of doing. I've never been good at mapmaking though. I remember trying to pick it up from an AoE2 strategy guide I got from Books a Million back in the day and even following step by step I couldn't do poo poo. Oh well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This is an easy way, but it only changes the default blademaster and doesn't create a new hero.

You have to open up a map first, if you don't have one ready just pick one of the premade ones and save it as a new name (be sure to change the description too for ease of finding, it's the first option under the Scenario tab). Open the object editor (f6) and locate the blademaster. In the field to the right you'll have a ton of crap, pick the second from the top which says Abilities - Hero. Double click to edit. Then you simply select the abilities you wish to exchange and press the Edit Hero Ability button and pick your choice in the list. You can just delete them and add new ones but it's easier to just change them. There's nothing stopping you from picking several ultimates or more than three regular ones but you'll still only have 10 levels with the usual restrictions and the ability buttons can get a bit crowded and some may even be missing if you pick too many.

Drunken Brawler does not stack with Critical Strike or Evasion though, just a heads up.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Rand alPaul posted:

according to some article i read god-knows-where an equivalent number of paladins and ogre magi fighting each other with perfect play on each side would result in the paladins winning every time because healing outdid bloodlust

it's just that it required perfect (or very near perfect) play for it to outperform bloodlust, like "you must be a robot to do this" levels of poo poo

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
IIRC it healed 1 HP for 6 mana, and exorcism did 1 damage for 4 mana.

I never bothered with heal but I almost always got exorcism. The range on that spell was crazy.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

President Ark posted:

according to some article i read god-knows-where an equivalent number of paladins and ogre magi fighting each other with perfect play on each side would result in the paladins winning every time because healing outdid bloodlust

it's just that it required perfect (or very near perfect) play for it to outperform bloodlust, like "you must be a robot to do this" levels of poo poo

Yeah this was 28k dial-up AOL times and we'd both have like 2-3 paladins just living a long time while spamming heal. He was a jerk and always ran past everything and killed my peasants. I remember polymorph being really hard to pull off, I think any sort of awesome micro would require playing on LAN back in those days.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Warcraft 2 had some neat micro tricks you could do that weren't reaction or speed intensive.

You could always predict the exact tile a unit would pop out of a barracks, for example, so you could place your units that were attacking the building in the exact positions to wreck the new units without moving.

In the right situations you could use that info to push new units (or peons that finish building) through obstacles like forests or mountains.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

President Ark posted:

That just makes me want to play an upgraded version of Warcraft 2 with autocast even more now.

Blizzard would probably make a profit doing so, even in 2015.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Warcraft 2 had some neat micro tricks you could do that weren't reaction or speed intensive.

You could always predict the exact tile a unit would pop out of a barracks, for example, so you could place your units that were attacking the building in the exact positions to wreck the new units without moving.

In the right situations you could use that info to push new units (or peons that finish building) through obstacles like forests or mountains.

You seem to know what you're talking about and I remember using it for base defense by farm and tower arrangement, but do you remember how to simulcast? Cuz if you can pull it off once in a blue moon, 9 fireballs at once shredded chokepoint assaults.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.azubu.tv/WCAwc3en WCA Wc3 tournament vod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZUMp1McDaQ also a playlist of VODs without commentary

moon and fly100% are still playing this game O_O

they have some kind of observer mode mod that allows zooming out and shows unit counts

emdash fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 19, 2015

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
In case anyone was secretly interested, fly100% came back from 2-0 down to take WCA over yaws.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheQat posted:

In case anyone was secretly interested, fly100% came back from 2-0 down to take WCA over yaws.

orc master race :(

I was really rooting for humans here as a filthy human player myself

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Yeah I was rooting for not-Orc but it was a pretty impressive showing all around

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Does anyone remember Burbenog's TD? I'd love to play that map again.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I remember making a gold split version of burb (for less than 4 players) and it made the map very easy, so the challenge was mostly just getting good teammates.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Half of all Burbenog matches were finding good teammates, but the pool was always so small you couldn't really turn away anyone, just hope they know what the mode in the title means for all of us. The other half was keeping your whole team from dropping through the whole game. After that it was a simple matter of knowing exactly what the build order is for your chosen builder and preparing for rounds and sharing essentials across bases. But that complexity is what made it fun! Whatever Maul's were always unbalanced and buggy and boring. The straight line ones weren't so fun fun either, but dman dat Burb.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Polymorph was OK against high cost units like dragons, but mage mana was far more efficient with blizzards with a touch of invisibility thrown in. I think Deathknights were a bit better with D&D/haste, and occasionally unholy armour. Bloodlust was king though, and I don't know why anyone would play Human.

Because in order to beat Orc you had to pull some crazy poo poo out of your rear end, and the average Orc player back in the day usually pumped ogre mages and nothing else. Good human players made effective use of knights, mages, and some gryphons mixed in. Much more fun and interesting than just ogres, ogres, ogres. Orc was certainly easier to play, but I still remember playing Human and eventually wearing down Orc players who relied on killing me early with bloodlusted ogres and when that didn't work, failed to adapt.

Orcs' greatest strength was also their greatest weakness. Bloodlust was so good most players relied on it to the exclusion of pretty much everything else. But when you did match up against an Orc player who wasn't a one trick pony, yeah, most of the time it was a massacre.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Reminder that there are still war2 tournaments being played http://youtu.be/IvT9BZEcJ84

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

TheQat posted:

Reminder that there are still war2 tournaments being played http://youtu.be/IvT9BZEcJ84

This isn't the same when there aren't any unit sounds. That's like, half of Warcraft 2.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's also pretty choppy. I hope Blizzard remakes Warcraft II for modern rigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

TheQat posted:

High resources?! Some tournament