Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Len posted:

Skullkickers is also pretty rad.
Seconding this. I actually only found out about Skullkickers literally today, and I feel like it's something I should have know about years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

rocketrobot posted:

Highly questionable in that it's done poorly. I was amazed at how it went from that to amazing in 4 panels.

Yeah I would have written the comic off based on the first few pages if people hadn't been going on and on about how incredible K6BD is.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Stand Still Stay Silent is cool, really gorgeous and updates at an mind boggling rate.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Brannock posted:

Yeah I would have written the comic off based on the first few pages if people hadn't been going on and on about how incredible K6BD is.

If you guys just mean how awkward it is I'm pretty sure that's intentional because Allison is a lesbian

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I tried to read K6BD but gave up pretty quickly. It wasn't the "awkwardness" it was the boringness. Good art just couldn't make up for a story that seemed to be going no-where.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Saraiguma posted:

If you guys just mean how awkward it is I'm pretty sure that's intentional because Allison is a lesbian

Citation needed? To be fair I can be pretty bad at reading between the lines.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I find both "Our Little Adventure" and "Will Save World for Gold" to be acceptable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cliff Racer posted:

I tried to read K6BD but gave up pretty quickly. It wasn't the "awkwardness" it was the boringness. Good art just couldn't make up for a story that seemed to be going no-where.
The first chapter, especially the first half, is, basically, a roller coaster ride through the world while you acclimate to what's going on. I can't say what the other chapters will be like yet since the second one just started, but given how things have been happening, I'm hopeful.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Seconding this. I actually only found out about Skullkickers literally today, and I feel like it's something I should have know about years ago.

I was telling a friend of mine about the series and I described it best as "If you and I were the only PCs and had a DM that encouraged our terrible terrible plans by not just getting us killed for trying to have fun."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

New update!!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

What exactly do we think the last panel is?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/vampire.htm

D&D 3.5 posted:

Energy Drain (Su)
Living creatures hit by a vampire’s slam attack (or any other natural weapon the vampire might possess) gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the vampire gains 5 temporary hit points. A vampire can use its energy drain ability once per round.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Rygar201 posted:

What exactly do we think the last panel is?

Level drain, I'd imagine.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Ah, we finally found out what 'that jutsu' is.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I did loving love the warrior dudes stunned reactions to the Spellsplinter feat (which is apparently way the gently caress better than Disruptive or Spellbreaker from Pathfinder)

Wrecan :wow: or maybe :vince:

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 8, 2015

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

YggiDee posted:

Citation needed? To be fair I can be pretty bad at reading between the lines.

She's really very clearly uncomfortable having sex with her boyfriend and appears to be doing so only to fit cultural expectations, also in the pre-k6bd mspa forum fanventure her internal narrative all but shouts I AM EXTREMELY GAY AND EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THAT FACT, but honestly even in just the 'canon' story there's more than enough subtext to paint her as a lesbian

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm always a sucker for events in stories where characters are recognized for things that they actually did on-screen.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"And I'm just now noticin' tha obvious allegorical construct!"

:allears:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

my dad posted:

"And I'm just now noticin' tha obvious allegorical construct!"

:allears:

Durkon has been so much fun this arc. I love it.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder if Roy will really strike down Durkon.

I wonder if any of the bystanders knows about how vampiric possession works.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If they don't then no one does, I'd think.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

At least one of them should, if one of the random Clerics in Gnomergan did.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rygar201 posted:

I did loving love the warrior dudes stunned reactions to the Spellsplinter feat (which is apparently way the gently caress better than Disruptive or Spellbreaker from Pathfinder)

Wrecan :wow: or maybe :vince:

Wrecan's right: no fighter alive knew that move. Roy had to learn it from his dead grandfather's spirit.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Hence the strip name, I guess.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Wrecan's right: no fighter alive knew that move. Roy had to learn it from his dead grandfather's spirit.

Oh I know, it's just he sort of storytelling stuff I go nuts for as a player. I'm a sucker for narrative rewards.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Given that the Order knows Xykon's spell list, and they KNOW he's energy drain happy, I simply cannot believe that Roy, of all people, hasn't invested in something to protect himself from negative energy attacks.

On the other hand, if he has, then Durkula is probably out of tricks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

He was counting on Durkon's new spell for protecting against that sort of thing.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

He was counting on Durkon's new spell for protecting against that sort of thing.

I also refuse to believe that roy wouldn't except some kind of one on one fight. Seeing as he has faced that challenge before.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Shwqa posted:

I also refuse to believe that roy wouldn't except some kind of one on one fight. Seeing as he has faced that challenge before.

He's ALSO already had to deal with someone draining his levels when he fought Sabine, surely he would have learned from that fight to maybe invest in a defence against it.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

He's ALSO already had to deal with someone draining his levels when he fought Sabine, surely he would have learned from that fight to maybe invest in a defence against it.

ultrafilter posted:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But both when he was fighting Sabine and Xykon's flying circus Durkon was nowhere near and didn't protect him other than by a few buffs before he jumped the zombie dragon. Surely he's smart enough to realize that he can't completely rely on someone being there to protect him. He even died because he couldn't get a level 1 spell on him.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

There's not much you can do to protect against level drain that doesn't involve someone casting powerful spells on you. There's only so far magic items can go. As a fighter, Roy really just has to not get pegged and rely on his good attack bonus to help him win the fight even with some negative levels.

e: like, the advantage is definitely to Roy here, unless Durkula gets a few more lucky hits in and drains him so much they're on an even footing in melee combat. But a cleric with no magic weapon bonuses is gonna have a hard time, in general, landing attacks on a fighter.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Android Blues posted:

There's not much you can do to protect against level drain that doesn't involve someone casting powerful spells on you. There's only so far magic items can go. As a fighter, Roy really just has to not get pegged and rely on his good attack bonus to help him win the fight even with some negative levels.

e: like, the advantage is definitely to Roy here, unless Durkula gets a few more lucky hits in and drains him so much they're on an even footing in melee combat. But a cleric with no magic weapon bonuses is gonna have a hard time, in general, landing attacks on a fighter.

Isn't the issue that the level drain means Roy can't use his spellsplinter feat?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Android Blues posted:

I dunno, Nale seems to have figured out a way.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

chippocrates posted:

Isn't the issue that the level drain means Roy can't use his spellsplinter feat?

Level drain doesn't remove feats - just reduces HP, attack bonus, and saving throws (and effective level and spells, but those don't matter here).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The problem of relying on a friendly buff to protect against a Lich's Energy Drain spells is that you're always exactly one epic level dispel magic away from vulnerability. The thing is, at this point, Roy knows most of what Xykon is capable of. If he doesn't have a permanent magical item protecting him from negative energy, then he doesn't deserve to win this or any other fight, because he is inexplicably dumb.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

At which point he'd be exactly one Mage's Disjunctuon away from losing that protection. gently caress, dispel magic could turn it off for 1D4 rounds anyway. There's only so much you can do against no save level drain.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rygar201 posted:

At which point he'd be exactly one Mage's Disjunctuon away from losing that protection. gently caress, dispel magic could turn it off for 1D4 rounds anyway. There's only so much you can do against no save level drain.

Yeah, but for dispel to shut it down, you have to target that item specifically. A general area dispel can shut down everyone's highest level cast buff (probably negative energy protection) in the area. A targeted dispel at Roy would only take down all the spells cast on him, but leave alone permanent magical items. For Xykon to shut down an item, he'd have to a) guess correctly that it exists and b) know what it is. Also, Xykon is a sorceror, not a wizard, so he probably doesn't have Disjunction. He might have it, but he hasn't shown it yet, and those spells known are a limited quantity.

The point is that a magic item that protects against negative energy is the absolute best course of action here, and Roy would be dumb as hell for not having acquired one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Even Nale had to rely on potions, and he was sleeping with a literal succubus. I can't imagine Roy would have had the opportunity to procure anything of the sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Xykon definitely doesn't have Disjunction, and Roy knows this.

I doubt he could get a scroll for it either; it's a running plot point that there are really very few high-level magic users in the world. Maybe he might have lifted one from Dorukan's dungeon.